PDA

View Full Version : Do you think Lebron has a shot to join the Clippers?

pistonsfanomg
02-18-2010, 09:21 AM
You have to admit it, The Clippers have one of the youngest core players in the League.

Therefore do you think Lebron would consider going to the Clippers?
Clippers will definitely have the money to obtain a player like Lebron but imagine this....

PG - Baron Davis
SG - Eric Gordon
SF - Lebron James
PF - Blake Griffin
C - Chris Kaman

That would be one of the best lineups in the NBA if he was to join the Clippers. Also its a young core. I think Lebron should consider going to the Clippers if he wants to win back to back to back to back championships.....

Here's something that got me wondering... Could the Clippers go after Lebron?

This season is a goner, but at least they can look toward landing the free-agent-to-be star for next season.

The Clippers have made it official: They quit.

This season is over, the final 28 games just exercise, the only thing of interest around here whether the franchise's plan to rock the sports world and lure LeBron James to Los Angeles is as outlandish as it sounds.

They traded a bunch of guys for another bunch of guys, but it really doesn't matter who is coming here because eventually they will revert to Clippers form.

In the short term, things would have looked a whole lot better had they just made a deal for a national anthem singer who can sing, not a good sign when a Clippers game begins on a down note and the players haven't even taken the floor.

But nothing that happened here Wednesday night mattered save the future and the team's salary cap, an accountant punching in a bunch of numbers and then advising owner Donald Sterling the team will now be able to offer a maximum contract to James or any other worthy free agent this summer.

And what are the chances of Sterling spending so much money?

"I'd stake my life on it," General Manager Mike Dunleavy said in offering one of the funniest sports quotes ever uttered.

But that's where the Clippers sit, everything now riding on the courtship of a superstar, much like Kobe Bryant.

The Clippers came close to nabbing Bryant, which stands out as the franchise's only highlight.

It will be up to LeBron to free himself this summer, and if he does, given the NBA's salary restrictions, as of today there are probably only four of five teams in the position to give James the maximum amount of money.

The Clippers are one of them, and shockingly can make a legitimate case to LeBron that if he wants to win a championship, the Clippers afford him the best opportunity.

I type that, and I'm laughing, but looking past the franchise's reputation to Blake Griffin, Eric Gordon, Chris Kaman and just maybe getting something out of Baron Davis, OK, maybe.

They have to hope the few remaining fans they have buy it, too, the rest of this season now not much more than glorified scrimmages dedicated to improving the play of Rasual Butler and DeAndre Jordan.

The development of Butler and Jordan -- who they are probably doesn't mean a thing to most folks unless LeBron pulls on a Clippers jersey -- and then everyone will want to know more about LeBron's supporting cast.

"If you're a fan of a team, it's all based on what happens at the present time and the future," Dunleavy said. "The best thing an organization can do for you when the present isn't going to happen as you like, is to go to the future."

That's been the Clippers' motto for decades, of course, but is there any reason to believe them this time?

We begin with Coach Kim Hughes, the only thing remaining in his Clippers future -- parting gifts.

He began his fifth game on the job in relief of Dunleavy still looking for his first win, Davis out of the starting lineup because of a sore back, but certainly not from carrying the Clippers.

Hughes had to go with a starting point guard who just arrived in L.A. and has never practiced with the team. If he thought taking the Clippers job a couple of weeks ago was a challenge, the front office has just made it almost impossible to win the job, his own players knowing now the franchise cares only about next season.

"They must think I'm really smart. I might have to show them. I would prefer we had a more powerful team," Hughes said, and if he had a chance of winning the full-time job based on what a stand-up guy he is, he'd already have it. "My job is to coach the players we have."

But the truth is, he has no chance if the Clippers are seriously going to pursue LeBron, the next Clippers coach going to be LeBron's choice.

If LeBron sees himself as some global brand name, as some suggest, he almost has to operate out of New York or Los Angeles, Southern California also offering Hollywood opportunities.

He certainly has the charisma and confidence to play in the same building as Kobe -- in so many ways Gretzky coming to L.A. once again.

There would be lines to buy Clippers tickets.

Odd in a way, but it's still Dunleavy calling the Clippers shots even though he's no longer on the bench. If the Clippers are going to make a run at LeBron, it will be Dunleavy who does the talking.

He did such a good job the last time around with Kobe, he had everyone convinced in the Clippers organization Kobe was going to leave the Lakers.

He just couldn't figure a way to jam Jerry Buss' telephone and prevent him from getting in the last phone call.

