PDA

View Full Version : Playoff Format: Could it be better?

Bishnoff
02-23-2010, 09:07 PM
For a long time Iíve wondered why the NBA persist with the current format for the Playoffs where the only time a Western Conference team can play an Eastern Conference team is in the Finals. This format is especially annoying when one conference is much stronger than the other or when the teams with the top 2-3 overall records are in the same conference. Has anyone else ever thought about this or come up with a feasible solution?

Daze9900
02-23-2010, 09:37 PM
Get back to that best of 5 in the first round.

JasonJohnHorn
02-23-2010, 09:45 PM
I like the best of seven series, I would rather see the finals as a 2-2-1-1-1 than the 2-3-2. The other thing is giving the division leaders a top four seeding even if they don't have a record that would put them there. I'd much rather see the top 8 seed go based on record and I much prefer that hard frame work to the NHL where the team with the best record gets to play the team with the worst record after every round, it kinda makes things too easy for the top seed.

Over all I think the NBA does it pretty well.

Bishnoff
02-23-2010, 10:01 PM
I like the "Best of 7" format, but would like to see EC teams play WC teams at either the 2nd or 3rd round.

AirCanada15ORL
02-23-2010, 10:02 PM
It's like this in all sports. Football...Baseball...you wont meet the other conference until the championship.

kArSoN RyDaH
02-23-2010, 10:04 PM
they should do it like ncaa does it and just list all of the teams by record and top 16 make playoffs still. then divide them into two brackets and so on. but for the regular season you play within ur conference. tht wud be coool imo

kArSoN RyDaH
02-23-2010, 10:05 PM
wen i said play within ur conference i meant jss play regular season games regularlyy...

Bishnoff
02-23-2010, 10:11 PM
they should do it like ncaa does it and just list all of the teams by record and top 16 make playoffs still. then divide them into two brackets and so on. but for the regular season you play within ur conference. tht wud be coool imo

This is kind of what I was getting at. Outside of the USA/Canada, most sports don't even have conferences at the top level (at least not based on geographic location). I have no problem with it during the regular season, but it can spoil a Finals series if the top teams in the league have already met in a conference final or semi.

Chronz
02-23-2010, 10:16 PM
Do they still do the divisional leaders get a top 3 seeding? Or is it top 4 now? Either way they need to scrap that, I remember when the Rockets (and Tmac) got screwed out of making it to round 2 when they matched up with Dallas instead of either the Kings or Sonics. Both of those teams sucked in comparison and one of them got a free pass to round 2.

Oh and the 2-3-2 Finals format is lame.

VladTheImpaler
02-23-2010, 11:32 PM
I remember when they questioned the problem in 2006, after the top two teams in the West(based on record), Dallas and San Antonio, met in the Western semi-finals as opposed to the Western final. I like what they did to somewhat fix that the next year, allowing that 4th team to be seeded higher than division leaders if their record was better, but the next year they really got exposed when Golden State upset Dallas and the same thing happened again. While what they do now is fine, and makes for the best final assuming upsets don't happen, they still need to guard this. They really should take a page out of the NHL's book and re-seed after every round. That way, you won't see and unevenness between the two semi-final series', and the best two teams will face one another in the conference finals. Just my $0.02, though.

lakerboy
02-23-2010, 11:39 PM
Remove the rule where in division seedings get auto top 4 seed. I hate that.

Hellcrooner
02-23-2010, 11:41 PM
in europe you dont have cnference just one leauge

and top 16 make playoffs

1-16 2-15 etc.

But for this to work and be fair every team will need to face other teams the same amount of games like 3 matches again every other nba team

because if you got top 16 and one conference is stronger and the other is weaker and you play more gmes against your own cnference than the opposite then you mend nothing bad teams woud still be able to make it thanks to playing regular season against worse teams.

Raph12
02-24-2010, 12:17 AM
Remove the rule where in division seedings get auto top 4 seed. I hate that.

This

Hawkeye15
02-24-2010, 12:20 AM
1-8, who cares about divisions. First 2 series best of 5. Only one day off in between games when not traveling, 2 days off for travel. I am so sick of the first round lasting 2 weeks cause of t.v.

Hawkeye15
02-24-2010, 12:20 AM
also go back to 2-2-1-1-1

ManRam
02-24-2010, 01:25 AM
They just need to speed it up. The NBA playoffs seem to drag on longer than any other sport's playoffs. Maybe switch the first round back to 5 games. Don't give teams two days off in a row in a series. Maybe some back-to-backs...they're so common in the regular season, but never in the playoffs.

During the Finals last year, those two day stretches between games sucked. They really need to kill that.

But getting rid of conferences isn't and shouldn't happen.