PDA

View Full Version : Warriors Rejected Mayo, Thabeet For Monta Offer

Kdirt
02-19-2010, 09:53 PM
The Warriors rejected a proposed deal with Memphis that would have sent Monta Ellis to the Grizzlies for O.J. Mayo and Hasheem Thabeet, according to two separate sources.

Hamed Haddadi may or may not have been included in the deal as well.

“I don’t care about that,” Ellis said after Friday’s shootaround. “I play basketball. Whatever decision they make upstairs is on them. I never looked at it. I heard about it, but I never worried about it.”

Via Matt Steinmetz/CSN Bay Area

Read more: http://www.******.com/src_wiretap_archives/64893/20100219/warriors_rejected_mayo_thabeet_for_monta_offer/#ixzz0g2LoBcH8

JWO35
02-19-2010, 09:54 PM
I bet its even harder being a Warriors fans after hearing this....

daleja424
02-19-2010, 09:55 PM
:speechless: what were they thinking...

blackjack_119
02-19-2010, 09:55 PM
If that is true, the Warriors brass are even bigger idiots than I thought. It sounds like Chris Wallace to offer that trade though.

CowboysKB24
02-19-2010, 09:56 PM
They p[robably should have done the deal. I dont think Monta and Curry are a good combination but what the ehll.

Romo2Bryant
02-19-2010, 10:02 PM
Warriors = :facepalm:

Romo2Bryant
02-19-2010, 10:04 PM
Memphis = :facepalm: for offering that piss of **** lol

Method28
02-19-2010, 10:06 PM
wow, id do Ellis for Mayo straight up if I were GS

_KB24_
02-19-2010, 10:07 PM
I don't know who was more stupid, Memphis for offering such a great deal, or Golden State for denying it. Does GS enjoy having to play D-leaguers??

Cubsfan365
02-19-2010, 10:12 PM
Curry and Mayo would be amazing

cmellofan15
02-19-2010, 10:12 PM
I heard about this but I didn't know Thabeet was included. Anybody hear any statements of why it was declined?

Derick713
02-19-2010, 10:14 PM
This maybe the most amazing thing I've heard if it is really true. To think that the Grizzlies would really give the 3rd Pick in the 08 Draft and the 2nd Pick in the 09 Draft for Ellis.

Redraft

Rodney Stuckey/
Tyreke Evans/
Thaddeus Young/
Jeff Green/
Brook Lopez/

Hawkeye15
02-19-2010, 10:17 PM
Mayo for Ellis is a wash. They are both scorers and one dimensional. Thabeet is a project, but appears to at least be able to turn into a decent defender. Both teams messed this one up.

Public Enemy #1
02-19-2010, 10:17 PM
How is this a good trade for the Warriors? Mayo can't get to the rim like Ellis and he sure as hell doesn't haven't the speed in the open court as Ellis does. Monta has a better jumper than Majo. Thabeet hasn't even done anything in the NBA yet and wouldn't be able to handle the fast paced offensive system, if anything the deal would have sucked for the Warriors. Now, if the Warriors really wanted to trade Ellis then yeah, this deal isn't too bad but its not the greatest.

td0tsfinest
02-19-2010, 10:20 PM
wow, id do Ellis for Mayo straight up if I were GS

..thats what she said.

Luke_K77bear
02-19-2010, 10:21 PM
Monta Ellis was almost on the Allstar Team, besides the turnovers, he's better

JNA17
02-19-2010, 10:26 PM
warriors are dumb for declining the offer.

Grizzlies are dumber for even offering it.

mzgrizz
02-20-2010, 12:18 AM
I'm speechless......

DeyAce
02-20-2010, 12:29 AM
WOW, how could they reject that??

JNA17
02-20-2010, 12:33 AM
I'm speechless......

you should be use it by now lol

mzgrizz
02-20-2010, 12:35 AM
^^^^^^ Believe it or not, Iam NOT used to it. I spend a LOT of $$$$$$$$ for my courtside seats and expect more from then than those stupid trade ideas.

kyubi256
02-20-2010, 12:45 AM
Really doubt this is true

JNA17
02-20-2010, 12:47 AM
^^^^^^ Believe it or not, Iam NOT used to it. I spend a LOT of $$$$$$$$ for my courtside seats and expect more from then than those stupid trade ideas.

