PDA

View Full Version : Bobcats close to acquiring Tyrus Thomas

king4day
02-18-2010, 12:59 PM
The Bobcats, determined to add an athletic big man to their front court, are close to landing Tyrus Thomas in a deal with the Bulls that would send expiring contracts and a future No. 1 pick to Chicago, a person with knowledge of the situation told CBSSports.com.

While the source cautioned that the deal was not completed, it would involve Charlotte's only expiring contracts -- those of Flip Murray and Acie Law -- plus a future first-round pick. The Bobcats would have the rest of the season to evaluate the soon-to-be restricted free agent and decide whether to commit to Thomas long-term. Trading Thomas spares the Bulls the embarrassment of losing one of their best players through free agency with no compensation for the second year in a row.

If successful in landing Thomas, Charlotte would circumvent discussions between the Knicks and Bulls involving a swap centered around Al Harrington.

http://ken-berger.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/view/11838893/1?mcctag=Trade%20Deadline%20Buzz

DerekRE_3
02-18-2010, 01:04 PM
If anyone can help Tyrus Thomas and teach him basketball, it's Larry Brown.

Bob_at_york
02-18-2010, 01:07 PM
Damn this would be a good deal for the Bobcats. I wish the raptors could have gotten Tyrus. His shot blocking would help so much.

TheKing23
02-18-2010, 01:18 PM
Nice pick up if the Bobcats can get it done.

JayW_1023
02-18-2010, 01:20 PM
I just hope he can land somewhere outside Larry Browns doghouse by acting like a grown up.

DerekRE_3
02-18-2010, 01:22 PM
I just hope he can land somewhere outside Larry Browns doghouse by acting like a grown up.

Unfortunately that may be a big if. He's always shown flashes...but that's it.

pistonsfanomg
02-18-2010, 01:25 PM
I guess the Bulls going after Wade & Bosh

I think Wade will stay in Miami

Depending on how Toronto do I think Bosh will stay in Toronto it depends.
I can see Bosh in a Bulls Uniform but not Wade.....

But if Wade and Bosh was to join the Bulls

Lebron should definitely go to the Clippers.

Carey
Nice pick up for them, Thomas has all the tools, LB will be as good as anybody as far as harnessing that talent.

Pierzynski4Prez
I like how the article is quoted as saying that Thomas is one of the Bulls best players. Hmm, didn't know you condsider someone who doesn't start and hardly gets 20 minutes a game one of your best players.

BaustinSali08
Good deal for the Bobcats if this goes through.

AI4MVP
02-18-2010, 01:26 PM
i dont care what people say, i think Tyrus Thomas can still be a star and i love this deal for the Bobcats. They already were a very exciting team to watch, now theyve added to it. Tyrus is an elite athlete, shot blocker, and when motivated a good rebounder. Nothing motivates more then a trade to a team that is really trying to surprise some people.

Raph12
02-18-2010, 01:28 PM
The need a PF and I think Thomas will want to prove himself, so good deal.

xxcubs22xx
02-18-2010, 01:30 PM
Charlotte can have his inadvertent jumpshots

good riddance. Hes got the IQ of vermin

DayDreamz
02-18-2010, 01:31 PM
good deal for bobcats

northsider
02-18-2010, 01:33 PM
If he wasn't such a hot head he would have been a star. I will be glad to see him leave Chicago only cause it was becoming obvious that if theirs any chance for him to step it up its not here.

Cubsfan365
02-18-2010, 01:39 PM
I love how everyone trashes Tyrus when he is on the Bulls, but when he goes somewhere else it is a good deal for them. Now everyone is saying he has so much talent and could be a star, just proves how many Bulls haters there are.

Kakaroach
02-18-2010, 01:40 PM
Tyson Chandler was a bust so good idea to get TT.

masalex1205
02-18-2010, 01:42 PM
I really really don't like this deal. Murray is a perfect fit for the Bobcats, he's really our only pure scorer off the bench. A 1st rounder for freakin' Tyrus Thomas? Blah.

xxcubs22xx
02-18-2010, 01:43 PM
I really really don't like this deal. Murray is a perfect fit for the Bobcats, he's really our only pure scorer off the bench. A 1st rounder for freakin' Tyrus Thomas? Blah.

