PDA

View Full Version : if you were joe dumars in 2003...

MR.TRIPDUB
02-24-2010, 11:43 AM
knowing what you know now (winning a championship and/but darko not living to his alleged potential) would you have gone the same course or would you pick anthony or dwade or bosh which could possibly compromise your solid core group because they require major minutes.

so basically. are you gonna take that 1 championship and eventually suck like they are now or take a great player and be a good enough team for years to come (but not automatically winning one championship)

your thoughts?

TheKing23
02-24-2010, 12:03 PM
You take Melo, Wade or Bosh.

Look at them now... All top 10 players in the NBA. I'm sure in their rookie season they would've taken a back seat to the vets on the team and they still win a championship. Removing Darko Milicic and adding Carmelo Anthony in no way is going to affect your ability to win a championship.

They would've been an even more prominent team for years to come... Dumars wouldn't have felt it necessary to trade Billups and they'd probably be the best team in the league at the moment...

Dumars failed and there is no way you can make any argument for taking Milicic over Melo/Wade/Bosh...

king4day
02-24-2010, 12:11 PM
Knowing what we know now...of course you take anyone but Darko. In fact, Darko might not even be drafted if we knew then what we know now.
Bosh would have been a Piston cuz that was there need at the tiem.

Jaji
02-24-2010, 12:15 PM
EVERYONE (including Dumars) knows he made a mistake. They most likely still would have won the 'ship with whoever they drafted and still been in contention now.

Fresno
02-24-2010, 12:20 PM
EVERYONE (including Dumars) knows he made a mistake. They most likely still would have won the 'ship with whoever they drafted and still been in contention now.

What?

Dumars dumped Darko awhile back and got Rodney Stuckey out of it.

Any pick they made wouldn't have changed what they have done in breaking the team up before the team got too old to compete, all of their former starters are in their 30's on the decline of their careers.

If I were Joe Dumars back then I would've traded the #2 pick to Seattle and moved down for the #12 and #14 picks and took David West and Boris Diaw.

Fresno
02-24-2010, 12:23 PM
You take Melo, Wade or Bosh.

Look at them now... All top 10 players in the NBA. I'm sure in their rookie season they would've taken a back seat to the vets on the team and they still win a championship. Removing Darko Milicic and adding Carmelo Anthony in no way is going to affect your ability to win a championship.

They would've been an even more prominent team for years to come... Dumars wouldn't have felt it necessary to trade Billups and they'd probably be the best team in the league at the moment...

Dumars failed and there is no way you can make any argument for taking Milicic over Melo/Wade/Bosh...

Carmelo was still young & dumb during this time getting in trouble off the court and being immature on the court, Larry Brown did not like Melo and we saw that in the Olympics a year later.

Carmelo would not have become what hes become in Denver, if he were dealing with the distractions of Detroit back then.

Jaji
02-24-2010, 12:31 PM
What?

Any pick they made wouldn't have changed what they have done in breaking the team up before the team got too old to compete, all of their former starters are in their 30's on the decline of their careers.

If I were Joe Dumars back then I would've traded the #2 pick to Seattle and moved down for the #12 and #14 picks and took David West and Boris Diaw.

So you'd rater have Rodney Stuckey than D Wade? Okay guy.

Double_R
02-24-2010, 12:36 PM
Carmelo was still young & dumb during this time getting in trouble off the court and being immature on the court, Larry Brown did not like Melo and we saw that in the Olympics a year later.

Carmelo would not have become what hes become in Denver, if he were dealing with the distractions of Detroit back then.

The bottom line at that time is that Carmello was the clear number 2 pick in the draft, everybody was stunned when he wasnt drafted number 2. If you take Darko out of the draft, then it would have went Lebron, Melo, Bosh, Wade.

That being said I would take Wade over Bosh and Melo

Double_R
02-24-2010, 12:37 PM

That made me laugh

Fresno
02-24-2010, 12:38 PM

No the point you are missing with your post was that no matter what the core of the team was still going to age the way they have, Ben Wallace still would've left, Larry Brown still would've left, etc.

