PDA

View Full Version : Winner and Loser

bears88
02-18-2010, 04:00 PM
who do you think is the biggest winner and biggest looser in today's trade deadline day and why ? I think the biggest winner is Cleveland with Jamsion

ombada
02-18-2010, 04:04 PM
Im not sure Jamison is a great fit in Cleveland, but it is appealing to the eye and they didnt give up much. I like what charlotte did to get tyrus thomas.

Loser has one less O in it.

HeatBBall
02-18-2010, 04:05 PM
if the Heat don't do anything then they're the biggest loser, sad to say.

Young2Kinsler
02-18-2010, 04:07 PM
Not to be a homer, but Dallas getting two starters in Butler and Haywood that play great defense is a bigger add than Jamison.

I think the biggest losers would be the Raptors. I got a feeling the deal they get for Bosh in the summer IF he leaves is not going to be pretty. With so many big names talked about this deadline, I figured they would of been a little more active.

king4day
02-18-2010, 04:07 PM
Bobcats became looser because they have more flexibility at the 4.
Winner is probably the Cavs and Rockets.

bears88
02-18-2010, 04:08 PM
The reason why I say Cleveland becasue they got Lebron James some help so thats the only reason why I give it to Cleveland

The Dream
02-18-2010, 04:09 PM
Knicks

SiteWolf
02-18-2010, 04:10 PM
how do we judge when we don't even know what all the deals were?

SteveNash
02-18-2010, 04:14 PM
Loser - Wizards

king4day
02-18-2010, 04:16 PM
Not to be a homer, but Dallas getting two starters in Butler and Haywood that play great defense is a bigger add than Jamison.

I think the biggest losers would be the Raptors. I got a feeling the deal they get for Bosh in the summer IF he leaves is not going to be pretty. With so many big names talked about this deadline, I figured they would of been a little more active.

I didn't consider it a deadline deal, but they are up there too. Probably just as impactful a move as the Jamison move.

DirkIsTheBest
02-18-2010, 04:17 PM
Winner: Rockets:clap:
Loser: Mavericks:puke:

Pierzynski4Prez
02-18-2010, 04:23 PM
Cavs and Houston winners big time

SpursEvolution
02-18-2010, 04:23 PM
winners-rockets
losers- dumb*** spurs!!!!!!!

man the spurs are so stupid for not getting Timmy an help. Spurs SUCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK KKKKKKKKKK

Romo2Bryant
02-18-2010, 04:24 PM
Winners: Cavaliers

Losers: Heats. Seriously when are they going to give Wade help?

Where's KG?
I think the biggest loser by far was the Suns. Cause now Amare is just going to leave and the suns will get nothing. It was huge for them to get this deal done. They have been talking about it for 2 years. Why would Amare want to stay with a team that doesnt want him there? I also think it's apparent he does not want to be there either. With Nash gettin old and Amare gettin outta town...It may be rebuilding time for the Suns

Romo2Bryant
I also like what Rockets and Mavericks did.

Omar Little
02-18-2010, 04:26 PM
Oddly enough, it was mostly winners at the deadline.

CLE- Just got better, I think Jamison will mesh well with LeBron.
HOU- KMart, Hill, and a couple picks.
NY- Got Tmac and his contract, got rid of Jeffries contract.
DAL- Got two good starters.
CHI- Got rid of Salmons and Tyrus, got cap space and a pick.
BOS- Got Nate, hes just a better version of House.
SAC- Got rid of KMarts contract and got Landry.
MIL- Salmons, not great but replaces injured Redd.
POR- Got a legit center they needed.

A lot of teams improved their situations here.

iluvsports2much
02-18-2010, 04:28 PM
well SO FAR... the biggest winner IMO is the mavs,gettin caron butler and haywood is a great deal for them and would give the lakers some matchup problems..

im gonna say the biggest loser is my lakers...they needed a defensive minded guard or a good three point shooting SF to spread the floor..so far the lakers got neither

but we do still gotta wait a few more hours for some last minute deals that werent mentioned or some deals that werent finalized yet...

