PDA

View Full Version : The lottery should not exist

celtisox41
02-20-2010, 04:05 PM
Im a little biased, because of it the celtics lost out on duncan and durant. Still it is a stupid part of the game, you could be the 15th worst team in the league (which puts you directly in the middle) and still get 1st overall. It keeps bad teams from getting better, helps mid range teams get better, and good teams that had a down year get even better. Thoughts?

Meth
02-20-2010, 04:07 PM
The lottery disables teams from purposely losing games inorder to obtain #1 draft picks.

celtisox41
02-20-2010, 04:09 PM
The lottery disables teams from purposely losing games inorder to obtain #1 draft picks.

its a good idea but other sports haven't had that problem so its kind of pointless

DaoudS
02-20-2010, 04:11 PM
its a good idea but other sports haven't had that problem so its kind of pointless

other sports usually also require players to spend a significant amount of time in the minors, or in college. NBA is probably the only exception where a kid in his senior year is likely as good as an 8 year veteran.

abe_froman
02-20-2010, 04:13 PM
and encourages teams to tank,sure your a playoff team but lebron or for this year wall is sure fire hot ticket so why try to win when you can try to lose

but like you said your biased and miffed that you guys didnt win in the past,so i understand where your coming from.but its just not the right solution and good for the league and other fanbases

GodsSon
02-20-2010, 04:14 PM
They should adopt the system the NHL uses...any team in the lottery can't jump up more than 4 spots so only the top 5 teams have a chance at the 1st pick...with that said, the lottery system is better, just needs perfecting

abe_froman
02-20-2010, 04:17 PM

other sports its harder to project a guys career on draft night.in nba its easy..well easiest of all the major sports to tell,even before stepping on the court what a player is going to be.everyone knew that guys like hakeem,ewing,lebron,timmy were future hofers

reuben4boston
02-20-2010, 04:28 PM
other sports its harder to project a guys career on draft night.in nba its easy..well easiest of all the major sports to tell,even before stepping on the court what a player is going to be.everyone knew that guys like hakeem,ewing,lebron,timmy were future hofers

and to counteract those guys theres kwame brown, Darko milicic, the kandy man, and Ed O'Bannon, who all at the time were considered good picks at the time of their drafting. Now looking back they werent great, but at the time they were building blocks that were considered great prospects.

The NBA is still a crapshoot, just like the rest of them. Even JJ Reddick and Adam MOrrison looked good at the time of their drafting, and now they are considered "busts" as well.

Bucsfan
02-20-2010, 04:35 PM
I see your point and understand the frustration, there have been times i almost thought the lottery was fixed....like in the 98-99 season ( i think) when MJ left the bulls, rodman left and so did pippen and kukoc was the main key the bulls won the lottery, i know they had a horrible year in the shortened season, but it was almost too much of a coincidence for me to believe that all those players leave and they just happen to get the #1 pick....too bad they picked elton brand ....

but hey im loving it this year, i know the knicks wont be the worst team in the league but the chances of getting a top 5 pick improve by the day :)

magichatnumber9
02-20-2010, 04:35 PM
The lottery only sucks when your team is in the top 5. Other then that it's a thrill.

abe_froman
02-20-2010, 04:38 PM
and to counteract those guys theres kwame brown, Darko milicic, the kandy man, and Ed O'Bannon, who all at the time were considered good picks at the time of their drafting. Now looking back they werent great, but at the time they were building blocks that were considered great prospects.

The NBA is still a crapshoot, just like the rest of them. Even JJ Reddick and Adam MOrrison looked good at the time of their drafting, and now they are considered "busts" as well.

i didnt say there werent stupid gms,but most blasted those picks even on draft night(except the dumb gm's that made the picks),also if you go back through the history of number 1 picks becoming legends overwhelmingly out weigh the busts.the reason why those are highlighted(and why its also the same handful thats cited every time) is because its an anomaly and not something that happens with any regularity.

jj was a late lotto pick,because teams were scared he was a "college player",hardly as bust..he wasnt taken anywhere near top of the draft(top 5 pick)

also how is he bad pick at 11?

Draco
02-20-2010, 04:49 PM
They should adopt the system the NHL uses...any team in the lottery can't jump up more than 4 spots so only the top 5 teams have a chance at the 1st pick...with that said, the lottery system is better, just needs perfecting

I don't think teams at the bottom quarter of the lottery jumping into the top 4 spots is much of a problem. Teams with the 10th through 14th worst record had less than a 1.5% chance to win the lotto.

Jerry West complained that the team with the worst record only had a 25% chance to win the lotto.. I might be more sympathetic to increasing the 25% chance than reducing the 1.5% chance..

Actually, I think the league has bigger problems to worry about than the lotto format.. concentrate on the CBA.

