PDA

View Full Version : Mock Deadline Playoffs - #3 Cleveland Cavaliers vs #6 Toronto Raptors

BlondeBomber41
02-24-2010, 01:29 PM
This season we did a mock trade deadline in which users on this site took over as GM's of every team in the NBA. The goal was to improve your team the most before the real life trade deadline. The users then voted on playoff seedings of the other conference, and now its up to you to vote for who wins each matchup.

Please remember that this is just a game and there is no reason to vote for a team just because thats actually your favorite team in real life. Everybody worked really hard on their teams and it's only fair that you judge each team based on that teams talent, not that teams name.

At the bottom each team has sent in a write up explaining why they feel they would win the series. Please read each writeup before you make your decision, to be fair to the GM's who wrote it.

Cleveland has the homecourt advantage due to being the higher seed.

Cleveland Cavaliers Lineup:

C - Andrew Bogut / Nenad Krstic / Serge Ibaka
PF - David West / Leon Powe / Matt Bonner
SF - Ron Artest / Trevor Ariza / Jarvis Hayes
SG - Monta Ellis / Marco Belinelli / Keith Bogans
PG - Jason Kidd / Nate Robinson

Toronto Raptors Lineup:

Andre Miller/Jarret Jack/Marcus Banks
Andre Igoudala/Javaris Crittenton
Hedo Turkoglu/Sonny Weems
Andrea Bargnani/Amir Johnson/Reggie Evans
Chris Kaman/Rasho Nesterovic/Patrick O'Bryant

Cleveland Cavaliers Writeup:
The Point guard matchup

Jason Kidd Vs. Andre Miller:
In ever way, Jason Kidd is the better player. Andre Miller brings scoring to the table (13 PPG) but other than that, he is a poor excuse for a point guard. Jason Kidd is a ten time all star (including this season), 5 time all NBA, 4 time defensive team (recently 2006) and 5 time 2nd team defense (recently 2007). Kidd was doing that, when Andre Miller was backing up Steve Blake (:puke:) to start the year Jason also out rebounds Miller 5.2 to 3.2. The thing that really sets these two apart is Kidd's passing ability as he is the 2nd best in NBA history. Andre Miller...well he can't pass. Andre Miller is not a three point threat, while Jason Kidd is stroking them all day.

The Shooting Guard Matchup:

Monta Ellis vs. Andre Iguodala
Interesting matchup here. Monta Ellis, scoring nearly 26 a game, versus, Iggy, scoring 17 a game. Monta scorers about 10 more, plus he is doing it efficiently shooting 4% higher. Monta Ellis is said to play no defense, but that is not the case. Monta has raised his steals per game up to 2.2, which is good for 3rd in the league. Andre is proven he is not a #1 player, as his 76er team continues to struggle. Not only that, but Monta is also much faster and quicker then andre so even though andre is a very good defender, monta would not have that much of a problem with iggy's defense at all. All and all, Monta is much better at offense, already almost as good on defense, and much more effective then iggy which makes him in this case, the overall better player.

The Small Forward Matchup:

Ron Artest vs. Hedo Turkaglu
Stats=even. Artest though, is much better than Turk. Artest's stats might be even with turk, but currently he is on a team with kobe, gasol, bynum and odom that can all score. Yet, he has made the lakers in real life a lot better at defense that they became one of the top defenders in the league! Ron is a former defensive player of the year, 4 time all defensive team, and has been an all star. Lets look at Hedo's hardware. Most improved player and 2nd rookie team member. Hmmm... I take Artest. Hedo got known for being left open in the playoffs and hit threes, but he is also very inconsistent and shots in very bad percentages] while Ron Artest does all the dirty work and stops the best players in the league from scoring. Artest even helped the rockets last season get to the 2nd round which they have not done in a long time. His defense is still great, his shooting percentages are great, he is much more effective then Hedo will ever be.