You should probably cut on the tickets then next season...(assuming rudy gay does not resign with the grizzlies back for almost a max)

jeter 2
02-20-2010, 12:56 AM
I doubt there is any truth to this.

dtmagnet
02-20-2010, 01:07 AM
That was a duff by GS imo.

PantyRaider
02-20-2010, 01:08 AM
Any these Celtic fans actually thought they could land Monta Ellis for Ray Allen and that the Celtics held all the cards in that deal. :laugh: Celtic fans can be so gullible.

Kakaroach
02-20-2010, 01:16 AM
I'm speechless...... I really would not know what to say as a Grizz fan either lol. Just be happy they didn't accept I guess. :shrug:

LD555
02-20-2010, 01:46 AM
I don't know who is dumber: the Griz for offering Mayo and Thabeet or the Warriors for turning it down. Yeah Monta Ellis can score and has All-Star potential, but Mayo can score just the same and Thabeet is a comparible to Mutombo with his D. I think in time his offense will improve in the paint as well, so the Warriors just passed on two good young players so they could hold on to one. You do the math.

LD555
02-20-2010, 01:48 AM
Didn't notice someone up top already mentioned that both teams are botards, so my bad for stating the obvious again.

Mike515089
02-20-2010, 01:53 AM
I bet its even harder being a Warriors fans after hearing this....

:horse: The only thing I can think of why they did this for is to lose as many games as they can hoping they can beat New Jersy in the John Wall lotery :facepalm:

itsripcity32
02-20-2010, 02:00 AM
Really doubt this is true

i agree. whoever tthinks its true is the true dumb one.

this is just like the people who believed that stad was going to the cavs for trash

I Am Awesome-O
02-20-2010, 02:07 AM
Neither team is that stupid.

$KnicksAndKobe$
02-20-2010, 02:09 AM
Grizzlies for offering = :facepalm:
Warriors for rejecting = :facepalm:

I really doubt this was offered ... just seems idiotic.

cmellofan15
02-20-2010, 02:12 AM
i agree. whoever tthinks its true is the true dumb one.

this is just like the people who believed that stad was going to the cavs for trash

Jamison went to the Cavs for a very late first rounder so Amar'e going to Cleveland for cap relief would've made more since

ChongInc.
02-20-2010, 02:13 AM
That's silly

NYKnicks4511
02-20-2010, 02:18 AM
Think... Someone just offered you a budding star in Mayo, and the number 2 overall pick in last year's draft for an over-hyped (he's very good don't get me wrong) player who doesn't fit with Steph Curry.

Look at the possible youth movement they could have had going!
Steph Curry, OJ Mayo, Anthony Morrow, Kelenna Azubuike, Anthony Randolph, Andris Biedrins, Hasheem Thabeet, Brandan Wright ...

Big ol' Child Please to the Warriors' brass. :facepalm:

Should add that I also don't really believe this trade was offered. But if it was...read above again.

IrespectNumber3
02-20-2010, 02:25 AM
Monta Ellis can actually play point...thats what memphis really needs...but financially, yes this wouldv'e been a stupid move

shizzle09
02-20-2010, 02:34 AM
are you all really this far out of the loop. I know Monta plays while half of you are sleeping and the other half doesnt even care about the warriors but WOW. Monta is legit and has just as much upside as Mayo if not more. Mayo is playing like dog **** lately avg 14 ppg over his last 7 and he's only avg 17-3-3 (Ellis 26-4-5)on the year. Ellis is also shooting a better % while taking more shots. Ellis gets to the line way more than Mayo. the only thing Mayo has on Ellis is less To's but thats to be expected with handling the ball as much as he does. Mayo may be good down the line but you all act so shocked that the warriors keep Ellis who at this point is playing way better than mayo.it's not even close really. I'm not even a Warrior fan but i live in the bay area and watch all the W's games so i see it first hand. Mayo is all hype at this point based on his play and he's actually playing worse than last year

_KB24_
02-20-2010, 02:39 AM
I'm still can't get over how this was even brought into the table............

shizzle09
02-20-2010, 02:43 AM
Think... Someone just offered you a budding star in Mayo, and the number 2 overall pick in last year's draft for an over-hyped (he's very good don't get me wrong) player who doesn't fit with Steph Curry.

