PDA

View Full Version : Mock Deadline Playoffs - #2 Denver Nuggets vs #7 Portland Trailblazers

BlondeBomber41
02-24-2010, 01:25 PM
This season we did a mock trade deadline in which users on this site took over as GM's of every team in the NBA. The goal was to improve your team the most before the real life trade deadline. The users then voted on playoff seedings of the other conference, and now its up to you to vote for who wins each matchup.

Please remember that this is just a game and there is no reason to vote for a team just because thats actually your favorite team in real life. Everybody worked really hard on their teams and it's only fair that you judge each team based on that teams talent, not that teams name.

At the bottom each team has sent in a write up explaining why they feel they would win the series. Please read each writeup before you make your decision, to be fair to the GM's who wrote it.

Denver has the homecourt advantage due to being the higher seed.

Denver Nuggets Lineup:

PG: Chauncey Billups / Antonio Daniels
SG: Raja Bell / Joey Graham
SF: Carmelo Anthony / Lamar Odom
PF: Antawn Jamison / Anderson Varejao
C: Shaquille O'Neal / Johan Petro

Portland Trailblazers Lineup:

C- Samuel Dalembert/Aaron Gray
PF- Amare Stoudemire/DJ White/Jeff Pendergraph
SF- Shawn Marion/Dominic McGuire
SG- Jason Richardson/Quentin Richardson/Willie Green
PG- Baron Davis/Earl Boykins/Patty Mills

Denver Nuggets Writeup:
Blazers are a good team. I thought they made some good moves, and wish them luck in these playoffs.

Shaq vs Dalembert: Just a few months ago, Philly fans were calling Dalembert one of the worst starting centers in the league. Fans were making fun of his low ball IQ, and his uninspiring basketball. It's true that he's playing better right now (although he has slowed down again the past few weeks), I still think he's no match for Shaq. When Shaq is motivated, he still shows he's a dominant center in the league. Before you start calling him old, and garbage, realize that Shaq has been averaging around 16 pts, 7 rebs, 2 asts, 1.5 blks on 65% shooting the past month with the Cavs struggling with injuries. The Real Superman still has game. Dalembert is a good defender, but he's not the type who can handle Shaq who's just too strong, and will bully him in the post. While Dalembert doesn't possess a threatening offense game to make Shaq work too hard on the defensive end.

Jamison vs Amare: Not going to lie here, Amare is the better player. But it's not by that much, and definitely not enough to win them this series (this is their only matchup with a clear advantage). Amare is an explosive scorer, but how good is he without Steve Nash? He's certainly not a true #1 who can lead his team deep into the playoffs. As good a scorer Amare is, he's only averaging 21 points. And that's with Nash passing him the ball, and in a run and gun offense. But Jamison himself scores 20 pts a game. It's true that Jamison won't be able to stop Amare, but he's a decent defender, who can also put pressure on Amare with his scoring. Amare's lack of defense makes this matchup close, with only a slight advantage for the Blazers. Keep in mind, Amare is their best player while Jamison is our 3rd option. When our 3rd best player isn't that much worse than their 1st, we're confident about our chances.

Carmelo vs Marion: Marion is a very good player, 3-4 years ago. This year he's been disappointing and playing without Steve Nash really shows it. And while he's still effective in some games, and plays decent defense, he's matched up against Carmelo Anthony who's playing his best ball in his career. As good a defender Marion is, Carmelo won't have too much problem scoring on him. He's just too strong, quick and big for Marion. He can shoot over, or post him up. This is really not that fair. Melo is arguably a top 5 player this year putting up crazy numbers on a top 4 team, while Marion has been struggling ever since he left Phoenix.

