PDA

View Full Version : Does Shaq’s beef with Dwight Howard have anything to do with Stan Van Gundy?

Ty Fast
02-21-2010, 02:16 PM
Shaq and Dwight used to be friends. They did a dance off at the all star game a few years ago and were buddies. Then Stan Van Gundy was running his mouth to Shaq then he started having a problem with Howard. I thought Shaq’s biggest rivalry was Kobe and Shaq said Kobe could not win a title without him so you would think when Kobe made it to the Finals that he would cheer against him. However Shaq said he was rooting for Kobe all the way.

BTownTeamsRKing
02-21-2010, 03:52 PM
shaq has a bad personality. its not hard to fight with him and disagree with him. Howard appears to be a constant nice guy and he would never get along with shaq for a long period of time.

Raph12
02-21-2010, 07:25 PM
Shaq's a bully, it's his personality... Remember when he dunked on Bynum as a rookie, then Bynum responded by spinning on him and throwing it down, Shaq grabbed the 17 year old, pulled him in and elbowed him in the kisser.

Shaq doesn't like anyone upstaging him, remember what Shaq said after the game against the Magic in Cleveland. "Superman my ***, I've never doubled anyone, blah blah blah"

Shaq scored on Dwight only once on there iso plays, he commited 2 turnovers and missed a hook on another attempt, most of his points came off putbacks, created plays by Lebron or on Gortat. Dwight scored 14 of his 22 on Shaq, drawing 3 fouls, missing one and getting blocked by him twice.

Well who's the real Superman now you *****, they doubled Dwight on touch all fourth quarter long.

RadiantShot
02-21-2010, 08:12 PM
Shaq's a bully, it's his personality... Remember when he dunked on Bynum as a rookie, then Bynum responded by spinning on him and throwing it down, Shaq grabbed the 17 year old, pulled him in and elbowed him in the kisser.

Shaq doesn't like anyone upstaging him, remember what Shaq said after the game against the Magic in Cleveland. "Superman my ***, I've never doubled anyone, blah blah blah"

Shaq scored on Dwight only once on there iso plays, he commited 2 turnovers and missed a hook on another attempt, most of his points came off putbacks, created plays by Lebron or on Gortat. Dwight scored 14 of his 22 on Shaq, drawing 3 fouls, missing one and getting blocked by him twice.

Well who's the real Superman now you *****, they doubled Dwight on touch all fourth quarter long.

Yup. Looks like Shaq couldn't back the trash talk up!
And Shaq doesn't need to double anyone, he, himself is a double. He's like two people in one. ****.

stawka
02-21-2010, 08:16 PM
Lmao @ the clown blaming the bynum thing on Shaq. There's a thing called YouTube... Use it!

Bynum came down the court and bumped into Shaq, I don't think a HOFer would take that from a bum, no HOFer would. Hell, Jordan didn't even take it from Reggie, why would Shaq take it from him?

Either way I hate the beef with Dwight. I'd much rather Shaq mentor him when he retires

FlakeyFool
02-21-2010, 08:20 PM
shaq has a bad personality. its not hard to fight with him and disagree with him. Howard appears to be a constant nice guy and he would never get along with shaq for a long period of time.

shaq's ego is enormoussssssssssssss

Raph12
02-21-2010, 08:33 PM
Lmao @ the clown blaming the bynum thing on Shaq. There's a thing called YouTube... Use it!

Bynum came down the court and bumped into Shaq, I don't think a HOFer would take that from a bum, no HOFer would. Hell, Jordan didn't even take it from Reggie, why would Shaq take it from him?

Either way I hate the beef with Dwight. I'd much rather Shaq mentor him when he retires

Yeah that's not happening, even after Dwight made his speech about letting Shaq be "Superman" and accepting a "Superman number 2" title, Shaq walked by him in the halls after the ASG and didn't even acknowledge him... Tonight their only off-court exchange was a cold fist-pump.

Shaq doesn't like Dwight because he doesn't like anyone being compared to him (ie. Bynum by LA fans). If Dwight's still the #1 center in the league and people are still calling him Superman, Shaq will never like Dwight... Never.

