PDA

View Full Version : NBA to prevent Z from re-signing with Cleveland

RaysFan
02-21-2010, 06:07 PM
At least that is what Chris Mannix wrote on his twitter page. If that happens then I wonder if it has something to do with the league not wanting Cleveland to keep LeBron in the off-season. I can't think of any other reason for them to randomly change the rules like this in the middle of the season, after all the trades have been completed. Especially since there was absolutely no evidence of a pre-arranged deal.

Chronz
02-21-2010, 06:10 PM
Im pretty sure theres nothing they can do about it.

Ragun
02-21-2010, 06:10 PM
yeah that would be super ****ed. there are other contenders out there that he can sign with though.

koreancabbage
02-21-2010, 06:14 PM
come on Lakers, sign Big Z.

Trouble87
02-21-2010, 06:15 PM
its about time the league implements a rule like that

I'm sick of these teams making trades only to see the player they traded get released then sign back with them.

It's ridiculous how these teams skate around the rules

DCB/LAL
02-21-2010, 06:15 PM
He can come to the Lakers if he wants. :D

29$JerZ
02-21-2010, 06:16 PM
I could see making the wait to return to a team that just traded you double, so it would take 60 days to resign giving Big Z more incentive to play elsewhere but there really is nothing illegal about it.

koreancabbage
02-21-2010, 06:18 PM
I could see making the wait to return to a team that just traded you double, so it would take 60 days to resign giving Big Z more incentive to play elsewhere but there really is nothing illegal about it.

something along this line- that way, it could prevent a player re-joining a team to be part of the playoff roster. He could play for season after x amount of games but the wait time should be after the playoff roster date (after the trade deadline) or something like that

arkanian215
02-21-2010, 06:21 PM
Really? It's within the rules for him to re-sign with the Cavs. The league can't do that to the Cavs. I'm pretty sure the Cavs did the trade with the intent to get him back after the buyout.

save the knicks
02-21-2010, 06:21 PM
Hey Trouble87 as a Knicks fan you should be happy about how teams skate around rules.

I hope that Walsh and Dantoni have been skating around rules with all those Olympic connections and such. They better be tampering damn it

Derick713
02-21-2010, 06:23 PM
The NBA can't stop the Cavs. Others Teams have done what the Cavs are about to do. Big Z probably has a year or two left and he wants to win a title with the team he's always played for. You'd think the NBA would want the Cavs to get to the Finals.

Mavrix
02-21-2010, 06:27 PM
C'mon Cuban, do the damn thang

Zefflin
02-21-2010, 06:30 PM
Well if that's true, Big Z should come to where the real King resides.

NYK_kidd77
02-21-2010, 06:32 PM
Theres nothing the NBA can do it's not against the rules no matter how stupid it may be.

Zefflin
02-21-2010, 06:33 PM
There's nothing the NBA can do??

hahahhaah

NYK_kidd77
02-21-2010, 06:36 PM
There's nothing the NBA can do??

hahahhaah

Lol i apologize there is stuff than can do

jetsfan89
02-21-2010, 06:37 PM
they can't do anything about it. they made the rules and its happened before, they can't randomly prevent him from doing that.

griffyatl
02-21-2010, 06:38 PM
Actually the league can do something about this and probably will. Thats is why the Lakers didn't trade derek Fisher with his expiring contract and have him back on the team in 30 days because they felt the leauge already had an eye of Zman and the Cavs and if they were already eyeing them then they would also get the leagues eye.

ChaseMe
02-21-2010, 06:42 PM
They have to wait 30 days after the buy-out but not only that, if he's not back by a specific date he won't be able to take part in the playoffs, I think it's April 1st.

Lakersfanla24
02-21-2010, 06:44 PM
I dont like that rule never have, however i dont think they should change it in the middle of the season. Especially in the case of a player like Z, he has played with the cavs since 96. on top of that he presents himself like a high class type of guy and for the nba to do this it would be a giant slap in the face to big Z and the cavs organization.

Strumpy
02-21-2010, 06:44 PM
they can't do anything about it. they made the rules and its happened before, they can't randomly prevent him from doing that.

Yes they can, and they have. Jerry Stackhouse ring a bell?

Chronz
02-21-2010, 06:47 PM

What do you mean?

homestarunner93
02-21-2010, 06:56 PM
Oh well, he can just come to Charlotte. :)

Raph12
02-21-2010, 07:10 PM
They shouldn't be able to change the rules, but I don't think Lebron will stay anyways if he can play with Stat in NYC next year.

With Shaq out next season, Orlando will run over them.

thedfactor
02-21-2010, 07:14 PM
Dallas will sign him if he's bought out.

ko8e24
02-21-2010, 07:18 PM
I dont like that rule never have, however i dont think they should change it in the middle of the season. Especially in the case of a player like Z, he has played with the cavs since 96. on top of that he presents himself like a high class type of guy and for the nba to do this it would be a giant slap in the face to big Z and the cavs organization.