None of those eventual moves were affected by Darko going #2.

I'd rather have 2 good role players that would've turned my team into a Great NBA Team than draft a guy who may not have been as effective without the touches he gets. This thread is stupid simply because you cant project all players to be successful as they are now if you could do things over again, would Kobe be what he is today if he went to the Grizzlies? There is no definitive answer.

Fresno
02-24-2010, 12:40 PM
The bottom line at that time is that Carmello was the clear number 2 pick in the draft, everybody was stunned when he wasnt drafted number 2. If you take Darko out of the draft, then it would have went Lebron, Melo, Bosh, Wade.

That being said I would take Wade over Bosh and Melo

Nobody was stunned that the Pistons took Darko, everybody knew they were going to take Darko for the 3 weeks heading into the NBA Draft. Did you not have a computer during this time?

Gibby23
02-24-2010, 12:40 PM
What?

Wrong. They would be a better version of the Denver team we see right now if they would have drafted Melo. Billups is doing just fine with Melo. The Pistons could have a line up of:

Billups
Rip
Melo
Sheed
and maybe Big Ben or Kwame or anothe MLE type of C.

6th man Prince

That would have and still would be one of the best if not best team in the east the last 5 years or so.

GunFactor187
02-24-2010, 12:43 PM
I would actually have taken Bosh instead of Melo.

MR.TRIPDUB
02-24-2010, 12:44 PM

i agree with this, i dont think melo would have been content on being on the background, he was already annointed a star and being built up to be king james' rival for years. his ego will be a distraction to that team.

if they had picked bosh and started him, you think they would have traded for sheed who i think really put them over the hump that year.

i guess they should have picked wade. i think he would be more comfortable on being a bench player coz imo dwade is more controllable, coachable and less of an egotist. i think dwade, a 6'4 sg, is the biggest surprise of that draft, i dont think anyone thought he would be that good that fast.

Ezekial
02-24-2010, 12:45 PM
No the point you are missing with your post was that no matter what the core of the team was still going to age the way they have, Ben Wallace still would've left, Larry Brown still would've left, etc.

I'd rather have 2 good role players that would've turned my team into a Great NBA Team than draft a guy who may not have been as effective without the touches he gets. This thread is stupid simply because you cant project all players to be successful as they are now if you could do things over again, would Kobe be what he is today if he went to the Grizzlies? There is no definitive answer.

Oh so Darko was the right move, it very clear to me now, amazing insight. Personally a worse move than that was the Bulls taking Derrick Rose first in the draft, they shoulda drafted Ricky Rubio. :shrug:

Whats stupid is your reasoning.

Fresno
02-24-2010, 12:46 PM
Wrong. They would be a better version of the Denver team we see right now if they would have drafted Melo. Billups is doing just fine with Melo. The Pistons could have a line up of:

Billups
Rip
Melo
Sheed
and maybe Big Ben or Kwame or anothe MLE type of C.

6th man Prince

That would have and still would be one of the best if not best team in the east the last 5 years or so.

Being coached by John Kuester?

Oh wait, Larry Brown would've stuck around for even longer and still be coaching them now, they would've took David Lee over Jason Maxiell, a big time Free Agent would sign there for the MLE, etc.

This thread is stupid, you're just typing up fantasy Gibby. None of that happened and none of it will happen.

AIsixersFK
02-24-2010, 12:47 PM
This is a dumb question.....would I rather have a guy who did nothing for my franchise except try to die his hair like a backstreet boy or have a chance at 3 of the top 15 players now? Rocket science folks

Double_R
02-24-2010, 12:48 PM
Nobody was stunned that the Pistons took Darko, everybody knew they were going to take Darko for the 3 weeks heading into the NBA Draft. Did you not have a computer during this time?

That is not what I meant, what I meant was when it came out that they were taking Darko, everybody was stunned... After Carmello just won the NCAA Championship he was the clear cut number 2 and that is what people thought, Some people on ESPN were even talking about if he was better than Lebron.... So yea everybody was stunned when Detroit came out with the Darko thing, maybe it wasn't actually during the draft, but it did happen.

