PDA

View Full Version : Grade the Trades

Markg
02-19-2010, 03:45 PM
All homerism aside please...

Bobcats
B
Solid B for picking up Tyrus Thomas, or rather Tyrus Thomas's potential. This could be an A+ someday - it could also be an F. Giving up Acie Law and Flip Murray doesn't really hurt, and a protected first rounder probably won't be missed. If anyone can make TT reach his potential, its Larry Brown. So overall a good day for Bobcats.

Blazers
A-
Camby fills a huge hole for them and they basically gave up nothing (Blake and Outlaw) to get him. Plus I'm guessing you'll see a lot more effort from the 35 year-old now that he's on a real contender. Throw in the fact that it's a nice 7.5m off the books next year and you've got a homerun for Portland.

Bucks
C
They get Salmons for Joe Alexander and Hakim Warrick. That's a pretty fair trade if you ask me. But considering JA and HW will be coming off the books next year, while Salmons will make close to 7m, you've got to wonder if this deal will be worth it. Bucks seem to think they can make a charge into the playoffs, but if that was the goal at the deadline..the semi-productive Salmons isn't exactly the missing piece.

Bulls
A-
The Bulls did what they wanted to do: clear just enough space to make a max run at the big 3 FAs, while still remaining competitive enough to take a 5-8 seed in the east. That's an extremely difficult thing to do in today's NBA. Though Bulls fans have been waiting for the blockbuster star trade since..forever, they've got to be very impressed with managment being able keep a solid roster while clearing a good amount of cap. Throw in Joe Alexander, who was the 8th pick just two years ago and a protected 1st rounder for 2011 and its got to be smiles all around in Chi Town.

Cavaliers
A+
LeBron has been pulling for Jamison for a while now, so props to the Cavs front office for making it happen for him. More than the solid production he provides this year, its gotta be a strong sign to LeBron that Cleveland still knows how lucky they are to have him and will do whatever they have to make him want to stay. It earns the A+ because big Z will likely be coming back to them for nothing. Not sure how Telfair will fit in the mix, but who cares?

Celtics
D
Eddie House for Nate "Puppy Dog" Robinson is one of the real mysteries for me. Nate has a tendency to dominate games (in a bad way) with a ton of often misguided energy. He's an extremely unique player who can certainly light it up when he's feeling it, but the Celtics really don't need any more distractions right now - or reasons why they are no longer contenders. They will be asking Nate to do what House did, so why not just stand pat? One of the few teams that actually hurt themselves without trying to at the deadline.

Kings
C+
Everyone knew they had to get rid of Martin, with Evans taking over the city, so good job getting some quality for him. They get some young production in Landry and Dorsey, but are stuck with Larry Hughes for the rest of the season, who will take some shots from Evans.

Knicks
B-
The Knicks were another team that was able to accomplish everything they wanted. Clear cap space, but don't completley tank. Some humorously low number (like 15mil) is all they have on the books next season. They got McGrady, who if nothing else will sell a lot of tickets and newspapers in the Big Apple. Eddie House will provide some veteran stability in the backcourt and Sergio Rodriguez should flourish under D'Antoni. So why only a B-? They had to ship away two 1st rounders to make it all happen, which seems to be the Knicks m/o this time every year. Pehaps they forgot how they got into the mess they are in the first place? Picking up the C's pick, and swapping with Rockets doesn't exactly makeup for losing their picks which unles they get LBJ will be higher. They also couldn't lose the biggest cap eater in the history of the game: Eddie Curry. But that was probably impossible.

Mavericks
A+
Haywood for Howard would of been fair, but Butler gives this team a 2nd-tier superstar type who can really threaten other teams while giving Dirk some double team relief. Haywood has finally blossomed and if he keeps it up will be a great C for the future. And all they gave up is the quickly declining Howard. Biggest winners.

Rockets
B+
Landry for Martin seems like a no-brainer to me. They've got someone who can replace McGrady's scoring, whose also still got his best years ahead of him. Losing Landry's solid production will sting at first, but like TT in Chi, he was very much a distraction. The biggest piece may be the two picks from the Knicks. This trade could really set the Rockets up for another title run in a few years, but until we see Martin in red and white we won't know for sure.