Last time around Plan B after failing to land Kobe was Kerry Kittles, which suggests the Clippers struggle some when it comes to Plan B.

By the way, it's getting ugly here at Staples Center, the Clippers losing by 16, it's not halftime yet and the crowd turning on the home-town losers. Might be a good time for someone to make a LeBron announcement, and pay the tampering fine no matter what it might be.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
02-18-2010, 09:27 AM
Why WHY???

lebron will not leave cleveland this summer period!

close thread

Badluck33
02-18-2010, 09:29 AM
:facepalm:

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

pistonsfanomg
02-18-2010, 09:30 AM
Why WHY???

lebron will not leave cleveland this summer period!

close thread

hehe Clippers is in the Lakers division :P

But anyways I'm relating to the article.

icon1914
02-18-2010, 09:34 AM
I'm not going to say LeBron staying in Cleveland, where he ends up is anyone's guess. I think if us NY fans can dream that somehow we become a team that looks like they could attract James, why couldn't the Clippers do the same?

pistonsfanomg
02-18-2010, 09:36 AM
I'm not going to say LeBron staying in Cleveland, where he ends up is anyone's guess. I think if us NY fans can dream that somehow we become a team that looks like they could attract James, why couldn't the Clippers do the same?

Yeah
I'm not a Clippers fan but I'll love to see it happen.
I want to see how many Lakers Bandwagon fans will jump on the Clippers Bandwagon

Vincent33
02-18-2010, 09:38 AM
The subject line makes it sound like it would be Lebron missing out on a golden opportunity if he didn't sign w/ the Clippers. They do have some nice talent w/ Davis, Gordon, Kaman, and when Griffin gets healthy. Plus, Dunleavy isn't coaching anymore. Maybe one more talent away from actually doing something during the season. But I don't think Lebron will go to Kobe's town. Although it would make those Nike commercials w/ the James and Bryant puppets more riveting.

pistonsfanomg
02-18-2010, 09:42 AM
The subject line makes it sound like it would be Lebron missing out on a golden opportunity if he didn't sign w/ the Clippers. They do have some nice talent w/ Davis, Gordon, Kaman, and when Griffin gets healthy. Plus, Dunleavy isn't coaching anymore. Maybe one more talent away from actually doing something during the season. But I don't think Lebron will go to Kobe's town. Although it would make those Nike commercials w/ the James and Bryant puppets more riveting.

I wanted to change the subject line but I can't

I wanted it to say

Should Lebron Consider the Clippers?
Hopefully a Moderator can change it

Anyways it would be an intense rivalry if Lebron could join the Clippers

I want the Clippers vs Lakers Rivary to revive

Tribe
02-18-2010, 09:44 AM
Ya sure there is a possiblity...doubtful it will happen...Clippers have the worst owner in the league and Lebron would have to know that he would only be brought in to sell tickets...The clippers will never surround him with enough talent to win anything...

Draco
02-18-2010, 09:52 AM
I type that, and I'm laughing, but looking past the franchise's reputation to Blake Griffin, Eric Gordon, Chris Kaman and just maybe getting something out of Baron Davis, OK, maybe.

Or maybe not with a strong emphasis on not, considering the Cav's are the best team in the NBA and just got Jamison. Clips have to offer more than an unproven rookie PF, hollywood opportunities and "Global Marketing".

Stunner
02-18-2010, 09:53 AM
I could see that happening. That would be a top 3 team in the West for sure.

Lakers
Clippers
Nuggets ?

Pharoe18
02-18-2010, 09:57 AM
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo chance!

Why be the red-headed step child to the Lakers?

HouRealCoach
02-18-2010, 10:06 AM
OMG... He must hate to see how good Cleveland will be this year

Bucsfan
02-18-2010, 10:11 AM
I highly doubt it, would be very interesting, the west would be by far way more powerful than the east

I hope lebron stays in the east though, i dont think he will leave cleveland, and if he does he will probably go to miami

UD5soul
02-18-2010, 10:18 AM
Yea man, for sure. That's just the place he wants to go to win multiple championships. The F@cking Clippers. BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :clap:

jojoe1188
02-18-2010, 10:54 AM
i would love to see the look on kobe's face if this happened

G-Funk
02-18-2010, 11:09 AM
^ he would laught

G-Funk
02-18-2010, 11:09 AM
The Clippers should have change their name and team color to look more attractive

Hellcrooner
02-18-2010, 11:13 AM
its one of the places he wil consider.

i think the peking order in Lebrons mind is

1 resign with Cavs

2 Bolt to Knicks

3 Bolts to Chicago

4 Bolt to CLipps

5 Bolt to Nets

pacofunk64
02-18-2010, 11:16 AM
I think it's a legit shot. I honestly think the only thing that would prevent him from signing is Baron Davis. No doubt if the Clippers get Lebron they would be right up there with the Lakers. Look at what Lebron has done for Cleveland...& they are in CLEVELAND.

