PDA

View Full Version : Brendan Haywood= Erick Dampier 2.0?

Swashcuff
02-23-2010, 03:17 PM
Both these centres IMO are underperformers and both their careers have an eerily similar trend. They both produce beneath what was expected of them for years prior to their contract year in which both had/is having a Career year. In 03-04 Damp seemed to have taken up his rightful spot as one of the better rebounding and defensive centres in the game but by the very next year after signing a 7 year 73 million dollar :facepalm: he basically reverted back to the old Damp.

Well after 8 years (same amount as Damp before he went to Dallas) in the league (7 of which he basically underperformed) at 30 (1 year older) Brendan Haywood could be headed in the same direction. Well with a little more purpose after all he’ll be playing for a Dallas team who are considered championship contenders.

So do you guys agree with me, do I have a point or am I talking a lot of BS?

Gibby23
02-23-2010, 03:20 PM
Haywood is 2nd to Lebron with threads on the first page.

Gibby23
02-23-2010, 03:21 PM
To answer the question, both are underperformers but might push eachother to play better to see who gets more PT. They are both playing for a new contract next year.

Swashcuff
02-23-2010, 03:22 PM

Lol!

alencp3
02-23-2010, 03:24 PM

Rose is after them :D

TopsyTurvy
02-23-2010, 03:33 PM
Haywood will be one of the most influential bigs available on the market this off season. A big defensive presence down low willing to play off the bench = quality. The only thing that will limit his worth are injuries suffered through the remainder of this season.

CityofTreez
02-23-2010, 03:49 PM
If I thought Dampier was one of those ogres in Lord of the Rings? What does that make the Tar-Baby?

Ray_R
02-23-2010, 04:16 PM

damn right.!!!!!!!

Swashcuff
02-23-2010, 05:16 PM
Haywood will be one of the most influential bigs available on the market this off season. A big defensive presence down low willing to play off the bench = quality. The only thing that will limit his worth are injuries suffered through the remainder of this season.

I like his game but he is limited offensively and overall he's inconsistent. That is up until this season. I don't think any team will over pay for his services the way the Mavs did with Damp.

Chronz
02-23-2010, 05:18 PM
Good comparison and if true its a good thing Cuban is on the right side of the equation for once, now both of them are in contract years. But dont be so hard on Haywood, he was playing the exact same way 2 years ago then he got injured and missed the season. There was no incentive other than personal pride, Damp was a queen though. Hes done it every single contract year.

thedfactor
02-23-2010, 05:27 PM
I think Haywood does resemble Dampier in some ways, but overall he's a better talent. He's got more length, better hands, nice discipline defensively, can finish in traffic more often, not exactly the offensive liability that Damp is, I can go on. I think Haywood is just a better player and not just because of a contract year.

Dallas owns his bird rights and both parties have tons of interest in the long term, so expect Brendan to be a Maverick center for a while. Dallas will also be on the lookout for a better backup this off season once they trade Dampier.

Swashcuff
02-23-2010, 05:29 PM
Good comparison and if true its a good thing Cuban is on the right side of the equation for once, now both of them are in contract years. But dont be so hard on Haywood, he was playing the exact same way 2 years ago then he got injured and missed the season. There was no incentive other than personal pride, Damp was a queen though. Hes done it every single contract year.

Erica Dampier as Shaq calls him. lol

Swashcuff
02-23-2010, 05:33 PM
I think Haywood does resemble Dampier in some ways, but overall he's a better talent. He's got more length, better hands, nice discipline defensively, can finish in traffic more often, not exactly the offensive liability that Damp is, I can go on. I think Haywood is just a better player and not just because of a contract year.

Dallas owns his bird rights and both parties have tons of interest in the long term, so expect Brendan to be a Maverick center for a while. Dallas will also be on the lookout for a better backup this off season once they trade Dampier.

I hear your point and I think he's really a good talent. I am not saying because its his contract year he has been playing so well. Just a coincidence.It seems to me that this season he has been able to tap into that part of his game that was there all along but he just never found it.

My question to you is this. Do you think he can keep up this he can keep up this kind of play for say 2-3 years?