Giraffes Rule
02-18-2010, 04:31 PM
I think the Bobcats made a great move getting Tyrus Thomas, and the Mavs getting Butler and Haywood (who I think is the better part of that deal) was also a great move. The Cavs? Eh, I don't know. If it helps them keep Lebron, then they're a winner, but I'm not sure Antawn Jamison is caliber player Lebron wanted them to go for.

The Wizards lost big time, but they're rebuilding so that's to be expected. I think the Knicks were stupid to give up a first rounder for McGrady. Even if he's "healthy," he just isn't the same player he used to be. A lot of his game relied on athleticism, now I think he'll be reduced to being a productive shooter on a team that's not going anywhere. At least if it doesn't work out, his contract is expiring. Still, giving up a first rounder in 2012 for a team that desperately needs to get better isn't a great idea.

Spurs also lost, by virtue of not making any moves. They're the worst looking team in Texas now.

Meth
02-18-2010, 04:34 PM
Winners: Whoever made a trade

Losers: Whoever thought they'll make a big trade, but end up not making a trade.

JerzeyFresh
02-18-2010, 04:39 PM
Winners are Mavs then Cavs then Rockets

PhillyFan001
02-18-2010, 04:48 PM
The Sixers are the biggest losers because they had a chance to dump two contracts but decided not to. The Rockets and Cavs are the winners because they both got much better

PHX2daDEATH
East Conference
Winner: If the Tyrus Thomas deal goes through I'm going to say the Bobcats are the winners.. Larry Brown will get the most out of Tyrus and you put him on a front line with Chandler and Wallace? We're talking one of the best Defensive front-lines in the League now.. Would not want to play Charlotte in the first round if I were Cleveland Orlando or Boston..

Loser: Miami, I think they're over-looking Beasley, they need a big PF like Boozer and Amare to be successful in the playoffs and as it stands now I see Miami dropping in the standings to 7th or 8th come playoff time unless Wade leads them on a miracle run..

Western Conference:
Winner: Dallas, Caron and Haywood are going to fit in just nicely with this team, Suns could of gave them a better game last night but they dont fair to well in the 2nd games of back to backs.. But I can see Already just having Jason Kidd, this team wont have any chemistry issues.. could be wrong though

Loser: Houston, If Martin couldn't fit with Tyreke Evans how is he going to fit with Brooks and Ariza? PLUS they lost, in my mind atleast, their best and toughest player in Landry.. No way Houston wins, Martin was a good scorer on a bad team, he won't fit with the Rockets believe me..

iluvsports2much
Winners are Mavs then Cavs then Rockets

i like the eagles offseason wish list you got goin on there...if they did half of those,then i would be a very happy man...

anyway, i think off the radar, new york just freed up sooo much space to try to get lebron or wade...

magichatnumber9
02-18-2010, 04:51 PM
The Cavs are the winner, because at the end of the day when James and Cleveland are negotiating they can say we got you help ie. Shaq and Antawn. Now go get your hometeam a championship.Can Miami tell Wade the same?

thedfactor
02-18-2010, 05:00 PM
Going with Cavs, Mavs, and Rockets

Jamison, though older and less explosive than Amare, I feel was the better fit on the court with LeBron and Jamison brings great character and leadership to the locker room. I like his inside outside game too. True professional and it will benefit the Cavs.

The Mavericks deal happened less than a week ago and the new guys are adjusting, but so far so good. They acquired two starters who will contribute big time and only surrendered Josh Howard. Drew might get bought out and return. They met their need at center and Caron at the other wing, solidified their starting group. Also got some needed toughness.