Do you recall the last time a rule being changed by the NBA in the middle of a season?

Zefflin
02-21-2010, 07:19 PM
They shouldn't be able to change the rules, but I don't think Lebron will stay anyways if he can play with Stat in NYC next year.

Why shouldn't they be able to change the rules? Didn't they create them? Some rules suck and need to be changed.

And for some reason you just convinced me that Lebron WILL be in a Knick uniform next season.

znick21
02-21-2010, 07:21 PM

jerry stackhouse openly said the mavericks and nets had a deal in place to buy him out so he could go back to the mavs, which is illegal to do and that's why the league stopped the trade. if there's no proof that a deal like that has been made with the cavs and wizards (which we all know most likely was), there is nothing the league can do about it.

ko8e24
02-21-2010, 07:21 PM

Im assuming you mean the trade for Jason Kidd? But Stackhouse said it "BEFORE" the trade happened that he was gonna be back with Dallas anyways, and that screwed him over. This particular situation is "AFTER" the trade has already happened, without BIG Z himself saying anything. It's dangerous when a player is self-promoting himself and saying all that crap that he's gonna actually use that loophole. That's why you always leave that talking up to management and not the player. Stackhouse ****ed up.

ko8e24
02-21-2010, 07:25 PM
Why shouldn't they be able to change the rules? Didn't they create them? Some rules suck and need to be changed.

And for some reason you just convinced me that Lebron WILL be in a Knick uniform next season.

lol, me too, Shaq is not gonna be there in Cleveland to be guarding the likes of a Dwight Howard or any other big center that may make the move from the West to the East during the summer of 2010. I never thought about that until now. And if CLE does not win the title, then Shaq is simply gonna sign with another contender. When 2010 hits, t'll be the first time since 1996 that Shaq will be an unrestricted free agent, and he can choose for the first time in over 14 yrs where he wants to go and not have to get traded (04-Lakers), (08-Heat), (09-Suns). Hopefully, he comes back for a final 1-2 yrs in LA and wins 1-2 more rings before calling it a career :D

Lakersfanla24
02-21-2010, 07:30 PM
Do you recall the last time a rule being changed by the NBA in the middle of a season?

no i dont fill me in?

TheKing23
02-21-2010, 07:30 PM

Wait... Sorry, have you just travelled into the future and seen Shaq come down with a career ending injury or something?

He said he wants to continue to play with the Cavs next year... Probably on 1 year rolling contracts for the vet min.

Strumpy
02-21-2010, 07:31 PM
Im assuming you mean the trade for Jason Kidd? But Stackhouse said it "BEFORE" the trade happened that he was gonna be back with Dallas anyways, and that screwed him over. This particular situation is "AFTER" the trade has already happened, without BIG Z himself saying anything. It's dangerous when a player is self-promoting himself and saying all that crap that he's gonna actually use that loophole. That's why you always leave that talking up to management and not the player. Stackhouse ****ed up.

Ahh I see. Thanks for the clarification.

Hawkize31
02-21-2010, 07:32 PM

I'm sick of these teams making trades only to see the player they traded get released then sign back with them.

Perfectly valid point.

But I don't see how its fair to change the rules RIGHT NOW to prevent Cleveland from doing it this year. If you want to make that a rule for next season, go ahead. But rules should not be changed mid-season to single out specific teams, especially when other teams have done this type of thing before and the rules weren't changed then.

MJ-BULLS
02-21-2010, 07:36 PM

i agree.

avrpatsfan
02-21-2010, 07:36 PM
Perfectly valid point.

But I don't see how its fair to change the rules RIGHT NOW to prevent Cleveland from doing it this year. If you want to make that a rule for next season, go ahead. But rules should not be changed mid-season to single out specific teams, especially when other teams have done this type of thing before and the rules weren't changed then.

This

_KB24_
02-21-2010, 07:37 PM
Would be a big blow to the Cavs if they can't sign him. Z put so much into that franchise. I think he was in the top 3 players for the longest tenure with a team.

Lakersfanla24
02-21-2010, 07:45 PM
Would be a big blow to the Cavs if they can't sign him. Z put so much into that franchise. I think he was in the top 3 players for the longest tenure with a team.

I think i read he was tied with kobe for longest tenure with a team among active players. He has put to much into that city for the nba to do that to him. Eventhough it might ease some of my concerns about sterns man love for lebron i am against it happening mid season.

td0tsfinest
02-21-2010, 07:51 PM
so is this some kind of rule that was in real small print or did they just decide to make one right now ?

D1JM
02-21-2010, 07:52 PM
big Z with the lakers, that would be interesting. Very interesting.

JLynn943
02-21-2010, 07:56 PM
Perfectly valid point.

Yeah, pretty much. There's no reason to change the rule now (rather than in the offseason) other than to hurt Cleveland. I think the rule should be made, but do it when it doesn't directly effect a team's immediate plans (which were allowed when the plans were made).

ldc62
02-21-2010, 07:58 PM
Terrible source btw.
If the NBA bans Z from going back to the Cavs, the union is going to throw a fit. Unless they show evidence Z and Cavs had prearranged... - Chris Mannix

Raph12
02-21-2010, 08:00 PM
Wait... Sorry, have you just travelled into the future and seen Shaq come down with a career ending injury or something?