Jack of Blades
02-23-2010, 05:36 PM
Well Haywood did have 20 boards last night.

Chronz
02-23-2010, 05:39 PM
Its worth noting that bigmen do take longer to develop, maybe it took awhile for Haywood to come into his own, but yea if he suffers a significant decline next year, itll confirm the contract year theory.

koreancabbage
02-23-2010, 08:06 PM
he'll decline next year when he gets his contract, almost guaranteed of it.

bal_ravens
02-23-2010, 08:22 PM
Haywood has been doing this the past 3 years, but was just injured last year. Its not like these stats just popped up out of nowhere.

Im glad Haywood puts up great stats and gets no attention, but puts up similiar stats in Dallas and is being praised as a top 5 center. Such a shame...

christexaport
02-24-2010, 04:13 PM
Haywood is just entering his prime. He's a great center for Dallas, and alot better than Damp. Dallas media are already calling him Dallas' best center in Mavs history! Damp never got any accolades.

Haywood played for bad teams with a PG that dominated the ball in Arenas, instead of making the center look better. Any big will tell you how a PG makes the game easy for them on offense. He's WAY better defensively, even leaking to the perimeter to challenge 3 pointers at times when caught in a mismatch. Damp would never even try that. His hands are better, he's a better finisher, and a better rebounder. Center's don't mature until around 29-30, and Haywood has a chance to make some noise, get a ring, and a ton of cash this offseason.

Cubes, give this boy 4 years, $41 million ASAP! He deserves it.

Swashcuff
02-24-2010, 10:52 PM
Haywood is just entering his prime. He's a great center for Dallas, and alot better than Damp. Dallas media are already calling him Dallas' best center in Mavs history! Damp never got any accolades.

Haywood played for bad teams with a PG that dominated the ball in Arenas, instead of making the center look better. Any big will tell you how a PG makes the game easy for them on offense. He's WAY better defensively, even leaking to the perimeter to challenge 3 pointers at times when caught in a mismatch. Damp would never even try that. His hands are better, he's a better finisher, and a better rebounder. Center's don't mature until around 29-30, and Haywood has a chance to make some noise, get a ring, and a ton of cash this offseason.

Cubes, give this boy 4 years, $41 million ASAP! He deserves it.

That is the point when they are at the decline. Mature as in age and probably wit. But game play. Post like that is why Haywood is suddenly becoming overated, and is the point guard to blame for his 6.3 rpg career average. What has he done to deserve such a contract??? 5 games and he deserves it? Sigh. Right now he IS a better rebounder than Dampier but that is largely because of Damp's age.

Haywood is a solid Centre at best he'll never be and All-Star and 4 years, 41 million is All-Star calibre money.

JNA17
02-24-2010, 10:53 PM
Dampier sucks on offense, huge difference.

Bucsfan
02-25-2010, 10:27 AM
no Haywood is dampier 2.0, he is a combination of Shaq, David Robinson, patrick ewing, and hakeem all rolled in to one, they might as well go ahead and put him in the hof

Young2Kinsler
02-25-2010, 10:31 AM
no Haywood is dampier 2.0, he is a combination of Shaq, David Robinson, patrick ewing, and hakeem all rolled in to one, they might as well go ahead and put him in the hof

Good point.

Raidaz4Life
02-25-2010, 10:32 AM
They both wear headbands

drobe86
02-25-2010, 12:26 PM
Haywood is 10x the player of Dampier. And Dallas 5 game win streak is a pure example of this. If no one sees it, you just just plain don't know basketball......

Bucsfan
02-25-2010, 12:28 PM
Haywood is 10x the player of Dampier. And Dallas 5 game win streak is a pure example of this. If no one sees it, you just just plain don't know basketball......

ya we should probably cancel the rest of the season and just crown the mavs, at least imo

X12Celtics3
02-25-2010, 12:30 PM
They both wear headbands

CONFRIMED! Brendan Haywood = Erick Dampier
:p

Blackjack24
02-25-2010, 12:37 PM
Haywood's better, but not to such a disagree that the comparison has no merit. Haywood is more likely to be an overpaid starter, whereas Dampier was a super-overpaid role player.

drobe86
02-25-2010, 12:42 PM
Haywood's better, but not to such a disagree that the comparison has no merit. Haywood is more likely to be an overpaid starter, whereas Dampier was a super-overpaid role player.