The Power Forward Matchup:

David West vs. Andre Bargani
David West, two time all star (2008 and 2009) against a number one pick, that should not have been taken #1. David West has the edge on scoring, Rebounding, Assists, Steals, and FG%. This is all coming in a down year for West and a career year for Baragani. I mean is it really that close? Bargs is still a huge liability on defense and for a C/PF, he only avgs 6 rebounds? Are you kidding me? Even Brendon Haywood would be a pretty good match up with this guy in terms of rebounds and defense. I think we all know the best player here ;)

The Center Matchup:

Andrew Bogut vs. Chris Kaman
Andew Bogut, 2nd in the NBA in Blocks, one of the best true centers in the NBA. He will shut down Chris Kaman without breaking a sweat. Bogut is very consistent, a better defender, and as good as a rebounder as Kaman. Kaman is also really 10-12 ppg scorer, he just doing well this year because the Clippers have no other post presence.

The Bench:

Nate Robinson vs. Jarrett Jack
3 time slam dunk king, face of the Knicks against a ok bench player. Nate can do it all, score, pass, and block guys like Yao. Jack can't do Jack.

Marco Belinelli vs. Jarvis Crittenton
I dont even think Jarvis counts. Even if he did, there is a reason that he hadn't played a game for the young Washington Wizards.

Trevor Ariza vs. Sonny Weems
If this was real life, Trevor would easily win 6th man award. Ariza plays great defense, can drive, shoot, and do pretty much anything he wants to do. He is the face of the Rockets.

Leon Powe vs. Amir Johnson
Leon Powe was the 6th man of the Celtics last season. Amir Johnson didnt really do anything. He is not even close to as good as our 3rd string center Serge Ibaka

Nenad Kristic vs. Rasho Nesterovic
Rasho's play has declined a lot in the past few years, he is no longer an everyday player, and he has proved it with his embarresing 2 rebounds and 4 points a game. Nenad has been doing very well since returning from Europe.

I think we all know who the best team here is ;)

Toronto Raptors did not send in a writeup.

rapjuicer06
02-24-2010, 01:36 PM
i picked cleveland because the match-ups are clearly in there favor. but both benches are very very thin and not very good

jimbobjarree
02-24-2010, 01:42 PM
lol andre Miller a poor excuse for a point guard

JNA17
02-24-2010, 01:54 PM
going with the cavs on this one

td0tsfinest
02-24-2010, 02:19 PM
I picked the Raptors cause I'm a homer :p.

If Iggy can contain Ellis, the raps should have the upper hand.

BlondeBomber41
02-24-2010, 02:23 PM
The Cavs writeup is awful in some points. Its completely bias beyond what a GM should be. I voted for them because I dont hold personal grudges while voting, but just like when they voted my team 9th in the West when everyone else had us top 3, their lack of basketball IQ shows through.

1. Andre Miller is actually a very good PG. Not an All Star, but a good player for sure. To say he can't pass is absolutely ridiculous, he has had multiple seasons of averaging over 8 assists per game, including one where he averaged almost 11.

2. Monta Ellis is not as good as Andre Iguodala on defense.... steal totals dont mean squat. In a fast paced offense and with the way Ellis gambles it would be impossible for him not to average a couple steals a game. Also, you say Iggy hasn't proven he can be a #1... well neither has Ellis. Scoring the most points on a awful team like Golden State proves nothing.

3. Nate being a three time dunk champ has no bearing on who is the better player. I'd take Jarrett Jack anyday over Nate. Jack is solid all around, Nate is a chucker who gets torched due to his size on the defensive end.

pebloemer
02-24-2010, 02:28 PM
The Cavs writeup is awful in some points. Its completely bias beyond what a GM should be. I voted for them because I dont hold personal grudges while voting, but just like when they voted my team 9th in the West when everyone else had us top 3, their lack of basketball IQ shows through.

1. Andre Miller is actually a very good PG. Not an All Star, but a good player for sure. To say he can't pass is absolutely ridiculous, he has had multiple seasons of averaging over 8 assists per game, including one where he averaged almost 11.

2. Monta Ellis is not as good as Andre Iguodala on defense.... steal totals dont mean squat. In a fast paced offense and with the way Ellis gambles it would be impossible for him not to average a couple steals a game. Also, you say Iggy hasn't proven he can be a #1... well neither has Ellis. Scoring the most points on a awful team like Golden State proves nothing.