:clap:

TT = trash

Young2Kinsler
02-18-2010, 01:44 PM
I'm just shocked Chicago is trading Thomas. I like his game, but I know there are other reasons as well. At least they are smart and getting a 1st.

blams
02-18-2010, 01:45 PM
Damn this would be a good deal for the Bobcats. I wish the raptors could have gotten Tyrus. His shot blocking would help so much.

:laugh:

You guys don't realize how ******** Thomas is, and how bad he is at basketball. Amazing trade for the Bulls.

xxcubs22xx
02-18-2010, 01:46 PM
I'm just shocked Chicago is trading Thomas. I like his game, but I know there are other reasons as well. At least they are smart and getting a 1st.

why are you shocked?

- The bulls have a rookie in Gibson who has easily exceeded TT this year in minutes because of their play

Its a great move for the Bulls.

xxcubs22xx
02-18-2010, 01:47 PM

You guys don't realize how ******** Thomas is, and how bad he is at basketball. Amazing trade for the Bulls.

Right.

You might as well go find a dude off the street thats skinny, 6'10, and has never played basketball before. Tyrus is pretty much the closest player to that

masalex1205
02-18-2010, 01:50 PM
I'd rather just do a deal w/ the Knicks to take on Jeffries, Hill and draft picks in exchange for expirings or something;

I hate giving up 1st rounders;; Larry Brown is mortgaging this team's future

Stunner
02-18-2010, 01:54 PM
I'd rather just do a deal w/ the Knicks to take on Jeffries, Hill and draft picks in exchange for expirings or something;

I hate giving up 1st rounders;; Larry Brown is mortgaging this team's future

I told u the Bulls deal was for real i while back.

xbrackattackx
02-18-2010, 01:57 PM
I know Tyrus isn't the smartest guy in the NBA and that may be a understatement but he's not the worst player either, I like the trade for us and I think a chance in scenery could help him out. Flip Murray and Acie Law have been playing very well, And I guess Acie law will take Hinrichs Reserve Job if Hinrich gets traded in the next 3 hours.

nolin
02-18-2010, 01:58 PM
This would be a stupid trade for the bulls . how would this trade help then?

black1605
02-18-2010, 01:58 PM
any chance the bulls buy out Flip? he was our only go to bench player....not sure about this move

Young2Kinsler
02-18-2010, 01:59 PM

Your opinion is clearly very skewed with your off the wall evaluations. He's not amazing, but he's not the player you make him out to be.

Draco
02-18-2010, 02:00 PM
Turning a player who wasn't working out with the Bull's into a draft pick and two players with some utility on expiring contracts (heading into 2010) is what I call a good deal. Good job, Pax. Now turn that pick into another Taj Gibson like you did with Thabo.

blams
02-18-2010, 02:00 PM
Your opinion is clearly very skewed with your off the wall evaluations. He's not amazing, but he's not the player you make him out to be.

I watch every bulls game. He can't shoot. He is ********. He doesn't know how to play defense. He isn't good at getting rebounds.

He honestly has no upside with that brain of his.

xbrackattackx
02-18-2010, 02:01 PM

They get a 1st round pick, And Flip has been playing well. And a Reserve PG who's not shabby either. For a Player Chicago FO doesn't want.

Young2Kinsler
02-18-2010, 02:02 PM
Again, wildly, and almost ignorantly skewed. He has raw talent in areas, and he may NEVER realize those talents, but he is not what you are saying.

xxcubs22xx

...idk

When rookie Taj Gibson earns more minutes then tyrus...

He is the player we make him out to be. He sucks.

Pierzynski4Prez

Are you kidding? Anyone in Chicago would take a bag of peanuts right now for TT, let alone a 1st round pick.

Draco

Hopefully it's a win for both organizations with TT getting his career back on track.

