PDA

View Full Version : Could Charlotte vs Cleveland in the playoffs be Dallas vs Golden State in 2007?

JordansBulls
02-19-2010, 11:34 PM
Could Charlotte vs Cleveland in the playoffs be Dallas vs Golden State in 2007?

In 2007 we all know that Golden State was the worst matchup for the Mavs when the playoffs came and it showed.

Thus far this season the Cavs have won only once against the Bobcats and Bobcats have taken 3 games.

If the two met in the playoffs, could this series be like a Mavs vs Warriors in 2007?

RadiantShot
02-19-2010, 11:36 PM
Not sure. After 2 games this year with Charlotte making a statement in Cleveland's home building this year, and then tonight's game, it just might be something like that. But it wouldn't exactly be a 'Dallas vs. Golden State' sort of thing. We can see Charlotte possibly beating Cleveland if they do what they did tonight.

IAmKira
02-19-2010, 11:38 PM
I hope so!! Then Lebron will cry n ***** about not winning a chip again cuz he didnt get STAT! ;O

JordansBulls
02-19-2010, 11:40 PM
Not sure. After 2 games this year with Charlotte making a statement in Cleveland's home building this year, and then tonight's game, it just might be something like that. But it wouldn't exactly be a 'Dallas vs. Golden State' sort of thing. We can see Charlotte possibly beating Cleveland if they do what they did tonight.

They won 3 times now

Oct 31, 2009 Charlotte 79 @ Cleveland 90
Nov 27, 2009 Cleveland 87 @ Charlotte 94
Jan 3, 2010 Charlotte 91 @ Cleveland 88
Feb 19, 2010 Cleveland 93 @ Charlotte 110

http://espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/matchups

ChiSox219
02-19-2010, 11:43 PM
No.

The Bobcats might advance but the situation is completely different. Charlotte is a strong defensive team with a lot of length, quickness, and strength, they are a match up problem for a lot of teams and should end up with the 5-6 seed.

Golden State was a fast paced team with an electric crowd. Nelson had coached many of the Mavericks a couple of years earlier and intimately knew their strengths and weakness.

Cleveland played a tough game yesterday and had to travel and integrate a new player into the rotation. No one should be surprised that the Cavs struggled tonight.

The Bulls won @ Cleveland, they'd be closer to the Golden State comparison because Mo can't stop Rose and Deng will give Lebron fits.

boriquaabe
02-19-2010, 11:47 PM
I thinks so... They have a better coach. Defensively with the addition of Thoams I think they're better. They have someone that knows how to win a championship in Jackson and an emerging star in Wallace that can match up with Lebron....

B.JenningsMVP
02-19-2010, 11:52 PM
Maybe... Remember Jackson was apart of that Warrior team, and now he's on the 'Cats.. So maybeee haha.. Charlotte has some really nice pieces tho, I like what they've done.

Kingz4L
02-19-2010, 11:52 PM
I think so, the Bobcats with this trade could beat Orlando too with Tyrus and Ratliff in there...believe the hype...this team will give everyone problems...I dont think I have seen a team full of guys that can fly above the rim....there is a reason they are the best defensive team....60% of it is Larry Browns knowledge though.

TheKing23
02-19-2010, 11:54 PM
No.

The Bobcats are a scary team that match up well with us, but they have no playoff experience and we all know how important that is. If we faced them in the first round I couldn't see them beating us in a seven game series...

I am hoping they get the 6th or 7th seed so they can cause the Celtics or Magic some first round problems...

Raps18-19 Champ
02-19-2010, 11:56 PM
Not really.

Gibby23
02-19-2010, 11:56 PM
They would take it to atleast 6. They have 3 guys to throw at Lebron in Jackson, Wallace, and Thomas. If they had another scorer they could beat the Cavs.

Sports Illustrator
02-19-2010, 11:57 PM
I think it could be possible. The Bobcats' defense is pretty serious and especially now with the addition of Tyrus Thomas. I think Gerald Wallace or Stephen Jackson can do well guarding Lebron James. Of course they won't be able to completely stop him but they can do some damage for sure. The Bobcats actually matchup well against the Cavaliers.

If they had Stephen Jackson from the beginning of the season, they'd be better than a 7th seed playoff team. I imagine Tyrus Thomas will make them even a better team. He'll do a good job guarding against Antwan Jamison.