Gibby23
02-24-2010, 12:48 PM
Being coached by John Kuester?

Oh wait, Larry Brown would've stuck around for even longer and still be coaching them now, they would've took David Lee over Jason Maxiell, a big time Free Agent would sign there for the MLE, etc.

This thread is stupid, you're just typing up fantasy Gibby. None of that happened and none of it will happen.

Flip Saunders.

Fresno
02-24-2010, 12:50 PM
i agree with this, i dont think melo would have been content on being on the background, he was already annointed a star and being built up to be king james' rival for years. his ego will be a distraction to that team.
Melo would've bombed out of the league being in Detroit when he was bringing along his entourage, the fact that Denver is such a good city is what saved the early part of his career. I dont remember any reports of him getting arrested in Denver, probably because there isnt anything to do.

if they had picked bosh and started him, you think they would have traded for sheed who i think really put them over the hump that year.

Could Bosh have become what hes become being coached by Larry Brown? He was nothing more than a talented extremely skinny 6'10 guy with upside.

We'll never know.

i guess they should have picked wade. i think he would be more comfortable on being a bench player coz imo dwade is more controllable, coachable and less of an egotist. i think dwade, a 6'4 sg, is the biggest surprise of that draft, i dont think anyone thought he would be that good that fast.

I agree with this. Nobody expected Wade to become what hes become, I dont think people even after his rookie year expected him to become what hes become now.

Fresno
02-24-2010, 12:51 PM
Flip Saunders.

If we're still talking fantasy, I guess Phil Jackson would've took the Pistons job to coach a Championship Contender. :rolleyes:

levignjw
02-24-2010, 12:52 PM
:violin:

Double_R
02-24-2010, 12:58 PM
Melo would've bombed out of the league being in Detroit when he was bringing along his entourage, the fact that Denver is such a good city is what saved the early part of his career. I dont remember any reports of him getting arrested in Denver, probably because there isnt anything to do.

That is a ridiculous statement... and ignorant.... no there is no trouble in Denver, no Broncos have ever gotten shot there...

I am over this we are arguing hypothetical and non existent things

Fresno
02-24-2010, 12:59 PM
That is not what I meant, what I meant was when it came out that they were taking Darko, everybody was stunned... After Carmello just won the NCAA Championship he was the clear cut number 2 and that is what people thought, Some people on ESPN were even talking about if he was better than Lebron.... So yea everybody was stunned when Detroit came out with the Darko thing, maybe it wasn't actually during the draft, but it did happen.

Ok.

Carmelo was the clear cut #2 player in the Draft, however lets not forget the hype Darko received pre-NBA Draft.

Utah coach Rick Majerus, who watched Milicic play during a basketball clinic last summer in Serbia and Montenegro, said he is a fan of Milicic and his game.

"He reminds me a lot of (Sacramento star) Chris Webber, but he's more skilled than Chris was at the same age (at Michigan)," Majerus said.

"I love Darko's work ethic. We watched him play for five straight hours and then he played for more than another hour because he just loves the game. He's done a great job with his body by going from 220 pounds to 245 pounds in only one year."

Some have compared Milicic to Dallas' Dirk Nowitzki, but Donn Nelson, the Mavericks' president of basketball operations doesn't think it's a good comparison.

"We saw Dirk as a multi-position player, but I think Darko is a pure (power forward)," Nelson said. "Darko doesn't shoot it from as far as Dirk does, but Darko is more dominant in the paint. Dirk is more of finesse player while Darko is more of a power guy.

"Obviously, we think the world of Dirk. But I would be very surprised if Darko was not a success in this league."

Had to dig to find that.

Fresno
02-24-2010, 01:00 PM
That is a ridiculous statement... and ignorant.... no there is no trouble in Denver, no Broncos have ever gotten shot there...

I am over this we are arguing hypothetical and non existent things

:laugh::laugh:

Are you actually trying to say Denver is a bad city compared Nationally?