RadiantShot
02-21-2010, 08:36 PM
Yeah that's not happening, even after Dwight made his speech about letting Shaq be "Superman" and accepting a "Superman number 2" title, Shaq walked by him in the halls after the ASG and didn't even acknowledge him... Tonight their only off-court exchange was a cold fist-pump.

Shaq doesn't like Dwight because he doesn't like anyone being compared to him (ie. Bynum by LA fans). If Dwight's still the #1 center in the league and people are still calling him Superman, Shaq will never like Dwight... Never.

Agrizzled.
To be honest though, go re-watch before the tip-off. Dwight tried to fist-bump Shaq, and Shaq actually slapped his hand away, like, "Nah, don't even come over here with that, I'm the real Superman, even tho you finna kick my ***."

Kakaroach
02-21-2010, 08:39 PM
Agrizzled.
To be honest though, go re-watch before the tip-off. Dwight tried to fist-bump Shaq, and Shaq actually slapped his hand away, like, "Nah, don't even come over here with that, I'm the real Superman, even tho you finna kick my ***." :laugh: That is my new favorite word.

Anywho, for sure Shaq's beef with SVG doesn't help the Dwight situation.

ldc62
02-22-2010, 12:57 AM
did anyone else see Shaq just smack Dwight's fist, when they were about to tip off.

Raph12
02-22-2010, 01:59 AM
did anyone else see Shaq just smack Dwight's fist, when they were about to tip off.

Yeah like I said, Shaq's a douche, he makes you want the Cavs to lose just so you can see him looks stupid.

iggypop123
02-22-2010, 02:11 AM
its ego and some talk loudly about it some dont. shaq obviously lets his feelings known to anyone that will listen. others do it with their play. for example hakeem destroyed david robinson for getting the mvp. shaq is just annoying and loud about it

Jaji
02-22-2010, 02:30 AM
Man Shaq dunked on Dwight something awful tonight!

Raph12
02-22-2010, 02:32 AM
Man Shaq dunked on Dwight something awful tonight!

He caught the ball with Dwight under the rim, not much you can do at that point.

Shaq only scored on him once in iso situations, Dwight scored 14 of his 22 on Shaq in isos... Don't think there is much of a comparison anymore.

SteveNash
02-22-2010, 02:34 AM
He caught the ball with Dwight under the rim, not much you can do at that point.

Shaq only scored on him once in iso situations, Dwight scored 14 of his 22 on Shaq in isos... Don't think there is much of a comparison anymore.

What were the stats on off the ball double teams between the two?

Jaji
02-22-2010, 02:37 AM

Well I would hope a guy in his early 20s is better than a guy in his early 40s. But I'm talking about the offensive rebound over Howard and throwing it down in his FACE and he also hit him with a spin move and got an and 1 dunk too. Howard is obviously better at this point in their careers but Shaq still likes to bully him a little just to remind the young man who the real Super Man is.

Cromedome
02-22-2010, 03:10 AM

I don't remember it this way at all. Shaq dunked on Bynum ... then Bynum spinned on Shaq and dunked it on him. Bynum came up the court and BUMPED Shaq which led to whatever the hell you were talking about.

Shaq is the 1 of the best centers in HISTORY...and i'm not a fan of a big man who plays like Mr. Rogers (Howard) .

Raph12
02-22-2010, 03:15 AM
Well I would hope a guy in his early 20s is better than a guy in his early 40s. But I'm talking about the offensive rebound over Howard and throwing it down in his FACE and he also hit him with a spin move and got an and 1 dunk too. Howard is obviously better at this point in their careers but Shaq still likes to bully him a little just to remind the young man who the real Super Man is.

Shaq's intimidated by Dwight, he's too immature, Dwight just rolled with it. You didn't see him pull some lame attempt at trying to throw down on him as well, he just played within himself.

Shaq's nothing like Superman, he's more like Hulk, just pure power and uncontrollable aggression. Dwight's unpenetrable, high flying, faster than a bullet and is really, really strong. Did you notice Shaq couldn't budge him down low when they went one-on-one? Kobe already said Dwight's the strongest guy he's ever played with. And plus, Dwight has that same mature, calm demeanor that Superman has, whereas Shaq's more of a Lex Luthor personality.

