PDA

View Full Version : Sixers considering breaking ties with Allen Iverson

JordansBulls
02-22-2010, 04:07 PM
Link (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=aw-iversonsixers022210&prov=yhoo&type=lgns)

Allen Iverson will not be with the Philadelphia 76ers on their current West Coast road trip, and thereís a strong movement within the organization to permanently break ties with him, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.

Iverson is with his family to deal with medical issues concerning his daughter, but his constant in-and-out of the lineup this season has led team officials to believe a permanent break is best for the organization. Sources said Iverson went to team officials over the weekend and said he needed to leave the team again.

Sources say Sixers coach Eddie Jordan addressed the players on Sunday, and told them thereís a chance Iverson may not return to the team. However, Sixers ownership, general manager Ed Stefanski and Jordan havenít sat down and formally come to that decision, but sources with knowledge of the Sixers plans believe the franchise is leaning in that direction.

Iverson missed five games to be with his daughter from Feb. 3-10. He also didnít attend the All-Star Game after being voted as a starter for the Eastern Conference. He returned to the Sixers after the break and had played in the teamís past three games, including a 122-90 loss in Chicago.

The Sixers begin their four-game West Coast trip on Tuesday against the Golden State Warriors.

RaiderLakersA's
02-22-2010, 04:09 PM
Sad...clearly his focus is in the right place -- with his family. How can you punish a man for that???

GodsSon
The man is done

FlakeyFool
It's not his fault his daughter is sick

mikantsass
02-22-2010, 04:12 PM
So would he get bought out? Or cut?

Stunner
02-22-2010, 04:12 PM
This is sad the guy cant catch a break.

JLynn943
02-22-2010, 04:20 PM
First, I wish his family all the best and hope his daughter is well soon.

Second, I don't know why they would bother cutting him or buying him out with the season over half-way done. Show him some respect. It's not like the Sixers have a legitimate chance of contending still that cutting Iverson would magically help. It's pretty ridiculous, imo.

He's doing the right thing by staying with his daughter and is potentially getting punished for it...

icon1914
02-22-2010, 04:22 PM

This is a horrible situation for any person to be in, but I'm not going to say Iverson hasn't caught any breaks. He has had a very productive NBA career.

marlinsfan24
02-22-2010, 04:25 PM
Horrible ending to his career, but I bet he'll take that to see his daughter get better.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
02-22-2010, 04:26 PM
lol

DamnGoat
02-22-2010, 04:27 PM
Not sure I agree with that.

It's hard to feel sorry for someone that's made the kind of money he has in his career and watching him play he just doesn't look the same anymore. He should retire, not like he has much value in the league now anyway.

J-Relo
02-22-2010, 04:30 PM
he's not putting surprising numbers, but not bad too... in almost 32 minutes he makes 14/3/4...

i wish him the best, he had a great career... signing with 'ship team next year?

Bubba17
02-22-2010, 04:31 PM
The reason they would do this is because he hasnt helped since he has been back with the Sixers and hes just taking playing time away from other people. He really struggled since taking that 5 game break and really just doesnt have it anymore.

DaBUU
02-22-2010, 04:33 PM
If he had been a decent guy with the teams he was on and had excepted his new role a lot sooner, he'd be able to take this break to be with his daughter, and not have it affect his place on the team. at this point its cumulative.

Trouble87
02-22-2010, 04:34 PM
I'm not going to be all weepy and sentimental like most people in this thread

AI shouldve hung it up before this season began

My best wishes go to Lou Williams... your turn young fella

TheWatcher34
is it possible that a contender will sign him if he is willing to come off the bench??

bahama0811
It's sad what his career has come to. I was hoping he'd get going when he got to Philly.

Jaji
02-22-2010, 04:37 PM
Peace out AI. You had a great career. And at least you got to retire a Sixer. That was righteous. Now go... be with your family now.

Jaji
02-22-2010, 04:38 PM
It's sad what his career has come to. I was hoping he'd get going when he got to Philly.

7,000 posts :clap:.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
02-22-2010, 04:40 PM
is it possible that a contender will sign him if he is willing to come off the bench??

nope

Sly Guy
02-22-2010, 04:40 PM

when, if ever, has AI given you the impression that this is possible?

Jaji
02-22-2010, 04:42 PM

But is he willing to come off? He wasn't willing in the D or Memphis. But then again they weren't/aren't contenders.

Blackjack24
02-22-2010, 04:45 PM
Useless transaction, in terms of basketball. Iverson is about as average as can be. If this were baseball, he'd be the replacement player all others were compared against.

But, this may be related to family issues (illness). I do hope that works out for him.

BkOriginalOne
02-22-2010, 04:45 PM
Would any team take as a guy off the bench during thier playoff run?

pebloemer
02-22-2010, 04:50 PM
Should = retirement for AI.