Look at the possible youth movement they could have had going!
Steph Curry, OJ Mayo, Anthony Morrow, Kelenna Azubuike, Anthony Randolph, Andris Biedrins, Hasheem Thabeet, Brandan Wright ...

Big ol' Child Please to the Warriors' brass. :facepalm:

Should add that I also don't really believe this trade was offered. But if it was...read above again.

you do know that Eliis is only 24 right? Mayo is 22. Ellis is younger than 2 of the players u list in your "youth movement" (Morrow & Azubuike). How are you going to say he doesnt fit with Curry? Curry himself said they make each other better when they're on the floor together. They're towards the top in alot of stats as a tandem so im not sure where you get that from.

shizzle09
02-20-2010, 02:46 AM
I'm still can't get over how this was even brought into the table............

your sig pic is hilarious:clap:

THE MTL
02-20-2010, 04:02 AM
Thank goodness the Warriors were TOO STUPID to take this trade. Thabeet and Mayo thats just ridiculous. Mayo is a pure scorer and Thabeet still has mad potential and could show defense to the defenseless Warriors. Essentially that was 2nd and 3rd pick for Monta Ellis.

Raph12
02-20-2010, 04:05 AM
Curry and Mayo would make a great backcourt, while Thabeet could develop into a quality starting center down the road.

Stupid on the Warriors' part for not taking this deal.

Meth
02-20-2010, 04:26 AM
Trade was.. okay. Ellis is a great player, and fun to watch with an uptempo offense. Unfortunately, Warriors seems to play better WITHOUT him. He has to go. But, I see no difference between Mayo and Ellis. Overall, Ellis is better than Mayo IMO. Warriors needed size, they could've added Thabeet.

I can't believe Memphis even offering that trade. Ellis wants the ball in his hand all the time, and I don't think Memphis would get any better. I'm not sure if Rudy Gay would resign with the Grizzlies if that trade went down.

Golden State needs players who has any knowledge of how the game goes. They can't trade away players to start "rebuilding" again. They need leaders that are able to make plays for his teammates, along with that, be productive himself. Mayo would be another Monta Ellis, but more sloppy. Thabeet can't run an uptemp offense.

Therefore, both teams would probably get raped in his trade. In addition, this would affect the players decision to remain on their team in the future.

nolin
02-20-2010, 04:45 AM
Via Matt Steinmetz/CSN Bay Area

Read more: http://www.******.com/src_wiretap_archives/64893/20100219/warriors_rejected_mayo_thabeet_for_monta_offer/#ixzz0g2LoBcH8

Sorry but I actually know this was not the deal prospose. So if your going to post something post it right please.

shizzle09
02-20-2010, 04:54 AM
Thank goodness the Warriors were TOO STUPID to take this trade. Thabeet and Mayo thats just ridiculous. Mayo is a pure scorer and Thabeet still has mad potential and could show defense to the defenseless Warriors. Essentially that was 2nd and 3rd pick for Monta Ellis.

Mayo is nowhere near the scorer Ellis is. Thats not even a contest. Rudy Gay Monta Ellis tandem would have been dirty.