The Rockets...wow. If Kevin Martin can stay healthy they got themselves an excellent deal today. At first when Carl Landry was mentioned to leave, I thought it was going to hurt them big time. Now, they have also added Jared Jeffries, Hilton Armstrong, Jordan Hill (the Knicks 2009 first rd pick), Knicks' 2011 1st, top 1 protected, AND 2012 1st, top 5 protected. Just insane move by Houston, I give them huge props.

pistonsfanomg
02-18-2010, 05:17 PM
lolz LeBaby James will not cry like a Baby and storm off the court this season

I think Cavs will win it

PhillyFan001
02-18-2010, 06:09 PM
i like the eagles offseason wish list you got goin on there...if they did half of those,then i would be a very happy man...

anyway, i think off the radar, new york just freed up sooo much space to try to get lebron or wade...

I agree with the eagles list, I would be extremely happy if they get taylor mays and julius peppers

ldc62
02-18-2010, 09:45 PM
Winner: Cavs, Rockets, Mavs

Losers: Heat

NY can be in both depending on how free agency goes.

Fireworld
02-18-2010, 10:00 PM
Biggest winner is Charlotte for getting Tyrus Thomas. Small trade, high reward.

Biggest loser is the Heat for not getting anything done and increasing the chance of possibly of losing Wade.

NY can either be the biggest winner or the worst loser in NBA history depending on the summer. The only 2 way they would be a winner is if (a) They sign LJ, or (b) the sign 2 OTHER big names.

Mave1002
02-18-2010, 10:06 PM

Agree 100%

magichatnumber9
02-18-2010, 10:24 PM
Agree 100%
What could they do?

TheKing23
02-18-2010, 10:47 PM
Winners:

1. Cavs
2. Rockets
3. Kings/Knicks

Losers:

1. Heat
2. Wizards
3. Knicks

I have the Knicks twice because it's hard to judge the quality of their move until after the summer... If they can get two of the big free agents with their cap room then it was a hugely successful trade. If they don't (if they end up with like Gay and Boozer, not a bad consolation, but no LBJ and Bosh) the trade sucks for them... They gave up a helluva lot and if they don't get any free agent help those two picks will be high. Their lack of protection must be a worry as well... The first one (which the Rockets can swap their first for) is top 5 protected in 2011 and the pick in 2012 is top 1 protected. Could turn ugly...

The[chi][town]
02-18-2010, 11:05 PM
I think the Bobcats made a great move getting Tyrus Thomas, and the Mavs getting Butler and Haywood (who I think is the better part of that deal) was also a great move. The Cavs? Eh, I don't know. If it helps them keep Lebron, then they're a winner, but I'm not sure Antawn Jamison is caliber player Lebron wanted them to go for.

The Wizards lost big time, but they're rebuilding so that's to be expected. I think the Knicks were stupid to give up a first rounder for McGrady. Even if he's "healthy," he just isn't the same player he used to be. A lot of his game relied on athleticism, now I think he'll be reduced to being a productive shooter on a team that's not going anywhere. At least if it doesn't work out, his contract is expiring. Still, giving up a first rounder in 2012 for a team that desperately needs to get better isn't a great idea.

Spurs also lost, by virtue of not making any moves. They're the worst looking team in Texas now.

have you ever watched tyrus thomas play? i mean hes got SOME skills but hes dumb as a box of rocks

Mavrix
02-18-2010, 11:09 PM
Cavs and Houston winners big time

Def not Houston, they got worse. Their front line is trash now.

TheKing23
02-19-2010, 12:40 AM
Def not Houston, they got worse. Their front line is trash now.

Lolwut?

They got K-Mart, a legit 20+ ppg scorer, who will flourish with a healthy Yao next season (if Yao's healthy), Jordan Hill, an extremely solid prospect that could develop into a 15/10 and two draft picks that have a very high chance of being in the 5-15 category (dependent on the Knicks acquisitions this summer).

They lose Carl Landry...

