PDA

View Full Version : Dwight and Shaq drop the "Superman" nickname battle and rekindle their friendship!

Raph12
02-23-2010, 04:09 AM
Dwight Howard and Shaquille O’Neal reached a détente in their budding rivalry
(http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/orlando-magic/os-orlando-magic-cleveland-cavaliers-side20100221,0,5915223.story)

The latest chapter in the rivalry between Dwight Howard and Shaquille O'Neal started with a snub but ended with a hug and conciliatory words.

In between, each superstar made a compelling case why he should be called " Superman."

In a physical battle seemingly made for the fictional Man of Steel, two of pro basketball's last remaining superstar big men brought out the best in each other.

Howard scored 22 points and collected 16 rebounds Sunday to lead the Orlando Magic to a 101-95 victory over the Cleveland Cavaliers.

O'Neal, meanwhile, played as efficiently on offense as he has all season. He made nine of his 10 shots and finished with 20 points.

"I really consider him a big man: myself, him and Yao," O'Neal said. "I'm sure he doesn't mind the physicality. I [darn] sure don't mind it. So, two big, strong guys — old bull, young bull — going at it? A fun game to watch."

Fun? Yes.

Filled with intrigue? That, too.

The gamesmanship started in the moments before tipoff. O'Neal gave Magic players Vince Carter and Matt Barnes long hugs. Howard hadn't yet walked onto the court, and O'Neal didn't wait around for him.

And after the game ended, Howard declined to answer when asked whether he felt O'Neal had tried to play "mind games" and get into Howard's head.

"I'm not getting into that, ‘mind games' or whatever," Howard said. "My job is to help my team win basketball games."

Neither player seemed to say anything to the other as the game continued. They just banged away at each other.

"I weigh 270 and you know how much Shaq weighs," Howard said. "He's a big load. With him, you want to just try to beat him early and push him out of there and fight him [for position]."

They reached a détente once the final buzzer sounded.

Howard stood at midcourt, and O'Neal walked over to Howard. They exchanged a brief hug.

In the visitors' locker room afterward, O'Neal insisted that he isn't upset that Howard is called "Superman," which had been one of O'Neal's nicknames.

"It never really bothered me," O'Neal said. "When I'm done playing, I want to have four, five or six [championships]. That's really my focus. I'm not really worrying about useless titles. I want to have four, five or six balls on my desk looking at the Butler Chain of Lakes."

But O'Neal said he wouldn't give Howard advice on how to become a better basketball player — at least not until O'Neal retires.

" Microsoft doesn't give advice to Apple." O'Neal said. "So when I retire from Microsoft then maybe I'll consult with Apple. But right now? No."

So Shaq credits Dwight by saying he's one of three true big men left in the league (him, Dwight and Yao), he says he likes playing against Dwight, he says he doesn't care about "useless titles" and he says he'll consider mentoring Dwight when he retires. Shaq apparently has turned the other cheek and is no longer "beefing" with Superman #2...

Did Dwight's comments ignite this kindness in Shaq or is this just another damage-control media strategy by Superman #1?

soonabooma
02-23-2010, 04:31 AM
Shaq is a tool. I don't think Dwight wants anything to do with him, why would he respect somebody who has no respect for anybody else. Shaq has proven time and time again that he's a fake. He's not as classy of a guy as people want to think. He's a complete nutjob that always wants attention. God, why can't we go back to the days of "Blue Chips?" That's about the only time he wasn't a douche, but it was only becuz he was pretending not to be. It was all an act in the movie to make people think he was cool. The reality is....he NEVER was cool in real life.:dance:

_KB24_
02-23-2010, 04:39 AM
The Big Diesel with the good move! The guy is a genuine guy, thats why I never could really hate on him even with some of the stuff he has said in the past. Good move big fella' :clap:

ko8e24
02-23-2010, 04:46 AM
lol, just happy this stupid thing is resolved. now we can all just move on, lmao!

kingbrentg
02-23-2010, 04:48 AM
"I want to have four, five or six balls on my desk"

:laugh2:

I'm immature..

stawka
02-23-2010, 06:26 AM
Like I said, I'd love for Shaq to mentor him when he retires. Obviously he won't be doing any of that sort now, but when he hangs 'em up for the last time, I'd LOVE for him to help Dwight out

Tribe
02-23-2010, 11:06 AM
Good...was getting borderline gay at this point

Raph12
02-23-2010, 11:23 AM
Like I said, I'd love for Shaq to mentor him when he retires. Obviously he won't be doing any of that sort now, but when he hangs 'em up for the last time, I'd LOVE for him to help Dwight out

I'd rather Dwight go to Hakeem for advice, Shaq could help out with his passing, but the Dream's post moves were untouchable, not even the great Kevin McHale could touch him down there... Yeah I said it.

If Dwight were to learn the "Dream Shake" game over!

bahama0811
02-23-2010, 11:25 AM
Great news, what a heartwarming story.

Super.
02-23-2010, 11:48 AM
I loves me some Shaq

Gibby23
02-23-2010, 11:54 AM
I'd rather Dwight go to Hakeem for advice, Shaq could help out with his passing, but the Dream's post moves were untouchable, not even the great Kevin McHale could touch him down there... Yeah I said it.

If Dwight were to learn the "Dream Shake" game over!

Dwight has some moves and even has some range. He just doesn't use it in games all the time.

Raph12
02-23-2010, 12:03 PM
Dwight has some moves and even has some range. He just doesn't use it in games all the time.

x2... Believe me, I know... but the Dream Shake is something he can use deep in the low post or out in the high post, either way, it's very effective and would be a great move to have in your arsenal.

td0tsfinest
02-23-2010, 12:21 PM
Why Can't we Be Friends (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcbu_kGsFOQ)
:P

AI4MVP
02-23-2010, 02:36 PM
Shaq has every right to say whatever he wants. Hes arguably one of the top 5 players of all time (you can make a case for him) and hes arguably the most dominant player in the history of professional sports

*Superman*
02-23-2010, 04:06 PM
Finally!