Bell vs Richardson: Let me start off by saying Bell is eligible. He's projected to come back in March, and will play in the playoffs (if the Warriors actually make it). Bell is a great perimeter defender, and an even better role player. The guy just wants to win. You'll never hear him complain about minutes or shots, coming off the bench or starting. That makes him one of the best complements to our already high scoring Billups, Melo, Jamison, Shaq starting lineup. Bell is also a very good shooter (better than JRich), and he'll get tons of shots created by Billups, or double-triple teams from Carmelo and Shaq. Richardson is a good player, but also having a down year. Is he still the same explosive player he was? If he can't get going playing with Nash and the Suns' uptempo offense, can Baron Davis make him better? Right now, I'd still give JRich the advantage on this matchup, but again, the advantage is minimal.

Billups vs Davis: We love this matchup. Both are great talents in the NBA. But the similarity stops there. Billups is a winner, a champion, a leader, a team player. Everywhere he goes, his team becomes contenders. Davis on the other hand have put up decent stats on every team he's landed but his team has gone nowhere deep in the playoffs. While both players are all-star calibre players, Billups is a player who will make every one of his teammates better. Rookies (Lawson), stars (carmelo), old veterans (Kmart), headcases (JR Smith), you name them, and they get better playing with Billups. He's a coach on the floor, and these are things that no stat will show. Baron Davis? You can argue that while being a great player on a bad team, he has never really made any of his teammates better players. Contrary, there are a lot of games where he actually made his teammates worst by taking by bad shots, bad decisions, etc.

Bench: Our bench is deep and versatile. Odom can play SF/PF and point forward, Varejao can play C/PF, Antonie Daniels can play PG/SG. IF Amare's having a good game against Jamison, in goes Varejao's defense. When we want to go small? We can have Jamison/Odom in the front court because they're both exceptional rebounders. The Blazers? Their best bench player is Boykins or QRich, take your pick, they're both non-factors. We can create so many mismatches, while we have answers for their players.

Others: We believe we have all the X-Factors as well. Experience, leadership, killer instinct, homecourt, chemistry, winner's mentality. Our players are team players, and are winners, we have excellent playoff experiences (finals experiences). We have a former Finals MVP. We have a superstar in Melo, him and Billups are two of the best clutch performers in the league. We have Shaq who has won 4 rings. We have hungry veterans willing to play a smaller role on a winning team to win a championship (Jamison, Shaq and Bell). While I'm not going to say we'll sweep this series and it'd be an easy win for us, I believe this Denver Nuggets team has all the tools to go deep into the playoffs, and the Blazers will not be able to stop us.

Thanks for voting, good luck to the Blazers.

Portland Trailblazers Writeup:
We will be running a fast pace offense here, much like the Phoenix Suns of a few years ago. With J-Rich, Marion, Amare all together here in Portland, we actually have a Center here now with them in Samuel Dalembert. Baron will be our Steve Nash, and he ahs shined in running a fast pace offense in the past. Amare is also much more experienced now, and all of these players have been running in an uptempo offense for years, so things should work out well here, as every player knows his role on the team.

CENTER: Shaquille O'Neal vs. Samuel Dalembert
We got Sammy for his very reason. He is an excellent defender, so he will be on Shaq all day in this matchup. Offensively, Amare will do the boatload of scoring download, which will loosen things up for Dalembert.

POWER FORWARD: Antawn Jamison vs. Amare
We really like this matchup. Amare should be able to hold his own defensively against Jamison. On the offensive end, Amare should be able to average 20 a game on Jamison in this series. Our offense will run through Amare, so we like what we have here.

SMALL FORWARD: Carmelo Anthony vs. Shawn Marion
Obviously Melo is the better player here, but don't count out the impact Marion could have defensively on Melo in this series. He should get a good chunk of points here as well, but he is our defense key in this series for sure.

SHOOTING GUARD: Raja Bell vs. Jason Richardson
J-Rich>>>Bell. Jason Richardson will be running the floor all day and have plenty of scoring opportunites. He will likely be the 2nd highest scorer in thi series for us. Defensively, he doesn't have a real tough task with Raja, so he should be fine on that end.

POINT GUARD: Chauncey Billups vs. Baron Davis
Pretty even matchup at PG here. Billups is slightly better overall, but Baron really fits in this run-n-gun system here in Portland. He did it in GS, and he has much more talent here than he has in the past. Baron will be key for us in the series by distributing the ball on the fastbreak, as well as scoring his chunk of points as well.