How did they get worse?

abe_froman
02-19-2010, 02:22 AM
think i gotta agree with SI's list:

WINNERS

Cleveland Cavaliers
What they got: F Antawn Jamison, G Sebastian Telfair
What they gave up: C Zydrunas Ilgauskas, a 2010 first-round pick, rights to Emir Preldzic
Skinny: One can only assume that LeBron James pressed general manager Danny Ferry to acquire either Jamison or Amar'e Stoudemire. To Ferry's credit, he got the guy who was the best fit, a player who can stretch the floor and whose game does not necessarily conflict with that of Shaquille O'Neal when they are on the floor together. Plus, the Cavaliers may still get back Ilgauskas if he is bought out by the Wizards. A true judgment of this deal cannot be made until two things happen, however: The Cavaliers win the championship and James re-signs. If neither happens, then the move will have been a failed gamble by Ferry, who also gave up a 2010 first-round draft pick. For now, we'll assume Ferry knows something we don't know and give him the benefit of the doubt.

New York Knicks
What they got: G Tracy McGrady, G Sergio Rodriguez, F Brian Cardinal
What they gave up: F Jordan Hill, F Jared Jeffries, G Larry Hughes, G Nate Robinson, F-C Darko Milicic, draft picks
Skinny: The Knicks picked up a two-month rental policy of McGrady, which should give them an idea whether they want to bring back for a longer period what once was a phenomenal player. More important, the Knicks hope McGrady will become their third or fourth option on a multitalented team. By acquiring McGrady and jettisoning Jeffries, the Knicks have effectively dismantled the roster that Isiah Thomas haphazardly put in place and will now have enough cap space to sign TWO max players -- LeBron and Chris Bosh perhaps -- plus re-sign McGrady and David Lee and build around them with draft picks and other, lower-end free agents. It certainly is easier to get rid of players than to acquire players; we'll see how Donnie Walsh and Mike D'Antoni do at that task.

Houston Rockets
What they got: G Kevin Martin, C Hilton Armstrong, F Jordan Hill, F Jared Jeffries
What they gave up: G Tracy McGrady, F Carl Landry
Skinny: The Rockets picked up some pretty decent talent for a player who was not even in town, a shrewd move by GM Daryl Morey. What remains to be seen is whether these decisions were done for the immediate future, with Houston in ninth place in the West and currently out of the playoffs, or for when Yao Ming returns from his injury. Jeffries should fit in surprisingly well in coach Rick Adelman's offense, which has a proclivity for exploiting the high post, a place Jeffries can thrive. And Martin is, as he showed in Sacramento the past few seasons, a talented scorer.

The only problem is that Martin either has not been pleased with playing second fiddle to Tyreke Evans or, as Kings coach Paul Westphal said Wednesday night, his internal timing device has not kicked in after missing extensive time with a wrist injury. The Rockets can't afford to wait for that to happen if they hope to make the postseason. Beyond that, the Rockets gave up a promising talent in Landry, losing one of their best interior scorers. That is a void that will not be filled by Jeffries. Still, to add talent for a player not playing always helps.

Sacramento Kings
What they got: F Carl Landry, F Joey Dorsey, G Larry Hughes, F Dominic McGuire
What they gave up: G Kevin Martin, G Sergio Rodriguez, F Joey Dorsey, future draft pick
Skinny: I have to wonder how much of the Kings' decision-making came into play during Sacramento's lopsided loss to lowly Golden State on Wednesday night. Clearly the fit with Martin and Evans was not working, and Martin's body language was atrocious as he struggled to figure out a way to play with the likely Rookie of the Year. Earlier in the week, Martin told Westphal to keep the second unit in the game because it was playing so well. You can look at that two ways: Martin was being selfless, or he had lost the confidence to lead his team. Either way, something had to be done, and balancing their team by acquiring Landry, a low-post scorer, helps to do that.

Dallas Mavericks
What they got: G-F Caron Butler, C Brendan Haywood, G DeShawn Stevenson
What they gave up: G-F Josh Howard, F Drew Gooden, G Quinton Ross, F James Singleton
Skinny: Unlike their Texas neighbors, Houston, the Mavericks were able to double dip: They got rid of an unhappy player and added two talents who were happy to be there. Haywood and Butler must feel incredibly relieved to go from the disaster that is the Wizards to a serious title contender. Acquiring that mental upgrade should not be underestimated. Butler will replace the disgruntled Howard in a straight-up swap, but more important is Haywood's presence in the middle, where Erick Dampier often is missing because of injuries.