So explain why Dampier has 5 double doubles all season. And Haywood has 5 double doubles in 6 games? Lol.... Where exactly is this comparison you were referring to?

Raph12
02-25-2010, 12:59 PM

No that honor would go to Durant.

Fresno
02-25-2010, 01:09 PM
So explain why Dampier has 5 double doubles all season. And Haywood has 5 double doubles in 6 games? Lol.... Where exactly is this comparison you were referring to?

Pretty much. They arent comparable at all, Hawood is all around a better player than Dampier.

Haywood is not a star big man but hes a solid low post presence on offense and defense, where as Dampier was primarily there for his defense which was supbar at best in recent years.

ragee
02-25-2010, 01:14 PM
I don't really care about next year... Just keep up the good work and help Dirk win a championship!!!!

Mavrix
02-25-2010, 07:58 PM
Haywood = a better version of Perkins

Raph12
02-25-2010, 08:22 PM

Perkins is the defender Haywood will never be and Haywood is more polished on the offensive end... I'd say it's more of a toss up between the two.

Swashcuff
02-25-2010, 08:38 PM

SIGH! Have you even seen a single celtics game???? Kendrick Perkins is on his way to being an All-Star. Watch him play and i know for a FACT you are going to change your mind. Haywood = OVERRATED by Mavs fans and Perkins= Underrated by everyone except Celts fans. Perk will eat him alive.

Bucsfan
02-25-2010, 08:41 PM
SIGH! Have you even seen a single celtics game???? Kendrick Perkins is on his way to being an All-Star. Watch him play and i know for a FACT you are going to change your mind. Haywood = OVERRATED by Mavs fans and Perkins= Underrated by everyone except Celts fans. Perk will eat him alive.

while i do agree, you do realize your doing the same thing he is doing, and gloating about people on your team, a fan of any team is going to value the people on their own team higher than others

Swashcuff
02-25-2010, 08:57 PM
while i do agree, you do realize your doing the same thing he is doing, and gloating about people on your team, a fan of any team is going to value the people on their own team higher than others

I am by no means a celtics fan I am an NBA fan, i appreciate players value despite what team they are on. But to say he is better than Perkins is ignorant. He brings so much more to the table than people give him credit for. Truthfully I really aint to fond of his cheeky ways but its effective and its the reason why he is arguably a top five post the defender in the league and has been for about the past two years. This is Haywood's first season in which he has lived up to his expectations and as soon as he went to the Mavs its like he is the next Dikembe Mutombo or something.

Bucsfan
02-25-2010, 09:06 PM
I am by no means a celtics fan I am an NBA fan, i appreciate players value despite what team they are on. But to say he is better than Perkins is ignorant. He brings so much more to the table than people give him credit for. Truthfully I really aint to fond of his cheeky ways but its effective and its the reason why he is arguably a top five post the defender in the league and has been for about the past two years. This is Haywood's first season in which he has lived up to his expectations and as soon as he went to the Mavs its like he is the next Dikembe Mutombo or something.

trust me i know, ive been around the NBA forum and the last few weeks...i got the mutombo feeling too, haywood is good dont get me wrong, he isnt as amazing as how some people are making him out

jlee3936
02-25-2010, 09:08 PM
all i know is haywood plays for a significantly better team now. i know the wizards were decent when arenas and co. were healthy and all there but they werent as good as the mavs. i think dallas' style of play will fit haywood better and you will continue to see these types of numbers from him for the remainder of the season, even when damp comes back AS HIS BACKUP. as for the better play in a contract year, i swear to god if haywood pulls a dampier and plays below par after signing a contract.. idk what i would do other than be extremely mad since he is 7 ft.

Mavrix
02-25-2010, 09:27 PM
Perkins is the defender Haywood will never be and Haywood is more polished on the offensive end... I'd say it's more of a toss up between the two.

