PDA

View Full Version : The trade that didn't happen saved the Rocket's season

bchissie
02-19-2010, 05:38 PM
I don't know if you guys heard but at the last minute of the trade deadline the Rockets offered Battier, Scola, and Brian Cook for Stoudemire. The Suns agreed but only under the stipulation that they would waive the physical exams to make sure the trade went through before the deadline. The Rockets refused knowing Amare's medical history.

I think that would of been a terrible trade for the Rockets, you get a terribly overrated Amare who doesnt play defense. You had 3 of the best role players in the league, but now have 2 since trading Landry. Trading Battier and Scola would of hurt their defense and depth huge. And probably chemistry too, especially since they just added a star in Kevin Martin.

The trade the Rockets didnt make, saved their season

Do you guys agree? or do you think they should of pulled the trigger?

-Kobe24-TJ19-
02-19-2010, 05:59 PM
amare is so overrated, so its was a good decision

Chronz
02-19-2010, 06:02 PM
Imagine
Brooks/Lowry
Martin
Ariza
Amare
Yao

Thats insane, but if they are waiving physicals there must be something seriously wrong with Amare. It would explain why hes been underperforming.

SteveNash
02-19-2010, 06:07 PM
Brian Cook is one of the best role players in the NBA?

bchissie
02-19-2010, 06:10 PM
Brian Cook is one of the best role players in the NBA?

No i meant they had 3. and almost traded away all 3 of them. Landry, Scola, Battier.

sep11ie
02-19-2010, 06:11 PM
^ I think he meant Landry, Battier, and Lowry

sep11ie
^or them

JWO35
The trade that didn't happen would have put the Rockets as one of the West elite once Yao returns...

bchissie
02-19-2010, 06:13 PM
The trade that didn't happen would have put the Rockets as one of the West elite once Yao returns...

Brooks
Martin
Ariza
Stoudemire
Ming

with no depth at all. would of been a good team on paper. but probably have serious chemistry issues. and play awful defense.

Kyben36
02-19-2010, 06:14 PM
I would have done the trade, if Amare didnt have an injury histroy, but the fact they dont want to have a physical done, thats a sign that he is in trouble.

kjdills13
they were waiving the physical so the deal could get done before the deadline str8 from steve kerrs mouth on sports 620 ktar

SteveNash
No i meant they had 3. and almost traded away all 3 of them. Landry, Scola, Battier.

Would you be willing to do a Landry/Scola/Battier for Zach Randolph trade?

bchissie
02-19-2010, 06:17 PM
Would you be willing to do a Landry/Scola/Battier for Zach Randolph trade?

not a chance.

FarOutIos
02-19-2010, 06:17 PM
Brooks
Martin
Ariza
Stoudemire
Ming

with no depth at all. would of been a good team on paper. but probably have serious chemistry issues. and play awful defense.

Role players? We're talking about role players? Role players are second round picks. Stars are difficult to find. You ALWAYS trade role players for stars.

king4day
02-19-2010, 06:19 PM
Imagine
Brooks/Lowry
Martin
Ariza
Amare
Yao

Thats insane, but if they are waiving physicals there must be something seriously wrong with Amare. It would explain why hes been underperforming.

Who said he's underperforming? He's having an oversll career year.

wileyisTOFU
02-19-2010, 06:19 PM
amare is so overrated, so its was a good decision

not to mention a bum knee and fragile eye

FarOutIos
02-19-2010, 06:23 PM
You had 3 of the best role players in the league but already traded away (Landry). Trading Battier and Scola would of hurt their defense and depth huge.

Role players are a dime a dozen. I'm a kings fan and we think we have some of the best role players in the NBA. Jon Brockman is an NBA leader in rebounding if he plays 40+ minutes. Francisco Garcia is a hustler who pushes the tempo.

Look at San Antonio- Blair, Hill and Ginobli are great in their roles.

Always trade for the best talent. That's why I worry about the K-Mart for Landry trade... as a kings fan, I hope Landry is that good.

king4day
02-19-2010, 06:23 PM
One source told ESPN.com's J.A. Adande that the Rockets -- fresh off constructing a three-team blockbuster that sent Tracy McGrady to New York and landed Kevin Martin in Houston -- offered veterans Shane Battier and Luis Scola, multiple draft picks and the expiring contract of Brian Cook for Stoudemire. But the source said Phoenix wanted to waive the requisite physical examinations for the players involved to make sure the trade went through in time, only for Houston to refuse because of Stoudemire's injury history.

Yet another source with knowledge of the talks disputed that account, telling ESPN.com that the Suns initiated the conversation by asking for Battier, Scola and draft considerations, which Houston refused.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4924306

We'll probably never know the truth since it was initiated so close to the deadline.

bchissie
02-19-2010, 06:24 PM
Role players? We're talking about role players? Role players are second round picks. Stars are difficult to find. You ALWAYS trade role players for stars.

quality role players are hard to find. and amare is a star, but a very overrated one. with a history of medical problems. and theres such thing as chemistry in basketball too, probably the most important aspect of the game. you cant just field a team of alpha-male stars and expect to mesh and win games. just look at the lakers with shaq, kobe, malone, and payton getting killed by a team with great chemistry, the pistons, in the finals.

bchissie
02-19-2010, 06:26 PM
and lets not forget these arent any role players either, i said 3 of the best. Landry was leader for 6th man of the year. Battier is a defensive player of the year canidate every year. and scola is one of the best rebounders in the game.