$ NyC $
02-20-2010, 05:18 AM
Wow, GS are freakin DUMB. The Grizzlies are pretty dumb also for offering such a deal!

alencp3
02-20-2010, 05:30 AM
Mayo is younger and with Curry in that team would rocked. If i was GS i would take in a heartbeat Mayo for Monta. And a addition Da Beat who is defender GS need. WOW both teams are very stupid!

ldc62
02-20-2010, 06:50 AM
I thought people believe Ellis was a top 20 player in this league... Why is it so crazy that GS rejected this offer? Mayo is good, but at this point Ellis is better. (But then again, I just watch Daryl Morey do some amazing work so I guess I still cant comprehend such not lopsided trades like these)

Hawkeye15
02-20-2010, 07:01 AM
Mayo is nowhere near the scorer Ellis is. Thats not even a contest. Rudy Gay Monta Ellis tandem would have been dirty.

really the only differences are this: Mayo doesn't get to the line quite as much, and Ellis jacks up over 22 shots a game. Mayo would score well over 20 ppg as well with the Warriors. And for a ton cheaper. And GS would get a shotblocker.
Ellis is one of the most overrated players in the NBA. Mayo isn't great either, but he does the same thing for cheaper basically, and Thabeet can at least block some shots here and there

Big Quett
02-20-2010, 09:34 AM
Ok let me get this stright. everybody on the earth outside of Memphis thinks we wont resign Rudy Gay for 12 or so this summer. But they believe we would pay Monta (who may be a sloght upgrade) 11mil over the next for years instead of paying Mayo his rookie salary for 2 more years?

Yea that makes alot of sense:eyebrow:

Mayo and Gay at about 17 mil>>>>>>Monta and Rudy at 24 mil

koreancabbage
02-20-2010, 09:50 AM
as of right now, ellis is the better player but i think the trade could still be a wash after all is said and done.

Stay_Swim
02-20-2010, 10:03 AM
You people and Monta Ellis.
Ok I will tell you what he is.
Fast.
A scoring threat.
Very good at reaching and stealing the ball

other then that:

Whoever said he can play point, is an idiot. Are you kidding me you really think Monta Ellis is a PG! Dude doesn't even pass the ball, not to mention he turns the ball over about 5 times a game. Wow now there a PG if I ever saw one.
He is a product of the Nellie Ball system. What happened when Baron Davis ran that ****** offense? Inflated stats, then he goes to LA, and has to actually run an offense, and he is now garbage. Get the point?
You see Ellis has to have the ball in his hands to be effective.
And who said he was way better shooter then OJ Mayo?! Are you serious...
CHILD PLEASE.
Monta Ellis= .458
Oj=.451

Sportfan
02-20-2010, 10:15 AM
This maybe the most amazing thing I've heard if it is really true. To think that the Grizzlies would really give the 3rd Pick in the 08 Draft and the 2nd Pick in the 09 Draft for Ellis.

Redraft

Rodney Stuckey/
Tyreke Evans/
Thaddeus Young/
Jeff Green/
Brook Lopez/
What's even funnier is that Ellis was a 2nd round pick. 2 top 3 picks for a 2nd :laugh:

NYKnicks4511
02-20-2010, 12:33 PM
you do know that Eliis is only 24 right? Mayo is 22. Ellis is younger than 2 of the players u list in your "youth movement" (Morrow & Azubuike). How are you going to say he doesnt fit with Curry? Curry himself said they make each other better when they're on the floor together. They're towards the top in alot of stats as a tandem so im not sure where you get that from.

2 young players with low mileage andpotential are better than one. Plus Curry should eventually run the point and Mayo is a pure SG who can play some spot point.

Also - Monta said they didn't coexist well a while back :)

celtisox41
02-20-2010, 02:50 PM
This has to be a joke, nobody is that dumb

IversonIsKrazy
02-20-2010, 03:06 PM
I don't think the 2 unnamed sources are true, theres no way Memphis would trade away a future possible Superstar in OJ Mayo + a first round pick who is going to be a defensive beast, for an undersized SG that can play any D.

And theres no way GS would decline that offer.