Wizards
C
Wizards basically just hit the "blowup button" and tossed their two biggest players whose names don't rhyme with Penis. It's tough to give them any grade because we won't know the full thinking behind this until at least the summer. Solid C for at least not throwing them away for nothing.

EDIT: List does not include the Brewer to Jazz trade. Didn't hear much about it..others will have to decide on that.
EDIT2: *DISCLAIMER* There may be other missing trade pieces to this post. There may also be incorrect information listed. These grades are my impression of the trades made at or near the deadline reflect only the information that I have researched - which I by no means assert as complete, final or altogether true.

Mavrix
02-19-2010, 03:50 PM
Penis Arenas lololol

xbrackattackx
02-19-2010, 03:53 PM
You didn't put the Philly/Bucks,Clippers Half of the Trade or The Jazz Trade for Brewer.

Don Starks
02-19-2010, 04:12 PM
is it fair to make trade grades before any of these teams even play with their new players? for instance, you gave chicago an A-, but neglect to mention the fact that they traded players to teams that they are competing against for a playoff spot. if john salmons ends up playing great and the bucks go on a tear to knock the bulls out of the playoffs is the trade still an "A-"? same thing goes for charlotte and the ty thomas trade. if larry brown gets a lot of production out of thomas and charlotte passes the bulls, that trade doesnt seem so good anymore. you see my point? its to soon to make these assesments.

Chronz
02-19-2010, 04:20 PM
I dont see how Hughes is going to take shots away from Evans considering they gave up Kevin Martin. Nor do I think Nate can possibly make the C's worse considering hes a massive upgrade on House. Landry was not a distraction.

sintaks12
02-19-2010, 04:23 PM
Why do people keep saying the Knicks gave up 2 1st rounders. They didn't. They have a pick in 2011.

Markg
02-19-2010, 04:25 PM
You didn't put the Philly/Bucks,Clippers Half of the Trade or The Jazz Trade for Brewer.

I honestly didn't even hear that! I mean I'm not an expert it was just my opinions and wanted to see how others graded the trades.

Markg
02-19-2010, 04:27 PM
I dont see how Hughes is going to take shots away from Evans considering they gave up Kevin Martin. Nor do I think Nate can possibly make the C's worse considering hes a massive upgrade on House. Landry was not a distraction.

I heard Landry had his troubles, but I'm not in the locker room so I can't say for sure.

Hughes takes shots away from EVERYONE..but that's really more of an opinion.

Nate will make the Cs worse - thats a fact lol. Anyone whose watched him play know that his pretty nice stat line doesn't make up for the fact that when he enters the game it is all about Nate..and in a very bad way.

Markg
02-19-2010, 04:29 PM
is it fair to make trade grades before any of these teams even play with their new players? for instance, you gave chicago an A-, but neglect to mention the fact that they traded players to teams that they are competing against for a playoff spot. if john salmons ends up playing great and the bucks go on a tear to knock the bulls out of the playoffs is the trade still an "A-"? same thing goes for charlotte and the ty thomas trade. if larry brown gets a lot of production out of thomas and charlotte passes the bulls, that trade doesnt seem so good anymore. you see my point? its to soon to make these assesments.

Yes agreed. You really never know until much later and I did not take into account teams competing agaisnt each other.

I'm not Bill Simmons and I don't get paid for my opinions. I wasn't really looking for people to agree or disagree with me..I was opening it up for other people to post grades in one thread because it hadn't been done yet.

Markg
02-19-2010, 04:31 PM
Why do people keep saying the Knicks gave up 2 1st rounders. They didn't. They have a pick in 2011.

You are technically right - they gave up one and gave Houston the right to swap picks in 2012 I think.

sacgiants1213
02-19-2010, 04:33 PM
I heard Landry had his troubles, but I'm not in the locker room so I can't say for sure.

Nate will make the Cs worse - thats a fact lol. Anyone whose watched him play know that his pretty nice stat line doesn't make up for the fact that when he enters the game it is all about Nate..and in a very bad way.

It will be very hard for Hughes to take shots from anyone since there's a great chance he won't even play for the Kings. IF he does play, Westphal wouldn't give him any PT. Greene, Casspi, Garcia need the playing time over him.

Chronz
02-19-2010, 04:37 PM

Landry is a model citizen I highly doubt hes causing problems.

