PDA

View Full Version : If you were..

Evolution23
02-19-2010, 03:06 AM
If you were in the position of Donnie Walsh, would you have pulled the trigger on the McGrady trade? Did he make the right decision in picking up Mcgrady and 2 max free agents for the 2010 free agent class? Or did he give up too much in giving up Jordan Hill, the draft picks of 2011 + 2012. No bias.

magichatnumber9
02-19-2010, 03:15 AM
He did give up alot but he dumped serious salary.

Draco
02-19-2010, 03:31 AM
I'm trying to understand why Donnie has so much faith in NY's ability to draw FAs that he decided on a similarly Isiah-styled non-conventional approach to building a team. Obviously if it works then the pieces will have fallen in place in a much shorter amount of time. So in this re-iteration of Isiah-sytled GM'ing I'd assume Lebron, Wade and Bosh re-sign with their teams and maybe I'd get one or two of JJ, Boozer, Amare and whoever else is available. I probably won't be contending with that team but I'd give the fans something a lot more fun to watch than what they've had in the past decade. Would I do it? Sure.. because if I'm Donnie I'm retiring after this gig and I'd want to go out with a bang. If I get Lebron, I'm a hero.. If I get Amare/JJ I'm still a hero.. if FA doesn't work out, then at least I'm not as bad as Isiah.

_KB24_
02-19-2010, 03:42 AM
This was an excellent move from Walsh. They can now sign 2 MAX contracts, and who knows, TMAC may sign for cheap as well if he likes the place.

JermanJaysFan
02-19-2010, 04:06 AM
I would, but only because hes come this far already.

In other words, this isn't how I would choose to build a team, but since hes come so far already in clearing room for the 2010 FAgency, might as well see it out.

shep33
02-19-2010, 04:21 AM
I think Donnie Walsh wins either way. People forget how ridiculous the Knicks payroll was over the past 10 years. I mean the contracts really looked untradeable, but Donnie got it done. If NYC doesn't get anyone, they still win cause he actually got rid of so many bad contracts that its amazing. Yeah he gave up draft picks, but man 9 million for the McGrady deal was saved right off the bat, plus McGrady and Harrington's contracts go off the books (that's 30 million). Duhon's contract goes off the books too. Man the guy did his job in reality, they want to make a big push for 2 stars which is worth it, go big or go home. There have never been so many superstars in one free agency before, so might as well risk it.

todu82
02-19-2010, 09:08 AM
Yeah I think he made the right decision.

cheezinmypocket
02-19-2010, 09:22 AM
I would, but only because hes come this far already.

In other words, this isn't how I would choose to build a team, but since hes come so far already in clearing room for the 2010 FAgency, might as well see it out.

I voted no because of the sheer stupidity of trading away the future for an unknown off season move (hoping for 2 players to go there is a pipe dream). You're right though... he's already driven the bus this far off the cliff, might as well ride it to the end.