Kingz4L
02-19-2010, 11:57 PM
They dont need playoff experience...that stuff really dosnt matter because Golden State had none when they played Dallas...its all about having the right pieces...If I was Cleveland I would pray that they play ATL or Orlando..otherwise it will go 7 games....My guts are saying lebron wont let a upset happen but you never know...if they keep playing like this...look out

thedfactor
02-19-2010, 11:59 PM
You never know, but I think the Golden State team, We Believe Warriors, were more talented. Also Dallas didn't have LeBron, and Dirk disappeared in that series.

So I will say no, but I would be rooting for the Bobcats to do so in order to somewhat overshadow my Mavericks embarrassing exit in 2007.

Kingz4L
02-20-2010, 12:02 AM
You never know, but I think the Golden State team, We Believe Warriors, were more talented. Also Dallas didn't have LeBron, and Dirk disappeared in that series.

So I will say no, but I would be rooting for the Bobcats to do so in order to somewhat overshadow my Mavericks embarrassing exit in 2007.

I tell you what...the pieces you guys got now...I think you'll give LA 7 games too.

Jaji
02-20-2010, 12:20 AM
Yeah they can. It's all about matchups. But I think these situations are a little different because the Warriors dominated the Mavs that year. 2 of these CHA/CLE have been close. The Cavs just looked completely disinterested tonight. Not one hustle play while the Bobcats were diving all over the place.

still1ballin
02-20-2010, 12:21 AM
I think they can.....they can easily surprise the Cavs. The bobcats are a very underrated team.

still1ballin
02-20-2010, 12:23 AM
No.

The Bobcats are a scary team that match up well with us, but they have no playoff experience and we all know how important that is. If we faced them in the first round I couldn't see them beating us in a seven game series...

I am hoping they get the 6th or 7th seed so they can cause the Celtics or Magic some first round problems...

Did the Warriors have any playoff experience when they whooped on the Mavs?

deuces
02-20-2010, 12:36 AM
no, david stern would not allow it, other than complete dominance by the warriors it was a really fun team to watch, Charlotte would beat the cavs with boring defense

Public Enemy #1
02-20-2010, 12:55 AM
nah, Bobcats don't play exciting, scoring b-ball. They play slow, defensive , half court. Two completely different teams.

RadiantShot
02-20-2010, 01:00 AM
nah, Bobcats don't play exciting, scoring b-ball. They play slow, defensive , half court. Two completely different teams.

What does excitement have to do with winning ball games. Good teams will win, regardless if they're boring as dirt or not. Crowd matters, but not to the extent that it will affect a game result.

bigsams50
02-20-2010, 01:00 AM
I think we could beat Cleveland, but i think we're gonna climb the standings a lil. We're 2 and a half games out of 5th place. I dont know if we get that high but i def. see us gettin the 6th or 7th seed

bigsams50
02-20-2010, 01:01 AM

I'd rather be the best defensive team in the league than the best offensive team in the league...jus sayin

Mavrix
02-20-2010, 01:03 AM
This is a really good question. This Cleveland team is very very similar to that 67 win Mavs team.

JordansBulls
02-20-2010, 01:07 AM
The Bulls won @ Cleveland, they'd be closer to the Golden State comparison because Mo can't stop Rose and Deng will give Lebron fits.

I think the Bulls would beat the Cavs. Afterall we are 5-0 in series against them.

Kakaroach
02-20-2010, 01:10 AM
Absolutely they can. Whether or not they will we'll have to wait and see.

But they play team defense, and its pretty obvious how S-Jax has given them such an offensive touch.

bigsams50
02-20-2010, 01:11 AM
I think the Bulls would beat the Cavs. Afterall we are 5-0 in series against them.

Jordan doesnt play anymore

JNA17
02-20-2010, 01:12 AM
It's very possible for the bobcats. For some odd reason the bobcats kick the most of the elite team's *** like the cavs or lakers, etc.

TheKing23
02-20-2010, 01:34 AM

JB pass the blunt...

TheKing23
02-20-2010, 01:35 AM
Jordan doesnt play anymore

:laugh:

DerekRE_3
02-20-2010, 01:37 AM
It's very possible for the bobcats. For some odd reason the bobcats kick the most of the elite team's *** like the cavs or lakers, etc.

Funny how we have lost to the Nets twice and gone 3-1 against the Cavs.

Raph12
02-20-2010, 02:01 AM
I think so, they match up really well with them.

_KB24_
02-20-2010, 02:27 AM
It would be a series dominated by defense. Kind of boring. The Dallas/GSW series was a straight shootout. Its easier to win in a shootout than a game of "chess". The Cavs just have too much firepower, so no.

PLAYERS FAN
02-20-2010, 02:40 AM
Yep! I guess Skip Bayless don't look so foolish right now!