Hughes had a 20.3 usage %, the guy hes replacing (Kevin Martin) had a 25% usage. He wont be taking shots away from anyone, Landry might but thats a good thing. He will finish all of Tryekes dump offs.

I dont see what the fuss on Nate is, hes the perfect type of player for an off the bench spark. The C's WANT him to come in and chuck. Its the role they had House doing but he became so inefficient that he started hurting the team. And I dont know if youve noticed but the C's Big3 are losing their ability to dominate games, they need a guy like Nate.

Markg
02-19-2010, 04:46 PM
Landry is a model citizen I highly doubt hes causing problems.

Hughes had a 20.3 usage %, the guy hes replacing (Kevin Martin) had a 25% usage. He wont be taking shots away from anyone, Landry might but thats a good thing. He will finish all of Tryekes dump offs.

I dont see what the fuss on Nate is, hes the perfect type of player for an off the bench spark. The C's WANT him to come in and chuck. Its the role they had House doing but he became so inefficient that he started hurting the team. And I dont know if youve noticed but the C's Big3 are losing their ability to dominate games, they need a guy like Nate.

You may know more about Landry than me..so I'll let you have that one.

I live in NY and am a Bulls fan so I've seen my fair share of Hughes. I don't care what the stat line reads, on 9 out of 10 nights he is selfish and takes terrible shots. Yes, having Martin around would've meant alot more shots away from Evans, but Hughes still eats them up too. And even using your usage stat, its a difference of 5%! If they hadn't gotten him at all wouldn't that have still been better?

As for Nate, you must have never seen him play except on sportscenter. He does dominate games, but it's almost always in a negative way. He has the audacity of Michael Jordan, but with only 1% of the talent. There's a reason why NOONE offered him a contract this summer and NBA insiders were quoted as saying his value in the NBA market is virtually 0.

Markg
02-19-2010, 04:52 PM
It will be very hard for Hughes to take shots from anyone since there's a great chance he won't even play for the Kings. IF he does play, Westphal wouldn't give him any PT. Greene, Casspi, Garcia need the playing time over him.

Do you mean Hughes will be released/bought out and that he was just included to make salaries match?

sacgiants1213
02-19-2010, 04:56 PM
Do you mean Hughes will be released/bought out and that he was just included to make salaries match?

pretty much. It's very likely he'll be bought out.

sintaks12
02-19-2010, 04:56 PM
You are technically right - they gave up one and gave Houston the right to swap picks in 2012 I think.

Houston can swap the 2011 picks and they got the top 5 protected 2012 pick. The 2011 pick is a wash imo because NY will have a decent enough team to make the playoffs... even if they strike out on Lebron/Bosh.

Markg
02-19-2010, 04:59 PM
Houston can swap the 2011 picks and they got the top 5 protected 2012 pick. The 2011 pick is a wash imo because NY will have a decent enough team to make the playoffs... even if they strike out on Lebron/Bosh.

That's interesting. Who exactly would be on that playoff-worthy roster if they strike out in free agency?

sintaks12
02-19-2010, 05:04 PM
They will cash in enough next year to make the playoffs... that's my point. By "strikeout" I meant the dream scenario of Lebron and Bosh. I don't personally think it's a strikeout... but the media and all Knick haters will crucify Walsh if they don't get Lebron. NY has options for the first time in a long time. The future is bright.

The Ooh Child
02-19-2010, 05:06 PM
Sixers:

A+++

Markg
02-19-2010, 05:11 PM
They will cash in enough next year to make the playoffs... that's my point. By "strikeout" I meant the dream scenario of Lebron and Bosh. I don't personally think it's a strikeout... but the media and all Knick haters will crucify Walsh if they don't get Lebron. NY has options for the first time in a long time. The future is bright.

Gotcha. Agreed. Not a stikeout. Not a homerun. More like a walk, lol.

DerekRE_3
02-19-2010, 05:13 PM

Hughes may not even play so it doesn't matter. He's staying in New York for now and rehabbing his broken hand. If people think the Kings will give Hughes minutes over Donte, Casspi, or Francisco Garcia...they are mistaken.