He said he wants to continue to play with the Cavs next year... Probably on 1 year rolling contracts for the vet min.

I doubt he returns, if he does, it's on Lebron, sign in the most populated city in all of America playing alongside a prime Amare or play with a washed up Shaq and aging Jamison in Cleveland, Ohio... Hmm, I wonder what he'll choose.

Tony_Starks
02-21-2010, 08:00 PM
There's nothing they can do unless they have clear cut proof that a deal was in place when he left. So far all you have is him saying "my heart is in Cleveland." Although their rivals hate to hear that its still not enough.

All they can do is change the rules next year, if they tried it this year the players union would be all over it and it wouldn't fly.

Blackjack24
02-21-2010, 08:01 PM
Yeah, a mid-season rules change would be a direct attack on the competitive balance. This is going to have to wait until after a full year finishes, so the NBA can maintain any semblance of integrity.

Fool
02-21-2010, 08:02 PM
Even as someone who greatly dislikes the Cavs, that would be unfair.

Storch
02-21-2010, 08:06 PM
It would be a great rule change to prevent the player bought out to return to the same team, however it shouldn't take effect until the summer. Or else, its definitely unfair for the cavs at this point in time.

NYK_kidd77
02-21-2010, 08:07 PM
I really hope he doesn't go back but it would be really unfair if they did not let him.

_KB24_
02-21-2010, 08:07 PM
I doubt he returns, if he does, it's on Lebron, sign in the most populated city in all of America playing alongside a prime Amare or play with a washed up Shaq and aging Jamison in Cleveland, Ohio... Hmm, I wonder what he'll choose.

Damn, that second part of your deal sounds AMAZING....:rolleyes:

ko8e24
02-21-2010, 08:11 PM
no i dont fill me in?

lol me neither, that's why I was asking :laugh2:

If someone would be kind of enough to find that out for all of us, that's be kool

JNA17
02-21-2010, 08:12 PM
they can do that?

HOZ THE KNICK
02-21-2010, 08:12 PM
you cant change a player game in the 9th inning this rule have to be in effect before the season start.

nuggetsyankees
02-21-2010, 08:13 PM
The Nuggets have to be interested

Raph12
02-21-2010, 08:13 PM
Damn, that second part of your deal sounds AMAZING....:rolleyes:

Exactly, not only is Lebron a spotlight **** so playing in NYC isn't appealling enough as is, but it's a smarter basketball decision as well... Doubt he goes back to Cleveland now, even the Clippers have a better chance of landing him IMO.

If Cleveland loses to Orlando again, or any other team, say bye bye to Lebron.

Lakersfanla24
02-21-2010, 08:36 PM
lol me neither, that's why I was asking :laugh2:

If someone would be kind of enough to find that out for all of us, that's be kool

This (http://www.nba.com/analysis/rules_history.html) is what i could find about rule changes and the last one i can see that was made mideason was march 7th 1977 and it was the rule stating that any player involved in a fight would be subject to a $10,000 fine.

Draco
02-21-2010, 08:38 PM
If it wasn't a problem before this years trade deadline then why is it a problem now? (or, if no one was complaining before this years trade deadline then why are they complaining now?) Because the Cav's have a good team and could potentially get even better?

NYK_kidd77
02-21-2010, 08:42 PM
Come on Dallas sign him:D

ZebraCity916
02-21-2010, 08:53 PM
That's ********. Why won't they let him re-sign with Cleveland?? I don't see anything wrong with that.

Kakaroach
02-21-2010, 08:59 PM
Agreed with many people here, implement this rule change in the summer, not in the middle of the season.

nuggetsyankees
02-21-2010, 08:59 PM
they said that the Cavs and Z planned for him to seek a buyout and return to them so that's why

TheKing23
02-21-2010, 09:09 PM
Exactly, not only is Lebron a spotlight **** so playing in NYC isn't appealling enough as is, but it's a smarter basketball decision as well... Doubt he goes back to Cleveland now, even the Clippers have a better chance of landing him IMO.

If Cleveland loses to Orlando again, or any other team, say bye bye to Lebron.

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Wow... So many things wrong with this post...

1. Why is it a better basketball decision for him to join the Knicks? The current Cavs team is COMPLETELY built around him. If he goes to New York they can put Amar'e or Boozer next to him but then who else... They still wouldn't have the necessary role players to make a title challenge.

2. The Clippers have a better chance of landing him??? What are you smoking?! Some of those ESPN writers have brainwashed you...

3. "If Cleveland loses to Orlando again, or any other team, say bye bye to Lebron"... Ok, so if the Cavs don't go on a 26 win streak to finish the season, he's gonna leave his hometown that's gonna contend for as long as he's on the roster?