Double_R
02-24-2010, 01:05 PM
No I am saying that if a person wanted to get into trouble, like Melo did in Denver, maybe he wasn't actually in Denver when he was chilling in some thug life videos, but I don't think that he would have gotten in anymore trouble if he went to Detroit, where the night life is garbage... no offense 8 mile

If you wanted to tell me that if Melo went to NY or MIA or LA, etc. he would have got in more trouble because of the temptation of the city, I would go with that, but just because Detroit has more crime, doesn't mean Melo is going to go to the hood and start chillin on corners smoking blunts

Ezekial
02-24-2010, 01:06 PM
Worse than San Fran, better than Detroit... Can we have this useless thread closed?

I'd smoke a blunt with Melo posted up on any corner, hell if he wanted to do in Baghdad I'd do it.

Fresno
02-24-2010, 01:11 PM
No I am saying that if a person wanted to get into trouble, like Melo did in Denver, maybe he wasn't actually in Denver when he was chilling in some thug life videos, but I don't think that he would have gotten in anymore trouble if he went to Detroit, where the night life is garbage... no offense 8 mile

If you wanted to tell me that if Melo went to NY or MIA or LA, etc. he would have got in more trouble because of the temptation of the city, I would go with that, but just because Detroit has more crime, doesn't mean Melo is going to go to the hood and start chillin on corners smoking blunts

You do realize he did just that basically a year later when he came back to Baltimore, he went to the hood and hung out with stranger drug dealers, and the footage turned into Stop Snitching.

What trouble can you get into in NY or LA when they have a nightlife for the stars and then theres a nightclub for the average people? You're clubbing with B-list celebs and future Reality TV stars everynight in those places. The only real temptation is women and drugs if you're not used to the lifestyle, just look at Michael Ray Richardson.

Double_R
02-24-2010, 01:12 PM
A 25 dollar gram better be white for that much...

PS who buys g's of regs or who's even smokes regs

Jaji
02-24-2010, 01:12 PM

All those guys could have retired. Who cares? They'd still have one of the best players in the NBA right now. Wade is only 28. Melo is 25. If you can play, you can play. Are you saying that Wade or Melo would be bad players if they had gone to Detroit? That doesn't make any sense at all.

The Jokemaker
02-24-2010, 01:13 PM
As long as we're playing fantasy what if hte Pistons never recieved that #2 pick gift in the first place? Imagine if the Grizz had still had that pick instead of trading it away in like 1997. What would have happened then? It would get Joe Dumars off the hook for screwing up the pick but at the time a lot of people thought Darko would be great.

Jaji
02-24-2010, 01:17 PM
You do realize he did just that basically a year later when he came back to Baltimore, he went to the hood and hung out with stranger drug dealers, and the footage turned into Stop Snitching.

What trouble can you get into in NY or LA when they have a nightlife for the stars and then theres a nightclub for the average people? You're clubbing with B-list celebs and future Reality TV stars everynight in those places. The only real temptation is women and drugs if you're not used to the lifestyle, just look at Michael Ray Richardson.

Dude your whole argument is based on some brownish-green stuff that you pulled out of your dog's :moon:.

"If Michael Jordan didn't wear those 2 hoop earrings he wouldn't have been the same player because those hoops reminded him of a basketball court so he would think about basketball 24/7. Without those hoops in his ears, he probably wouldn't have lasted 3 years in the league." - this argument holds the same weight as yours.

Jaji
02-24-2010, 01:22 PM
A 25 dollar gram better be white for that much...

PS who buys g's of regs or who's even smokes regs

LOL! Regs for $10 a gram? I'd call the cops on whoever tried to sell that because that's just not right :pity:.

Fresno
02-24-2010, 01:23 PM
Dude your whole argument is based on some brownish-green stuff that you pulled out of your dog's :moon:.

"If Michael Jordan didn't wear those 2 hoop earrings he wouldn't have been the same player because those hoops reminded him of a basketball court so he would think about basketball 24/7. Without those hoops in his ears, he probably wouldn't have lasted 3 years in the league." - this argument holds the same weight as yours.

