PDA

View Full Version : Ego.... a good or a bad thing.

Swashcuff
02-20-2010, 09:03 PM
Is a player having a BIG Ego a good thing or a bad thing. Great players like MJ, Shaq, Wilt etc have all been said to have HUGE Egos and IMO it has made them better players.

The on the other hand players like Sebastian Telfair, Kwame Brown and Damon Jones are also said to have big egos and we all see what is there current status.

Is it a good thing and bad thing or both?

ManRam
02-20-2010, 09:07 PM
Biggest ego of all time=Jordan.

Jordan=greatest of all time.

I think that says it all.

RadiantShot
02-20-2010, 09:34 PM
Both.
They're good for the 'competitive' aspect of basketball, but they can easily get annoying. It's good to balance it out, and back it up.

BTownTeamsRKing
02-20-2010, 09:39 PM
kind of obivous. its both. to be the best, u have to believe you are the best. at the same time, u cant believe u are so much better than everyone on your team that u dont trust anyone.

Sox Appeal
02-20-2010, 11:50 PM
both.
They're good for the 'competitive' aspect of basketball, but they can easily get annoying. It's good to balance it out, and back it up.

+1

iggypop123
02-21-2010, 12:21 AM
its good to have it but people will call out players who have too much of it. one example: paul pierce. he is the greatest of anything to do with the nba if you ask him

Swashcuff
02-21-2010, 01:08 AM
its good to have it but people will call out players who have too much of it. one example: paul pierce. he is the greatest of anything to do with the nba if you ask him

:nod::nod::nod:

kswissdaf
02-21-2010, 01:29 AM
Def a good thing. Ego=Confidence Confidence=success

shep33
02-21-2010, 01:34 AM
I think you have to have it to be "that guy" who knocks down game winners and leads your team when everyone else sucks. Jordan had a huge ego, but having an ego isn't necessarily a negative trait. Players like MJ and Kobe arguably the 2 biggest ego's are possibly gonna go down as the 2 greast shooting guards ever. Kobe's ego somehow got the Lakers into the playoffs those 2 years, cause really that was one of the worst team i'd ever seen ever make the playoffs. Their starters were the following:

Smush Parker
Kobe
Luke Walton
Lamar Odom
Kwame Brown

And really, his ego made them compete every night. So I think ego plays a huge role in determining the greatest players of all time... MJ, Magic, Bird, Kobe, Olajuwan, Shaq, etc.

Raoul Duke
02-21-2010, 01:57 AM
As stated above, an ego is necessary to be "the man". In order for a guy to be the best player on the floor, he has to believe that he's the best player on the floor, no matter who else is out there. That's why I can't hate on guys like Paul Pierce. On any given night, a guy like that can outplay anybody in the NBA.

I've never met any professional basketball players, but I imagine that same attitude makes a lot of them act like douchebags.

Raph12
02-21-2010, 02:00 AM
Both... there is a fine line between confidence and arrogance.

JKiddFan4Life
02-21-2010, 01:37 PM
Def a good thing. Ego=Confidence Confidence=success
I agree that confidence = success, but there's a big difference between confidence and ego. An ego typically only leads to individual successes, team success requires less ego and more teamwork combined with self-confidence. You can be self-confident without letting your successes go to your head.