Portland Trail Blazers
What they got: C-F Marcus Camby
What they gave up: G Steve Blake, F Travis Outlaw
Skinny:The Blazers badly needed some interior help with the losses of Greg Oden and Joel Przybilla, and Camby is about as good as they were going to get. He can still block shots, he can still rebound and he can still hit that ugly jumper from the top of the key. Yes, he is a rent-a-player and is likely gone after this season, but he at least gives them the chance to compete in the postseason this year, where the Blazers are desperate to take the next step in their maturation.

Washington Wizards
What they got: G-F Josh Howard, G Quinton Ross, F James Singleton, C Zydrunas Ilgauskas, F-C Brian Skinner, F Al Thornton, future draft pick
What they gave up: G-F Caron Butler, C Brendan Haywood, F Drew Gooden (as part of three-way trade with Clippers and Cavaliers, without ever playing for the Wizards), G DeShawn Stevenson, F Antawn Jamison, F Dominic McGuire
Skinny: It's difficult to say the Wizards are winners given the complete destruction of their team based on the Gilbert Arenas situation, which could have been avoided with a bit more attention in the first place. But, under the circumstances, GM Ernie Grunfeld had no choice but to detonate this thing, and by getting rid of Jamison, Butler and Haywood, he has at least put Washington in a position to begin rebuilding under new ownership. Now the Wizards have to figure out what to do with Arenas.

Milwaukee Bucks
What they got: G Royal Ivey, C Primoz Brezec, G John Salmons
What they gave up: G Jodie Meeks, C-F Francisco Elson, F Hakim Warrick, F Joe Alexander
Skinny: This is sort of Winners Lite, but the acquisition of Chicago's Salmons gives the ninth-place Bucks a fighting chance to compete with the Bulls for a playoff berth. Chicago currently leads Milwaukee by 2 games. Salmons could help make up that difference. Plus, I sort of like Brezec -- which is like saying I sort of like clouds; does it really matter? But Brezec could be helpful in the right situation.

LOSERS

Phoenix Suns

No significant moves

Skinny: The Suns remind me of Carl Spackler in Caddyshack: They made a lot of noise but they got nothing done. Now, they have a disconsolate star big man in Stoudemire, who knows the organization neither wants him nor wants to pay him. They have a bunch of players who were expecting a deal. And now they have to play out the remainder of the season with a false smile covering their grimaces.

Boston Celtics

What they got: G Nate Robinson

What they gave up: G Eddie House, G J.R. Giddens, G-F Bill Walker

Skinny: Methinks the veteran Celtics players are not going to be fond of playing with Robinson. I don't understand this trade.

Chicago Bulls

What they got: G Acie Law, G Flip Murray, F Joe Alexander, F Hakim Warrick, future first-round draft pick

What they gave up: F Tyrus Thomas, G John Salmons

Skinny: I'm torn here. I know they are trying to free up cap space to go after Dwyane Wade. But I wonder what becomes of them if they don't land Wade. They have some pieces, but not enough. They are in the worst possible spot, always average, which never allows them to be completely good or completely bad. And by giving away Salmons to Milwaukee and Thomas to Charlotte, they could struggle just to hold on to their playoff spot this season. It all seems a bit hollow. Not to mention they are admitting that giving up LaMarcus Aldridge for Thomas and Viktor Khryapa in 2006 was a miserable failure.

Philadelphia 76ers

What they got: G Jodie Meeks, C-F Francisco Elson

What they gave up: G Royal Ivey, C Primoz Brezec

Skinny: They worked the phones for weeks trying to unload the contracts of Andre Iguodala, Samuel Dalembert and Elton Brand. Instead they unloaded Brezec and Ivey. Seems like they were just trying to justify making all those phone calls.