Raph12
02-21-2010, 09:21 PM
:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Wow... So many things wrong with this post...

1. Why is it a better basketball decision for him to join the Knicks? The current Cavs team is COMPLETELY built around him. If he goes to New York they can put Amar'e or Boozer next to him but then who else... They still wouldn't have the necessary role players to make a title challenge.

2. The Clippers have a better chance of landing him??? What are you smoking?! Some of those ESPN writers have brainwashed you...

3. "If Cleveland loses to Orlando again, or any other team, say bye bye to Lebron"... Ok, so if the Cavs don't go on a 26 win streak to finish the season, he's gonna leave his hometown that's gonna contend for as long as he's on the roster?

1. Lebron + Amare + anyone they want for the MLE, Bi-Annual and vet's min, this is the Knicks, they don't care about luxury tax and plus, who wouldn't want to play with the King and Stat in NYC?

2. PG - Baron Davis, SG - Eric Gordon, PF - Blake Griffin and C - Chris Kaman, they are one Lebron James away from being a contender team.

3. No I mean in the playoffs, if they don't make the Finals again, bye bye Lebron. And yes Lebron would leave his hometown to play in NYC to watch his fav team the Yankees play regularly.

This is all I gotta say:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7b8F5eBCtRM

Tony_Starks
02-21-2010, 09:24 PM
they said that the Cavs and Z planned for him to seek a buyout and return to them so that's why

Saying and proving are two different things. It has to be absolute solid proof not hearsay.

The Cavs are getting Jamison for free and I don't mind one bit. I don't want to hear ANY excuses when the Lakers raise another banner this year!

Trouble87
02-21-2010, 09:26 PM
Hey Trouble87 as a Knicks fan you should be happy about how teams skate around rules.

I hope that Walsh and Dantoni have been skating around rules with all those Olympic connections and such. They better be tampering damn it

I don't like that either... D'Antoni and all his connections led to NY's infatuation with the 2010 free agency. Takes away from the fun of the game knowing you have to wait two years to be competitive.

JNA17
02-21-2010, 09:26 PM
2. PG - Baron Davis, SG - Eric Gordon, PF - Blake Griffin and C - Chris Kaman, they are one Lebron James away from being a contender team.

Lebron won't go to the clippers because of their curse.

PantyRaider
02-21-2010, 09:31 PM
I love it. Cleveland must be pissed. I wonder if he'll sign with Boston? LA has enough bigs so it will probably be Boston or Dallas.

LeBrowns
02-21-2010, 09:34 PM
I wouldn't be too worried PantySniffer...this is a bluff

JNA17
02-21-2010, 09:35 PM
I love it. Cleveland must be pissed. I wonder if he'll sign with Boston? LA has enough bigs so it will probably be Boston or Dallas.

meth is one hell of a drug.

Raph12
02-21-2010, 09:36 PM
Lebron won't go to the clippers because of their curse.

The Clipps apparently have enough for a max deal and their lineup looks better than any other one with a max available out there... But I think they'll find a way to mess things up again.

JNA17
02-21-2010, 09:37 PM
But I think they'll find a way to mess things up again.

Don't they always?

Ethix11
02-21-2010, 09:37 PM

The giant slap in the face happened when the Cavs sold out Big Z by trading him after spending his whole career there when he admitted it would be his final days playing. 3 months before the playoffs and that Cavs trade him away to get Jamison for a ¨better¨shot at the title is such a low move imo. Big Zs pissed after waiting so long when this season seemed to be the one to win it all.

nipo10847
02-21-2010, 09:40 PM
lol, me too, Shaq is not gonna be there in Cleveland to be guarding the likes of a Dwight Howard or any other big center that may make the move from the West to the East during the summer of 2010. I never thought about that until now. And if CLE does not win the title, then Shaq is simply gonna sign with another contender. When 2010 hits, t'll be the first time since 1996 that Shaq will be an unrestricted free agent, and he can choose for the first time in over 14 yrs where he wants to go and not have to get traded (04-Lakers), (08-Heat), (09-Suns). Hopefully, he comes back for a final 1-2 yrs in LA and wins 1-2 more rings before calling it a career :D

I would love to see him go back and play with kobe once again before he retires. I am sure he would seriously consider it if he is offered, but Kobe will never let it happen.

Melo15
02-21-2010, 09:51 PM
If the league blocks this it would be ridiculous. The rule is their own wrongdoing, I am sure the players union would go crazy over this. Big Z loves Cleveland and should be allowed to finish his career there. Now, if they do make it so that he can't return to Cleveland there is always a spot in Denver for you big z lol.

Quikdraw
02-21-2010, 09:53 PM
Perfectly valid point.

