PDA

View Full Version : Jeanie Buss' (Lakers Exec. VP) Wishes for Next Yr's NBA ALL-STAR GAME

ko8e24
02-23-2010, 02:54 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/los-angeles/lakers/post/_/id/3415/jeanie-buss-
revamps-the-all-star-game

For a variety of reasons, not the least of which are the explosion of the Internet and the NBA League Pass, I think the All-Star Game has lost much of its luster. Count me among those believing the whole weekend could use a shake-up. Along those lines, Lakers Executive VP of Business Operations Jeanie Buss has a killer idea to breathe new life into the All Star format.

Speaking to Fanhouse.com, she lays out her plan:

"I would do something really crazy with the All Star Game. This is something I've thought about a lot. I would like to see the fans vote for all the All Stars. Then you put them in a pool, and you take the two coaches and they draft the team right there, kind of like you used to do on a schoolyard. It wouldn't have anything to do with (Eastern Conference vs. Western Conference), it would just be all All-Stars, and then the coaches would decide which players they would take. Someone said (to me), "Well, whoever got taken last would be embarrassed." I thought, "OK, that's a good thing, because everybody's going to want to try and play hard."

I've heard any number of ideas on how to improve All-Star weekend, but this is by far the best. The picking of teams would be seriously compelling television. Kobe or LeBron? CP3 or Steve Nash? Forget the game, I'd pay just to watch that part.

And Jeanie is absolutely right about professional pride spurring hard play. Remember how much it sucked to be picked last during kickball in elementary school? (I don't, as my kickball skills were ample and highly-sought-after.) Or what it's like to be the last guy picked up at the rec? (This I know.) Or even have guys you think you're better than go before you?

Imagine how much having their relative worth (relatively speaking) determined in front of millions of people would motivate the players. Nothing like poking egos to spark a good show.

It'll never happen, but with the game heading to L.A. next year, I wish it would.

GodsSon
02-23-2010, 02:56 PM
I still don't understand how the All-Star game is in LA again after just 6 years (I think), when there are still cities who have never hosted it

ko8e24
02-23-2010, 03:04 PM
I still don't understand how the All-Star game is in LA again after just 6 years (I think), when there are still cities who have never hosted it

Haha, lol. This has already been ranted and discussed about bro. Just stay on topic.

still1ballin
02-23-2010, 03:40 PM

Would you rather have it in Milwaukee?

Tony_Starks
02-23-2010, 03:46 PM
If you've ever been out here and witnessed what goes down allstar weekend in LA you'd know why. It's by far the most marketable allstar experience the NBA could ask for.... thats why.

Back to topic Im down with what she proposes with the exception that the coaches should pick between their own conferences. The East vs West is what its all about and to take that away is almost blasphemy IMO. Now if the fans pick who they want, and the coaches pick from that pool within their own conference, that would be pretty damn exciting and you're still going to get a classic matchup.

unwantedplayer
02-23-2010, 03:46 PM
Would you rather have it in Milwaukee?

Boston, IMO.

:)

Draco
02-23-2010, 04:09 PM
This is something I've thought about a lot.

I'll bet.. don't over work yourself, Jennie.

G-Funk
02-23-2010, 04:41 PM
Instead of a dunk contest their should be 1on1 games like 21 so we can see Wade,Durant,Kobe,Melo,Lebron go at it

I would also like to see Euro's vs. Americans

still1ballin
02-24-2010, 12:08 AM
They need to add bigger names to the activities.

Raph12
02-24-2010, 12:18 AM
I like the idea of playing the ASG in football stadiums, wonder when they'll do it again.

ko8e24
02-24-2010, 12:20 AM
I like the idea of playing the ASG in football stadiums, wonder when they'll do it again.

Hey, they can alway do it at the LA Coliseum, where the Lakers championship parade was held and will be held again this yr :D

And, and of course, home of the USC TROJANS, Jeanie Buss' alumn school

IRUAM #21
02-24-2010, 12:26 AM
Who gave that HO permission to talk ?

TheDetroitBlue
02-24-2010, 12:45 AM
It be nice to see Toronto or Detroit to get one I don't think Detroits had one since 74

ko8e24
02-24-2010, 12:49 AM
Who gave that HO permission to talk ?

lol, GTFO. She's one of the most highly respected figures in the NBA today. She has always been about the business and always about the Lakers. She has given years and years to the organization, and I hope that when old man Buss retires, that she takes over, and not one of her stupid airhead brothers.

And she's popular, and she's hot for her age :drool:.

JNA17
02-24-2010, 01:23 AM

:nod:

yojoe792
02-24-2010, 01:35 AM
This is a good idea. I like it.

Venomous88
02-24-2010, 01:59 AM
I still don't understand how the All-Star game is in LA again after just 6 years (I think), when there are still cities who have never hosted itIt had more to do with the newly constructed LA Live than the actual city. It's going to be the first major sport event held in the complex.

Also, BOO Trojans!!

GodsSon
02-24-2010, 03:06 AM

http://www.blazersedge.com/images/admin/buss.jpg

ya i'd smash :D lol