PDA

View Full Version : Mock Deadline Playoffs - #1 Utah Jazz vs #8 Golden State Warriors

BlondeBomber41
02-23-2010, 02:59 PM
This season we did a mock trade deadline in which users on this site took over as GM's of every team in the NBA. The goal was to improve your team the most before the real life trade deadline. The users then voted on playoff seedings of the other conference, and now its up to you to vote for who wins each matchup.

Please remember that this is just a game and there is no reason to vote for a team just because thats actually your favorite team in real life. Everybody worked really hard on their teams and it's only fair that you judge each team based on that teams talent, not that teams name.

At the bottom each team has sent in a write up explaining why they feel they would win the series. Please read each writeup before you make your decision, to be fair to the GM's who wrote it.

Utah as the higher seed has the homecourt advantage.

Utah Jazz Lineup:

Kirk Hinrich/Sergio Rodriguez/Dee Brown
Dwyane Wade/Ronnie Price/Morris Almond
Nicolas Batum/Matt Carroll/Eduardo Najera
Kevin Garnett/Craig Smith/Pops Mensah-Bonsu
Kendrick Perkins/Jeff Foster

Golden State Warriors Lineup:

C:Nene/Chris Anderson/Chris Hunter

PF:Carlos Boozer/Anthony Randolph

SF:Corey Maggette/Jeff Green/Devean George

SG:Eric Gordon/Morris Peterson

PG:Gilbert Arenas/CJ Watson

Utah Jazz Writeup:

PG- Kirk Hinrich v Gilbert Arenas

We all know of the offensive game that Arenas gives his team, but we also know of the amount of shots it takes him to get his points. His inefficiency combined with the stiff defense Hinrich can produce and known for. With Arenas already prone to about 3.5 turnovers a game, Hinrich's defense should exploit this. He is a decent compliment to Wade in the backcourt, and on offense can be used to spread the floor with his shooting more than anything. Arenas will get the stats, but I'm comfortable with him getting them as long as takes his usual high amount of shots, especialy with our solid defense.

SG- Dwyane Wade v Eric Gordon

I like Eric Gordon, he's having a solid season and is a solid player, but I think its self explanatory here who wins at both ends of the floor. Wade is my team leader, go to guy, my star, he should average his usual stats and then some up against Gordon. I dont see any of the Warrior's guards who could even slow Wade, big series from him. D Wade's got this.

SF- Nicolas Batum v Corey Maggette

Maggette is a decent scorer, a big body to get into the paint, but with the paint being clogged with Boozer and Nene down low I think his effectiveness will be hampered a lil bit on this team. Batum is my glue guy playing that Battier role, he's a stiff defender and can spread the floor with that corner three. I think this will be a wash, with Maggette scoring a handful more points than Nicolas.

PF- Kevin Garnett v Carlos Boozer

Carlos Boozer has been a beast this season. I'm a Jazz fan, I've seen him play. My only concern as a Jazz fan is can he bring it every night in the playoffs against bigger players and quality defenders. Carlos wont have a point guard of the quality of Deron Williams here either, which I think will further hurt his impact. Length has always bothered Carlos, especialy against the Lakers, and Garnett is the perfect guy to put on him. Kevin brings more than just his stats, he's a leader, especialy on the defensive end and I expect him to lead our team in ensuring we play quality defense. I think we have the edge here.

C- Kendrick Perkins v Nene

Perkins has to be considered as one of the top defensive centers in the league. He has played with Garnett for a few years now, and won a championship with him so I know these two guys have what it takes to win playing together. nene isnt consistant enough on the offensive end to have a big enough impact on this series, especialy not against the defense of Perkins. I think we have the edge here purely down to defense once again.

bench

I'm not going to lie, his bench is fantastic. Jeff Green, Anthony Randolph are great talents, but have never made the playoffs before, will their lack of experience sell them short? Birdman again is a great piece off the bench to sure up their defense. They dont have a Paul Millsap to come off the bench though, with Carlos Boozer getting into foul trouble early a lot that may hurt them. Our bench is more hustle players. Craig Smith is having a quality year, and I can count on him to come in and work hard. Ronnie Price is very underated, but he's a guy that gives me 100% every minute he's on the court. We have some shooting and also the veteran presence of the well respected Foster.

overall I think my team defense will be too water tight for his team to win the series. They will constantly be tryiong to outscore us instead of getting stops, and with nobody of defensive note on Dwyane Wade I think we should have a comfortable progression to the second round.