3. Nate being a three time dunk champ has no bearing on who is the better player. I'd take Jarrett Jack anyday over Nate. Jack is solid all around, Nate is a chucker who gets torched due to his size on the defensive end.

I absolutely agree. Very very biased, showing a poor knowledge of opposing teams players IMO.If the Raptor's even bothered to do a write-up, they could have a case in this matchup. But I refuse to vote for ANY team in these things if they don't bother to do a write-up. Cavs be default because the Raptor's didn't even make their argument.

clehmun
02-24-2010, 02:31 PM
didn't agree with some of the things cavs GM said in their writeup, and raptors didn't even post one (he also doesn't even have a club house yet) :pity:
i'll wait and see if raptors post anything here, and vote after.

jimbobjarree
02-24-2010, 02:36 PM
haha I found it hilariously stupid. For anyone thinking about voting, it really is worth the read

Super.
02-24-2010, 02:39 PM
Upset! I like the Raptors here

BlondeBomber41
02-24-2010, 02:40 PM
didn't agree with some of the things cavs GM said in their writeup, and raptors didn't even post one (he also doesn't even have a club house yet) :pity:

The Raptors have a clubhouse. It was just never linked.

GodsSon
02-24-2010, 02:49 PM
Just looking at the rosters, the Raptors have a way better starting unit imo

JermanJaysFan
02-24-2010, 02:54 PM
I decided to take the Cavs. Even though I read the whole way through the most absolutely ******** write up I have ever seen, looking at the rosters I guess I have to be fair.

But if I am to assume that these GMs would hypothetically also have any hand in managing/coaching the personnel they assembled, then it is Raptors all the way.

I mean, look at this comment!

Leon Powe vs. Amir Johnson
Leon Powe was the 6th man of the Celtics last season. Amir Johnson didnt really do anything. He is not even close to as good as our 3rd string center Serge Ibaka
1) Leon Powe played less minutes off the bench for the Celtics than Big Baby and Eddie House.
2) Leon Powe has not played a game this year
3) I would take Johnson over Ibaka in a heart beat. Johnson has really proved himself this year.

clehmun
02-24-2010, 02:55 PM
The Raptors have a clubhouse. It was just never linked.

my bad then. because i remember i kept asking them for a clubhouse 2-3 weeks ago, and they told me they didnt make one and their team is just the current raptors but replacing kaman and gordon with bosh.
then the clubhouse page was never linked, so i didnt bother looking for a clubhouse.

amoore87
02-24-2010, 03:01 PM
raptors

clehmun
02-24-2010, 03:13 PM
the cavs writeup is one of the worst, but i can remember the absolute worst.
the mock 1-2 years ago, where boston? had a superior team but decided to start a no name 7'8 center because the opposing team had yao ming.
his one page write up was bascially telling people that yao ming's only good because he can shoot over people. he's only an all-star because he's tall, and starting a guy who's taller than him would totally stop yao ming and shut him down lol

he ended up losing the series.

A.Mopp
02-24-2010, 03:18 PM
pretty even matchup.

The cavs writeup is hilariously bad

since when does nate having won slam dunk contests mean anything?

HoopsDrive
02-24-2010, 03:20 PM
That write-up was so biased lmao. This is a close series imo, but I think the Cavs take it in 6-7 games.

JerzeyFresh
02-24-2010, 04:06 PM
Cavs sweep. Just kidding i think the Raps have a really nice team, but id think my Cavs would still win in 5-6 games.

JermanJaysFan
02-24-2010, 04:16 PM
the cavs writeup is one of the worst, but i can remember the absolute worst.
the mock 1-2 years ago, where boston? had a superior team but decided to start a no name 7'8 center because the opposing team had yao ming.
his one page write up was bascially telling people that yao ming's only good because he can shoot over people. he's only an all-star because he's tall, and starting a guy who's taller than him would totally stop yao ming and shut him down lol

he ended up losing the series.
Haha! I remember that. Pavel Podkolzin.