This is clearly not true

shizzle09
02-20-2010, 03:33 PM
You people and Monta Ellis.
Ok I will tell you what he is.
Fast.
A scoring threat.
Very good at reaching and stealing the ball

other then that:

Whoever said he can play point, is an idiot. Are you kidding me you really think Monta Ellis is a PG! Dude doesn't even pass the ball, not to mention he turns the ball over about 5 times a game. Wow now there a PG if I ever saw one.
He is a product of the Nellie Ball system. What happened when Baron Davis ran that ****** offense? Inflated stats, then he goes to LA, and has to actually run an offense, and he is now garbage. Get the point?
You see Ellis has to have the ball in his hands to be effective.
And who said he was way better shooter then OJ Mayo?! Are you serious...
CHILD PLEASE.
Monta Ellis= .458
Oj=.451

First... are you freaking high? Ellis has had more than 5 assits like 30 times this year while Mayo has done it 10 TIMES!!!! 2nd.... HES NOT A POINT GUARD. Who's saying he's a pg? you really are a smart one. But i guess Monta is weak since he jacks up so many shots and thats why he scores more. If thats the case i guess Mayo is better than Wade, Kobe, Melo and any other stud in this league that shots over 20 a game.

Ellis leads in every stat other than TO's and 3 pt %. More steals, Blocks, Rebounds, Assists, points, ft's made, fg %. Hilarious that a guy who cant even score 20 points on a regular basis has been tabbed as better than Ellis. W's are LUCKY they didnt accept this or they would have regretted losing yet another player that went on to be a stud elsewhere. If the Heat didnt have D Wade i'd love to have Ellis on the Heat.

shizzle09
02-20-2010, 03:38 PM
I don't think the 2 unnamed sources are true, theres no way Memphis would trade away a future possible Superstar in OJ Mayo + a first round pick who is going to be a defensive beast, for an undersized SG that can play any D.

And theres no way GS would decline that offer.

This is clearly not true

:facepalm: He's only 2nd in steals behind Rondo at 2.2 per game. Good call. He cant play any D. :facepalm:

I need to get out of this thread because the nonsense in here is ridiculous

shizzle09
02-20-2010, 03:44 PM
2 young players with low mileage andpotential are better than one. Plus Curry should eventually run the point and Mayo is a pure SG who can play some spot point.

Also - Monta said they didn't coexist well a while back :)

True and i'll give you that much. My response is to the people that are simply saying no way you trade Mayo for Ellis. In my eyes thats a no brainer. Ellis is loved by the fans here in the bay area and if they traded away yet another loved player the fans might burn down oracle arena. Curry loves playing with Ellis and if there's any problem with them playing together it will solve itself over time if the W's front office could actually bring in the right players. No way i would give up on Ellis when he's progressed like he has this year. who knows what his ceiling is. thats all im saying really. Mayo isnt worth Ellis at this point. If thabeet turns out to be a stud then we can revisit this and maybe i would get a :facepalm: for these posts but until then.......

Meth
02-20-2010, 03:51 PM
His steals are from gambling offense.. Ellis is an explosive players; he can score, he's fast, he can get to the basket, he can beat almost everybody (or everybody) off a dribble.

But the thing is, he's not a PG. He's a SG that HAS to play with bigger PG such as Baron Davis. In addition, he doesn't get his teams involved except for Magette. When Ellis and Magette are out, Warriors tend to play better due to chemistry and ball movement.

GodsSon
02-20-2010, 03:51 PM
Warriors = FAIL!

shizzle09
02-20-2010, 04:39 PM
FG made per game
Kobe - 10.3 - Ellis - 10.1

FG att pg
Kobe - 22.4 - Ellis 22.1

FG %
Kobe 46.1% - Ellis 45.8

3 pt %
Kobe 32.7% - Ellis 32.4%

FT pg
Kobe 5.9 - Ellis 4.6

Rebounds
Kobe 5.3 - Ellis 4.1

Assists
Kobe 4.7 - Ellis 5.4

Steals
Kobe 1.7 - Ellis 2.2

Blocks
Kobe .3 - Ellis .4

PPG
Kobe 28 - Ellis 25.8

Stats dont tell the whole story and obviously Kobe is a way better player i just wanted to point exactly how good Ellis's numbers are.