But if he means Superman in the sense of career accolades, it's incomparable, Shaq would tear him up at this point. I mean comparing a 24 yr old guy not even in the prime of his career, with a 37 yr old man who's been there done that and played with some of the GOAT (Penny, Kobe [3 rings], Wade [1 ring] and now Lebron [?]). Shaq never won anything until he was 28, give Dwight some time, he'll probably retire with the most DPOY awards in NBA history, barring injuries and have a couple of rings and maybe an MVP award to show for it as well.

_KB24_
02-22-2010, 03:17 AM
Shaq is too cool for school :cool:

SteveNash
02-22-2010, 03:19 AM
But if he means Superman in the sense of career accolades, it's incomparable, Shaq would tear him up at this point. I mean comparing a 24 yr old guy not even in the prime of his career, with a 37 yr old man who's been there done that and played with some of the GOAT (Penny, Kobe [3 rings], Wade [1 ring] and now Lebron [?]). Shaq never won anything until he was 28, give Dwight some time, he'll probably retire with the most DPOY awards in NBA history, barring injuries and have a couple of rings and maybe an MVP award to show for it as well.

Shaq at 24 still destroys Howard at 24. It's not about career accolades, it's about Shaq being a far superior player, Dwight has not even passed rookie Shaq.

Raph12
02-22-2010, 03:28 AM
Shaq at 24 still destroys Howard at 24. It's not about career accolades, it's about Shaq being a far superior player, Dwight has not even passed rookie Shaq.

Maybe not offensively, but he's lightyears ahead of any Shaq defensively.

SteveNash
02-22-2010, 03:31 AM

I don't remember Shaq having to have help double teaming 37 year olds off the ball.

Raph12
02-22-2010, 03:34 AM
I don't remember Shaq having to have help double teaming 37 year olds off the ball.

Don't remember Shaq guarding anyone weighing 375lbs or 398lbs for his prime (50lbs higher than his own weight).

And btw, he played single coverage today and Shaq scored on him only once in an iso set when he gambled for a steal.

SteveNash
02-22-2010, 03:42 AM
Don't remember Shaq guarding anyone weighing 375lbs or 398lbs for his prime (50lbs higher than his own weight).

And btw, he played single coverage today and Shaq scored on him only once in an iso set when he gambled for a steal.

So are you really criticizing Shaq's competition? What does Howard have to go against? Yao (gets destroyed), Shaq (gets destroyed), who else?

And no he didn't player single coverage against Shaq the whole day.

_KB24_
02-22-2010, 03:44 AM

Not so sure of that buddy.

Raph12
02-22-2010, 03:57 AM
Not so sure of that buddy.

Shaq has always been a lazy subpar defender who'll play defense when he feels like it. He didn't hustle back hard on defense and he camped in the paint waiting at the basket to maul guys who came in for a layup. Now the times have changed and the guys are much more athletic, plus that def 3 in the key really took it's toll on his defensive game.

Dwight controls the paint, he alters shots and blocks them at a ferocious rate as well. Not to mention he has the best one-on-one defense in the league down low (Perk would get an hon mention) and the best pick-and-roll defense of alltime able to guard both guys cutting to the basket simultaneously.

If you're not sure, you're wrong, they're incomparable, Shaq has been a poor defender his whole career, to even compare him to Dwight, who may one day lead the NBA in DPOY awards for his career is just silly IMO.

SteveNash
02-22-2010, 04:09 AM
Shaq has always been a lazy subpar defender who'll play defense when he feels like it. He didn't hustle back hard on defense and he camped in the paint waiting at the basket to maul guys who came in for a layup. Now the times have changed and the guys are much more athletic, plus that def 3 in the key really took it's toll on his defensive game.

Dwight controls the paint, he alters shots and blocks them at a ferocious rate as well. Not to mention he has the best one-on-one defense in the league down low (Perk would get an hon mention) and the best pick-and-roll defense of alltime able to guard both guys cutting to the basket simultaneously.