Are you serious? How is anything in that post you quoted anywhere near as irrelevant at what you just posted.

Your post fits better with the first post of this entire thread.

Jaji
02-24-2010, 01:27 PM
Are you serious? How is anything in that post you quoted anywhere near as irrelevant at what you just posted.

Your post fits better with the first post of this entire thread.

Come on man you're talking about Melo becoming a crack head in Detroit and Bosh not being able to develop under one of the best coaches of all time. That's ridiculous. I guess if Stephen Curry was drafted by the Knicks he would have forgotten how to shoot too :rolleyes:.

phoenix_bladen
02-24-2010, 01:55 PM
the point is nobody knew darko would have been a bust everyone was very high on him on draft night they thought he was going to be the best european player ever...

if they had taken anthony he would have ruined team chemistry if you remember his early years he was immature and he had bad attitude .... remember the DVD he had about drugs? the brawl in NY?

this same attitude was exactly why he was snubbed for awhile from his rookie of the year award and a few all star appearance earlier in his career.

he would have clashed with larry brown.... can you imagine him getting benched throughout his rookie year and at the same time his peers lebron james was getting heavy mins and everyone saying he was rookie of the year while carmelo was averaging like 5 mins off the bench in detriot?

that would have never worked out and he would have either demanded a trade or ruin the team chemistry by feuding with the coach.

MAYBE he could have been humble and not complained on the bench but that is highly unlikely

2 scenarios i would have seen if they drafted carmelo.

1) he would have ruined team chemistry to the point where they would not have won the championship in 2004 however if they kept him they probably would have been in better shape down the road however the team make up would obviously need to change such as instead of what made detriot a great team by everyone sharing the ball and working as a true team with no superstar they would probably have to revolve the offense around anthony and trade the core that did not fit with anthony..... in this way the whole pistons team you guys saw that went to the eastern conference finals 6 times would probably be a lot different.

2) or he would be benched and larry brown would hate him so much he would ended up being traded just like darko did in his 3rd season for maybe yong player and draft pick and anthony would either explode into a better player or his confidence could have been shaken that he turned into another gerald green ( he'd probably turn into a great player though)

and everyone would STILL hate on dumars for trading him......

either way for the pistons to have drafted anthony they would have had to tear down the team and fire larry brown to make it work and maybe not be contendors for a few years because of it...

anyone else agreed?

and don't say draft wade or bosh because at that time it was only darko or anthony drafting wade or bosh was not an option cause nobody thought they would be that good

JasonJohnHorn
02-24-2010, 02:06 PM
If I was Dumars I'd pick up Bosh, not because I think he is better than Wade or Melo, but because he wasn't far enough along in his game to demand big minutes over Wallace, Wallace and Okur. They all would have gotten their minutes and Bosh would have gotten the reserves at power forward and also given them a young player in the front court to gain minutes in his sophomore season and beyond while the aging super stars, and fleeing free agents left, keeping a talented player in the front court to age with Prince Hamilton and Billups (who would still today make a legit contender with Bosh on their team and the Piston's would have likely be able to keep guys like Wallace and McDeyss as role players if they were still contenders).

Melo was good enough to demand minutes, but perhpas not good enough to be a force in the playoffs and Prince's D on Bryant was key in the finals, while Hamilton's jump shot was key to their offence, I doubt Melo would have been able to provide either in his rookie year and having him ride the bench would have stunted his development as a player I think.

Something similar could be said of Wade. Wade was good enough to play like a champ in his first post-season (his averages went up in the playoffs, but not up high enough to beat the Pacers) and had Dumars and Brown been inclined to give him more minutes in the playoffs, Billups (the eventual finals MVP) and Hamilton (the leadings scorer with a solid FG%) may have seen their minutes eaten up by a rookie whose shooting was (at the time) a little less dependable and whose play making lead to more turnovers.

And Brown hates playing rookies (or at least seems to if you follow his career).