Golden State Warriors Writeup:
Congratulations to Jimbob on getting the number 1 seed. Well deserved, he did a great job with the Jazz.

Last time the 8th seed Warriors made the playoffs they pulled the history making upset. I believe my team has the opportunity to repeat history. I have put together a nice mix off scorers, shooters, slashers, defense and a strong bench that can compete against many teams.

PG: Arenas vs Hinrich: Agent 0 has returned to where he belongs, the bay area. Mr Stern has let Arenas free for the playoffs so he can help lead the Warriors to a championship. All things aside from the mistakes he made, Arenas is a great competitor and basketball player. I felt he was worth the risk that he carries.

Arenas finally is surrounded by talent at every position. He does not have to do everything on his own. He also has a great post presence so his penetrations are much more effective. Add that to Eric Gordon's shooting touch which opens up the floor for Arenas.

Advantage: Warriors

SG: Gordon vs Wade: Wade is a superstar, he is an amazing player. He can score and do everything on the floor. But Gordon is also a very good player. Gordon is a key player for the Warrios because of his shooting ability. Gordon's shooting opens up the entire offense for the rest of the team. He will make it easier for Arenas to slash to the inside and get easy bucket for Boozer and Nene.

Advantage: Jazz

SF: Maggette vs Batum: Maggete is the better player by far in this matchup. Batum brigs solid defense. But Maggette is bigger and stronger, and has great slashing and post up skills. Maggette will take advantage of the much skinnier Batum all series.

PF: Boozer vs Garnett: The frontcourt is where the Warriors shine. Both Boozer and Garnet are great Power Forwards in the NBA. But Garnett is past his prime and a shell of his old self. Boozer is in his prime and playing dominant basketball this season. Just last night he put up 22 points-23 rebounds-5 assists. Huge numbers from Carlos. I feel Carlos can up up big numbers this series despite the defense the Garnett brings to the table.

C: Nene vs Perkins: Both Nene and Perkins are very good NBA center's Both play excellent defense and are great rebounders. Where i feel Nene has the advantage is on the offensive end and more importantly at the free throw line. When its crunch time and the centers are being hacked and sent to the line, Nene has the advantage. Shooting 70% from the charity stripe. Where Perkins is a pathetic 58% from the line.

Bench: The Warriors bring Jeff Green, Anthony Randolph, Chris "Birdman" Anderson, and Morris Peterson off the bench. I have put together a very strong bench for this team. Green brings solid Offense and Defense, Anderson brings Defense and high flying energy, Peterson brings long distance shooting, and Randolph adds an offensive spark. The bench for the Jazz do not stand a chance against the youth and energy my bench brings.

Both are very good teams, i feel i have a slight shot at an upset in this series. Props again to Jimbob and what he was able to accomplish.

BosoxPapi61
02-23-2010, 03:15 PM
lets get some talk going

jimbobjarree
02-23-2010, 03:47 PM
defense!

29$JerZ
02-23-2010, 03:51 PM
I'd say Utah wins

tredigs
02-23-2010, 03:52 PM
Throw the players onto a mock NBA Live 2k10 (Or whatever game has the best simulator right now) game, simulate it, and see who wins? That would seem like the best way to make this objective.

I actually like the Warriors in this matchup player by player, that frontcourt is fierce and the bench is deep. Boozer at this point chews up and spits out the aging Garnett. Jazz have the best player here, but the Warriors have the much more dominant, explosive team.

BlondeBomber41
02-23-2010, 03:56 PM
Throw the players onto a mock NBA Live 2k10 (Or whatever game has the best simulator right now) game, simulate it, and see who wins? That would seem like the best way to make this objective.

I actually like the Warriors in this matchup player by player, that frontcourt is fierce and the bench is deep. Boozer at this point chews up and spits out the aging Garnett. Jazz have the best player here, but the Warriors have the much more dominant, explosive team.

That would be a god awful way of doing it.

Young2Kinsler
02-23-2010, 04:02 PM
LMAO at a video game simluation....

Anyways, again for me the names in the starting lineups make it look like Utah is just so much better, but their bench is TERRIBLE at the 3 4 and 5. This one is easier than the other matchup to me, give me the Warriors

29$JerZ
02-23-2010, 04:05 PM
I don't see how a Gilbert/Eric/Corey would work or is better then a Hinrich/Wade/Batum
GS is deeper but Utah has more balance in the lineup imo.