Bingo!

phoenix_bladen
02-21-2010, 09:54 PM
The giant slap in the face happened when the Cavs sold out Big Z by trading him after spending his whole career there when he admitted it would be his final days playing. 3 months before the playoffs and that Cavs trade him away to get Jamison for a ¨better¨shot at the title is such a low move imo. Big Zs pissed after waiting so long when this season seemed to be the one to win it all.

lol players are like prostitutes

once they're done f-ing with you they don't want you

Chacarron
02-21-2010, 09:57 PM

Hey Method Man, quit smoking that ****

DenButsu
02-21-2010, 09:58 PM
Didn't see this posted yet. A little more detail here:

Wizards near buyout with Ilgauskas
By Adrian Wojnarowski, Yahoo! Sports 2 hours, 48 minutes ago

Zydrunas Ilgauskas(notes) could reach agreement on a buyout with the Washington Wizards in the next couple days, his agent told Yahoo! Sports on Sunday.

The bigger question is this: Will the NBA allow him to return to the Cleveland Cavaliers?

Ilgauskas’ agent, Herb Rudoy, said he was “hopeful” a buyout would be done by “Monday or Tuesday,” after having discussions with Wizards general manager Ernie Grunfeld over the weekend.

The Los Angeles Times reported the NBA has told teams the center won’t be allowed to return to the Cavaliers, based on evidence there was a prearranged deal. The Cavs traded Ilgauskas and a No. 1 draft pick for Antawn Jamison(notes) on Thursday, and many in the NBA – including Lakers coach Phil Jackson and Boston Celtics coach Doc Rivers – insisted they believed Ilgauskas was always destined to return to Cleveland.

“ ‘Z’ does not want to go to Washington and knows that there are plenty of good teams that want to sign him,” Rudoy said. “He’s going to take his time.”

Players have to wait 30 days before re-signing with the team that just traded them.

Rudoy insists the NBA hasn’t contacted him about any evidence of a prearranged deal, and vehemently denied anything had been arranged among the Wizards, Cavs and Ilgauskas to get the center back to Cleveland for the playoffs.

“I signed off on the document that there are no other deals in place on this, and I’m not going to put my practice of representing players in jeopardy if that wasn’t true,” Rudoy said.yahoo (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AiJoYurXJK_xuhkqGAolL0q8vLYF?slug=ys-ilgauskasbuyout022110&prov=yhoo&type=lgns)

Raph12
02-21-2010, 10:01 PM
Damn if he doesn't come back to the Cavs, that's a huge loss come playoffs.

akay47
02-21-2010, 10:17 PM
You can't change a rule midseason lol? How does that make any sense? I agree, the rule is stupid and it should be changed, but they should change it in the off-season, not in the middle of the season

lakersrnumber1
02-21-2010, 10:32 PM
im glad the nba is stepping in that ******** needs to stop. Lakers could of got hinrich if they gave away fisher but there loyal not like the cavs and they deserve to get slap in there face for trading big z hes been there the longiest and he still got game.

redsox0717
02-21-2010, 10:33 PM
They aren't changing any rules. They are basing this on the fact that there was a pre-arranged agreement in the trade for Z returning to the Cavaliers, which was never allowed.

Of course, I'd like to see how the NBA proves that such an agreement was made. *popcorn*

TheKing23
02-21-2010, 10:42 PM
Yeah, if he isn't allowed to return I can't wait to here how the NBA "knew" he was gonna re-sign...

Kevj77
02-22-2010, 12:17 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this why Stackhouse was removed from the Kidd to the Mavs trade a few years back? He said he would just be back on the Mavs after a 30 day vacation and the league said they wouldn't allow it. They had to scrap the original trade jeopardizing the deal because the NBA said they couldn't do it with the knowledge he would be waived and resign.

That is why the Mavs had to resign a player Van Horn that had been out of the NBA for 2 years to make the trade. Another rule that needs to be changed. Remember the Lakers did a similiar thing trading Aaron McKie in the Gasol deal. I heard without him in the deal the numbers don't work and Gasol is never trade there.

NYK_kidd77
02-22-2010, 12:31 AM
I smell a rat!!!!

Derick713
02-22-2010, 12:31 AM
The NBA has no evidence in regards to a prearranged deal. Big Z has only played for the Cavs. He wants to win a title with the Cavs. The Wizards don't have to buy him out. They want to save money and he doesn't want to play for them.

IF THE NBA THOUGHT THERE WAS DEAL ALREADY IN PLACE TO GET BIG Z BOUGHT OUT, THEN THEY WOULD'VE STOPPED THE TRADE. The fact that the trade went through means there is no evidence to support not allowing Big Z to return.

Derick713
02-22-2010, 12:32 AM
Would the NBA have stepped in if the Cavs had signed and traded Wally for Maggette. The NBA shouldn't be allowed to alter the rules until a new CBA is worked out.

magichatnumber9
02-22-2010, 12:38 AM
Riddle me this bat man. Can't the players union step in on this and veto? if the NBA tries to change a rule involving a player mid season.

Gibby23
02-22-2010, 12:39 AM
The NBA has no evidence in regards to a prearranged deal. Big Z has only played for the Cavs. He wants to win a title with the Cavs. The Wizards don't have to buy him out. They want to save money and he doesn't want to play for them.

