PDA

View Full Version : Mock Deadline Playoffs - #1 Orlando Magic vs #8 Detroit Pistons

BlondeBomber41
02-23-2010, 03:38 PM
This season we did a mock trade deadline in which users on this site took over as GM's of every team in the NBA. The goal was to improve your team the most before the real life trade deadline. The users then voted on playoff seedings of the other conference, and now its up to you to vote for who wins each matchup.

Please remember that this is just a game and there is no reason to vote for a team just because thats actually your favorite team in real life. Everybody worked really hard on their teams and it's only fair that you judge each team based on that teams talent, not that teams name.

At the bottom each team has sent in a write up explaining why they feel they would win the series. Please read each writeup before you make your decision, to be fair to the GM's who wrote it.

Orlando has the homecourt advantage due to being the higher seed.

Orlando Magic Roster:

PG: Rajon Rondo - T.J Ford - Jason Williams - Anthony Johnson
SG: Michael Pietrus - Tony Allen
SF: Paul Pierce - Kyle Korver
PF: Dirk Nowitzki - Ryan Anderson - Etan Thomas
C: Marcus Camby - Etan Thomas - Adonal Foyle

Detroit Pistons Roster:

PG: Rodney Stuckey/Roger Mason Jr
SG: Ben Gordon/Courtney Lee/Marquis Daniels
SF: Grant Hill/Jonas Jerebko/Antoine Wright
PF: Paul Millsap/Kenyon Martin/Chris Wilcox
C: Brendan Haywood/Ben Wallace

Orlando Magic Writeup:

Point Guard: Rondo vs Rodney Stuckey

Both have bright futures, but it's easy to see that Rondo wins this matchup. Defensively he can bring a lot to the table and he is always willing to dish the ball off to someone on the wings or downlow. Rondo is known to be one of the best point guards in the league. The fact that he has been able to perform up to this way while Ray Allen has slowed down a little bit and Kevin Garnett doing the same proves that he isnt a product of the big three anymore.

Shooting Guard: Michael Pietrus vs Ben Gordon

Ben Gordon is known around the league to score a whole lot of points, but Pietrus is known to be a very good defender. Pietrus brings everything you need with a lineup like mine as he can play defense, score, drive, rebound, and make hustle plays. Gordon might be the more popular pick, but Pietrus should be able to defend him well.

Small Forward: Paul Pierce vs Grant Hill

At this point Grant Hill would be no match for Paul Pierce who is known to be a Top 5 SF in this league. Pierce can do everything on the court and even plays defense. Pierce is known to be a number one option type player who will make that big shot when you need it in the clutch. Pierce has also been having one of his best years shooting in some time which is something that you love to see as he ages.

Power Forward: Dirk vs Paul Millsap

Millsap is a player that many like after the way he has played these past couple of years, but Dirk is an elite type player. Dirk puts up MVP type numbers and can spread out a defense so well. It's clear that Dirk wins in this matchup and makes a dynamic duo with Pierce as number one option.

Center: Marcus Camby vs Brendan Haywood

Haywood is a good defensive center who can bring in some boards, but Camby is a monster on the boards. Both of them don't score a whole lot, but both play defense and grab rebounds. Camby averages 12 RPG and plays very good defense down in the post, which is exactly what you need next to Dirk downlow.

My Bench:

I also love what my bench can bring to the table. T.J Ford could be a starter on many teams in the league and has played well this season. Tony Allen is a guard/forward who can do many different things off the bench. Kyle Korver is a sharp shooter off the bench in case I need to spread the floor more. Ryan Anderson is another guy who can spread the floor with his shooting as he moves in and out of the post. Anderson was a minor part of the Carter trade in real life, but turned out to be a key bench part. Etan Thomas is a high energy man off the bench who is on roster to play some defense off the bench and grab rebounds. Jason Williams is another player who can shoot the three and run an offense with ease. Anthony Johnson won't see much time, but he brings some leadership to the team. Foyle will see some time as a backup bigman, but is also here to bring some expeiernce. Having extra expeiernce off the bench is always a good thing when you are in the playoffs.

