PDA

View Full Version : Could Dirk bolt from Dallas?

Ty Fast
02-19-2010, 02:34 PM
I know I will get a lot of flack from Dallas fans, but with him to able to opt out after this year he holds all the cards. Dallas is a good team, but I donít think they are an elite team anymore. They are an aging team and their window is closing really quick. And lets face it. Dirk is not getting any younger. He will be 32 when the 2010 season kicks off. Maybe if Amare leaves Phoenix that the Suns could sign him and he could run next to Nash next season. Or he could go to the team that beat him in the finals and team with the player that is most responsible for denying him a title and sign a max deal in Miami. Now I think the Dirk will most likely stay in Dallas but I think he should consider what is best for him, and that might include leaving the Mavs. What do you think?

Swashcuff
02-19-2010, 02:39 PM
I always saw Dirk as a player who would stay with one team forever but him leaving to go to another team with a great player like Denver or Miami (random teams i DO NOT believe this will happen) would be very interesting.

Melo15
02-19-2010, 02:39 PM
I highly doubt Dirk would ever leave Dallas. Mark Cubin always does whatever he can possibly do to put solid players around Dirk. I mean just look at his recent trade with the Wizards and the Jason Kidd trade a couple years ago. Dirk is the man in Dallas no chance he leaves.

clehmun
02-19-2010, 02:42 PM
so dirk leaves his aging team, to play with an even older team in phoenix?

abe_froman
02-19-2010, 02:43 PM
i doubt he bolts,but cuban trying to replace him with say bosh on the other hand...

The ChILL
02-19-2010, 02:49 PM
I doubt it. Cuban has always stood by Dirk and I am pretty sure he appreciates that.

defender4m
02-19-2010, 02:54 PM
Doubt he goes

HoopsDrive
02-19-2010, 02:54 PM
I almost don't see it happening but you never know. The man is hungry for a ring and Cuban has given him an appropriate team to compete with but what happens if he sees a better opportunity elsewhere this coming summer? Odds are he stays with Dallas (I give it 98%) but I wouldn't count out the possibility of him joining another team with better chances (this is key obviously) to finally get that elusive trophy.

DirkIsTheBest
02-19-2010, 03:04 PM
He should leave dallas if he wants a ring. Mavs wil never win a title with Cuban.

DirkIsTheBest
02-19-2010, 03:07 PM
I know I will get a lot of flack from Dallas fans, but with him to able to opt out after this year he holds all the cards. Dallas is a good team, but I donít think they are an elite team anymore. They are an aging team and their window is closing really quick. And lets face it. Dirk is not getting any younger. He will be 32 when the 2010 season kicks off. Maybe if Amare leaves Phoenix that the Suns could sign him and he could run next to Nash next season. Or he could go to the team that beat him in the finals and team with the player that is most responsible for denying him a title and sign a max deal in Miami. Now I think the Dirk will most likely stay in Dallas but I think he should consider what is best for him, and that might include leaving the Mavs. What do you think?

Dirk won't get a max deal. He plays no D and he is a terrible rebounder.

wileyisTOFU
02-19-2010, 03:13 PM
He should leave dallas if he wants a ring. Mavs wil never win a title with Cuban.

lol i dont know about that, a owner actually willing to spend money on his team in a league where few do?

Mavrix
02-19-2010, 03:34 PM
How're you gonna say they're "not elite" after the trade they just pulled for Butler and Haywood? You haven't even seen anything yet so don't make such assumptions.

That being said, Dallas's future looks bright for next summer as well having a big 13 million dollar expiring contract in Dampier they could use to bring in another star level player, kind of like how the Cavs brought in Jamison with big Z's contract.

Mavrix
02-19-2010, 03:35 PM
lol i dont know about that, a owner actually willing to spend money on his team in a league where few do?

Don't listen to her, she thinks Dirk is better than Kobe. Just put her on your ignore list like I did.

Ragun
02-19-2010, 03:36 PM
he is staying in dallas.

BaustinSali08
02-19-2010, 03:40 PM
Dirk won't get a max deal. He plays no D and he is a terrible rebounder.