IF THE NBA THOUGHT THERE WAS DEAL ALREADY IN PLACE TO GET BIG Z BOUGHT OUT, THEN THEY WOULD'VE STOPPED THE TRADE. The fact that the trade went through means there is no evidence to support not allowing Big Z to return.

How do you know that, the NBA has a bunch of people working for them and they could have recieved some info, Maybe from the Wiz as payback for the playoff beat downs.

NYK_kidd77
02-22-2010, 12:41 AM
How do you know that, the NBA has a bunch of people working for them and they could have recieved some info, Maybe from the Wiz as payback for the playoff beat downs.

Yes like i said i smell a rat!!!!! Come on lakers sign him:)

mrblisterdundee
02-22-2010, 12:43 AM
I think it was San Antonio that did the exact same thing with one of its centers. Either way, the league can't stop the Cavaliers from re-signing Ilgauskas. All the Cavaliers will have to do is take the league to court, establish the past precedent supporting their case, and laugh all the way to the championship. Of course, I think Denver could beat them in the championships, with or without Ilgauskas playing.

reffahead
02-22-2010, 12:52 AM
Essentially Cle. gets Jamison for nothing except a severely late pick (no. 30). Not only that but Z gets a 30 day vacation and gets to have April to get back into shape. The NBA loses credibility to the point where they should hire Vince Mcmahon to run things if these things continue.

Derick713
02-22-2010, 01:00 AM

The Wizards don't have to buyout Big Z. They're under the tax. It wouldn't make sense for the Wizards to buy Big Z out and then tell the NBA the Cavs agreed to it. No team in the NBA would trust the Wizards. The Cavs can't really force the Wizards hand since any revelation by the Cavs would mean they would get into trouble with the league.

The Cavs can still wait to see who gets bought out. Brain Cardinal is still out there. Raja Bell could be bought out.

Big Z has only played for the Cavs. He’s nearing the end and wants to win a title with the Cavs.

Derick713
02-22-2010, 01:05 AM
Essentially Cle. gets Jamison for nothing except a severely late pick (no. 30). Not only that but Z gets a 30 day vacation and gets to have April to get back into shape. The NBA loses credibility to the point where they should hire Vince Mcmahon to run things if these things continue.

If LeBron James leaves then the Cavs are stuck with some bad contracts. It's a huge gamble to take on Jamsion at age 33. The Cavs gave up a 1st and their ability to sign a max player in 2010. The Cavs are about to pay a huge tax bill and not many team would take that on. The Wizards would've liked to deal Jamison to any team besides the Cavs if those teams met their demands. The Cavs will still be over the tax with all the expiring contracts.

Jamison makes it less likely the Cavs can resign LeBron James. Jamison is 33 years old and you would think that James would want a younger core surrounding him. Big Z and O'Neal could retire. Gibson and West aren't anything special. Varejao and Hickson aren't going to be better than Howard, Bass, Lewis, Gortat, and etc next season.

LET THE CAVS WIN SOMETHING BEFORE JAMES LEAVES.

Statik1
02-22-2010, 01:08 AM
He would fit nicely in the triangle :D

NYK_kidd77
02-22-2010, 01:11 AM
If LeBron James leaves then the Cavs are stuck with some bad contracts. It's a huge gamble to take on Jamsion at age 33. The Cavs gave up a 1st and their ability to sign a max player in 2010. The Cavs are about to pay a huge tax bill and not many team would take that on. The Wizards would've liked to deal Jamison to any team besides the Cavs if those teams met their demands. The Cavs will still be over the tax with all the expiring contracts.

Jamison makes it less likely the Cavs can resign LeBron James. Jamison is 33 years old and you would think that James would want a younger core surrounding him. Big Z and O'Neal could retire. Gibson and West aren't anything special. Varejao and Hickson aren't going to be better than Howard, Bass, Lewis, Gortat, and etc next season.

LET THE CAVS WIN SOMETHING BEFORE JAMES LEAVES.

Yeah for them to take this huge gamble they might feel they need to win now if they want to keep the king in his castle.

WickedBadMan
02-22-2010, 01:28 AM
Maybe it's just me, but I think James stands a bigger chance of leaving if they win this year. If he was to leave Cleveland without winning anything he looks like a chump + if he gets paired up with another max contract player - looks like he can't win anything by himself.

Raph12
02-22-2010, 02:37 AM
Maybe it's just me, but I think James stands a bigger chance of leaving if they win this year. If he was to leave Cleveland without winning anything he looks like a chump + if he gets paired up with another max contract player - looks like he can't win anything by himself.

I don't think anyone's called Shaquille O'Neal a chump when he left Orlando to win rings with Kobe in LA and don't say Kobe was just a rookie, because when they won (2000-02), Kobe was going for 25-30ppg nightly.

lakerboy
02-22-2010, 10:59 AM
If the league blocks this it would be ridiculous. The rule is their own wrongdoing, I am sure the players union would go crazy over this. Big Z loves Cleveland and should be allowed to finish his career there. Now, if they do make it so that he can't return to Cleveland there is always a spot in Denver for you big z lol.