San Antonio Spurs

No significant moves

Skinny: They wanted to unload Richard Jefferson. Roger Mason is unhappy and wanted a trade. And they look old and beaten down. R.C. Buford is a shrewd GM, but this team needed some infusion of talent or energy.

Los Angeles Clippers

What they got: F Drew Gooden, G Steve Blake, F Travis Outlaw

What they gave up: F Al Thornton, G Sebastian Telfair, C-F Marcus Camby, F-C Brian Skinner

Skinny: Call me cynical, but does anybody really think that the Clippers can unload contracts in order to attract big-name free agents? Really, is LeBron or Dwyane or Bosh realistically going to go there? With their track record? They had all the talent in the world this year and could not make anything happen, so why is that going to change? And how many times have we heard that the Clippers are rebuilding?

Minnesota Timberwolves

What they got: C Darko Milicic

What they gave up: F Brian Cardinal

Skinny: Darko Milicic? Really? I guess the cash from New York is nice, but what are they hoping to do, revive his career?

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/w ... z0fxKWUZZL

Draco
02-19-2010, 02:31 AM
Chicago Bulls

• What they got: G Acie Law, G Flip Murray, F Joe Alexander, F Hakim Warrick, future first-round draft pick

• What they gave up: F Tyrus Thomas, G John Salmons

• Skinny: I'm torn here. I know they are trying to free up cap space to go after Dwyane Wade. But I wonder what becomes of them if they don't land Wade. They have some pieces, but not enough. They are in the worst possible spot, always average, which never allows them to be completely good or completely bad. And by giving away Salmons to Milwaukee and Thomas to Charlotte, they could struggle just to hold on to their playoff spot this season. It all seems a bit hollow. Not to mention they are admitting that giving up LaMarcus Aldridge for Thomas and Viktor Khryapa in 2006 was a miserable failure.

I don't think this writer understands that Thomas was on his way out whether or not the Bulls get a big time FA. TT out, Taj Gibson in. Simple.

And yes, they are admitting Aldridge for Thomas was a mistake.. is that a reason not do the trade? This trade analysis is weak.

Worst possible spot? Making the playoffs is what you need to do to be appealing to FAs. The worst possible spot would be not actually having money to spend and letting TT go for nothing... damn, please.. give me a job writing articles SI.. I could do better than this crap.

Impulse
02-19-2010, 02:56 AM
I'm not really disappointed in the Heat. It's a good thing the Cavs backed out of the Amare trade talks so we didn't have to give up anything/anyone valuable... we can just pick up Amare in the off season without giving anyone up; I don't think he'll opt in at Phoenix.

PHX2daDEATH
02-19-2010, 09:00 PM
Lolwut?

They got K-Mart, a legit 20+ ppg scorer, who will flourish with a healthy Yao next season (if Yao's healthy), Jordan Hill, an extremely solid prospect that could develop into a 15/10 and two draft picks that have a very high chance of being in the 5-15 category (dependent on the Knicks acquisitions this summer).

They lose Carl Landry...

How did they get worse?

They got worse this season..Yao's not coming back this season..Certainly they have a brighter future with this trade but when you got guys who like to score the basketball (Ariza, Brooks and Martin) it'll take them awhile to Gel.. I just can't get over them trading Landry.

TheKing23
02-19-2010, 09:03 PM
They got worse this season..Yao's not coming back this season..Certainly they have a brighter future with this trade but when you got guys who like to score the basketball (Ariza, Brooks and Martin) it'll take them awhile to Gel.. I just can't get over them trading Landry.

I only saw Landry as a scorer anyway...

He was only pulling down 5 rebounds a game whilst averaging 27 minutes... When you're only competing with Scola for rebounds a good big man should do a better job than that.

bigsams50
02-19-2010, 09:35 PM
I know this wasnt at the deadline, but us gettin Stephen Jackson this year was huge