I completely disagree with that. I firmly believe if Dirk were to leave the Mavs next year, which is not going to happen, that he would definitely get a max deal somewhere in the league.

Famous6
02-19-2010, 03:54 PM
nah cuban will win a trophy just maybe not with dirk

DirkIsTheBest
02-19-2010, 04:07 PM
Don't listen to her, she thinks Dirk is better than Kobe. Just put her on your ignore list like I did.

stfo. I don't like Dirk anymore, I really want to change my username but it's not allowed:(. MeloIsTheBest!
Dirk is way overrated.
Pau Gasol >>>>>>>>>>> Dirk

thedfactor
02-19-2010, 04:11 PM
Anything could happen, but Dirk's heart is in Dallas and he'll finish his career a Maverick.

DabullsDabearsD
02-19-2010, 04:23 PM
Id pay Dirk a max contract way before Boozer, Amare or Joe Johnson. To me if he was available Id take LBJ, Wade, Bosh than Dirk out of the available Free Agents.

DirkIsTheBest
02-19-2010, 04:28 PM
Id pay Dirk a max contract way before Boozer, Amare or Joe Johnson. To me if he was available Id take LBJ, Wade, Bosh than Dirk out of the available Free Agents.

Dirk will be 32 in the summer. There is no way he can get a max contract.
Boozer > Dirk
Amare >>> Dirk
JJ>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Dirk

FOBolous
02-19-2010, 04:29 PM
Dirk + Yao = the most lethal duo the NBA has ever seen

:p

FOBolous
02-19-2010, 04:30 PM

agreed.

asmarks18
02-19-2010, 07:55 PM
Dirk is never leaving Dallas. Cuban would sell Dirk a quarter of the team for nothing if thats what it took to keep him a Maverick. We just made a very nice move which I think will help us in trying to get past Denver to get to the WCF and then with Dampiers contract I think the Mavs will make another really nice trade in the offseason. Dirk is a Maverick till the end. If anyone else thinks otherwise you're fooling yourself.

Sinattle
02-19-2010, 08:01 PM
About as likely as Tim Duncan bolting from San Antonio...

MU and UW Fan
02-19-2010, 08:19 PM
The Mavs will never win a championship as long as Dirk is their number one option. Thought they'd figure that out by now. He doesn't play defense. Maybe if they got a stud player with Dirk as #2 option theyd win but as long as Dirk is there as the franchise player they will not be anymore than a good team who can't win it all.

Kakaroach
02-19-2010, 08:20 PM
I'm pretty sure Dirk has said a lot he is not leaving Dallas and that he wants to win a ship there.

mudvayne387
02-19-2010, 08:21 PM
Dirk + Yao = the most lethal duo the NBA has ever seen

:p

Unfortunately, now its going to be Jared Jeffries and Yao.

Mavrix
02-19-2010, 08:29 PM
The Mavs will never win a championship as long as Dirk is their number one option. Thought they'd figure that out by now. He doesn't play defense. Maybe if they got a stud player with Dirk as #2 option theyd win but as long as Dirk is there as the franchise player they will not be anymore than a good team who can't win it all.

They came within 2 games of winning one :facepalm:

It can be done.

Jays Claw
02-19-2010, 08:37 PM
Dirk Nowitzki will not leave Dallas. :facepalm:

blastmasta26
02-19-2010, 08:39 PM
He could bolt, but I don't think Dirk would leave.

MU and UW Fan
02-19-2010, 08:48 PM
They came within 2 games of winning one :facepalm:

It can be done.

Yeah one season they went to the Finals. Besides that they havent done much in the playoffs. They wont get past Kobe and the Lakers. You still got Denver too. Butler and Haywood were nice additions but still are a notch below LA.

MacFitz92
02-19-2010, 09:08 PM
Dirk will never leave the Mavs. Why would he leave a team that wins the 2009-2010 NBA championship.

PHX2daDEATH
02-19-2010, 09:11 PM

You are SO wrong

Dallas Average age (whole roster) 30

Phoenix Average age (whole roster) 27

Dallas Starting 5 average age 31

Phoenix Starting 5 average age 30

I could see Dirk coming to Phoenix..and with Amare possibly opting out.. and Barbosa and Richardson having expiring contracts after next year.. I don't see why it wouldn't happen..