Which is why Haywood averages more blocks and defensive rebounds per game??? No team has scored more than 97 points against this new team thanks to Haywood.

Mavrix
02-25-2010, 09:29 PM

SIGH! Have you even seen a single Mavericks game??????? Haywood is a much better shot blocker, rebounder, and offensive player.....PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong.

Mavrix
02-25-2010, 09:33 PM
When was the last time Perkins had 5 blocks against the Lakers? That's right...NEVER

jlee3936
02-25-2010, 09:34 PM
swashcuff thinks that just because perkins has an angry face all the time that hes a better player than haywood. its the intimidation factor.

Swashcuff
02-25-2010, 09:45 PM
SIGH! Have you even seen a single Mavericks game??????? Haywood is a much better shot blocker, rebounder, and offensive player.....PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong.

What the 6 games that Haywood's been on the team? Sigh! I saw one and he looked great. But I have seen more than a fair share of Wizards games in which he looked lost on D and having the much shorter Antawn Jamison grabbing defensive rebs over him. Perkins IS a better offensive player and that part of his game that is certainly improving. and you proved me correct on my point. I NEVER debated anything about their blocks or rebounds per game. I said look at him PLAY. As you very well know there are alot of things that don't show up on a stat sheet.

The point is Haywood always had the potential to play this well but always seemed to play sub-par and lackadaisical up until this season. If Haywood busted and played this hard for years (like Perkins) this thread would not have existed but because he has done it in a timely fashion (contract year) this speculation has arisen.

Swashcuff
02-25-2010, 09:46 PM
swashcuff thinks that just because perkins has an angry face all the time that hes a better player than haywood. its the intimidation factor.

Lol good one.

MacFitz92
02-25-2010, 09:52 PM
I wouldn't compare Damp to Haywood.

Haywood is a beast, Damp just looks like a beast.

MacFitz92
02-25-2010, 09:53 PM
What the 6 games that Haywood's been on the team? Sigh! I saw one and he looked great. But I have seen more than a fair share of Wizards games in which he looked lost on D and having the much shorter Antawn Jamison grabbing defensive rebs over him. Perkins IS a better offensive player and that part of his game that is certainly improving. and you proved me correct on my point. I NEVER debated anything about their blocks or rebounds per game. I said look at him PLAY. As you very well know there are alot of things that don't show up on a stat sheet.

The point is Haywood always had the potential to play this well but always seemed to play sub-par and lackadaisical up until this season. If Haywood busted and played this hard for years (like Perkins) this thread would not have existed but because he has done it in a timely fashion (contract year) this speculation has arisen.

Its not like he went from a non-playoff team to a title contender or anything.

Swashcuff
02-25-2010, 10:20 PM
Its not like he went from a non-playoff team to a title contender or anything.

I understand that but some are acting as if Haywood has led them to the Mavs to the championship already. He is a great pick up and thanks to his inside presence you have a much more complete/stronger team. Some posters just need to stop acting as if he is the Dikembe Mutombo.

Swashcuff
02-25-2010, 10:22 PM
Mavs fans tell me this. Who had the BETTER career previous to joining the Mavs, Damp or Haywood? The only difference is that this team is in better contention that the team of 04-05.

Mavrix
02-25-2010, 11:06 PM
Mavs fans tell me this. Who had the BETTER career previous to joining the Mavs, Damp or Haywood? The only difference is that this team is in better contention that the team of 04-05.

Haywood. Damp was never athletic or known as a real shot blocker. Stop looking at stats they'll only hurt your brain.

Swashcuff
02-25-2010, 11:09 PM
Haywood. Damp was never athletic or known as a real shot blocker. Stop looking at stats they'll only hurt your brain.

LOL. U amused me tonight. Thanks for the laugh! You of all people telling me to stop watching stats. LOL!

Mavrix
02-26-2010, 01:17 AM
LOL. U amused me tonight. Thanks for the laugh! You of all people telling me to stop watching stats. LOL!

Great come back. :eyebrow: