PDA

View Full Version : Expansion Team 2010

Lindystud36
02-23-2010, 02:48 PM
The Summer of 2010 is supposed to be the greatest free agent class in a long time. But what happens if the players decide to go play overseas. Or what if they decide to come together and create an expansion team where they all enter as equal owners and pay themselves the league minumum. Their only intentions are creating the greatest sports market ever, the greatest team ever, and being demi-gods for the world we live in today.

Lebron James, Dwayne Wade, Chris Bosh, and Amare Stat all opt out of their contracts and create an expansion team. They are guranteed the first pick in the draft and select John Wall. Each player pays themselves 2 million dollars a year and each of the four free agents get 20 percent of the overall profits.

Nike goes into contract with all of the athletes and agrees to be the main endorser of the team.

They play as the second team in New York and for their first season all of their games are played at Nassau Collisuem until the new light house project is finished.

PG: John Wall
SG: Dwayne Wade
SF: Lebron James
PF: Chris Bosh
C: Amare

Your thoughts? and is this feasible? What are the legal structure, and WOW imagine

NYK_kidd77
02-23-2010, 02:49 PM
No

Lindystud36
02-23-2010, 02:51 PM
No

I am glad you left such a detailed disation on your thoughts on this topic.

abe_froman
02-23-2010, 02:54 PM
not feasible, sorry

NYK_kidd77
02-23-2010, 02:54 PM
I am glad you left such a detailed disation on your thoughts on this topic.

No problem.

Sn1ch_Turna
02-23-2010, 02:56 PM
Say no to drugs.

Lindystud36
02-23-2010, 02:57 PM
not feasible, sorry

Its an insane thought though, i am supprised no rich person hasnt lobbied to adding a team for this season knowing that with an empty cap they could have had 3 superstars and the first pick.

beardown78
02-23-2010, 02:59 PM
This isnt NBA 2K10 sorry

Lindystud36
02-23-2010, 03:01 PM
I thought of it during my Legal studies class, legally it can be done as we live in a free market.

^^^ No Drugs Here for me buddy^^^And i dont own a playstation of an xbox^^

abe_froman
02-23-2010, 03:03 PM
Its an insane thought though, i am supprised no rich person hasnt lobbied to adding a team for this season knowing that with an empty cap they could have had 3 superstars and the first pick.

again its not feasible,an expansion team deems an expansion draft thus negating the space to be able to buy 3 2010 stars

also no guarantee of getting pick 1

Lindystud36
02-23-2010, 03:04 PM
again its not feasible,an expansion team deems an expansion draft thus negating the space to be able to buy 3 2010 stars

also no guarantee of getting pick 1

I see, now thats positive posting. As i did not know that there is an expansion draft so the whole idea is worthless.

BoognishMN
02-23-2010, 03:15 PM
:facepalm:
You sir just earned my first ever facepalm.
The NBA and all Major League sports are a self regulating monopoly. They are not in the free market as you put it. In a sense the NBA is a cartel.
Cartel: "A collection of firms who by agreement, act as a single supplier of a good"

You cannot just start a franshise the owners and league need to approve entry into the league. They have contol over the number of teams as well as where the teams are located. This lets them control the market in the following was

– higher ticket prices due to a demand for games
–Value of each franchise increases with exclusive rights
–Limits players bargaining rights
-getting subsidies from goverment for opperating costs, equipent, arenas because there is a realist chance that a team can move if it's demands are not met.

valade16
02-23-2010, 03:16 PM
The Summer of 2010 is supposed to be the greatest free agent class in a long time. But what happens if the players decide to go play overseas. Or what if they decide to come together and create an expansion team where they all enter as equal owners and pay themselves the league minumum. Their only intentions are creating the greatest sports market ever, the greatest team ever, and being demi-gods for the world we live in today.

Lebron James, Dwayne Wade, Chris Bosh, and Amare Stat all opt out of their contracts and create an expansion team. They are guranteed the first pick in the draft and select John Wall. Each player pays themselves 2 million dollars a year and each of the four free agents get 20 percent of the overall profits.

Nike goes into contract with all of the athletes and agrees to be the main endorser of the team.

They play as the second team in New York and for their first season all of their games are played at Nassau Collisuem until the new light house project is finished.

Your thoughts? and is this feasible? What are the legal structure, and WOW imagine

That is thinking outside the box and it's a great hypothetical, but as somebody mentioned there is an expansion draft with no guarantee of getting No. 1 pick.

In addition the League's other managers has to approve an expansion team and knowing that will happen will most likely cause them all to vote no.

Pinrod33
02-23-2010, 03:18 PM
I see, now thats positive posting. As i did not know that there is an expansion draft so the whole idea is worthless.

Yea I think football is the only one that gaurantee's the 1st pick in every round during their expansion year. They have to have an expansion draft, but if they are paying themselves 2 mil per year, why wouldn't they be able to afford everyone? Can't they just pick the amount of players they need to fill out the rest of the roster? Sounds good to me, except that they should play in Miami. :D

td0tsfinest
02-23-2010, 03:36 PM
none of this seems close to being possible.

DaBUU
02-23-2010, 03:42 PM
This Thread = Fail

sry try again

Rattlehead2006
02-23-2010, 04:01 PM
[QUOTE=Lindystud36;12404220]I thought of it during my Legal studies class, legally it can be done as we live in a free market.