Up court KG and Perkins vs Nene and Anderson is a wash
Defense strictly up court so the 1-2-3 determines this and I think Utah is better

BlondeBomber41
02-23-2010, 04:05 PM
Yeah, I agree with you Y2K. I still went with the Jazz but its much much closer than a 1/8 matchup should be. I think the Jazz are gonna have trouble getting past teams later in the mock because besides Wade they dont have any legit options. KG is only putting up 14 a game this season, he hasn't looked good.

tredigs
02-23-2010, 04:06 PM
LMAO at a video game simluation....

Anyways, again for me the names in the starting lineups make it look like Utah is just so much better, but their bench is TERRIBLE at the 3 4 and 5. This one is easier than the other matchup to me, give me the Warriors

That would be a god awful way of doing it.

Why? Was just a random thought, but I can't think of a more objective way. They are pretty advanced sims out now, for what it's worth.

Is this the way that it is done? Random anonymous votes by people on the messageboard?

BlondeBomber41
02-23-2010, 04:06 PM
I don't see how a Gilbert/Eric/Corey would work or is better then a Hinrich/Wade/Batum
GS is deeper but Utah has more balance in the lineup imo.

Up court KG and Perkins vs Nene and Anderson is a wash
Defense strictly up court so the 1-2-3 determines this and I think Utah is better

You mean Nene and Boozer?

BlondeBomber41
02-23-2010, 04:07 PM
Why?

Is this the way that it is done? Random anonymous votes by people on the messageboard?

Because video games dont take into account things like defense and benches and what not. They pretty much just go off offensive talent.

If we did this by a video game the PHX Suns would of won every single year from like 2005-2008. It doesn't work that way.

29$JerZ
02-23-2010, 04:07 PM
You mean Nene and Boozer?

Typo my bad :)

I still think a KG/Perkins front court vs. Boozer/Nene/Anderson cancels out
What Utah lacks in depth is made up for by their starting lineup/balance imo

TrueFan420
02-23-2010, 05:34 PM
i like the warriors their just too deep. no one has even brought up the fact that cj watson has been playing out of his mind since recieving playing time lately

kEviN21
02-23-2010, 05:39 PM
My biggest things:
Nene is underrated and Kg is overrated :hide:

Batum<<Maggette

Warriors Bench>>Jazz Bench

=Reason I like Warriors...

Good luck

jimbobjarree
02-23-2010, 05:41 PM
team defense over offense every day of the week, real life I think we take this is 5, 6 games at the most

Sportfan
02-23-2010, 05:59 PM
Warriors making the magic happen!

The warriors backcourt D is flat out terrible. Wade will explode. KG shuts down Boozer defensivley and hinrich and Batum are also good defenders. Give me Utah

J$mo0th_3o5
02-23-2010, 06:06 PM
Jazz squad is nasty! Especially the defense, and of course it has Wade:)

MilwaukeeBAller
02-23-2010, 06:17 PM
What a 1 vs 8 matchup lol.

jimbobjarree
02-23-2010, 06:19 PM
yeah I think the Warriors would have been a higher seed, but we had to take previous record into account and the warriors in real life have a god awful record.

mser58
02-23-2010, 06:23 PM
Utah

Sportfan
02-23-2010, 06:24 PM
epic fail on JNA

JNA17
02-23-2010, 06:32 PM
epic fail on JNA

what did i do?

jimbobjarree
02-23-2010, 06:35 PM
what didnt you do?

Sportfan
02-23-2010, 06:35 PM
what did i do?
You voted as a GM

JNA17
02-23-2010, 06:38 PM
You voted as a GM

oh, i thought that meant the gms in the mock and stuff....

woops lol

ldc62
02-23-2010, 06:41 PM
I chose Jazz.

Kirk and Wade is a better duo than Arenas and Eric Gordon. Kirk doesn't need the ball that much, but can make a shot when need be. Arenas and Gordon both like to score. Corey is however, better than Batum. The frontcourt really won me over. KG and Perkins would be a monster on D, plus they played together in Boston.

Utah with the sweep

Silent
02-23-2010, 06:41 PM
utah in 6

HoopsDrive
02-23-2010, 06:45 PM
This is a more interesting matchup than the other series.