I found the thread too:
http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7404271

Boston Celtics Lineup:

PG: Stephon Marbury | Steve Blake | Sam Cassell
SG: Ray Allen | Eddie House | Steve Francis
SF: Lebron James | Bobby Simmons | Awvee Storey
PF: Kevin Garnett | Alexander Johnson | Marcin Gortat
C: Pavel Podkolzin | Erick Dampier | Alonzo Mourning

Miami Heat Lineup:

PG: Mo Williams l Earl Watson l Chris Quinn
SG: Michael Redd l Carlos Delfino l Brent Barry
SF: Tracy McGrady l Jarvis Hayes l Eric Piatkowski
PF: Dirk Nowitzki l Robert Horry l Joel Anthony
C: Yao Ming l Scott Pollard l Stephane Lasme

Boston Celtics Lineup:

Who is Pavel?? Read to find out!

Before anything, I would like to say: PAVEL PODKOLZIN IS 7'5'', THE SAME HEIGHT AS YAO.

Normally, Erick Dampier is our starting C, but we know Yao is much taller than him. My question is how can such an injury prone player (Yao) play against SOMEBODY HIS OWN SIZE?? Of course, Yao has the advantage due to experience, but we know know Yao dominates simply because of his height. Yao does nothing impressive, he just has height, and we have Pavel Podkolzin to match his height. Yao's points WILL decrease and so will his rebounds. Pavel has only played a few NBA games, and he never really got the chance in Dallas, but he got 3 points and 7 rebounds in his first real NBA game. In simple words, THIS GUY HAS THE SAME STUFF YAO HAS, which is HEIGHT. Yao and Pavel are pretty even if you ask me, and the fact that Yao doesn't do anything special proves it, it's real easy to score when you are 7 inches taller than your defender and you are right next to the hoop. Right??????

Anyways, I wanted to focus on that matchup the most because I'm sure many think Pavel is just a 6'10'' guy, no, he's 7'6''.

Sportfan
02-24-2010, 04:48 PM
Bosox you are a ****ing joke :pity:

The cavs team isn't going to work. Ellis is only affective with the balll in his hands. He's being guarded by a much bigger and good defender in iggy. On the other side iggy wil light up Ellis. Miller is a solid player running point, not as good as Kidd, but Kidd isn't a star either. Artest and Hedo is a wash imo. Bargnani I like a lot more than West and same with Kaman. It's really close, ithink the cavs might be better but their fail writeup makes me take the raptors

BosoxPapi61
02-24-2010, 04:57 PM
I am LOLing that this is even close tbh

Super.
02-24-2010, 05:03 PM
Powe shouldnt be elegible...he's still recovering from his THIRD ACL tear

Super.
02-24-2010, 05:05 PM

Why? your writeup is worse than not sending one in...and i dont know what you did the Cavs...but personally...:puke:

And after i see your post from a previous one? :pity:

ChaseMe
02-24-2010, 05:15 PM
The GM of Toronto Raptors created a team that I'm not even homer enough to pick

Sportfan
02-24-2010, 05:25 PM
I am LOL'ing at your writeup

BosoxPapi61
02-24-2010, 05:33 PM
Powe shouldnt be elegible...he's still recovering from his THIRD ACL tear

he is active on the cavs :eyebrow:

Tblaze
02-24-2010, 06:03 PM
I think it's a tie.

If I had to choose, cavs by a small margin. I still think they lack a true #1 option though. Looking forward to going up against them in the next round :)

Ragun
02-24-2010, 06:14 PM

i do have a CH.

ellis gives you points thats it. doesnt contribute in any other way.

i have a better center, west cant guard bargnani, ill admit artest is better defensively than turkolgu but turk was the #1 option on the magic last couple of years. iggy does everything better than ellis except scoring and andre miller scored 52 points on kidd remember?

Ragun
02-24-2010, 06:16 PM
what type of stupid write up was that bosox?

clehmun
02-24-2010, 06:20 PM
what type of stupid write up was that bosox?

then maybe you should atleast type something up. i want to vote for you, but let's see that writeup man! ;)

Sportfan
02-24-2010, 06:49 PM
Why does this thread of so many mote votes and posts than the Mavs-Hornets series. :(

everyone go vote

jimbobjarree
02-24-2010, 06:58 PM
I kinda regret voting for the Cavs now after re-reading their write up over and over :sigh:

RapToronto95
02-24-2010, 07:57 PM
i dont know if its been said, but that was 500% BIASED write up.

but anyways it would be very close. with the cavs edging it out.