I love the idea, however free market doesn't apply to unions.

kArSoN RyDaH
02-23-2010, 04:08 PM

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Hellcrooner
02-23-2010, 04:19 PM
expansion teams are given the 4th pick or so by default

also they are forced to take 12 players in the expansion draft

and to end wiht it they start wiht 60% of the cap second year 70% third 85% and only in their fourth season they have the same cap figure that the other teams

this is made that way to avoid precisey what the OP says.

Hellcrooner
02-23-2010, 04:20 PM
not to mention expansion teams need the other owners approval....

pebloemer
02-23-2010, 04:24 PM

and to end wiht it they start wiht 60% of the cap second year 70% third 85% and only in their fourth season they have the same cap figure that the other teams

not to mention expansion teams need the other owners approval....

These were my thoughts too.

I doubt other owners would come together and agree to allow it, even if it were possible.

Lindystud36
02-23-2010, 11:53 PM
These were my thoughts too.

I doubt other owners would come together and agree to allow it, even if it were possible.

Thankyou

xbrackattackx
02-24-2010, 01:12 AM
There's enough free agents to pick up to make a 20 win team now.

Master Mind
02-24-2010, 01:42 AM
Pow! Right in the kisser.

Wilson
02-24-2010, 02:36 AM

:nod:

David Stern has also mentioned that the league is going to remain at 30 teams now. Unless a team moves, there won't be any new teams in the NBA for a long time.

JNA17
02-24-2010, 02:40 AM
PG: Chris Paul/Deron Williams
SG: Kobe Bryant/D-Wade
SF: Lebron James/Durant
PF: Chris Bosh/Dirk
C: Dwight Howard/Shaq (for ***** and giggles)

i think this can happen right?

Hellcrooner
02-24-2010, 02:47 AM
:nod:

David Stern has also mentioned that the league is going to remain at 30 teams now. Unless a team moves, there won't be any new teams in the NBA for a long time.
i think theres roome for 2 more isnt the Nfl and Mlb 32?

8 divisions.

Mexico DF Aztecs and Seattle Sonics to the West

Thunder and Grizz the to the east.

D1JM
02-24-2010, 02:47 AM
Say no to drugs.

Can they bring E.T. to their team too?

Master Mind
02-24-2010, 02:49 AM
Pshtttt! Pimp Slap!

JNA17
02-24-2010, 02:49 AM
Pshtttt! Pimp Slap!

wonder woman is hot

Jaji
02-24-2010, 02:51 AM

Actually, it could be done. Players don't realize how much power they actually have.

Unfortunately, there are some flaws in your theory. First, its not that easy to add an expansion team. They could form a team and declare themselves the best in the world but you can't just add an expansion team to the NBA like that.

Second problem, which isn't really a problem because of the first problem, but if the first problem was overcome, this new expansion would not have the 1st pick. What did the Raptors and Grizzlies get? #s 6 and 7? The Bobcats got pick 3? No expansion team has ever gotten the #1 pick in the NBA draft.

I credit you for thinking outside the box as I myself have always wondered about what would happen if LeBron got a richer contract offer from a team overseas. His endorsements would still be there and he'd only get more deals. It would shake up the face of basketball and really the world in general.

With that being said... puff, puff, pass because I need to hit whatever you're smoking on (as long as its green).

NBA-GMaster
02-24-2010, 02:59 AM
No.. Want to see the clippers move to another city?? ('coz there are two LA team..)

_KB24_
02-24-2010, 03:08 AM
Puke and Adam Morrison would be making more money than the starting five.....

:laugh:

king4day
02-24-2010, 03:21 AM
Interesting concept, but there's more to it than just saying you'll buy a team and want it ready to go for next year.
NBA economics has to look at it from the standpoint of whether or not fans will support a third team in the NY/NJ area (granted, all those players would be ideal to attract fans).

I think the Expansion draft forces a franchise to pick an entire team. I'm sure they could waive whomever, but I've never seen an expansion team do such a thing.
Bobcats got lucky in getting Wallace from the Kings.

Expansion teams can't get the #1 pick for a few years following their inception. So Wall is out.

Note: Wang is an idiot and is never going to build that Light House project. He's only about money and once that fell through he wanted to sell the Islanders. Seattle might be a good destination for those players if that's what they wanted to do.

Wilson
02-24-2010, 05:04 AM

8 divisions.

The NFL has 32 teams, I'm not sure about MLB and can't be bothered looking it up right now :p

I agree 100% that the Sonics should get a team and their history back. Just ship Durant and Co. back and give Oklahoma an expansion team. That's 16 teams in the West, as for the East - London baby!

abe_froman
02-24-2010, 05:13 AM

8 divisions.

half the league(at least)is losing money,adding two more will only worsen the problem...besides the quality has just gotten back in the past couple years from the dip it took from the last expansion

todu82
02-24-2010, 08:53 AM
The idea of the OP will never happen.

Tribe
02-24-2010, 09:12 AM
Yeah and they could all ride there private unicorns to the games and move into neverland ranch and fight crime on off days 2...

Lo Porto
02-24-2010, 09:51 AM
I thought of it during my Legal studies class, legally it can be done as we live in a free market.

US is a free market. NBA is a corporation. It takes them months to approve a new owner much less a new franchise.

If the NBA does anything, they need to get rid of 2 NBA franchises because the talent is too diluted.