Utah's defense is impressive but GS has grouped a solid core of offensive players and their bench is better.

Wade is going to have a huge series here but KG would have to step up and some to be his sidekick or I can see an upset in the making. I don't see anyone in the Jazz that can take some of the offensive load off of Wade consistently. Someone is going to have to step up and it's likely going to be KG.

For the Warriors, they can be confident in the fact that their bench is superior. But the wild card is in Arenas' play. If he can be clutch and more of a distributor I think the upset is more likely to happen. Although you'd have to take into consideration off court issues.

The X factor for me are in the performances of KG and Arenas. Imo, this game goes to 7. I'll take the Jazz but if an upset happens, I wouldn't be surprised at all.

jimbobjarree
02-23-2010, 06:46 PM
oh, i thought that meant the gms in the mock and stuff....

woops lol

cus u wanna be part of the sexual jazz

JNA17
02-23-2010, 06:48 PM
cus u wanna be part of the sexual jazz

you read my mind :p

clehmun
02-24-2010, 01:24 AM
this one's hard. on one side, you have a great defensive team, wade and KG superstar names, etc.
on the other side you have a bunch of very good players who may or may not work together. BUT...

other than wade and maybe KG, the jazz really have no scoring. wade would have to score 35+ every single game for the jazz to have a chance. unless they can somehow keep the warriors to around 80 points a game.

KG is no long the player he was. he might be one of the best leaders in the league, but i don't know if he has any bite left. can he still be the one and only 2nd option on a championship team? i doubt it.

warriors have 6 guys who can score 20 points on any given night. while jazz have one player who can consistently put up more than 20 points in the game.

i love how the jazz built their team. normally i'd say this is the type of championship team i like. defense, superstar, excellent role players, chemistry. but the warriors are too deep, and jazz only have 4 notable players.

jimbobjarree
02-24-2010, 05:05 AM
^lol

Tblaze
02-24-2010, 05:26 AM
Hmmmm he has a point there though Jimmybob, you really lack some scoring ability... In real life aswell as on your mock team.

DaddyCool
02-24-2010, 08:09 AM
Hmmmm he has a point there though Jimmybob, you really lack some scoring ability... In real life aswell as on your mock team.

:laugh: Well done.

JNA17
02-24-2010, 08:58 AM
I think the defense will be too much to handle for the warriors so im going with the jazz

jimbobjarree
02-24-2010, 10:14 AM
^exactly. Scoring doesnt matter if you have the ability to get yourself a ton of stops on the defensive end. New York has a ton of offense, but a Boston team without Paul Pierce beat them last night, by your logic the Knicks should have had too much offense for them but the Celtics grinded it out. I think my team wins alot of games like that. And when you have Wade, winning tight games down the stretch while having the best defense shouldnt be a problem.

Also clehmun is a western rival who's cheesed he didnt get first seed so the credibility of his view reduces due to his motives of making us out to be worse than we are, making it pretty hollow and quite funny.

and tblaze we all know I cvould score you if I wanted to

Mile High Champ
02-24-2010, 10:57 AM
Arenas should not even be in this, he is suspended..

clehmun
02-24-2010, 11:17 AM
^exactly. Scoring doesnt matter if you have the ability to get yourself a ton of stops on the defensive end. New York has a ton of offense, but a Boston team without Paul Pierce beat them last night, by your logic the Knicks should have had too much offense for them but the Celtics grinded it out. I think my team wins alot of games like that. And when you have Wade, winning tight games down the stretch while having the best defense shouldnt be a problem.

Also clehmun is a western rival who's cheesed he didnt get first seed so the credibility of his view reduces due to his motives of making us out to be worse than we are, making it pretty hollow and quite funny.

and tblaze we all know I cvould score you if I wanted to

i was really just sharing my opinions, if you don't like it, it's one vote. i know a lot of posters on this forum are immature and would purposely post stuff to make others look worse, but i'm just doing this mock for fun, to relax, etc. and i had no intentions to make your team look bad. you can go through the posts on the mocks threads, i wasn't "cheesed" at all that i didn't get the first seed. We ended tying at first, and somehow RR decided you were first (maybe due to some people sending him their votes through PM), and i didn't even bother asking. so please don't put words in my mouth.