Melo and Wade both would have been hurt by limited minutes in terms of their growth, but both could have grow quicker under the guidance of Brown. Hard to say. Bosh though would have been a solid back up for Sheed, wouldn't have commanded too many minutes, would have works the boards, put up great per36 minute stats and been consistent fromthe floor since he would have been getting shot near the rim when the defence borke down. I think his growth as a player wouldn't have been stunted as a rookie and because guys liek Big Ben, Billups, Prince and Hamilton wouldn't have seen their impact on the game dwindled do to his presence, I think the addition of Bosh would have allowed them to win it that year, and continue to contend in year after as their front court age.

Melo and Wade would have pushed out somebody from Prince, to Hamilton to Billups, and the front court would still be aging and trading any Prince, Hamilton or Billups for a young big would have been next to impossible and in turn would leave Detroit in a situation not unlike the one they found themselves in at the end of free agency last season, though landing guys like Odom would have been easier with Wade on their rosters instead of Stuckey :(

Jaji
02-24-2010, 02:19 PM
I don't know what kind of circles you guys run in, but NO ONE I have ever talked to about basketball thought Darko over Melo was a smart choice. Granted, Darko was an unknown while Melo just lead his team to an NCAA title, but come on. We all thought it was a bad decision then, and we all think it was one of the worst decisions in NBA history now.

Jaji
02-24-2010, 02:25 PM
the point is nobody knew darko would have been a bust everyone was very high on him on draft night they thought he was going to be the best european player ever...

if they had taken anthony he would have ruined team chemistry if you remember his early years he was immature and he had bad attitude .... remember the DVD he had about drugs? the brawl in NY?

this same attitude was exactly why he was snubbed for awhile from his rookie of the year award and a few all star appearance earlier in his career.

he would have clashed with larry brown.... can you imagine him getting benched throughout his rookie year and at the same time his peers lebron james was getting heavy mins and everyone saying he was rookie of the year while carmelo was averaging like 5 mins off the bench in detriot?

that would have never worked out and he would have either demanded a trade or ruin the team chemistry by feuding with the coach.

MAYBE he could have been humble and not complained on the bench but that is highly unlikely

2 scenarios i would have seen if they drafted carmelo.

1) he would have ruined team chemistry to the point where they would not have won the championship in 2004 however if they kept him they probably would have been in better shape down the road however the team make up would obviously need to change such as instead of what made detriot a great team by everyone sharing the ball and working as a true team with no superstar they would probably have to revolve the offense around anthony and trade the core that did not fit with anthony..... in this way the whole pistons team you guys saw that went to the eastern conference finals 6 times would probably be a lot different.

2) or he would be benched and larry brown would hate him so much he would ended up being traded just like darko did in his 3rd season for maybe yong player and draft pick and anthony would either explode into a better player or his confidence could have been shaken that he turned into another gerald green ( he'd probably turn into a great player though)

and everyone would STILL hate on dumars for trading him......

either way for the pistons to have drafted anthony they would have had to tear down the team and fire larry brown to make it work and maybe not be contendors for a few years because of it...

anyone else agreed?

and don't say draft wade or bosh because at that time it was only darko or anthony drafting wade or bosh was not an option cause nobody thought they would be that good

If you can't find a way to make it work with one of the most talented players in the NBA, then you've got some serious problems. Can you imagine a guy like Jordan being benched because the coach didn't like him? Phil Jackson called Kobe 'uncoachable' in his book but when he came back to LA, guess where Kobe was... on the floor.

If Melo was in Detroit, he would have been starting at the 3 (and been their best scoring option BTW), and Prince would have been a very good 6th man. If Melo got out of line (like he did in Denver :rolleyes:), LB and the vets on the team would shut him up. This isn't rocket science here. "Hmmm. How can we incorporate one of the best players in the game into our team? Duh."

OaklandsFinest
02-24-2010, 02:34 PM
I would have taken D Wade and then traded RIP and Big Ben for Al Jefferson and contract fillers.