Chronz
02-19-2010, 05:23 PM
I live in NY and am a Bulls fan so I've seen my fair share of Hughes. I don't care what the stat line reads, on 9 out of 10 nights he is selfish and takes terrible shots. Yes, having Martin around would've meant alot more shots away from Evans, but Hughes still eats them up too. And even using your usage stat, its a difference of 5%! If they hadn't gotten him at all wouldn't that have still been better?
You have a point about him being cancerous, usually hes at his best when hes running the point and he wont get to do that with Reke and Beno around. That said 5% is huge, I dont care how many games youve seen, the stats represent facts. There is literally no way he can take touches away from Evans when the guy hes replacing was taking more touches away from Evans. Yes its better if he wasnt around but I dont even think hes gonna get alot of PT unless they really want two combo guards on the floor and that rarely works. He may be a cancerous player who makes players worse but your crazy if you think Sacramento would compromise their stud rook in such a way. If theres even a hint of him making players worse he wont get PT.

As for Nate, you must have never seen him play except on sportscenter. He does dominate games, but it's almost always in a negative way. He has the audacity of Michael Jordan, but with only 1% of the talent. There's a reason why NOONE offered him a contract this summer and NBA insiders were quoted as saying his value in the NBA market is virtually 0.
You must not have seen Boston, they NEED someone like that. Im not buying your negative theory, there is no way hes a downgrade on House. Imagine a guy who chucked at a horribly inefficient rate who couldnt defend his position and lacked the handles to play the position he should be playing. If you think his trade value was zero then House had negative trade value.

j0nyj0n
02-19-2010, 05:30 PM
Sixers:

A+++

agreed. Ed stef for Gm of the year

Giantwarrior
02-19-2010, 05:37 PM
Grades dont mean anything until the season pans out.

D Roses Bulls
02-19-2010, 05:42 PM
All homerism aside please...

Bobcats
B
Solid B for picking up Tyrus Thomas, or rather Tyrus Thomas's potential. This could be an A+ someday - it could also be an F. Giving up Acie Law and Flip Murray doesn't really hurt, and a protected first rounder probably won't be missed. If anyone can make TT reach his potential, its Larry Brown. So overall a good day for Bobcats.

Blazers
A-
Camby fills a huge hole for them and they basically gave up nothing (Blake and Outlaw) to get him. Plus I'm guessing you'll see a lot more effort from the 35 year-old now that he's on a real contender. Throw in the fact that it's a nice 7.5m off the books next year and you've got a homerun for Portland.

Bucks
C
They get Salmons for Joe Alexander and Hakim Warrick. That's a pretty fair trade if you ask me. But considering JA and HW will be coming off the books next year, while Salmons will make close to 7m, you've got to wonder if this deal will be worth it. Bucks seem to think they can make a charge into the playoffs, but if that was the goal at the deadline..the semi-productive Salmons isn't exactly the missing piece.

Bulls
A-
The Bulls did what they wanted to do: clear just enough space to make a max run at the big 3 FAs, while still remaining competitive enough to take a 5-8 seed in the east. That's an extremely difficult thing to do in today's NBA. Though Bulls fans have been waiting for the blockbuster star trade since..forever, they've got to be very impressed with managment being able keep a solid roster while clearing a good amount of cap. Throw in Joe Alexander, who was the 8th pick just two years ago and a protected 1st rounder for 2011 and its got to be smiles all around in Chi Town.

Cavaliers
A+
LeBron has been pulling for Jamison for a while now, so props to the Cavs front office for making it happen for him. More than the solid production he provides this year, its gotta be a strong sign to LeBron that Cleveland still knows how lucky they are to have him and will do whatever they have to make him want to stay. It earns the A+ because big Z will likely be coming back to them for nothing. Not sure how Telfair will fit in the mix, but who cares?

Celtics
D
Eddie House for Nate "Puppy Dog" Robinson is one of the real mysteries for me. Nate has a tendency to dominate games (in a bad way) with a ton of often misguided energy. He's an extremely unique player who can certainly light it up when he's feeling it, but the Celtics really don't need any more distractions right now - or reasons why they are no longer contenders. They will be asking Nate to do what House did, so why not just stand pat? One of the few teams that actually hurt themselves without trying to at the deadline.