BigWheel12
i dont care what people say, i think Tyrus Thomas can still be a star and i love this deal for the Bobcats. They already were a very exciting team to watch, now theyve added to it. Tyrus is an elite athlete, shot blocker, and when motivated a good rebounder. Nothing motivates more then a trade to a team that is really trying to surprise some people.

Tyrus Thomas is a freak of nature but he will NEVER learn how to use his athletic ability. His basketball IQ is one of the worst in the league. He came into the league very raw and did develop some of his skills, including a midrange jumpshot. However, he has no idea when to shoot when to drive or when to pass. He does not know how to move off the ball to get himself open. I watch every Bulls game and i dont think he will ever learn how to actually play in the NBA he will simply continue to rely on his athletic ability

xxcubs22xx
02-18-2010, 02:05 PM
So it is settled.

For those of you who do not know, Tyrus Thomas is OVERRATED.

His "potential" will forever greatly exceed his "true" value.

He is going to drive LB crazy.

Enjoy your turnovers, Bobcats.

Young2Kinsler
02-18-2010, 02:05 PM
Don't get me wrong, I know Thomas isn't amazing, I'm just saying there are two sides that are WAY to far apart from eachother on his real situation

JayW_1023
02-18-2010, 02:08 PM
I'm suprised them gnarly bobkittens didn't want to go after Kevin Martin...they need some scoring in worst way.

DaBUU
02-18-2010, 02:08 PM
Im amazed we got a 1st rnd pick for TT. He is being overrated, an athletic freak that'll throw down a monster dunk or monster block, but that usually becuase he left his man. most time than not, that open man will score. hes basketball ********.

blams
02-18-2010, 02:10 PM
Don't get me wrong, I know Thomas isn't amazing, I'm just saying there are two sides that are WAY to far apart from eachother on his real situation

You can't underrate an 8th man quality player. That is what he is. A bench player with little value.

Blackjack24
02-18-2010, 02:16 PM
I'm surprised the Bobcats threw in their pick. It's a middle 1st rounder, so it has some actual value.

Mr.Chi-Town
02-18-2010, 02:17 PM
i like it we get a 1st and 2 players for some1 who can only block shots and likes to swear at the coach.:clap: o wait and he can jump high.

xxcubs22xx
02-18-2010, 02:18 PM
Its official:

hang time headquarters -- it appears we have our first true shocker of the day.

Tyrus thomas to the bobcats?

Tnt analyst david aldridge: "the charlotte bobcats bolstered their front line significantly just before thursday's 3 p.m. Deadline by acquiring forward tyrus thomas from the chicago bulls in exchange for guards flip murray and acie law and a first-round draft pick. The bobcats beat out both denver and san antonio, who had both had significant interest in thomas. A source says the nuggets were trying to use guard renaldo balkman as part of a package that would ultimately land thomas, but were unsuccessful.

Stunner
02-18-2010, 02:18 PM
Again, wildly, and almost ignorantly skewed. He has raw talent in areas, and he may NEVER realize those talents, but he is not what you are saying.

stay a Dallas fan buddy, unless u live in Chicago or watch every bulls game u would knw wat this guy does, Jus cuz u watch Youtube videos and Sportcenter highlights doesnt mean u knw the player better than the fans who watched him sense the Bulls drafted him. Yeah he has raw talent we cant take that away from hiim , but he hasnt figured it out how to put it all together and u cussing your head coach out and doing watever u want on the court isnt going to help.

td0tsfinest
02-18-2010, 02:46 PM
Very surprising. I didn't think the Bobcats were buyers in this years deadline. Bobcats are getting quite deep. They don't got that perennial star but they got a lot of good players right now.

BigWheel12
02-18-2010, 02:48 PM
Its official:

Im loving this trade. We needed depth at guard positions and we get Flip, a threat from three and Acie Law who actually isnt as bad as you may think. We barely lose anything between Tyrus and Warrick. We also get a frist round pick next year, which is probably better then if we got one for this year because we wont have to use cap space to sign the player and this draft seems a little weak so far.