Kingz4L
02-20-2010, 04:50 PM
I agree...sometimes though you never know what you'll get with the 4th overall pick ;-)

But in fairness they need to do something about it...like give the five worst teams the top five picks then have the lottery from 6-13

JerseysFinest
02-20-2010, 04:54 PM
i'm a nets fan and i wish they change the lottery

celtisox41
02-21-2010, 01:42 PM

It is now but before when high schoolers could be drafted it was much harder

Famous6
02-21-2010, 01:49 PM
i agree, have the 5 worst teams get the top 5 picks and then do the lottery from 6-14

elizur
02-21-2010, 01:55 PM
i agree, have the 5 worst teams get the top 5 picks and then do the lottery from 6-14

That then still leaves the problem of teams tanking, like the Nets are.

elizur
02-21-2010, 02:01 PM
Im a little biased, because of it the celtics lost out on duncan and durant. Still it is a stupid part of the game, you could be the 15th worst team in the league (which puts you directly in the middle) and still get 1st overall. It keeps bad teams from getting better, helps mid range teams get better, and good teams that had a down year get even better. Thoughts?

Only once has the best non-playoff team won the lottery.

Katspinal1313
02-21-2010, 02:09 PM
Only once has the best non-playoff team won the lottery.

And wasnt that when the Spurs got Duncan? Im not sure if they were the best but they were one hell of a team. Robinson had been hurt and then the next years they have the twin towers and Timmy D, "The big fundamental" arguably one of the best players of the last decade.

masalex1205
02-21-2010, 02:16 PM

+1

I'd like to see maybe the worst 5-8 teams get into a lottery and the rest just get put in order that they finished.

Would prevent teams from tanking and still disperse the best available players to the worst teams. CHicago getting the #1 and Rose was ridiculous.

masalex1205
02-21-2010, 02:17 PM
That then still leaves the problem of teams tanking, like the Nets are.

I think if you did maybe the worst 7 in a lottery that would prevent that. BUt still, if an organization wants to suck and alienate their fans just at the chance of getting a draft pick then let them.

effen5
02-21-2010, 02:27 PM
You know what they should do, and this would stop teams from ****in tanking the season. Give the number 1 pick to the best team that didn't make the playoffs. That way everyone is competing at the end of the season, and theres no tanking like the Celtics did couple years back and then go from there, the #2 pick would go to the second best team, #3 to the third best team etc...

kozelkid
02-21-2010, 02:58 PM
I think Chronz mentioned an idea I really liked. Let teams play an x number of games, then freeze the records. That way, it will be much harder for teams to tank because everyteam looks to start off well from the beginning.
I love the lottery though. Brings excitement. Plus that's how we got ROSE!!! :D

BradyIsTheMan12
02-21-2010, 03:39 PM
The lottery can be frustrating but I like the concept. It doesn't really keep teams from tanking but at the least it doesn't always reward those teams for tanking.

arkanian215
02-21-2010, 03:45 PM
I find it weird that the top lotto spot has a better chance of landing the fourth pick rather than the first.

gbpackers12
02-21-2010, 03:54 PM
I have a hard time taking either side on this subject. On one hand, i like how the lottery keeps teams from tanking, and it adds suspense and excitement. But on the other hand, the Nets are ****ing terrible, and if they don't get the first overall pick it's a robbery.

heathonater
02-21-2010, 05:12 PM
like someone said earlier, they should only make the top 5(worst teams) in the nba eligible for the first pick. this still prevents teams from tanking on purpose while teams that really need that first pick will have a chance at it.

td0tsfinest
02-21-2010, 05:21 PM
Man you should be happy the Celtics didn't get 1 or 2 in the 07 draft. You guys won a freakin championship that year. People always have argue about something.

koreancabbage
02-21-2010, 06:28 PM
I find it weird that the top lotto spot has a better chance of landing the fourth pick rather than the first.

well considering that there is a greater chance for them not to get the #1 spot --> 75% chance another team will win the lottery lol

mser58
02-21-2010, 06:38 PM
no

elizur
02-21-2010, 06:51 PM
I have a hard time taking either side on this subject. On one hand, i like how the lottery keeps teams from tanking, and it adds suspense and excitement. But on the other hand, the Nets are ****ing terrible, and if they don't get the first overall pick it's a robbery.

See, that is the problem. The lottery does not keep teams from tanking. The Nets are tanking. I am a fan of the lottery though. I do not think that their should be a normal draft. Plus, thats how we got Ewing.

reuben4boston
02-21-2010, 06:51 PM
i didnt say there werent stupid gms,but most blasted those picks even on draft night(except the dumb gm's that made the picks),also if you go back through the history of number 1 picks becoming legends overwhelmingly out weigh the busts.the reason why those are highlighted(and why its also the same handful thats cited every time) is because its an anomaly and not something that happens with any regularity.

jj was a late lotto pick,because teams were scared he was a "college player",hardly as bust..he wasnt taken anywhere near top of the draft(top 5 pick)

also how is he bad pick at 11?