JOSKOMANG4
02-19-2010, 06:28 PM
Disagree. A'mare is a 25/15 guy a night.

and if A'Mare opt out.. it's a win b/c you have 17 million off the books next season! Though Cook & Scola's contract expires at seasons end, Battier has another year left at under 7 million.

bchissie
02-19-2010, 06:32 PM
Disagree. A'mare is a 25/15 guy a night.

and if A'Mare opt out.. it's a win b/c you have 17 million off the books next season! Though Cook & Scola's contract expires at seasons end, Battier has another year left at under 7 million.

haha 15 boards a night? you're joking right? look at his stats.

LakeShowRaider
02-19-2010, 06:35 PM
Last I checked role players HELP win championships...they don't get you there...

mrblisterdundee
02-19-2010, 06:38 PM
The Rockets definitely would have been looking at a defensive lapse. Battier, in my opinion, is the best defensive player in the league who is not a shot-blocking, heavy-rebounding center. I'd say he's better than Artest.
I think the Rockets' window of opportunity, though, would have been the same. Battier is already 32, and Scola is will be 30 in a little more than two months. Meanwhile, Stoudemire is only 28. Despite the medical problems, I'd say he has several highly productive years left.
I think the Rockets would want him in order to trade Yao Ming away. Amare isn't nearly as good, but could be the best undersized center in Houston since Hakeem. He would provide a great option for Brooks to throw the ball to. Amare and Hill would form a decent front court, with Ariza on the wings. The main problem I see is a lack of ball distribution outside of Brooks.

Here's the starting five:

PG - Aaron Brooks
SG - Kevin Martin
SF - Trevor Ariza
PF - Jordan Hill
C - Amare Stoudemire

That looks like a nice line-up to me, while Houston still has Yao Ming coming back next year. I would have made the trade, despite the defensive drop-off.

val_modus
02-19-2010, 09:33 PM
So Scola is now a good defensive player?

astrosmaniac
02-19-2010, 10:10 PM
The Rockets definitely would have been looking at a defensive lapse. Battier, in my opinion, is the best defensive player in the league who is not a shot-blocking, heavy-rebounding center. I'd say he's better than Artest.
I think the Rockets' window of opportunity, though, would have been the same. Battier is already 32, and Scola is will be 30 in a little more than two months. Meanwhile, Stoudemire is only 28. Despite the medical problems, I'd say he has several highly productive years left.
I think the Rockets would want him in order to trade Yao Ming away. Amare isn't nearly as good, but could be the best undersized center in Houston since Hakeem. He would provide a great option for Brooks to throw the ball to. Amare and Hill would form a decent front court, with Ariza on the wings. The main problem I see is a lack of ball distribution outside of Brooks.

Here's the starting five:

PG - Aaron Brooks
SG - Kevin Martin
SF - Trevor Ariza
PF - Jordan Hill
C - Amare Stoudemire

That looks like a nice line-up to me, while Houston still has Yao Ming coming back next year. I would have made the trade, despite the defensive drop-off.

they would never trade yao. yao is too valuable in terms of basketball talent and money making for him to be traded. yao would help cover amare's defensive issues, as well as being able to stretch the floor with his jumper.

Fireworld
02-19-2010, 10:35 PM
They should trade Yao while his value is "ok"

mzgrizz
02-20-2010, 12:23 AM
Saved the Rockets for years to come.

RadiantShot
02-20-2010, 12:51 AM
They should've pulled a Gilbert Arenas. :laugh:
That was messed up, sorry for the immaturity, but you begged for it!

THE MTL
02-20-2010, 04:05 AM
Why didnt Phoenix want the physical exam. It had NOTHING to do with the completing the trade. Players dont have to complete the physical by the deadline.

Meth
02-20-2010, 04:28 AM
Trade active players for an injury prone player. Good job, no sarcasm intended.
/notajoke

Punkindrublic03
02-20-2010, 04:44 AM
who gives a flying **** about chemistry.

Talent wins titles.

Derick713
02-20-2010, 05:08 AM
Shane is nearing the end of his career anyway. Scola is an energy player that puts up good numbers on certain nights.

Roles players emerge from playing around great talents. If the Rockets resign Stoudemire and pair him with Ming and Martin then you’ve got a pretty good core. Aaron Brooks, Amare Stoudemire, and Yao Ming are match-up nightmares.

Carl Landry is a good player, but Morey can find someone in the draft that is similar to Landry. Millsap and Blair are prime examples. Two 2nd round picks that make their living on hustle and energy.

Teams win titles with elite talents. Stoudemire is an elite talent.

Aaron Brooks/Kyle Lowry/
Kevin Martin/
Trevor Ariza/Chase Budinger/
Amare Stoudemire/
Yao Ming/

DenButsu
02-20-2010, 05:12 AM
Imagine
Brooks/Lowry
Martin
Ariza
Amare
Yao

And might also explain why Phoenix ultimately was unable to move him by the deadline.

fredv
02-20-2010, 05:20 AM
i doubt stat would have resigned anyways

Chronz
02-20-2010, 05:23 AM
Who said he's underperforming? He's having an oversll career year.

U talkin bout amare?

ldc62
02-20-2010, 06:43 AM
They should trade Yao while his value is "ok"

:facepalm:

From a basketball perspective, Yao is still or should still be pretty good. From a financial perspective Yao is amazing... Teams would be lining up to get Yao on their teams. You know how much money the Rockets and Nets make from China? (A lot). There is a reason why the Nets declined a trade that would've sent Yi to the Celtics for Davis.