CrotchetyOldMan
02-18-2010, 11:28 AM
This thread is ridiculous...it will NEVER happen...the reason...two words...

Donald Sterling...

Sadds The Gr8
02-18-2010, 11:33 AM
About as much a chance as Kobe Bryant coming to the Raptors...and that is none.

#1Mavericksfan
02-18-2010, 11:37 AM
L.A. = Kobe Land

I don't see Lebron being able to live in the shadow of Kobe.

Chacarron
02-18-2010, 11:44 AM
I am the believer that the Clippers will be able to sign Joe Johnson this summer. He is the perfect fir for them (besides Lebron) but also more likely to sign than Lebron. Joe can take over the 4th quarter games which is when the Clippers have given away many leads.

Hellcrooner
02-18-2010, 11:46 AM
^as soon as Lebron put a foot in L.A it would be his town and a ton of bandgwagoner woudl jump out from lakers to Clips.

Please let it happen.

Bob_at_york
02-18-2010, 11:46 AM
Ever since Dunleavy gave up the head coaching duties, I have been saying that the Clippers are going to go after Lebron. I was also saying that beyond staying in Cleveland, the Clippers would be the best place for him to go. Think about it, they can tell Lebron that if he comes to the Clips then he has a chance to un-seed Kobe as the most popular basketball player in town. Whether it is true or not, does not matter, Lebron's ego would probably love the opportunity to try and achieve that goal.

Blackjack24
02-18-2010, 11:59 AM
But why take a shot at unseating Kobe when he would be totally uncontested in NY or Chicago or Miami or wherever else? In fact, in those areas, his influence would spread through an entire region of the country, let alone one city.

Sly Guy
02-18-2010, 12:05 PM
I would love to see leBron join the clips, if only to watch how many people jump on the clips bandwagon after what, 30 seasons of losing?

Bob_at_york
02-18-2010, 12:09 PM
But why take a shot at unseating Kobe when he would be totally uncontested in NY or Chicago or Miami or wherever else? In fact, in those areas, his influence would spread through an entire region of the country, let alone one city.

Because he is already un-contested. In Cleveland does he not already rule over most of the eastern conference? Also NY is not going to give him a better chance at a championship than the clips. Chicago and miami would both be good options but the clips would give him just as much of a chance if Griffin and Gordon develop the way they hope they do.

jimbobjarree
02-18-2010, 12:20 PM
doubt it happens. If he were to sign for a worse team he's more likely to do it in the East where he has more chance of making them a playoff/elite team quickly, unlike the West where there are 11/12 +.500 teams every year.

deepen03
02-18-2010, 12:23 PM
LOL joke of the year.. LeBron to the clippers my ***.. why would he go to this cursed franchise? He would probably sign with them and then break his leg the next day. I feel bad for the clippers sometimes. they deserve to be better. When Griffin went down, it just hurt to see that.

Draco
02-18-2010, 12:25 PM
Because he is already un-contested. In Cleveland does he not already rule over most of the eastern conference? Also NY is not going to give him a better chance at a championship than the clips. Chicago and miami would both be good options but the clips would give him just as much of a chance if Griffin and Gordon develop the way they hope they do.

Why wait for (and hope for) players to develop when Chicago and more importantly Cleveland already have a developed supporting cast?

deepen03
02-18-2010, 12:27 PM
^as soon as Lebron put a foot in L.A it would be his town and a ton of bandgwagoner woudl jump out from lakers to Clips.

Please let it happen.

or to watch him go in the air for a dunk and blow his kneecap.. lmao.. the clippers crack me up.. :facepalm:

deepen03
02-18-2010, 12:29 PM
Why wait for (and hope for) players to develop when Chicago and more importantly Cleveland already have a developed supporting cast?

yea he's not leaving cleveland ever.. I'm a nets fan and would love to see him in Brooklyn in 2012, but its not happening. The fans love him too much in cleveland.. And its his Hometown.. I wouldn't leave my hometown for anything. And its not like he would get more money anywhere else anyway. Do you know LeBron makes 25 million a year just off endorsements? He doesn't even care about a max contract that much.