Swashcuff
02-22-2010, 04:53 PM
:( wish you could have gone out in a blaze of glory and not like this my man. He is forever gonna be my favourite player. Don't think he has much left in the tank though. Family first though he's right.

td0tsfinest
02-22-2010, 04:53 PM
at least let the man retire a sixer.

One of the greatest little man to play in the nba.

BlondeBomber41
02-22-2010, 05:04 PM
Sad...clearly his focus is in the right place -- with his family. How can you punish a man for that???

Because with Iverson its always something... teams need stability.

Chronz
02-22-2010, 05:16 PM
Heard his daughter has some kind of heart problem, I wish her all the best.

JWO35
02-22-2010, 05:20 PM
Iverson should have walked away after it didn't work out with the Pistons, or at least sign with the Lakers or another contender and come of the bench in the Offseason. Iverson's time has come and gone and he was a hell of a player but its over.

Knowledge
02-22-2010, 05:43 PM
Because with Iverson its always something... teams need stability.

This isnt just something though, for a while his daughter was in the hospital and the doctors couldnt figure out what was wrong with her. He needs to be with is family and the team needs to move on, best thing for both parties.

I would have liked to see AI retire a 76er, but this is probably best.

Swashcuff
02-22-2010, 05:53 PM
This isnt just something though, for a while his daughter was in the hospital and the doctors couldnt figure out what was wrong with her. He needs to be with is family and the team needs to move on, best thing for both parties.

I would have liked to see AI retire a 76er, but this is probably best.

Wow I didnt even know she was sick for a while. :(

Kakaroach
02-22-2010, 06:20 PM
Looks like the honeymoon is over. I hope both sides choose so that AI finishes the season at least.

pd7631
02-22-2010, 06:21 PM
Wow I didnt even know she was sick for a while. :(

Yeah, since before the All Star Break she had been in the hospital for like 2 weeks. They've been running tests on her, and still haven't been able to figure out what's wrong with her. When AI came back to practice after the All Star break, he said that she was upbeat and happy, but he could tell something isn't right with her by looking at her hands. I have heard that it is something with her heart, and I'm wishing her a complete recovery, and hopefully they can find out what the problem is soon. Allen has always been a family man, and has said on numerous occassions that family comes first.

It is likely that AI's career is over, and while it is sad that it's ending like this, there's also a silver lining(assuming his daughter recovers). Allen has said that the last 3 years have been hell for him, and in his press conference after the Sixers signed him, he just expressed how happy he was to be back home. I think that him coming back brought a lot of closure to him and Sixer fans alike. We love AI, and him retiring in a Sixer uniform was always meant to be.

The main reason things didn't really come together this year for us, is because Eddie Jordan is just a flatout failure of a head coach(why we hired a guy with a career below .500 record is beyond me), and we have a poor mix of young guys and vets. The only real vets we have on the team are Brand, and AI, and the rest of the team is a bunch of young guys who are trying to prove that they belong in the league, rather than filling a specific role for the good of the team. It was a nice gesture to bring AI back, but it presented a conflict of interest, in that this team has young guys that need PT, and the 2 guys that needed the most PT just happened to play the same position as AI. So from a basketball standpoint it just wasn't a good fit.

I hope that this is a mutual parting, and that things end amicably(which I think is the case). I wish AI all the best, and thank him for the countless memories he brought me and other Sixer fans alike over the years. He made me love the game of basketball and the Sixers, and for that I am forever thankful. He is and will always be one of my heros, and I can't wait to be at the Wach for when #3 goes into the rafters.

FlakeyFool
02-22-2010, 06:24 PM
they can't just wait till the end of the season? Its not like they are doing anything this season

mzgrizz
02-22-2010, 06:59 PM

Excuuuuuuuuuuuuuuse me. AI is not going to come off the bench for anyone.
I am sorry he is having extended family problems with his daughter's health(see now; he WAS dealing with those issues during our 1-8 start to the season) but his priorities are at home and the NBA takes a back seat to no one.
Good luck AI and to your family,too

IversonIsKrazy
02-22-2010, 08:24 PM
I hope he retires, hes just hurting his career, and he can be with his daughter at all times, i hope he retires, atleast now he will retire as a sixer.

sixer04fan
02-22-2010, 08:46 PM
They still don't know what's wrong with his daughter.. Very sad. AI love you but do what you gotta do. Family first.

AirCanada15ORL
02-22-2010, 08:53 PM
Sad. I feel for AI. Those days were the BEST

still1ballin
02-22-2010, 10:17 PM
Just retire A.I.

ko8e24
02-22-2010, 10:43 PM
lol, why would they consider breaking ties. Just let him have his dream finishing a regular season and retiring as a sixer. let him play as many games as he wants for the remainder of the season. if his kid aint sick no more, he'll come back, but at least freakin give him that option of coming back when everything with his family returns to normal. The Sixers suck, they ain't goin now where, they ain't gonna make the playoffs, and they got only 20 something games left. might as well sell some tickets and the few iverson jerseys that have stored away in some box somewhere in the back. wtf?