Kings
C+
Everyone knew they had to get rid of Martin, with Evans taking over the city, so good job getting some quality for him. They get some young production in Landry and Dorsey, but are stuck with Larry Hughes for the rest of the season, who will take some shots from Evans.

Knicks
B-
The Knicks were another team that was able to accomplish everything they wanted. Clear cap space, but don't completley tank. Some humorously low number (like 15mil) is all they have on the books next season. They got McGrady, who if nothing else will sell a lot of tickets and newspapers in the Big Apple. Eddie House will provide some veteran stability in the backcourt and Sergio Rodriguez should flourish under D'Antoni. So why only a B-? They had to ship away two 1st rounders to make it all happen, which seems to be the Knicks m/o this time every year. Pehaps they forgot how they got into the mess they are in the first place? Picking up the C's pick, and swapping with Rockets doesn't exactly makeup for losing their picks which unles they get LBJ will be higher. They also couldn't lose the biggest cap eater in the history of the game: Eddie Curry. But that was probably impossible.

Mavericks
A+
Haywood for Howard would of been fair, but Butler gives this team a 2nd-tier superstar type who can really threaten other teams while giving Dirk some double team relief. Haywood has finally blossomed and if he keeps it up will be a great C for the future. And all they gave up is the quickly declining Howard. Biggest winners.

Rockets
B+
Landry for Martin seems like a no-brainer to me. They've got someone who can replace McGrady's scoring, whose also still got his best years ahead of him. Losing Landry's solid production will sting at first, but like TT in Chi, he was very much a distraction. The biggest piece may be the two picks from the Knicks. This trade could really set the Rockets up for another title run in a few years, but until we see Martin in red and white we won't know for sure.

Wizards
C
Wizards basically just hit the "blowup button" and tossed their two biggest players whose names don't rhyme with Penis. It's tough to give them any grade because we won't know the full thinking behind this until at least the summer. Solid C for at least not throwing them away for nothing.

EDIT: List does not include the Brewer to Jazz trade. Didn't hear much about it..others will have to decide on that.
EDIT2: *DISCLAIMER* There may be other missing trade pieces to this post. There may also be incorrect information listed. These grades are my impression of the trades made at or near the deadline reflect only the information that I have researched - which I by no means assert as complete, final or altogether true.

good job with these, i agree completely. the only thing i would change is the cavs down from an A+ to maybe an A- cause jamison is 33 years old and so he wont be effective for a long time and LBJ wants to play on a team thats gonna be effective for a long time and i might down grade the knicks to a C+ cause in my opinion the rockets swindled them and forced them to give up draft picks and they are taking one hell of a risk trying to get Lebron when i dont think Lebron is going anywhere.

bleedprple&gold
02-19-2010, 05:42 PM
Hughes may not even play so it doesn't matter. He's staying in New York for now and rehabbing his broken hand. If people think the Kings will give Hughes minutes over Donte, Casspi, or Francisco Garcia...they are mistaken.

Exactly, Hughes will either be bought out or stuck to the end of the bench. He is not in their future plans and was merely a salary dump.

avrpatsfan
02-19-2010, 05:44 PM
I would give the Celtics trade a B. Why? Because Nate is a scorer and he will help us in periods where we can't score (11 points in 4th quarter vs. lakers) In 1 month, people will change their mind about the trade

SteveNash
02-19-2010, 05:58 PM
Bobcats
C+

Blazers
B-

Bucks
B+

Bulls
D

Cavaliers
A

Celtics
B

Clippers
I

Grizzlies
A

Jazz
C

Kings
B-

Knicks
C+

Mavericks
A+

Rockets
A+

Sixers
D-

Spurs
F

Wizards
F

Wolves
A

Chronz
02-19-2010, 06:08 PM
Hughes is getting waived so its a moot point

http://hoopshype.com/rumors.htm

D-Will4Prez
02-19-2010, 06:20 PM
JAZZ F- :mad:

Markg
02-20-2010, 03:03 AM
the only thing i would change is the cavs down from an A+ to maybe an A- cause jamison is 33 years old and so he wont be effective for a long time and LBJ wants to play on a team thats gonna be effective for a long time and i might down grade the knicks to a C+ cause in my opinion the rockets swindled them and forced them to give up draft picks and they are taking one hell of a risk trying to get Lebron when i dont think Lebron is going anywhere.