1) Cavs have better D, quicker players.
2) Raps have players than causes mismatches.

in the end, goes to the team with better defenders + homecourt

VCaintdead17
02-24-2010, 08:27 PM
I picked the Raptors strictly because the cavs write up is one of the worst i've ever seen.

KH12
02-24-2010, 08:48 PM
Why did JerzeyFresh vote for his own team and not click on the GM option?

Westbrook36
02-24-2010, 08:52 PM

As did Phool..Which puts the Raptors in the lead..

Sportfan
02-24-2010, 08:53 PM
:facepalm:

ldc62
02-24-2010, 09:20 PM
David West is sooo overrated. Also he would be very bad on a team with Ellis. Not enough shots to go around. Raptors in 6.

jimbobjarree
02-24-2010, 09:21 PM
As did Phool..Which puts the Raptors in the lead..

lol so bosox did the stupidest write up ever and his two clown assistants voted for themselves....lol what a team!

BosoxPapi61
02-24-2010, 09:32 PM
C-A-V-S CAVS CAVS CAVS. You know you want to vote for us

A.Mopp
02-24-2010, 09:41 PM
lol at the cavs gms voting for themselves. now now thats cheating

BosoxPapi61
02-24-2010, 09:43 PM
lol at the cavs gms voting for themselves. now now thats cheating

:shrug:

dtmagnet
02-24-2010, 10:06 PM
I think that Raptors team is better, and the writeup for Cleveland seems very uneducated.

Kakaroach
02-24-2010, 10:17 PM
lol at the cavs gms voting for themselves. now now thats cheating Don't worry, the Cavs GMs votes won't count, thank goodness. And lol @ that write-up.

BlondeBomber41
02-24-2010, 10:29 PM
So right now its 42-39 Cleveland, minus the two votes from the Cleveland GM's.

Pittz
02-24-2010, 10:53 PM
Man, the GMs made it tough to decide who to vote for. I thought the teams were fairly even, so the write-ups held a lot of weight for me. I read Cleveland's write-up and... Ouch man. Try for a touch of objectivity lol, acting superior in every facet does NOT make your team look better.

After reading that, I was leaning towards the Raptors. But then I see Toronto didn't even DO a write-up...

I decided not doing one was better than writing that load of poorly written propaganda lol.

Ragun
02-24-2010, 11:04 PM
then maybe you should atleast type something up. i want to vote for you, but let's see that writeup man! ;)

i do have a CH.

ellis gives you points thats it. doesnt contribute in any other way.

i have a better center, west cant guard bargnani, ill admit artest is better defensively than turkolgu but turk was the #1 option on the magic last couple of years. iggy does everything better than ellis except scoring and andre miller scored 52 points on kidd remember?

Ragun
02-24-2010, 11:09 PM
btw, how long will this thread be up?

Ragun
02-24-2010, 11:14 PM
Phool voted for his own team.

ldc62
02-24-2010, 11:18 PM
The Cavs GM is being totally unbiased! :rolleyes:

PS: This stuff looks like fun, I might wanna join next year.

ldc62
02-24-2010, 11:25 PM
Haha! I remember that. Pavel Podkolzin.

I found the thread too:
http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7404271

LOL... the comments were just as good as the write up. I think the GM mentioned how Yao had 0 postmoves and how he should learn from guys with real post moves like AMARE.

astrosmaniac
02-24-2010, 11:39 PM
so the raps are winning? its 47-46 but the cavs GMs voted for themselves (2)

BlondeBomber41
02-25-2010, 01:50 AM
btw, how long will this thread be up?

24 hours.

Young2Kinsler
02-25-2010, 01:59 AM
Don't know how this is so close. Maybe people want to just hate on Cleveland... but Toronto has ZERO bench scoring. Cleveland... easy

MacFitz92
02-25-2010, 02:21 AM
I don't see how Cleveland isn't running away with it.

Ragun
02-25-2010, 02:31 AM
Don't know how this is so close. Maybe people want to just hate on Cleveland... but Toronto has ZERO bench scoring. Cleveland... easy

heard of jarret jack and sonny weems. both guys are scorers.