Derrick Fisher is the union president. He shouldn't be so concerned with little things like this.

J-Relo
02-22-2010, 11:17 AM
no way, Z is a cavalier for life

Jay22Redd
02-22-2010, 11:17 AM
If the NBA where to do this, they should wait until next season. Everyone knows this was part of Cleveland's plan. Even the NBA. They shouldnt enforce rules in the middle of the season.

Knickrocketsfan
02-22-2010, 12:27 PM
get over it I personally hope the NBA does this but it is not against the rules for plaer to sign back with there team after traded then released thats why they have to wait 30 days

Knickrocketsfan
02-22-2010, 12:27 PM
o and uf the cavs don't get Z back idt they win a champion ship because who will spell shaq

69centers
02-22-2010, 12:43 PM
They are not trying to change the rule mid year. If they find a prearranged deal was made, they can block it. Z going right back to Cleveland after his Washington physical kind of sinks his ship and gives them evidence of it being worked out already. He should have at least tried to stay in Washington and play a game or two.

Derick713
02-22-2010, 12:50 PM

If James wins then he should leave. I think it would make it easier for James to leave if he wins a title for the city.

NYK_kidd77
02-22-2010, 01:31 PM
I dont think it would be from a rule change they may know something that none of us know about.

cheezinmypocket
02-22-2010, 01:46 PM
This is a pretty big conversation about nothing. It is just some dude talking crap on Twitter.

Derick713
02-22-2010, 01:53 PM
I found this on ESPN in the section titled NBA Power Rankings. The Cavs slipped to the 2 spot in the rankings with LA on top.

Rest assured that the Cavs will eventually get Big Z back without much league interference. I'm pretty sure their mojo will be back soon, too, because a no-brainer trade and Mo Williams' return have to be positives. Agreed?

DodgerBulls
02-22-2010, 01:59 PM
The fact that the Wizards has the option to either keep Z or buyout him out for their future plan, the NBA really can't do anything.

What if a player was traded then bought out by the receiving team, but nobody wants to sign him except for the team he played for before the trade.. but because of a rule that he can't go back to the same team on the same season, wouldn't that be unfair to the player too? Basically, the player cannot get a job in the NBA for the remainder of the season because he was blacklisted from the team by the league. Same as you getting laid off, but the company wants to hire you back because the business picked up.. but unfortunetly you can't work for the company until months after.

RaiderLakersA's
02-22-2010, 02:16 PM
no way, Z is a cavalier for life

No, he's not. He's a Wizard now. :D

I agree that it's wrong for the NBA to change the rules mid-season. But the article said that the NBA officials already HAVE the evidence to indicate that this trade was bogus and designed in part to allow Big Z to return to the Cavs. This is going to be fun to see how this plays out.

On another note, I'm surprised no one picked up on the fact that both the Lakers and the Celtics organizations agree on something. Could the end of the world be far off? :speechless:

Pinrod33
02-22-2010, 03:16 PM
They aren't changing any rules. They are basing this on the fact that there was a pre-arranged agreement in the trade for Z returning to the Cavaliers, which was never allowed.

Of course, I'd like to see how the NBA proves that such an agreement was made. *popcorn*

THANK YOU!!! I've been trying to read all these posts and say this exact thing at the end, but I wanted to make sure no one had already said it. Everyone keeps saying "They can't change a rule in the middle of the season"...... They probably could if they wanted to regardless, but this is not even that case. This rule is already in effect, and the simple fact that Big Z (I don't even want to bother looking for the spelling of his name) has not out right said he would go back to the Cavs doesn't mean that wasn't the plan the whole time. What the Cavs gave up to get Jamison is already embarrasing, but to turn right around and pick him back up when there are plenty of teams that would love to have him on their playoff roster is just wrong.

I understand he has the right to go wherever he wants to go, but there is a reason the NBA makes teams trade within 25% of the players' salary. It's so teams that have given up on life don't trade their stars for balogna sandwiches while these playoff teams continue to get better. So by making a horrible trade and buying out the player so he can return to the team you got him from is nothing more than these teams trying to circumvent the system and cheat.

I don't even really agree with the buyouts, even though that's how the heat got Zo during their championship run, but at least he didn't go back to the team he was on. Isn't it baseball that has some sort of rule where if you trade a player he cannot go back to his original team for the rest of the season, or something like that?? I'm pretty sure I've heard of something like that. Can someone help with that?

xbrackattackx
02-22-2010, 03:18 PM
Serves them right for thinking he was expendable. He's always been loyal to them. And they do that to him.

Raph12
02-22-2010, 04:24 PM
If something was setup and there is evidence of it, fine, otherwise they shouldn't stop them.