Very much agree. Knicks are basically playing Russian Roulette for the summer. Someone else pointed out that they swapped picks with Rockets, so they will have a fist rounder next year. But still - its like they are allergic to first round draft picks or something. Theirs is one of the biggest question marks right now. If the summer yields two big stars..A+..if not F-..so they get a B- from me for now :P

As for Cavs: I thought for a while about Jamison's age and the fact that he won't be able to contribute for much more than 2 years at the most. But they deserve an A+ because LBJ specifically wanted Jamison. With every other team making trades to put them in position for a chance at BronBron, the Cavs made a move that told him unequivocally: "Ask and ye shall receive." Problem is - so close to the end of his contract, any team that had him would basically murder the pope if it would send a similar message.

Mavrix
02-20-2010, 03:23 AM
Bobcats
B

Blazers
B-

Bucks
C+

Bulls
B

Cavaliers
A

Celtics
C

Kings
C+

Knicks
B-

Mavericks
A+

Rockets
C-

Wizards
C

Toenail Clipper
02-20-2010, 03:32 AM
Here's one.
Clippers = F
Why? They give up Al Thornton and Sebastian Telfair, young players with potential, to a ****** like Drew Gooden, who called the Clippers and their fans f@ggots. Also, why did we trade Camby for Blake and Outlaw? I don't know. That trade don't make sense either. Also, why trade the All-Star Zach Randolph. You know, we could have been in the playoffs without Blake Griffin, but Mike Dunleavy is so full of ******** turd in his mind that he doesn't know what the hell he's doing. He said his purpose is to save money for the free agency. Well, no one is going to sign in a f*cked up organization like the Clippers, and also he's gonna end up signing crappy players as well. The Clippers organization should die.

robdog_5
02-20-2010, 03:40 AM
I think it's comical that people are questioning the Nate Robinson trade. I've seen him dominate good teams in a good way. He's a typical scorer, there are some nights he's going to be great and there are some nights where he's not going to give you jack. However if you have seen Boston play they have nobody on their roster outside of Rondo who can break a defender down off the dribble. All their guys are heady, old man games, or catch and shoot guys. They need a guy who can they can iso and get a shot or create a shot for somebody else. House was the PG of the 2nd unit and he's awful at handling pressure on ball, can't create his own shot (And this year Boston had a hard time creating shots for him...as his 40% shooting shows) and worse yet he is a horrible defender. Nate Robinson is an upgrade to House in every sense of a player outside of 3pt shooting and even there he is only 1% below Eddie this year. Not saying it's a A for Boston but he's an upgrade in every sense.

kblo247
02-20-2010, 04:06 AM
Bobcats (nice added size)
B

Blazers (Don't like Blake getting traded)
C+

Bucks (need to get rid of Redd)
C+

Bulls (I think Flip and Warrick are better than Salmons and Tyrus)
B

Cavaliers (they lost nothing but some chemistry)
A

Celtics (Nate's head decides this)
I

Clippers (cleared valuable space)
B-

Griz (made a great trade)
A+

Jazz (cheap idiots)
F

Kings (got the SG spot open for Evans and a big)
B+

Knicks (Donny)
B-

Mavericks (still need a SG)
A

Rockets (got rid of a guy who didn't fit Yao)
B+

Wizards (get rid of Arenas next)
I

Don Starks
03-09-2010, 11:41 PM
that bulls trade doesnt look so good anymore after they just got knocked out of the 8th spot tonight. and the bucks are looking real nice, which could be a result of the bulls trading them salmons.

and if you want to chalk up all this losing to Noah being out, consider that chicago traded T. Thomas (to charlotte, a team competing for the same spot in the playoffs) who would have plugged the loss of NOah really well.

that Bulls trade looks more like a C right now.

SteveNash
03-09-2010, 11:51 PM
that bulls trade doesnt look so good anymore after they just got knocked out of the 8th spot tonight. and the bucks are looking real nice, which could be a result of the bulls trading them salmons.

and if you want to chalk up all this losing to Noah being out, consider that chicago traded T. Thomas (to charlotte, a team competing for the same spot in the playoffs) who would have plugged the loss of NOah really well.

that Bulls trade looks more like a C right now.

Yep, looks like I was right in giving them a D. Bad trades for Chicago.