PDA

View Full Version : Where Will Big Z Go?

JasonJohnHorn
02-20-2010, 09:11 AM
I know Doc Rivers and Jackson have already whined about the Big Z trade-re-sign scenario, but the bottom line is this. He hasn't even been bought out yet, and even if he is, he has some serious options.

While many assume he will just go back to the Cavs, there will be a back log in the front court there with Shaq, Jamison, Anderson and Hickson, and there will be some other teams that will be calling up Big Z's agent should he be bought out.

The Spurs could go from sputtering former champs to legit contender with a guy like Big Z in the middle. He would represent for them the best center they'd had on their team since David Robinson in 1999, and I say Robinson in 1999 because the David Robinson in 2003 was not the same HOF David Robinson that won his first title. His numbers were much more humble in 2003, and neither Nazr Mohamed or Rasho Nesterovic (the two centers they won with in 2005 and 2007) are as good as Big Z. Center is the Spurs only whole, their wing is deep, and they have McDyess ready to back up Big Z and Blair to back up Duncan, they Spurs would be a huge threat if Big Z signed with them.

Likewise the Mavs would see the best center that has played there since Mark Cuban bought the team and with the moves Dallas made at the trade deadline, the Mavs could find themselves a legit threat to LA (though I'd still pick LA myself).

The Trailblazers, who picked up Camby, could also use another center to steady them until the end of the season and would do well by picking up Big Z, and though he may not improve them as much as he would improve the Spurs, he would give them some offensive potency in the paint and on the high pick-and-roll which they haven't had even when their center roation was healthy.

Boston of course could use some dpeth at center, and though Big Z wouldnt play as big a role in Boston as he would on other contenders, I think Big Z could have a big enough impact to tip the scale in the east and make the playoffs interesting.

I would most like to see him in a Spurs uniform, and for once would like to see a player do something other than re-sign with the team that traded him.

Thoughts? Could a change of Big Z's destination really change the playoff picture and influence who wins it this year?

JasonJohnHorn
02-20-2010, 09:51 AM
Dude this is a great thread? I wonder why nobody had responded? Wait a minute. Am i talking to myself?

cheezinmypocket
02-20-2010, 10:04 AM
Dude this is a great thread? I wonder why nobody had responded? Wait a minute. Am i talking to myself?

Haha... you're talking to yourself because its not 9am yet on a Saturday morning.

Good point though. I thought that Big Z would have been bought out almost immediately. Or is there a waiting period before that can take place? Or are they still negotiating the details?

If he does get bought out I'd be shocked to see him head anywhere but back to Cleveland. The guy has been there forever and will head back home instead of starting fresh with a new group of players.

CrotchetyOldMan
02-20-2010, 10:23 AM
This is all just wishful thinking...When Z negotiates the buyout he's going back to the Cavs...He's played there his whole career and has the best chance to win a championship by going back there...I doubt that at this point in his career he has any interest in learning a new system with new teammates and coach...I do agree that he would significantly help some teams in the West become more legit contenders because he's shown he can frustrate the Lakers on D...I just don't see any way he would eschew going back to his hometown team that's taken care of him his whole career and now is in great position to win a championship especially when he returns...

atlantahawk49er
02-20-2010, 10:35 AM
The hawks need to get Z....let horford be a beast at the 4,josh at the 3(dominating),and a bench including marvin and jamal of the bench.....even if u dont like the hawks this has to sound good to u....

cheezinmypocket
02-20-2010, 10:46 AM
Its a no brainer for everyone but Z. Why would he want to go there?

JasonJohnHorn
02-20-2010, 10:46 AM
The hawks need to get Z....let horford be a beast at the 4,josh at the 3(dominating),and a bench including marvin and jamal of the bench.....even if u dont like the hawks this has to sound good to u....

That would be a pretty sick line-up, with Pochullia, Crawford, and Joe Smith coming off the bench. They'd out rebound about anybody in the league, and all the need is a decent back PG.

Tribe
02-20-2010, 11:02 AM
Zydrunas not returning to Cleveland will hurt the cavs big time...In the end I think he will be back but he did state he was upset but understood the business side. He also kind of gave mixed signals stating cleveland is his home and where his heart is but he would do what is best for his family. So once thought a lock to return to cleveland he could very well go elsewhere but would probably have to be blown away cash wise not to return. Cleveland does give him the BEST chance to win and for someone undecided on playing next year that should play a big part in his decision

-Kobe24-TJ19-
02-20-2010, 11:08 AM
no brainer, cavs

69centers
02-20-2010, 11:49 AM
This is all just wishful thinking...When Z negotiates the buyout he's going back to the Cavs...He's played there his whole career and has the best chance to win a championship by going back there...I doubt that at this point in his career he has any interest in learning a new system with new teammates and coach...I do agree that he would significantly help some teams in the West become more legit contenders because he's shown he can frustrate the Lakers on D...I just don't see any way he would eschew going back to his hometown team that's taken care of him his whole career and now is in great position to win a championship especially when he returns...

I know, because they've proven they have won so many before. Being first in the regular season means squat, so there is no guarantee he wins with Cleveland.

Jaji
02-20-2010, 11:51 AM
He never even cleaned out his locker.

akay47
02-20-2010, 12:01 PM
He never even cleaned out his locker.

for reaaaaal? any link to this?

Jaji
02-20-2010, 12:21 PM

Nah, just my prediction. It seems pretty obvious though. Where else would he go? He may retire after this year (http://nba.fanhouse.com/2009/10/07/ilgauskas-may-retire-after-this-season/) (there's a link for ya ;)) and he's spent his whole career there. Do you think he'd wanna play somewhere else for half a season and then retire when he has a chance to rejoin the Cavs? Not only that, but Cleveland has a good chance of winning it all this year, and you know he would like to be a part of that.