PG: Rose, Law, Hunter
SG: Hinrich, Murray, Pargo
SF: Deng, Johnson, Alexander
PF: Gibson, Warrick
C: Noah, Miller, Richard

We accomplished what we had to this deadline and didnt lose too much talent and managed to pick up a future first rounder. Next move is to trade Pargo...

TyHill
02-18-2010, 02:58 PM
Ive seen the Bulls and Tyrus play many of times. Thanks WGN. Tyrus has potential and its clear the reason he wasnt getting minutes was due to his attitude it was clear he wasnt playing to his potential due to his dislike for the organization as a whole. If anyone can coach Tyrus to his potential its Larry Brown..Tyrus' attitude isnt squat compared to the players Brown has dealt with (AI, Sheed). Seems very similar to Stephen Jackson trade disgruntled player who have a problem with the staff and FO. This is a great trade for both teams. Bulls get Flip Murray a very good scorer off the bench. Acie Law im not sure what ppl see in him..i havent seen him play since Atlanta hard to tell what he will do but I hope he gets a shot in Chicago. As well as a 1st round pick..

Now Bobcats get a big athletic player with potential (Larry Brown written all over it.) As for Bobcats fans im a little upset with the 1st round pick but we all know..we cant Draft(Adam Morrison, Ajinca, Sean May). Its better we do things through trade.

Bob_at_york
02-18-2010, 03:15 PM
I love how everyone trashes Tyrus when he is on the Bulls, but when he goes somewhere else it is a good deal for them. Now everyone is saying he has so much talent and could be a star, just proves how many Bulls haters there are.

I have liked Tyrus the last couple of seasons. I admit his shot selection isn't the best but I am not convinced that he can't mature.

Also I never said the Bulls didn't get a good deal. Getting a pick back and not taking on any long term contracts for a player they weren't going to allow on the court? That is good. It just is too bad they couldn't trade him during the offseason when he had more trade value.

homestarunner93
02-18-2010, 05:43 PM
Acie Law sucks. Why do you think he's good? He's not even getting minutes. Losing Flip hurts, but obviously LB has faith in Augustin and Henderson so pick up the slack. TT has potential, regardless of what the bitter Bulls fans are saying. If he didn't, then there wouldn't be 5 or so teams trying to trade for him. Even though you may not like to admit it, NBA scouting departments > your fan knowledge.

bigsams50
02-18-2010, 05:46 PM
Losing Flip hurts, but this trade should give DJ and Henderson some more PT. Tyrus is raw and im hoping LB can help him a little. I dont see Tyrus becomming a star, but i think he could become a good serviceable role player for us

td0tsfinest
02-18-2010, 06:37 PM
Acie Law sucks. Why do you think he's good? He's not even getting minutes. Losing Flip hurts, but obviously LB has faith in Augustin and Henderson so pick up the slack. TT has potential, regardless of what the bitter Bulls fans are saying. If he didn't, then there wouldn't be 5 or so teams trying to trade for him. Even though you may not like to admit it, NBA scouting departments > your fan knowledge.

its funny how when the hawks drafted him, they believed he would be their point guard in the future.

The Jokemaker
02-18-2010, 06:42 PM
its funny how when the hawks drafted him, they believed he would be their point guard in the future.

its even funnier how bulls fans thought ty thomas was their answer at big man when they drafted him..

Kakaroach
02-18-2010, 06:46 PM

its even funnier how bulls fans thought ty thomas was their answer at big man when they drafted him.. 2 busts being traded for one another.

But Murray is a good explosive player off the bench for the Bulls with the disappointment of Pargo.

masalex1205
02-18-2010, 07:05 PM
Losing Flip hurts, but this trade should give DJ and Henderson some more PT. Tyrus is raw and im hoping LB can help him a little. I dont see Tyrus becomming a star, but i think he could become a good serviceable role player for us

Yeah Im looking forward to Henderson getting a little more burn. Tyrus will def. get some big minutes w/ Frenchy being overweight and a huge ***** and all.