TheKing23
02-24-2010, 01:36 PM
Nuggets got this... Not only do they have a superior starting 5, they got a great bench as well.

bigsams50
02-24-2010, 01:38 PM
Nuggets are stacked

rapjuicer06
02-24-2010, 01:39 PM
melo and chauncy would torch the blazers. that'd be a sweep

JNA17
02-24-2010, 01:55 PM
nuggets in a sweep

clehmun
02-24-2010, 02:06 PM
wow. my write-up did not look that long when i typed it, sorry guys. thanks for voting.

BlondeBomber41
02-24-2010, 02:13 PM
Alright, its already at 8-0. If this thing gets too bad (as in a 20+ vote lead) I am gonna shut it down and start a new one like I did in the Orlando/Detroit series.

black1605
02-24-2010, 02:32 PM
portlands bench is awful

pebloemer
02-24-2010, 02:35 PM
Closer matchup than the voting shows IMO.

I actually don't like the Nuggets moves all that much. I think they have a better pre-deadline team to be honest. The defense of Martin, Nene and Anderson is a better fit alongside Chauncey and Melo. That said they still win this matchup. It is my belief that Portland would cause them fits in the running game, but Denver has the experience and versatility to counter it. I'd say Denver in 6 or 7.

MilwaukeeBAller
02-24-2010, 02:39 PM
Cant believe I dont have a vote yet lol. Good job Clehmun, you built a pretty darn good team.

jimbobjarree
02-24-2010, 02:42 PM
Closer matchup than the voting shows IMO.

I actually don't like the Nuggets moves all that much. I think they have a better pre-deadline team to be honest. The defense of Martin, Nene and Anderson is a better fit alongside Chauncey and Melo. That said they still win this matchup. It is my belief that Portland would cause them fits in the running game, but Denver has the experience and versatility to counter it. I'd say Denver in 6 or 7.

I agree with you, but that shouldnt matter against first round fodder

clehmun
02-24-2010, 03:02 PM
I agree with you, but that shouldnt matter against first round fodder

get outta here rival :D

clehmun
02-24-2010, 03:05 PM
Cant believe I dont have a vote yet lol. Good job Clehmun, you built a pretty darn good team.

thanks, even though voting says 17-0 right now, i'm pretty sure most of them didn't think this series would be a sweep either.

jimbobjarree
02-24-2010, 03:07 PM
get outta here rival :D

haha yeah sorry to butt in, but you already had one of the best offenses in the league and you swapped your best defenders for more offense. It makes it very formidable at one end, but could be testing at the other.

A.Mopp
02-24-2010, 03:14 PM
i like what the nuggets did in the mock.

HoopsDrive
02-24-2010, 03:14 PM
I'll go with Denver here but I don't think it would be a sweep, more like a 5-6 game series. Overall though, I'll take the Nuggets in this one.

clehmun
02-24-2010, 03:20 PM
haha yeah sorry to butt in, but you already had one of the best offenses in the league and you swapped your best defenders for more offense. It makes it very formidable at one end, but could be testing at the other.

haha it's all good.
but let's not forget, varejao IMO has better post defense than the birdman, where he's more of a weakside shot blocker. Shaq can still play defense, his D is underrated due to his horrible pick and roll defense (we have varejao and odom for that now). but when it comes to defending the paint, shaq is no slouch.
raja bell is a great perimeter defender, and odom can guard many positions.
jamison is not a DPOY by any means, but he's not a liability at all.

i gave up a bit of defense in nene and kmart, but added more defenders in bell, varejao, odom, etc and more dimensions to our team not only on the offensive end, but on things not shown on stats.

BlondeBomber41
02-24-2010, 04:30 PM
Ok, this thing is over. 21-0 isnt gonna be overcome. Nuggets move on.

JNA17
02-24-2010, 04:32 PM
killing spree

Corey
02-24-2010, 04:38 PM
Per request of BB41