TheShock45
02-22-2010, 04:34 PM
why are people laughing, there is NOTHING the NBA can do as of right now. they werent stupid like jerry stackhouse and the mavs. Nothing was spoken about Z returning, all he said was he was sad to go because his heart was in cleveland. there are NO rules stating a player who is cut can not return to his team and i highly doubt, even with this poorly poorly run organization, that David Stern with throw together a rule over night.

Now with that said NEXT year there will be some kind of rule in place, it will probly say a player can not sign with the team that traded him away untill next season

stawka
02-22-2010, 07:49 PM
So much for the NBA blocking it from happening...

NEW YORK (AP)—An official within the league tells The Associated Press the NBA has not threatened to stop a potential reunion between the Cleveland Cavaliers and Zydrunas Ilgauskas(notes).

The Cavaliers traded their longtime center to Washington last week in the three-team deal that brought Antawn Jamison(notes) to Cleveland. The Wizards may decide to buy out Ilgauskas, allowing him to become a free agent.

The Los Angeles Times quoted an unnamed source Sunday saying the NBA had told other teams it wouldn’t let Ilgauskas go back to the Cavs. However, the official told the AP the league would only step in if there was proof of an agreement before the trade was completed.

The person was granted anonymity because he was not authorized to comment publicly about the Ilgauskas situation.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=Aj1Ienh8Ha.qUTlexfOXYby8vLYF?slug=ap-cavaliers-ilgauskas&prov=ap&type=lgns

ko8e24
02-22-2010, 07:54 PM
Thanks to Stawka for posting that.

Now, this thread really doesn't make any sense. Close it. Cuz Big Z is gonna return to the Cavs, lol.

SO much for all of that 8 pages of speculation for this thread, lmao!

stawka
02-22-2010, 07:57 PM
His agent also states that the Cavs and Z didn't have an agreement. That being said, LeBron wouldn't be happy if Z doesn't return, and the fans/Z deserve to have him there in Cleveland. It wouldn't work otherwise

bigsams50
02-22-2010, 07:58 PM
For all he's done there Big Z deserves to retire a Cavalier

TheKing23
02-22-2010, 08:10 PM
I would literally cry if he didn't return... C'mon Big Z, hurry up and come home.

C_Mund
02-22-2010, 08:20 PM
If they DO block the re-sign, Z can always find himself a new home in T.O!
...but to be honest, I'd rather he ended up back in the Cleve so he doesn't go to LA, San Antonio, Boston.....

DCB/LAL
02-22-2010, 08:22 PM
All this and he hasn't even been bought out yet, he's still a Wizard who knows if they even will.

The Wizard aren't pay the luxury tax are they?

TheKing23
02-22-2010, 09:05 PM
All this and he hasn't even been bought out yet, he's still a Wizard who knows if they even will.

The Wizard aren't pay the luxury tax are they?

If they don't buy him out, they'll have to pay an extra $5-8 million in luxury tax... He will definitely be bought out this week.

Tony_Starks
02-22-2010, 09:34 PM
Its pretty much just a matter of time. His agent may even shop him around to a couple of teams just for appearances sake but we all know whatsup. Teams are going to be pissed but there's no way you can stop it.

I do believe as a result though next year they'll change the rule. Probably something like if you're bought out you can't return to your former team until the following season. That would force the player to either sign with someone else or sit out.

DCB/LAL
02-22-2010, 09:39 PM
If they don't buy him out, they'll have to pay an extra $5-8 million in luxury tax... He will definitely be bought out this week.

Ok got ya.

I didn't know if they were over the Luxury tax.

The whole issue is Bull I think some guy who was upset with the trade just made all that bull***t up.

Kakaroach
02-22-2010, 09:52 PM
If they don't buy him out, they'll have to pay an extra $5-8 million in luxury tax... He will definitely be bought out this week. Yeah they will for sure buy him out. But if they don't let him go to the Cavs, he will go to another contending team or at least a playoff team.

heathonater
02-22-2010, 10:25 PM
i think the nba is trying to discourage the cavs from signing big z back. but i dont think they have any authority on whether the cavs sign him or not. the league might not like it, but the cavs aren't breaking any rules here.

TheKing23
02-22-2010, 10:41 PM
Yeah they will for sure buy him out. But if they don't let him go to the Cavs, he will go to another contending team or at least a playoff team.

They have no decision in where he goes... As soon as he's bought out he becomes a free agent, so it's up to him and his agent on where he decides to go.

rabzouz 96
02-22-2010, 10:43 PM
cavs should be allowed to resign him, its only fair looking at how many contending teams pulled that move in the last few years, they should find a way to prohibit it next year though.

Lo Porto
02-22-2010, 10:59 PM
There have to be some rule changes with this new CBA. It is pretty stupid how a team can trade somebody and turn right around get them back. It's about as dumb as the "can't trade a player with another player for 90 days rule".

BkOriginalOne
02-22-2010, 11:11 PM
Nuggets, Please, we need a big who can shoot off the pine.

NBA-GMaster
02-22-2010, 11:21 PM
Its not true and Big Z is going back to Cleveland after buyout..