DerekRE_3
02-20-2010, 02:57 AM
It would be a series dominated by defense. Kind of boring. The Dallas/GSW series was a straight shootout. Its easier to win in a shootout than a game of "chess". The Cavs just have too much firepower, so no.

The Cats were anything but boring tonight.

Meth
02-20-2010, 04:41 AM
Warriors were never in the playoffs for over 10years. Nobody knew about Golden State and their abilities, and neither have I. I remember watching Game 1 to Game 7, it was one of the best playoff series I've watched (fast paced). Seriously, the crowd looked like they were standing the entire game. I heard they have one of the best fans in the NBA. We Believe Era was fun to watch. Anybody remember Baron Davis dunking on Andrei Kirilenko during Utah vs GSW? Nasty..

To answer your question, yes. Charlotte does have a chance. Stephen Jackson has raw talent leading his team to the playoffs. I look forward watching the upset. In addition, I guess I'll wonder where Lebron lands, assuming this upset happens in reality.

CAVS21
02-20-2010, 04:43 AM
they'd push the Cavs pretty hard in a series BUT the Cavs have something the Cats nor the Mavs back then don't have.....a guy like LBJ that can take over an entire series ala the Detroit series a few years back...the Cats are a tough out but Cleveland has too much for them to handle in a series.

Reddd
02-20-2010, 05:18 AM
They dont need playoff experience...that stuff really dosnt matter because Golden State had none when they played Dallas...its all about having the right pieces...If I was Cleveland I would pray that they play ATL or Orlando..otherwise it will go 7 games....My guts are saying lebron wont let a upset happen but you never know...if they keep playing like this...look out

I second this, because if you think about it, Golden State hadn't been in the playoffs in ages, but the Mavs had a lot of playoff experience, they had just come off the Finals, they knew what it took to get there, however Gstate beat them in 6, playoff experience had nothing to do with it.

Meth
02-20-2010, 03:43 PM
I second this, because if you think about it, Golden State hadn't been in the playoffs in ages, but the Mavs had a lot of playoff experience, they had just come off the Finals, they knew what it took to get there, however Gstate beat them in 6, playoff experience had nothing to do with it.

Gstate just had the correct match-ups and they had an explosive line-up with explosive players off the bench. In addition, Don Nelson coached Dallas before, so he knew their strong points and weaknesses.

Lakersfanla24
02-20-2010, 03:57 PM
although i would love to see that happen to show even more of lebrons "sportsmanship" it will not. I thought kobe was kinda arrogant but this guy takes the cake for someone who has won nothing. Stern isnt gonna let his man crush's team or his dream finals matchup - kobe vs lebron to get thrown out of the playoffs let alone the first round. That is unless he sees the cavs losing in the first round as the only way lebron ends up in NY.

king4day
02-20-2010, 04:16 PM
No.

Larry Brown does though.
Most of that team has been in the playoffs, finals, or even won a ring. Just not the team as a whole.
So experience won't have anything to do with their outcome.

king4day
02-20-2010, 04:20 PM
they'd push the Cavs pretty hard in a series BUT the Cavs have something the Cats nor the Mavs back then don't have.....a guy like LBJ that can take over an entire series ala the Detroit series a few years back...the Cats are a tough out but Cleveland has too much for them to handle in a series.

You clearly forget the Bobcats have someone named.....o I don't know....DIOP!!!! ;)

masalex1205
02-20-2010, 04:21 PM
No.

First of all, Stephen Jackson, Gerald Wallace, Diaw, Nazr, Chandler, Thomas, Diop, and most importantly Larry Brown have playoff experience. That leaves Felton, and Augustin as the only contributors that haven't been in the playoffs. Say what you want about Felton but he's a veteran who doesn't get shaken easily who led UNC to a national title (yes i know its diff. but its still relevant). Regardless, he and DJ will have veterans like Stephan Jackson and Gerald Wallace to lean on. Thus, I don't think lack of playoff experience is a big factor here.

In the end I think the real factor is the Lebron factor.

Although you shouldn't bet the farm(i.e. unlikely), no way you can say that the Bobcats can't beat Cleveland.

akay47
02-20-2010, 04:26 PM
No.
Jamison wasn't himself and neither were the cavs, they're still getting adjusted to getting Delonte and Mo back

/thread

DerekRE_3
02-20-2010, 04:27 PM
First of all, Stephen Jackson, Gerald Wallace, Diaw, Nazr, Chandler, Thomas, Diop, and most importantly Larry Brown have playoff experience. That leaves Felton, and Augustin as the only contributors that haven't been in the playoffs. Say what you want about Felton but he's a veteran who doesn't get shaken easily who led UNC to a national title (yes i know its diff. but its still relevant). Regardless, he and DJ will have veterans like Stephan Jackson and Gerald Wallace to lean on. Thus, I don't think lack of playoff experience is a big factor here.

