PDA

View Full Version : Why Don't Most Players/Teams Do This?

JNA17
02-21-2010, 03:13 AM
I'll Use the Heat as an example.

When Free Agency comes and D-Wade becomes a FA, why don't the heat (once again heat are used as an example, so when i say heat i mean other teams as well) just wait and try to sign lebron and bosh to 2 max deals since they can, and then when they signed both of them, then just wade for his max since they got his bird rights and he was on the heat which allows them to go over the cap a bit, etc etc. So that they can have a team of

PG: Mario Chalmers
SG: D-Wade
SF: Lebron James
PF: Chris Bosh
C: Jermaine O'Neal (assuming he resigns for a vet min or mle or something)

Why not just work it like that so that you basically guarantee the type of team your star player would come too.

SteveNash
02-21-2010, 03:18 AM
Because Wade is counted as $24 million until they sign him or renounce his rights, making it so they can't go over the salary cap to re-sign him.

Hawkeye15
02-21-2010, 03:22 AM
exactly right. they would have to make a handshake deal, and we all know how that turned out for Joe Smith and the Wolves

Fireworld
02-21-2010, 03:22 AM
Because Wade is counted as $24 million until they sign him or renounce his rights, making it so they can't go over the salary cap to re-sign him.

^^ This.

_KB24_
02-21-2010, 03:30 AM
Because the game of basketball consists of only one ball.

JNA17
02-21-2010, 03:57 AM

I'm confused. How is wade exactly counted as $24 million even if he declines his player option and chose to go into FA and waits for the heat to get the 2 players?

JNA17
02-21-2010, 03:57 AM

i thought 2? :p

Hellcrooner
02-21-2010, 04:08 AM
Cap Holds

Hellcrooner
02-21-2010, 04:09 AM
what i really wonder if is Knicks woudl be charged with Tamper if a resurrected T-MAC sigend back for 1 year Minimum to allow them to siggn two max players to join them and then extender hi mfro real te folowing season.

NYK_kidd77
02-21-2010, 04:14 AM
what i really wonder if is Knicks woudl be charged with Tamper if a resurrected T-MAC sigend back for 1 year Minimum to allow them to siggn two max players to join them and then extender hi mfro real te folowing season.

How would that lead to tampering charges?

abe_froman
02-21-2010, 04:14 AM

no they wouldnt

Chronz
02-21-2010, 04:26 AM
I'm confused. How is wade exactly counted as $24 million even if he declines his player option and chose to go into FA and waits for the heat to get the 2 players?

Its called a CAP Hold

Chronz
02-21-2010, 04:27 AM
I never understood how Minny got caught for doing that but so long as everyone keeps their mouth shut there is nothing they can do.

Hellcrooner
02-21-2010, 04:33 AM
I never understood how Minny got caught for doing that but so long as everyone keeps their mouth shut there is nothing they can do.

apparently They were stupid enough to have it WRITTEN on paper....

ldc62
02-21-2010, 05:04 AM
I'm pretty sure you have to resign your own guys first.

Source: Thats what I have to do in NBA2k10

KH12
02-21-2010, 05:09 AM

The Knicks would have to renounce his bird rights first, then sign the max FAs, and then he could sign for the minimum. I don't believe there's anything against that. He wouldn't have any bird rights though the next summer.

Hellcrooner
02-21-2010, 10:29 AM
The Knicks would have to renounce his bird rights first, then sign the max FAs, and then he could sign for the minimum. I don't believe there's anything against that. He wouldn't have any bird rights though the next summer.
on the contrary he woudl ahve to sin first for the minimum in order to keep the bid rights and then they would sign the others.

arkanian215
02-21-2010, 10:38 AM
I'll Use the Heat as an example.

When Free Agency comes and D-Wade becomes a FA, why don't the heat (once again heat are used as an example, so when i say heat i mean other teams as well) just wait and try to sign lebron and bosh to 2 max deals since they can, and then when they signed both of them, then just wade for his max since they got his bird rights and he was on the heat which allows them to go over the cap a bit, etc etc. So that they can have a team of

PG: Mario Chalmers
SG: D-Wade
SF: Lebron James
PF: Chris Bosh
C: Jermaine O'Neal (assuming he resigns for a vet min or mle or something)

Why not just work it like that so that you basically guarantee the type of team your star player would come too.

31. Why do free agents continue to count against a team's cap?

It closes another loophole. Teams otherwise would be able to sign other teams' free agents using their cap room, and then turn their attention to their own free agents using the Bird exceptions. This rule restricts their ability to do that. It doesn't close this loophole completely -- for example, in 2005 Michael Redd's free agent amount was $6 million, even though the Bucks intended to re-sign him for the maximum salary. By waiting to sign Redd last, the Bucks were able to take advantage of the difference by signing Bobby Simmons. Had they signed Redd first, they would have had no cap room to sign Simmons.
32. When do free agents stop counting against the team's cap?

When any one of the following three things happen:

* The player signs a new contract with the same team. When this happens, the player's effect on his team's team salary is based on his new salary.
* The player signs with a different team. As soon as this happens, the player becomes the new team's problem, and his salary no longer counts against his old team.
* The team renounces the player. (See question number 33)

33. What does renouncing a player mean?

As detailed in question number 30, free agents continue to be included in team salary. By renouncing a player, a team gives up its right to use the Larry Bird, Early Bird, or Non-Bird exceptions (see question number 19) to re-sign that player. A renounced player no longer counts toward team salary, so teams use renouncement to gain additional cap room. After renouncing a player, the team is still permitted to re-sign that player, but must either have enough cap room to fit the salary, or sign the player using the Minimum Salary exception. The exception to this is an Early Bird free agent who is coming off the second season of his rookie scale contract. Such players, when renounced, are treated as Non-Bird free agents.

If the player does not sign with any team (his prior team or any other team) for the entire season, then his renouncement continues. In other words, the team is not permitted to renounce a player, let him lie idle for the year, then re-sign him the following summer using Bird rights. However, if the player re-signs with his prior team, then his renouncement is no longer in effect when his contract ends. For example, if a team renounces their Larry Bird rights to a player, then re-signs that player to a one-year contract using cap room, then the player is once again a Larry Bird free agent the following summer.

After renouncing a player, a team can still trade the player in a sign-and-trade agreement (see question number 78).
http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#Q31

This is probably the best site to learn about the salary cap and all the rules.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
02-21-2010, 11:34 AM
it isn't allowed

I actually found out it just couple days ago lol

close thread

dtmagnet
02-21-2010, 12:39 PM
Because you need to understand the rules of the salary cap before you make threads like this.

td0tsfinest
02-21-2010, 01:14 PM

lol.

btw, that quote in your sig is hilarious.