Kyben36
02-19-2010, 09:32 PM
The mavs have done everything posible to get in a possision to win a ring,

plus, if I remember corectly, he stated himself he doesnt plan on opting out.

BlondeBomber41
02-20-2010, 04:47 AM
Simple answer.... no.

Thats why even though he is a FA this offseason you NEVER hear his name in any of the 2010 hype. Even those stupid idiot writers know he isn't going anywhere.

Meth
02-20-2010, 04:51 AM
I saw a topic here a LONG time ago, regarding Dirk saying he will NEVER leave Dallas.

Reason: he believed he almost reached a championship, and he wants to have the same feeling in Dallas. And he said if he went to another team, he would not have that same feeling.

Ty Fast
02-20-2010, 09:44 AM

it was just an example

Ty Fast
02-20-2010, 09:46 AM
Dirk will never leave the Mavs. Why would he leave a team that wins the 2009-2010 NBA championship.

i thougt dirk played for dallas not the cavs, lol.

JasonJohnHorn
02-20-2010, 10:22 AM
How're you gonna say they're "not elite" after the trade they just pulled for Butler and Haywood?

I'm not sure throwing out Butler and Haywood is saying much. They were two starters on one of the worst teams in the league. I like Butler, but I think Howard is as good a player, and Haywood has just not cut it as a legit starting center in the league.

No disrespect intended, and that move does give Dallas some flexibility at center (they are not entirely dependant on Dampier now), but still, I don't see that move "putting them over the top".

I would say that they are contenders, or "elite" if you would prefer to call it that, I'm not disrespecting that, I'm just not sure Haywood is the player that puts them there. The squad they had before the trade was already a contender in my book, and the Butler move gives you a player who is about equal to Howard and a better back up center, but they aren't light years ahead of where they were before the trade.

JasonJohnHorn
02-20-2010, 10:34 AM
The Mavs team has been tailer made for Dirk. Cuban has a lot of faith in Dirk (more than he perhaps should have), and has build his team around Dirk (or tried to at least). The Mavs have bee one of the most competative teams over the last ten years, and considering the faith that Cuban has put into Dirk, and the loyalty (and money) they have given Dirk, Dirk will not likely bolt for another team.

If he did there would be few options in terms of chemistry. A team like Miami, or New York or Chi-Town could sign him if he was a free agent in 2010, but none of those teams, outside of Chi-town perhaps, would have much in the way of chemistry for Dirk.

The Spurs and Lakers both have systems that I think would cater to Dirk's skill set, and SVG over in Orlando seems to run a passing game that would work well for Dirk, but those teams wouldn't have the money it would take to sign him.

I'm not a "Mavs" fan, I don't even really like watching them play, and I think Dampier can be a dirty player sometimes, but I do like most of the guys on the roster, Dirk, Marion, Butler, and as a fan of the game in general I think I would prefer to see Dirk end up retiring having only work one jersey his entire career. Like Reggie Miller and Rik Smitts, or John Stockton, some guys may not win, but they have great careers with a team, show some loyalty and patience, and if all the players of Dirk's calibre just jumped ship and went ring chasing, the playoffs wouldnt be interesting. The fact that the Spurs, and the Lakers and the Suns and Webber's Kings, and 2000 Trailblazers, and last year's Nuggets are around make the championship mean something. Like when the Rockets beat the Jazz, and the Suns and the Spurs AND the Magic to win the title in 95, it really meant something special, where as when the Nets made it to the finals with Kidd, everybody saw the Western Conference Finals as that actualy finals because the east was weak.

Having a deep league, with multiple contenders every year makes the game and the sport more interesting and it is players like Dirk, who even though they may never win a title, make the league more fun to watch because they show loyalty to the teams that show loyalty to them and provide true competition when the playoffs roll around. Well, excpet for that year they got knocked out by the Warriors.

save the knicks
02-20-2010, 10:37 AM
Dirk gets a max unless he decides to take a cut.

Dirk is in the same franchise/game changing category as Lebron and wade; infact right now give me Dirk over Bosh

Dirk is one of the best to ever play the game bar-non