In the end I think the real factor is the Lebron factor.

Although you shouldn't bet the farm(i.e. unlikely), no way you can say that the Bobcats can't beat Cleveland.

I don't see Felton getting too nervous because of the playoffs. He's probably the most clutch player on the team besides Jackson. We also have Theo Ratliff who has been to the NBA finals and has been around the block. Nazr with the Spurs during their championship days, etc.

THATSALL
02-20-2010, 04:45 PM
No.

if the cats can't beat the cavs in 7, than why not play them in the first round to get them out the way instead of later rounds where they will be very confident against cavs

J-Relo
02-20-2010, 05:09 PM
ok, Bobcats are a serious team... great defense+nice scoring are what they can give... the addition of Jackson made them go up to another level... but enough to beat Cavs? Yes, they already showed that. Enough to beat them in the playoffs? I doubt it.

let's look from the Cavs side - they have the best player (Lebron might be slowed down, but not stopped), they have nice backcourt (if Mo and others wont lose their hot hand and wont hide somewhere - watch out, even last game they shot great, well, not enough), they frontcourt is amazing (of course last nights Jamison performance was as terrible as this word takes, but we now that he can put some numbers, maybe not as good as most expected but he still can, plus don't forget Jickson, Varejao, old guys - Shaq, probably Ilgauskas, and don't forget Leon POWE getting back)... so as we see they have players, they built a great team... it still has to stick together, newcomer Jamison and Powe have a lot of work to do to fill in, but there is no reasons this not to happen...

also back to the matchup, during the playoffs, i guess they wont look for some tactics, rotations - it's time to work... players who can play at that time - will play... as much as needed... as we look at last game it wasn't a clear go-for-it game, it was more of it's-one-of-82-before-we-start-play.

game might go either way, but as Cavaliers are a better of a team they are favourite to win the series... the playoffs are gona be nice!

iggypop123
02-20-2010, 05:17 PM
^ in playoffs they dont run 12 man rotations. powe is irrelevant. they have some intersting matchup isses for the cavs. felton seems to hurt them, wallace is a beast and plays well against lebron captain jack cant be guarded by either parker or moon. they lack size but with chandler coming back they have nazr, diop,ratliff. diaw allows them to have a mini hedo effect where you have a pf act as a pg. jamison should help but it is still the same effect of hedo last yr. the only issue for the cats is lebron could just lower his shoulder and get 30 ft a game.

akagiredsuns
02-20-2010, 05:29 PM
It's funny how the Bobcats have beaten Cleveland 3 times this year, yet they have lost to the Nets twice. WTF LOL :laugh:

J-Relo
02-20-2010, 05:33 PM
^ in playoffs they dont run 12 man rotations. powe is irrelevant. they have some intersting matchup isses for the cavs. felton seems to hurt them, wallace is a beast and plays well against lebron captain jack cant be guarded by either parker or moon. they lack size but with chandler coming back they have nazr, diop,ratliff. diaw allows them to have a mini hedo effect where you have a pf act as a pg. jamison should help but it is still the same effect of hedo last yr. the only issue for the cats is lebron could just lower his shoulder and get 30 ft a game.

nice post on Cats side...

yes, maybe they don't run 12 man rotation, but the depth of Cavs open up many opportunities...

yes as I said players will play as long as they can as long as they produce, so i don't see Lebron playing less than 40min (f.e. last game when both Jack and Wallace played 40), take in mind others too...

maybe it's Brown that they're unable to do what they're actually capable with the rotation they have, or maybe they don't really care... well of course they don't care about one win enough to sacrifice something, but could do better...

Bobcats played great - worth the win.

J-Relo
02-20-2010, 05:34 PM
It's funny how the Bobcats have beaten Cleveland 3 times this year, yet they have lost to the Nets twice. WTF LOL :laugh:

let's look Cavs have the best record - they are the best?

Bobcats beat the Cavs - so Bobcats are better?

Nets beat the Bobcats - so they are better?

Nets are the best?

Chacarron
02-20-2010, 05:48 PM
I think they can. During the playoffs, the team with the better defense has the better chance to win a series. Charlotte is a great defensive team and has not allowed Cleveland to score much in their wins. Anything is possible during the playoffs.

DCB/LAL
02-20-2010, 05:52 PM
Simply yes, the Bobcats can and very well might beat the Cavs.