If you're not sure, you're wrong, they're incomparable, Shaq has been a poor defender his whole career, to even compare him to Dwight, who may one day lead the NBA in DPOY awards for his career is just silly IMO.

:laugh::laugh:

Raph12
02-22-2010, 04:25 AM
:laugh::laugh:

Laughing at your life?... Yeah I think it's pretty funny as well.

RadiantShot
02-22-2010, 10:52 AM
Lmfao. Raph is owning everyone in this thread. I like this.
:laugh:

td0tsfinest
02-22-2010, 11:03 AM
Shaq beefs with everyone. That's who he is.

Jay22Redd
02-22-2010, 11:26 AM
So are you really criticizing Shaq's competition? What does Howard have to go against? Yao (gets destroyed), Shaq (gets destroyed), who else?

I hope your not saying D12 destroys Yao. Ok look, D12 ceiling is way higher but everytime they play another, Yao dominates. D12 is lucky if he gets a double double.

Knickrocketsfan
02-22-2010, 12:18 PM
Dwight steals all of Shaqs style... HE IS NOT SHAQ and HE WILL NEVER BE AS GOOD AS SHAQ

Knickrocketsfan
02-22-2010, 12:21 PM
exactly what I say about Yao and Dwight imo Yao is the Best center in the league

Raph12
02-22-2010, 12:31 PM

He played single coverage on him whenever Jamison was in the game. And in this season, since he's been the anchor on offense, he's owned everybody, there doesn't seem to be a guy in the league who could keep up with Dwight on either end.

Dwight steals all of Shaqs style... HE IS NOT SHAQ and HE WILL NEVER BE AS GOOD AS SHAQ

Shaq's a 350lb bull, take away his weight (make him 250lbs) and he becomes a role player. He's a good passer and that's about it, he bodies everyone to do anything on the court. Dwight doesn't need to be as good as Shaq, they're two different players, mark my words, Dwight will retire with the most DPOY awards in NBA history and stamp his name among the Top 5 centers of all time, right up there with Hakeem, Kareem, Shaq and Wilt.

Jaji
02-22-2010, 12:47 PM

I wouldn't say light years. And who cares about defense anyway lol? Shaq is one of the best offensive big men ever to play the game. He's a top 5 center in NBA history, one of the 50 greatest players of all time. I think the Howard comparisons are "cute" because they both started their careers in Orlando and both like the Super Man logo. But in reality, from an all time perspective, Dwight is a little boy to Shaq. Dwight Howard would have done absolutely nothing to stop Shaq from helping the Lakers collect 3 straight titles. He would have gotten manhandled just like Smits, Mutombo and whoever the nets had in the middle that year.

Shaq is the original Super Man. He had the tattoo when Dwight was still in diapers. Plus he made that dumb 'Steel' movie. When another center gets drafted by the Orlando Magic and also tries to call himself Super Man, that's just gay. Now please stop, you're making me lose respect for Dwight Howard altogether.

Raph12
02-22-2010, 02:00 PM
I wouldn't say light years. And who cares about defense anyway lol? Shaq is one of the best offensive big men ever to play the game. He's a top 5 center in NBA history, one of the 50 greatest players of all time. I think the Howard comparisons are "cute" because they both started their careers in Orlando and both like the Super Man logo. But in reality, from an all time perspective, Dwight is a little boy to Shaq. Dwight Howard would have done absolutely nothing to stop Shaq from helping the Lakers collect 3 straight titles. He would have gotten manhandled just like Smits, Mutombo and whoever the nets had in the middle that year.

Shaq is the original Super Man. He had the tattoo when Dwight was still in diapers. Plus he made that dumb 'Steel' movie. When another center gets drafted by the Orlando Magic and also tries to call himself Super Man, that's just gay. Now please stop, you're making me lose respect for Dwight Howard altogether.

You lost me right there.

1. Defense is just as, if not more important than offense, just ask all of the Bill Russell supporters out there... It's what seperates the elite like Kobe Bryant from other regular star SGs like Brandon Roy and Joe Johnson.