Bob_at_york
02-18-2010, 12:33 PM

I already said that Cleveland was the first option. I said if he decided to leave I think the Clippers could be the top choice. I think their team could be better than the Bulls team. Mind you the Clips would have no depth but let's also not forget that they could be looking at quite the nice pick in the draft too.

pistonsfanomg
02-18-2010, 12:45 PM
The Clips' play for the King

They just wrote that up on the ESPN Insider

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/features/rumors

The Jokemaker
02-18-2010, 12:50 PM
Could he go to the clippers? Sure he could. Likely? No. LA is Kobe's town. He'll stay in Cleveland or NY. My bet is that he stays with Cleveland with another 3 year deal he can opt out of.

Bob_at_york
02-18-2010, 12:52 PM
Could he go to the clippers? Sure he could. Likely? No. LA is Kobe's town. He'll stay in Cleveland or NY. My bet is that he stays with Cleveland with another 3 year deal he can opt out of.

does a 3-year deal make sense from a labour strike standpoint? I honestly don't know which is why I am asking.

calibird707
02-18-2010, 01:00 PM
He wants to go to ny

$ NyC $
02-18-2010, 01:04 PM
so he can have career ending surgery? lol. Let the Clips get Griffin on the floor first.

$ NyC $
02-18-2010, 01:05 PM
Do admit though, would be a nice lineup.

calibird707
02-18-2010, 01:06 PM
Actually akron is lebrons home town and I think its hilarious when people say there is NO WAY he is leaving cleveland...he's a big fish in a small pond..I think he will be lighting up the garden 41 times a year...the writing has been on the wall for some time now

mser58
02-18-2010, 01:14 PM
That would be awesome, Clippers vs Lakers would take on so much meaning its insane!

MoBASS
02-18-2010, 01:50 PM
Mark my words.. LeBron WILL be a Clipper next year!

Lakers4ItAll
02-18-2010, 02:14 PM
I have been saying for a while Lebron should go to LA's other team. They would have the best surrounding team for him

Meth
02-18-2010, 02:23 PM
Why would he leave Cleveland and go to the Clippers? The West has a harder chance making the playoffs, while the East is relatively easier. Cleveland already has a great lineup and great players, but why go to the Clippers and start "rebuilding" instead of focusing on a winning a championship in Cleveland? Why not go to the Lakers?

Bob_at_york
02-18-2010, 02:36 PM
Why would he leave Cleveland and go to the Clippers? The West has a harder chance making the playoffs, while the East is relatively easier. Cleveland already has a great lineup and great players, but why go to the Clippers and start "rebuilding" instead of focusing on a winning a championship in Cleveland? Why not go to the Lakers?

Because with the Lakers he would have to play 2nd fiddle to Kobe. Because the Lakers don't have the cap space. Also I am not sure if next year's version of the Cavs (minus Lebron) would look better than the Clippers (minus Lebron).

td0tsfinest
02-18-2010, 02:54 PM

what so funny :eyebrow:

Out of all the teams pursuing Lebron, the Clips might just have best support cast. Not to mention a young supporting case. Lebron could come to LA and challenge Kobe for top dog of LA.

XD_MoNeY
02-18-2010, 02:57 PM
If LeBron even leaves CLE at all it would have to be to a team that is also getting or already has a superstar like Amare, Wade, Bosh etc

Bob_at_york
02-18-2010, 03:04 PM
If LeBron even leaves CLE at all it would have to be to a team that is also getting or already has a superstar like Amare, Wade, Bosh etc

what is wrong with going to a team that has an allstar center, a strong PG and two good young players?

WITZ
02-18-2010, 03:06 PM
I one word "NO" that franchise is more cursed then the cavs, If his goals really are to win first get paid later he isn't leaving for a team that has only 1 winning season.

Cracka2HI!
02-18-2010, 03:37 PM
On paper it makes sense and does seem like a good fit, but as a Clipper fan I can't see it happening. However I thought before Griffin's injury that if we were a playoff team or 38-40 win atleast that we had a chance. With what is going on now I can't see why he wouldn't just as much want to join the Nets or Knicks.

td0tsfinest
02-18-2010, 03:38 PM

what so funny :eyebrow:

Out of all the teams pursuing Lebron, the Clips might just have best support cast. Not to mention a young supporting case. Lebron could come to LA and challenge Kobe for top dog of LA.

Silent
02-18-2010, 04:02 PM
If he leaves no way he leaves for the clippers hahahahahahahah

Raph12
02-18-2010, 04:28 PM
What if they land the #1 pick?... I'd say trade Baron for a couple of solid role players.