Ty Fast
02-20-2010, 06:03 PM
that's why they play the games

iggypop123
02-20-2010, 06:05 PM

Nets are the best?

lakers swept the cavs and celtics last yr and got swept by the cats. thats the nba

ink
02-20-2010, 06:06 PM

In 2007 we all know that Golden State was the worst matchup for the Mavs when the playoffs came and it showed.

Thus far this season the Cavs have won only once against the Bobcats and Bobcats have taken 3 games.

If the two met in the playoffs, could this series be like a Mavs vs Warriors in 2007?

Could be.

ink
02-20-2010, 06:06 PM

Could be. Good question.

CAVS21
02-20-2010, 06:09 PM
You clearly forget the Bobcats have someone named.....o I don't know....DIOP!!!! ;)

lmfao.....he's still in the league? haha

akagiredsuns
02-20-2010, 06:09 PM

Nets are the best?

i wasn't saying nets are better its just one of those weirds things the cats beat the team with the best record in the NBA thrice and lost to the NBA's worst team twice. just one of those weird facts. bobcats are better than nets of course regardless and so far this season they got the cavs number. i really think the cats can pull off the upset if they steal one in cleveland and protect their homecourt. bobcats in 6. 4th biggest upset of 8th seed over 1 ever. nothing can ever top mutombo and denver over seattle in '94. :clap:

Best & only 8th seed upsets over #1's in playoff history:

1. Denver over Seattle - '94 playoffs
2. Golden State over Dallas - '07 playoffs
3. New York over Miami - '99 playoffs
4. Charlotte over Cleveland?? - TBD

superkegger
02-20-2010, 06:21 PM
Charlotte is a dangerous matchup for anybody. They play D, and with two guys like Wallace and SJax, they're just tough. Gritty tough and nasty. I'm not sure they can beat the cavs in a 7 game series, but like Atlanta did to Boston a few years back, they'll push them.

thedfactor
02-20-2010, 06:27 PM
Still don't know if they can really beat the Cavs in a series. The GS/Dallas series was different, GS was straight up more talented.

J-Rich, BDiddy, SJax, Al Harrington, Pietrus, Barnes, Ellis, Biedrins, and Azibuike...wow

JordansBulls
02-21-2010, 09:37 AM
Still don't know if they can really beat the Cavs in a series. The GS/Dallas series was different, GS was straight up more talented.

J-Rich, BDiddy, SJax, Al Harrington, Pietrus, Barnes, Ellis, Biedrins, and Azibuike...wow

And the Bobcats aren't talented?

J-Relo
02-21-2010, 10:20 AM
And the Bobcats aren't talented?

maybe he meant more talented than Dallas...

Bobcats talent wise aren't better than Cavs...

drobe86
02-21-2010, 11:39 AM
No way in hell... Cleveland would win this in 5 games. this is the playoffs and Lebron wouldn't let them lose. And the GS-Dal series was more of a coaching defieciency because Nellie had built that Dallas team therefore he knew strengths and weaknesses of the team. Lebron would literally average close to 50 in this series in the playoffs....

JordansBulls
02-25-2010, 08:24 PM
No way in hell... Cleveland would win this in 5 games. this is the playoffs and Lebron wouldn't let them lose. And the GS-Dal series was more of a coaching defieciency because Nellie had built that Dallas team therefore he knew strengths and weaknesses of the team. Lebron would literally average close to 50 in this series in the playoffs....

Ok, and Bobcats have Larry Brown while the Cavs have Mike Brown.

Kakaroach
02-25-2010, 08:28 PM
No way in hell... Cleveland would win this in 5 games. this is the playoffs and Lebron wouldn't let them lose. And the GS-Dal series was more of a coaching defieciency because Nellie had built that Dallas team therefore he knew strengths and weaknesses of the team. Lebron would literally average close to 50 in this series in the playoffs.... Nobody would average that against the Bobcats defense.

And yes, they have a shot at pulling an upset, especially since their what, 3-1 against them this season?

Purple&Gold24
02-25-2010, 08:43 PM
Not sure, but im sure it would be an interesting series.

bigsams50
02-25-2010, 08:46 PM

No way on gods green earth would ANY player average 50 points agame against this Bobcats defense. Let alone a player who is being gaurded by Crash and Captain Jack

Sly Guy
02-25-2010, 08:47 PM
I'd say there's a good chance. The only difference is that it's two defensive minded teams instead of two offensive minded ones. And the big difference between defense and offense is that defense requires 5 guys to be good playing that side of the floor, where on offense, you can have one guy head and shoulders take over a game.