as for your reference to last night's game. the real life bostons are one of the best teams in the league, while knicks are one of the worst. without paul pierce, the celtics struggled and beat the knicks by 4. so i don't know why you would use this example like that. you talked about offense don't matter when you can put a ton of stops, then used last night's game as example. well, last nights game was 110-106, a pretty high scoring game. so not sure what point you were trying to make.

these warriors are much better than that knicks team who are undersized, not as much depth, and is starting two new players in the backcourt. yet they only lost by 4. yes you do have wade, but the real celtics also has rondo, allen, nate robinson, and rasheed.

but anyways, i'm not the type that tries to put teams down so i get a better chance at winning. voters are smarter than that. i try to be unbiased as much as i can, and i hope you would do the same and not try to discredit my words just because they're not something you like to hear.

jimbobjarree
02-24-2010, 11:20 AM
Arenas should not even be in this, he is suspended..

well people still think a back court of him and sophomore eric gordon can beat one of Hinrich and Wade so who are we to argue lol

jimbobjarree
02-24-2010, 11:25 AM
i was really just sharing my opinions, if you don't like it, it's one vote. i know a lot of posters on this forum are immature and would purposely post stuff to make others look worse, but i'm just doing this mock for fun, to relax, etc. and i had no intentions to make your team look bad. you can go through the posts on the mocks threads, i wasn't "cheesed" at all that i didn't get the first seed. We ended tying at first, and somehow RR decided you were first (maybe due to some people sending him their votes through PM), and i didn't even bother asking. so please don't put words in my mouth.

as for your reference to last night's game. the real life bostons are one of the best teams in the league, while knicks are one of the worst. without paul pierce, the celtics struggled and beat the knicks by 4. so i don't know why you would use this example like that. you talked about offense don't matter when you can put a ton of stops, then used last night's game as example. well, last nights game was 110-106, a pretty high scoring game. so not sure what point you were trying to make.

these warriors are much better than that knicks team who are undersized, not as much depth, and is starting two new players in the backcourt. yet they only lost by 4. yes you do have wade, but the real celtics also has rondo, allen, nate robinson, and rasheed.

but anyways, i'm not the type that tries to put teams down so i get a better chance at winning. voters are smarter than that. i try to be unbiased as much as i can, and i hope you would do the same and not try to discredit my words just because they're not something you like to hear.

dont mind at all mate, I dunno its just a trend in mocks and stuff, just my experience. When people start seeing you as a rival they start to discredit your team, and you just fit into that stereotype is all. I'm not one to be dragged into all that sort of nonsense as I think a few people take these things a tad too serious, but thanks I guess for the criticism. If I had 2 or 3 more days my next target was to get a scorer for my bench.

say what you want about my team, its all fair game and we'll move onto your match up later on this evening when you can experience the joy of random people judging your last 2 week's work building your team lol, and notice how differently rival gms view your team than random voters

clehmun
02-24-2010, 11:31 AM
dont mind at all mate, I dunno its just a trend in mocks and stuff, just my experience. When people start seeing you as a rival they start to discredit your team, and you just fit into that stereotype is all. I'm not one to be dragged into all that sort of nonsense as I think a few people take tyhese things a tad too serious.

say what you want about my team, its all fair game and we'll move onto your match up later on this evening when you can experience the joy of random people judging your last 2 week's work building your team lol

it's cool. like i said, i like your team a lot. it's how i'd like to build my teams too. one true superstar in wade, a great 2nd option in KG. balance, i like to have scoring options on the perimeter as well as post). defense. building a team of winners and champions. and good roles players in hinrich and perkins. all that's missing on your team is a 6th man like ginobili, odom, terry, jr smith, etc and depth on the team to really separate your team against others.

hopefully we'll meet something in the playoffs because that would mean WCF. good luck the rest of the way ;)

Mile High Champ
02-24-2010, 11:50 AM
well people still think a back court of him and sophomore eric gordon can beat one of Hinrich and Wade so who are we to argue lol

Yup, your jazz would take this series. I am still shocked the warriors even made the playoffs and Arenas even counts in the voting.

jimbobjarree
02-24-2010, 11:53 AM
do you think your griz would have taken me had they sneaked into 8th?

Mile High Champ
02-24-2010, 12:11 PM
do you think your griz would have taken me had they sneaked into 8th?

Would of been a better series IMO.. I had a very strong bench with a very solid front court. Gay-Bosh-Gasol could of made it more interesting against you.