2. Shaq was playing with Penny (in his best years), a Kobe Bryant who was avging 25-30ppg and a Wade who carried them throughout the Finals so he could win his 4th, put Dwight on those teams and they still win rings easy (maybe even more because Dwight doesn't have that ego problem Shaq did with Kobe).

3. Smits, Mutombo and whoever the nets had in the middle that year can't be compared to Dwight trying to stop Shaq, Dwight's actually built solid at 275lbs, not a scrawny 230lbs. Mutombo may be an elite defender back in his day, but he can't matchup with Shaq, the weight difference ended that easily.

4. Shaq was the original Superman and Dwight admitted it, he even said that he doesn't care and people could call him "Superman #2" from now on. He didn't want the nickname, the media gave it to him and he tried to drop it by creating his own nickname (Black Magic), but it never stuck and he couldn't shake the Superman thing.

5. Dwight's still young, he's only 24, Shaq didn't win anything until he was 28, get back at me after the 2013-14 season if Dwight doesn't have a ring by then.

Jaji
02-22-2010, 02:51 PM
^^ Apparently someone doesn't know what LOL means and/or what sarcasm is but anyway... If you think Dwight Howard will go down as better than Shaq then that's your opinion. Just understand that by saying that you're saying that Dwight Howard will be one of the top 5 centers of all time. He's good, but I don't think he's that good.

Just one more thing: if Dwight Howard didn't want people to call him Super Man, maybe he shouldn't have worn a Super Man cape at the dunk contest. You think that had anything to do with it?

Raph12
02-22-2010, 02:56 PM
^^ Apparently someone doesn't know what LOL means and/or what sarcasm is but anyway... If you think Dwight Howard will go down as better than Shaq then that's your opinion. Just understand that by saying that you're saying that Dwight Howard will be one of the top 5 centers of all time. He's good, but I don't think he's that good.

Just one more thing: if Dwight Howard didn't want people to call him Super Man, maybe he shouldn't have worn a Super Man cape at the dunk contest. You think that had anything to do with it?

I didn't pick up on the sarcasm lol.

And no I don't, I think he can get an MVP or 2, a couple of rings (2-3) and a bunch of DPOY awards. No one was as much as a dominant force as Shaq on offense, I just think if Dwight plays with a mission to try to be the best he can be, he can crack the Top 5 list, not be the G(center)OAT.

That was after the name was popular and Shaq didn't show any hate towards it before or even after that. SVG called Shaq out when he flopped and that really got this rivalry going.

iggypop123
02-22-2010, 03:10 PM
still gotta give shaq credit. he held his own as a 37 yr old. wasnt quite like the dream raping robinson but close

RadiantShot
02-22-2010, 05:33 PM
^
Raph is getting ready to own you.

SteveNash
02-22-2010, 06:29 PM
Laughing at your life?... Yeah I think it's pretty funny as well.

Laughing at your ridiculous statements.

I hope your not saying D12 destroys Yao. Ok look, D12 ceiling is way higher but everytime they play another, Yao dominates. D12 is lucky if he gets a double double.

I'm saying Shaq and Yao both destroy Dwight.

He played single coverage on him whenever Jamison was in the game. And in this season, since he's been the anchor on offense, he's owned everybody, there doesn't seem to be a guy in the league who could keep up with Dwight on either end.

Pretty sure they did double Shaq off the ball when Jamison was in the game. And even if they didn't, they still did it when Jamison was not on the court making Dwight all the more pathetic.

You lost me right there.

1. Defense is just as, if not more important than offense, just ask all of the Bill Russell supporters out there... It's what seperates the elite like Kobe Bryant from other regular star SGs like Brandon Roy and Joe Johnson.

People thought AI was elite and he never played any defense. I'm not even going to get into the rest.

2. Shaq was playing with Penny (in his best years), a Kobe Bryant who was avging 25-30ppg and a Wade who carried them throughout the Finals so he could win his 4th, put Dwight on those teams and they still win rings easy (maybe even more because Dwight doesn't have that ego problem Shaq did with Kobe).

Dwight would likely pout about not getting enough touches like he did last season.