Billups
Wade
Prince
Jefferson
Wallace

BlondeBomber41
02-24-2010, 02:45 PM
Easy, I would of taken Dwyane Wade and either made Rip my 6th man or traded him.

OaklandsFinest
02-24-2010, 02:54 PM
or take Wade and then trade RIP and Big Ben to Orlando for Howard after the championship for D Howard and Grant Hills expiring contract. Then trading Wallace to Philly for Andre Igoudala plus a draft pick and the injured Mashburn. By that time Orlando had chalked Grant Hill's career to being over. Ben Wallace and RIP's stock were very high and D Howard was still kind of a shot in the dark but looked very good. Sheed is from Philly and they still had hopes of AI taking them to a ring. You could have kept Billups and let him help handle the rock with Wade.

Billups
Wade
Prince/ Igoudala
McDyess
Howard

Melo15
02-24-2010, 02:54 PM
Wow this is a bunch of talk about nothing lol. The fact is they took Darko and they are currently dealing with the consequences. Of course if they could go back in time they would have picked someone else but what does it matter now?

Jaji
02-24-2010, 02:59 PM
The only reason I say Melo is because he was the 2nd highest rated player coming out that year. I don't think anyone had Dwyane Wade rated higher than Carmelo Anthony.

Spencesc11
02-24-2010, 03:05 PM
There was only one pick to make and it was Carmelo Anthony!!!!!!!!!!
Dwayne Wade and Chris Bosh have been great but no one knew what they were getting with those 2.

Anthony was coming off a final 4 mvp after leading Syracuse past a great Kansas team with many pros on it (Collison, Gooden, Hinrich, etc...)

A scoring trio of Billups, Hamilton, and Anthony would still be going strong.

We still could've gotten Rasheed Wallace directly from Portland by sending maybe Tayshaun Prince????

And you try to tell me how that big 3 plus the Wallace boys don't win at least one if not 2 championships by now.

Jaji
02-24-2010, 03:26 PM
There was only one pick to make and it was Carmelo Anthony!!!!!!!!!!
Dwayne Wade and Chris Bosh have been great but no one knew what they were getting with those 2.

Anthony was coming off a final 4 mvp after leading Syracuse past a great Kansas team with many pros on it (Collison, Gooden, Hinrich, etc...)

A scoring trio of Billups, Hamilton, and Anthony would still be going strong.

We still could've gotten Rasheed Wallace directly from Portland by sending maybe Tayshaun Prince????

And you try to tell me how that big 3 plus the Wallace boys don't win at least one if not 2 championships by now.

Well, according to Fresno, Melo would have fallen into the wrong crowd in Detroit and started shooting heroin and sleeping with AIDS infested prostitutes. But if he could somehow avoid that, then yes, you're absolutely correct.

Gibby23
02-24-2010, 03:29 PM
Well, according to Fresno, Melo would have fallen into the wrong crowd in Detroit and started shooting heroin and sleeping with AIDS infested prostitutes. But if he could somehow avoid that, then yes, you're absolutely correct.

Chris Bosh would have been the next Kwame Brown and Wade wouldn't get any PT.

SteveNash
02-24-2010, 05:20 PM
Go with the sure thing and take Darko. No, Darko probably no championship.

J_M_B
02-24-2010, 05:33 PM
At the time, there was only a top three (LeBron, Darko, and Carmelo). Bosh and Wade weren't in the conversation.

They won a championship that year and that's all that matters. You wouldn't want to mess with history, if you had that power. For all we know, if they drafted Carmelo, they would've lost the NBA Finals and mess up the entire foundation.

You never know...

twoearl
02-24-2010, 07:02 PM
here we go again another 2003 draft thread? Some people just cant let go. Joe D missed out, get over it! lol

That year the pistons were all set with thier squad except for big men. Darko was billed as a foriegn version of KG. In the Nba Draft Size always trumps talent. look at Sam bowie draft over jordon, Greg Oden drafted over KD, thabeet drafted over Evans and it will KEEP happening for ever.