CAVS21
02-20-2010, 12:28 PM
I know, because they've proven they have won so many before. Being first in the regular season means squat, so there is no guarantee he wins with Cleveland.

Oh yeah I forgot that the current Celts squad has won soooooooo many rings oh wait.....it was ONE....

Z's coming back to Cleveland get over it. Boston just wishes he goes elsewhere so they don't see an even deeper Cavs team in the Playoffs:facepalm:

JasonJohnHorn
02-20-2010, 12:40 PM
Oh yeah I forgot that the current Celts squad has won soooooooo many rings oh wait.....it was ONE....

Z's coming back to Cleveland get over it. Boston just wishes he goes elsewhere so they don't see an even deeper Cavs team in the Playoffs:facepalm:

Well... one is more than zero ;)

I'm sure you are right though, Z will likely return home (if he is bought out), but I still think it would interesting to consider how things would be shaken up in the league if Big Z decided to play somewhere else.

The Cavs, in my opinion, and we can agree on this I'm sure, do look like they are ready to win, but they also looked like they were ready to win last year, most especially after they went 8-0 to start the playoffs. They are still undersized at shooting guard (perhaps this is why the Bobcats beat them three times? Though Charlotte didn't have Jackson for the first win, and I'm not sure any Cleveland fan really wants to see the Joe Johnson, or Kobe in the playoffs, or even a streaking Ray Allen).

If Big Z did choose to play for somebody like the Celtics, or the Spurs, and the Cavs lost to them in the playoffs, the Jamison trade would actually come back to haunt them. And the Cavs have had a bad history with under-the-table, return to Cleveland deals in the past: just ask Jim Paxon how that Boozer deal went for him.

Don't get me wrong, I like the Cavs to win it all, and I think James is the best player in the game today, but its never a lock. Just ask the Mavs (dropped best record and dropped to the Warriors) or the 95 Rockets who only had 47 wins and went on to beat the teams with the four best records in the league, including two 60-win teams (Jazz 60, Spurs 62). You just never know.

Big Quett
02-20-2010, 12:56 PM

He didnt say they will win. he said Cleveland was his BEST CHANCE

Alwaysballin247
02-20-2010, 01:18 PM
I never really thought the celtics would want him but maybe so vs some of the bigger teams.. throw him on howard some..shaq and if we got to the finals you def need height vs the lakers...

I see him going back to the cavs if not I think dallas would be a good fit

R74
02-20-2010, 01:40 PM
I agree that he goes back to Cleveland but going to San Antonio would be interesting to see.

LeBroom
02-20-2010, 01:42 PM
The Knicks should throw in a lot of $$$ for Big Z.

We have to do EVERYTHING in our power to oppress King James of that Title, so we have a better shot at signing him this off-season. Haha

TheKing23
02-20-2010, 01:50 PM
He'll be a Cav before the playoffs...

goose15
02-20-2010, 01:56 PM
Denver, Atlanta or Portland

Kakaroach
02-20-2010, 01:57 PM
I would hope he goes back to the Cavs but I guess he can decide on anywhere he wants to.

Ironman5219
02-20-2010, 02:07 PM
bring him to Utah!

Mavrix
02-20-2010, 02:16 PM
Dallas, Mark Cuban wants him and he's gonna get him.

ko8e24
02-20-2010, 02:25 PM

lol, you're looking for a link to eagerly read about how the great Zydrunas Ilgauskas has not cleaned out his locker? :eyebrow: wtf?

Anyways, Big Z is going back to the Cavs before he retires at season's end.

/thread

Bucsfan
02-20-2010, 02:31 PM
im sure he is going back to the cavs, but i think utah could use him alot, we need a big center

Raph12
02-20-2010, 02:51 PM
Cleveland, no chance he goes anywhere else IMO... Wiz said they'll try to hold onto him though.

TheKing23
02-20-2010, 03:22 PM
Dallas, Mark Cuban wants him and he's gonna get him.

Why, oh why would he go to Dallas?

I don't understand why anyone thinks he'll go anywhere but the Cavs... Not only has he spent his whole career there, his family is settled there, his heart is with the city, he's a legend in Cleveland, he has a great chemistry with LeBron, Andy, Mo, Shaq, Delonte, he won't have to adapt to a whole new system. He also has the best chance of winning in Cleveland, more so than Dallas.

He looks like he could retire after this season, so why would he got to another city for half a year where there's less chance he can win a title and then just retire?

If he rejoins the Cavs and wins a title I can see him coming back for maybe another 1-2 years... He won't go anywhere else. He was loyal to us for 13 years, why would he stab us in the back and re-sign somewhere else when he gets bought out?

Montana_Rob
02-20-2010, 03:25 PM
Coming over to the LAKE SHOW to add another big man to the lakers bench and let LO play more SF!!!

ugafan
02-20-2010, 03:31 PM
I'm not saying he's likely coming to ATL, but ATL has the most to gain from signing him.
We move Josh Smith where he belongs to the 3, Al Horford to where he belongs at the 4 and Big Z starting at 5 where we won't get outrebounded every game. In essence, we improve at small forward, power forward, center, and our bench gets stronger with Marvin Williams.

Meth
02-20-2010, 03:55 PM
lol, you're looking for a link to eagerly read about how the great zydrunas ilgauskas has not cleaned out his locker? :eyebrow: Wtf?

Anyways, big z is going back to the cavs before he retires at season's end.

/thread

+1