Nobody blasted most of those picks when they happened. your blasting them now after they didnt pan out, but most of those picks were consensus correctly.

and the reason i used those handful of names was because they are the easiest off the top of my head. theres a great list right here http://thehoopsreport.com/article.aspx?id=111

heres different reasoning : http://thehoopdoctors.com/online2/2009/07/top-10-biggest-nba-draft-busts/

and also here http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/The-top-10-lottery-busts-of-the-last-decade?urn=nba,184973

And he is bad at 11 because he was a one dimensional shooter who has had minimal success.

elizur
02-21-2010, 06:54 PM
I think if you did maybe the worst 7 in a lottery that would prevent that. BUt still, if an organization wants to suck and alienate their fans just at the chance of getting a draft pick then let them.

That is fair. I would be open to limiting the number of teams that can be in the lottery.

elizur
02-21-2010, 06:55 PM
You know what they should do, and this would stop teams from ****in tanking the season. Give the number 1 pick to the best team that didn't make the playoffs. That way everyone is competing at the end of the season, and theres no tanking like the Celtics did couple years back and then go from there, the #2 pick would go to the second best team, #3 to the third best team etc...

That would be terrible. Some teams just are not good enough to finish the best/worst team. And those teams really need the picks.

save the knicks
02-21-2010, 07:02 PM
Allow teams to sign prospects at 18 years old to a d league squad

Expand the d league

FarOutIos
02-21-2010, 07:03 PM
I agree with all the posters who think their should be fewer teams in the lottery. I think 6 is good... and still a slightly weighted draft. Not as weighted, though, so it decreases a teams temptation to throw games.

As far as the draft and losing being a problem in other drafts... I think we must look at individual sports to determine. The MLB draft seems to be more of a crap shoot, as the players are usually years away from getting to the big league.

The NFL draft is really the only one we can compare. In the NFL there actually could be a degree of tanking going on, but there are so few games. So if there is any tanking, it will probably come down do the last game of the season. By that time, most of the draft order is already set.

And because most NFL teams seem to draft based on team needs, it usually turns out that there is no player who stands out enough to warrant tanking. Who would a team tank for... Maybe Eli Manning a few years ago. This year, there is no clear pick that is so much better to cause a team to tank. Unless their is a QB that is clearly the best option at the position, and the worst two teams both desperately need a QB, I don't see it happening much.

So instead of tanking and possibly losing fans for the few games that are left in a season, I don't think that NFL teams tank... but then again, if they really suck, how do we know that they aren't tanking. Maybe the Raiders have been tanking?...

I also think that the fact that the salaries are so high for NFL picks affects the draft as well. A #1 pick is as much a guarantee to be a great player in the NFL as the NBA. So the high salary that an NFL player gets as the #1 pick is more of a gamble. Thus, more teams probably want to win to avoid the financial debt they will incur.

ChongInc.
02-21-2010, 07:10 PM
It's just a way for the league to control who gets the marquee players. There is no draft in the draft.

PurpleJesus
02-21-2010, 07:12 PM
Bad teams should not be awarded with the best pick. Im glad there is a lottery that can screw bad teams over because I think it would be stupid for a team like the Nets this year to get John Wall for being the worst team in the league...its like saying congratulations, you are the worst team in the league, here is a franchise player for sucking so bad.

PurpleJesus
02-21-2010, 07:14 PM
Allow teams to sign prospects at 18 years old to a d league squad

Expand the d league

I would love an expanded D-League...besides signing 18 year olds, another good way to expand the D-League would be to expand the draft to 3 rounds. If there were a competitive D-league, I could see less busts like Kwame Brown or Jonathan Bender.

Sly Guy
02-21-2010, 08:39 PM

I distinctly remember the ottawa senators doing this to get the #1 years ago.

TopsyTurvy
02-21-2010, 08:41 PM
The lottery is necessary because of guaranteed rookie contracts. Without interjecting a certain amount of randomness to the draft, teams would be able to abuse their cap numbers more than they already do.

DLeeicious
02-21-2010, 09:22 PM
Bulls fans love the system as it is! In reality though I like it how it is, it somewhat keeps teams from tanking when it's not a sure thing for them.

OREcoast49er
02-22-2010, 12:27 AM
I think you need some sort of lottery. Yes they should improve on it, but its necessary. Unlike other sports, NFL & MLB, in the NBA one player can basically turn around a franchise. So if you tank and get Lebron James, well now you have a perennial powerhouse real quick. They need to make an adjustment for sure. But Im not really one to say anything anyway, I think its fixed anyway. I hate Stern.