3. Smits, Mutombo and whoever the nets had in the middle that year can't be compared to Dwight trying to stop Shaq, Dwight's actually built solid at 275lbs, not a scrawny 230lbs. Mutombo may be an elite defender back in his day, but he can't matchup with Shaq, the weight difference ended that easily.

Mutombo actually played Shaq fairly well, it's just that Shaq was an unstoppable force and Mutombo didn't have the luxury of getting all the double team help like Dwight did.

4. Shaq was the original Superman and Dwight admitted it, he even said that he doesn't care and people could call him "Superman #2" from now on. He didn't want the nickname, the media gave it to him and he tried to drop it by creating his own nickname (Black Magic), but it never stuck and he couldn't shake the Superman thing.

Dwight Howard attempting to drop the Superman nickname:
http://imgur.com/znxEa.jpg

5. Dwight's still young, he's only 24, Shaq didn't win anything until he was 28, get back at me after the 2013-14 season if Dwight doesn't have a ring by then.

First Dwight has to prove he's a better center than PF Pau Gasol.

RadiantShot
02-22-2010, 10:31 PM

Pretty sure they did double Shaq off the ball when Jamison was in the game. And even if they didn't, they still did it when Jamison was not on the court making Dwight all the more pathetic.

People thought AI was elite and he never played any defense. I'm not even going to get into the rest.

Dwight would likely pout about not getting enough touches like he did last season.

Mutombo actually played Shaq fairly well, it's just that Shaq was an unstoppable force and Mutombo didn't have the luxury of getting all the double team help like Dwight did.

Your hatred for Dwight Howard is beyond belief, ANYONE could prove almost ALL of these points invalid. It's just an idiot post, plain and simple. Weren't you the one who mentioned that you don't watch basketball? What are you doing talking about it?

Raph12
02-23-2010, 12:41 AM

Enlighten me.

Not anymore, Yao's rotting in Houston and when he returns next year he'll be that much more garbage. He's done and Dwight will prove it when they play them next season.

No they didn't, when Jamison was in, Dwight played Shaq one-on-one. When he wasn't on the court, they made Hickson and Varejao try to step up and take jumpers, which paid divedends. It's called strategy, if you're going to put a non-factor on the court on offense, then teams will take advantage of it. Only an idiot like you would want to continue to play single coverage.

AI was elite because he set scoring records and he was 5'10" (actual height), he was elite because he led a team with no offensive talent to the NBA Finals and took a W off of an undefeated prime Lakers team. Defense is a category that seperates great players from HOF players, AI is the exception, not the rule.

Shaq got 20+fga per game and 10+fta per game, Dwight would be fine with 12fga and 10fta, giving Kobe more room to grow as a player as well. Dwight would win more than 3 titles if he was in Shaq's shoes in LA and he would do what it takes to make it work with Kobe in order to keep their dominant reign alive.

Fairly well? Are you crazy?!?!... Shaq avged 33ppg-15.8rpg-4.8apg on 57.3FG%

If anything, Mutombo helped stamp Shaq's name into the history books for one of the greatest Finals performances of all time.

"Ignorance is bliss"... When you aren't a douche just doing it to be annoying. That was before Shaq made it known that he had an issue with it.

You just lost all credibility... It's like I said in the other thread:

You're officially the biggest Magic hater on PSD. You're ignorant and your basketball knowledge goes about as far as the length of your shaft, which ain't saying much... I'm done talking to you.

Hotone1401
02-23-2010, 03:01 AM
Shaq in his prime was the most unstoppable man on this planet and he would have destroyed Dwight on the block. Shaq before his prime was almost as athletic as Dwight and he had many more "basketball" skills. I can still remember instances of Shaq running the fastbreak. He may not have been as flashy with blocks as Dwight but his physical presence in the lane had to be accounted for.

CowboysKB24
02-23-2010, 03:07 AM
It has nothing to do with Stan. Yeah Shaq hates him too, but Shaq is just immature sometimes. Dwight is way better than Shaq right now and is the new Superman. Shaq can't handle it that his career is over. Dwight took the Magic further than Shaq ever did. Dwight is probably even more liked by the fans than Shaq now too.