Still, the 1st hurts

op12
02-18-2010, 08:17 PM

agreed. the only problem is really tyrus and chandler both arent solid inside scorers. but hope it works.

FlakeyFool
02-18-2010, 08:47 PM
I think hes going to surprise people. Him alongside wallace and jackson and under the wings of Brown will be good for him.

effen5
02-18-2010, 09:26 PM
Tyrus has 1 double digit rebounding game ALL SEASON....take him hes a joke. He takes the worst jump shots in the world, he has this incredible left handed hook that bricks every time, he thinks hes a point guard and runs with the ball which always result in an offensive foul, he goal tends everything, he can't rebound for **** with all of his athletic abilities....**** Tyrus TAKE HIM.

TyHill
02-19-2010, 01:31 PM
Tyrus has 1 double digit rebounding game ALL SEASON....take him hes a joke. He takes the worst jump shots in the world, he has this incredible left handed hook that bricks every time, he thinks hes a point guard and runs with the ball which always result in an offensive foul, he goal tends everything, he can't rebound for **** with all of his athletic abilities....**** Tyrus TAKE HIM.

half those are on your coach...

pacofunk64
02-19-2010, 01:54 PM
He has no offense...Wierd but he doesn't. I think he can still develop though & a change of scenary could help. It is funny because he does have goaltending...a lot.

effen5
02-19-2010, 09:38 PM
half those are on your coach...

I heard LB already benched TT lmao

Edit: BTW, that would be coaches, both skiles and VDN hated TT.

black1605
02-19-2010, 09:41 PM
hes not shooting well, but hes playing good d, and rebounding

bigsams50
02-19-2010, 09:45 PM
Who said Tyrus was benched by LB? He didnt start but he's gettin his minutes

Ragun
02-19-2010, 10:25 PM
tyrus is playing good according to his stats

Fireworld
02-19-2010, 10:29 PM
Great trade! 9pts 12 reb 6 blk first game.

bigsams50
02-19-2010, 10:31 PM
Tyrus played his arse off today. And DJ filled in nicely for Flip. I'm lovin this trade!

AddiX
02-19-2010, 11:07 PM
Larry Brown built this team the way he wanted to, they are as much a contender as anyone in the east. As a Knicks fan I'm happy for Brown and I like watching the Cats. They play hard, play Defense, and don't rely on superstars. Thomas had 6 freaking blocks. This might turn out to be the best pickup at the deadline.

DerekRE_3
02-19-2010, 11:15 PM
If Thomas listens to the Brown he will be a very good player.

1-800-STFU
02-19-2010, 11:16 PM
Next game he'll disappear and go for 4/5/1

It always happens. He rarely plays well for a stretch.

bigsams50
02-19-2010, 11:19 PM
But Thomas never got to play with a good defensive team like Charlotte or with a good coach like Larry Brown. And i'm willing to bet he continues to play well for us

Cubsfan365
02-19-2010, 11:28 PM
But Thomas never got to play with a good defensive team like Charlotte or with a good coach like Larry Brown. And i'm willing to bet he continues to play well for us
Bet whatever you want, he is one of the most inconsistent players you will find in my opinion. And is he really your avatar??

ChiSox219
02-19-2010, 11:47 PM

I think he will play well for Charlotte, contrary to what Bulls fans say, he wasn't horrible with us. I hope he does well and based on his stat line from the first game I think Charlotte could work out for him.

KH12
02-19-2010, 11:58 PM

The Bulls are always one of the top defensive teams in the NBA.

ChiSox219
02-20-2010, 01:38 AM
The Bulls are always one of the top defensive teams in the NBA.

Not the last two seasons...

effen5
02-20-2010, 02:36 AM

Bulls was one of the top defensive teams under Scott Skiles, and TT was there.

bigsams50
02-20-2010, 02:36 AM
Bulls was one of the top defensive teams under Scott Skiles, and TT was there.

You mean his rookie season?