Pistons did not send in a writeup.

jimbobjarree
02-23-2010, 03:52 PM
should be a pretty comfortable progression for the Magic, I'd say 5 games

BlondeBomber41
02-23-2010, 03:54 PM
should be a pretty comfortable progression for the Magic, I'd say 5 games

Only if it was a best of 9 series. No way the Pistons even win a game here. They are completely outmatched across the board.

Young2Kinsler
02-23-2010, 03:55 PM
Orlandos front 5 would make it seem like the obvious choice, but their bench is kinda lacking in areas. I guess in a series it's more about a 6-7 man rotation, so I might have to vote for Orlando.

Young2Kinsler
02-23-2010, 03:56 PM
Only if it was a best of 9 series. No way the Pistons even win a game here. They are completely outmatched across the board.

Orlando's bench not only lacks in areas, it borderline sucks.

jimbobjarree
02-23-2010, 03:56 PM

I dunno, if BG could have a big night at home and Milly/Haywood go to work down low along with KMart's defense I think they could scrape a tight one.

*Superman*
02-23-2010, 03:59 PM
Magic no doubt.

BlondeBomber41
02-23-2010, 04:03 PM
I dunno, if BG could have a big night at home and Milly/Haywood go to work down low along with KMart's defense I think they could scrape a tight one.

The Pistons have a scrappy team but their #1 option is Ben Gordon and their #2 is who? Rodney Stuckey? They just dont have the firepower to stay with a team like Orlando. Dirk Nowitzki, Paul Pierce, Rajon Rondo are all legit All Stars, with two of them being top players in the league. The only way I see the Pistons pulling out a game in this series is if the Magic take a game off, and don't put in the full effort.

unwantedplayer
02-23-2010, 04:06 PM
Yes, Rondo is a good guard and all. But he has a very difficult time guarding bigger guards, such as Stuckey, Billups, etc.

Anyways Magic in 4.

alencp3
02-23-2010, 04:37 PM
sweep

Sportfan
02-23-2010, 05:53 PM
The Bobcats couldve sneaked one against Orlando.

Magic sweep

zambo4president
02-23-2010, 06:01 PM
I forgot to do a write up. My team has way more depth then the Magic. They have more star power which is all that matters in voting apparently.

HoopsDrive
02-23-2010, 06:02 PM
Wtf? Magic in 4 even though their bench blows.

Wtf is up with those matchups... Dirk and Millsap? Pierce and Hill? A case can be made for Pietrus-Gordon but BG is so one dimensional and Pietrus won't be a real impact on offense (not like BG is known for his defense anyway) that it has very little effect on the outcome for the Pistons.

The Magic will get killed come sub time but c'mon, they have 2 elite players in Dirk-Pierce and a rising PG in Rondo.

I can't see the Magic lose a game in this series. Maybe a nail biter in here somewhere but 4-0 is the way to go.

JNA17
02-23-2010, 06:02 PM
magic

kEviN21
02-23-2010, 06:10 PM
Magic.

And it's not really close :(

A.Mopp
02-23-2010, 06:10 PM
magic sweep

BlondeBomber41
02-23-2010, 06:45 PM
Ok, Im gonna have this locked and start a new matchup. 32-0 skunk is enough, no reason to delay.

ldc62
02-23-2010, 06:46 PM
Pistons did not send in a writeup.

That about said it all. Magic are just too good here [tho they are an jump shooting team with no real slasher, Rondo doesn't count].

Magic in 4.

They have more star power which is all that matters in voting apparently.

Its a 8 man rotation in the playoffs. Sure, your team might be able to chip away a large lead when the other team needs to rest his starters for 5 or so minutes.

jimbobjarree
02-23-2010, 06:48 PM
raped

JNA17
02-23-2010, 06:49 PM
pistons got raped badly.

DenButsu
02-23-2010, 06:52 PM
Locked by request of OP.