PDA

View Full Version : How are the best teams in the league able to trade for great players wo givin up any1

CowboysKB24
02-18-2010, 03:09 AM
It is not making sense.

Celtics are the worst team in the league... yet have the talent to trade for KG and Ray Allen in the same off-season.

Lakers trade for Gasol was ridiculous. Critt and Kwame and 1st rounder for Gasol? I mean who would do that? Although Marc Gasol is turning into a great player, but no one knew that.

Cavs get Shaq for the worst players. Cavs were in talks for Amare and were close to getting him. Now the Cavs get Jamison and gave up Z... who they are going to get back...

Carter somehow ends up in Orlando for Courtney Lee and some other scrubs.

Something fishy is going on around here. What is going on? It is getting ridiculous.

DenButsu
02-18-2010, 03:11 AM
The decks are stacked.

The playing field is not level.

Fairness does not exist in the world of NBA trading. It's all set up to benefit the big markets and star players.

GspLAL
02-18-2010, 03:18 AM
NBA is not a TEAM league like the NFL, it's about the super star players and they will do anything to promote those players, which means surrounding them with players so they win.

Raph12
02-18-2010, 03:18 AM
Ask the Yankees

leftymo
02-18-2010, 03:19 AM
The Gasol deal was fair...

Kwame was 8 million in expiring contract, which is an incentive for teams.

Two first round picks, not one.

Javaris was a PG that Memphis dealt before they could develop him, and lastly Marc Gasol who Memphis required in the deal. Without Marc, the trade would never have happened.

xabial
02-18-2010, 03:21 AM
Thanks "We owe ya one!" I was thinking the same exact thing. Im still waiting for Igouadala For JJ Hickson+Scrubs.

THE MTL
02-18-2010, 03:22 AM
Cause they are the only teams trying to become better while everyone else is trying to become worst and prepare for the pipedream of 2010.

But meanwhile....teams like the Mavs RAPED everyone in the process. They traded nothing for: Jason Kidd, Caron Butler, Brendan Haywood.

DenButsu
02-18-2010, 03:22 AM
The Gasol deal was fair...

While it looks a little fairer now than it did then due to Marc playing well, please still allow me to say...

:laugh: :laugh2: :laugh: :laugh2: :laugh:

The Dream
02-18-2010, 03:24 AM
The OP must be 12

RaptorsFanatic
02-18-2010, 03:25 AM
Just like the above mentioned. The league will do many things to get the top players in a position to win and increase publicity. Even though Big Z left, reports are he will be back in Cleveland within 30 days, so yup, essentially the Cavaliers did not give up much for a solid PF in Jamison.

I completely agree, the league is getting out of hand with these trades and I do not seem to understand how the bigger label will always get the bigger reward.

xabial
02-18-2010, 03:27 AM
Cause they are the only teams trying to become better while everyone else is trying to become worst and prepare for the pipedream of 2010.

But meanwhile....teams like the Mavs RAPED everyone in the process. They traded nothing for: Jason Kidd, Caron Butler, Brendan Haywood.

According to HoopsHype that was the Mavs GM worst deal of his career. Devin Harris was an all star last year, is young in his 20s, and you trade him for an aging Kidd. Dont forget Harris got the Most improved player award. Kidd is one of those pple whose Name sounds good, but in reality hes old.
Sure Devin's team is 5-49, But he cant do everything himself because management is putting everything on 2010.

With that Said, However Most of these NBA Deadline trades make you scratch your head. Jamison for Big Z + 1st rounder is a real head scratcher. I love NBA trades but when you think about it Damn its unfair.

RaptorsFanatic
02-18-2010, 03:31 AM
The NBA is a joke. I am tired of seeing the usual teams get better and better, of course, we are lucky that this league is not like MLB, or it would be much worse, but I really hate seeing these lopsided trades where the already talented team always wins.

tredigs
02-18-2010, 03:56 AM
Just like the above mentioned. The league will do many things to get the top players in a position to win and increase publicity. Even though Big Z left, reports are he will be back in Cleveland within 30 days, so yup, essentially the Cavaliers did not give up much for a solid PF in Jamison.

I completely agree, the league is getting out of hand with these trades and I do not seem to understand how the bigger label will always get the bigger reward.

What exactly do you mean, "THE LEAGUE"? The league is not a person, you are talking like a tinfoil hat wearing nut right now. It's simply a matter of teams that are trying to get better now w/ better GM's against teams that are building for the future and or trying to save money and/or have worse GM's.

The Lakers will be paying out of their *** this year on salaries. 21million just in luxury tax. But guess what? Buss wants to win now, and was willing to pay for it. Not every team has that type of owner.

The Conspiracy theory bull **** needs to go. This isn't tough to understand if you spend a little time looking into it.

RaptorsFanatic
02-18-2010, 04:00 AM
What exactly do you mean, "THE LEAGUE"? The league is not a person, you are talking like a tinfoil hat wearing nut right now. It's simply a matter of teams that are trying to get better now w/ better GM's against teams that are building for the future and or trying to save money and/or have worse GM's.

The Lakers will be paying out of their *** this year on salaries. 21million just in luxury tax. But guess what? Buss wants to win now, and was willing to pay for it. Not every team has that type of owner.

The Conspiracy theory bull **** needs to go. This isn't tough to understand if you spend a little time looking into it.

Nice try. :eyebrow:

tredigs
02-18-2010, 04:03 AM
Nice try. :eyebrow:

With what? What about this don't you get?

This is coming from a Warrior fan, with a HORRIBLE GM. I know how the league works, learn about it...

Chronz
02-18-2010, 04:39 AM
Because bad teams can lose games without spending alot of money on players, so why pay big bucks when your losing?

Jaji
02-18-2010, 04:39 AM
The decks are stacked.

The playing field is not level.

Fairness does not exist in the world of NBA trading. It's all set up to benefit the big markets and star players.

Ask the Yankees

^^^ Besides these 2 answers... In reality its all about money. These guys who get traded usually have big contracts. Makes sense cause they're good players, right? By trading them away, a team can clear up a lot of cap space. So who would want these players with huge salaries? Usually a contender who doesn't need that much cap space because they have a solid team and aren't looking to make a splash in FA. However, they may be looking for one final piece to their championship puzzle. The bigger the better.

So for the team giving up the star, they put themselves in position to have a lot of available money to spend on new players since obviously it wasn't working.

Sometimes you see teams trade for washed up players with max deals because they have what's called an "expiring" contract. That means they they are in the last year of that huge contract so when it expires, all that money is taken off the books and converted to cap space. This is why the Knicks are trying to get Tracy McGrady now. That will enable them to clear up a whole lot of cap space in one transaction.

Tribe
02-18-2010, 10:10 AM
Its called clearing cap space...for the potential to sign free agents the following year...not that difficult to understand really...2010 is marked to be one of the greatest free agent periods of all time with lebron, bosh, wade, and many other all star calibur players free to sign with whoever they choose...but alot of teams will have alot of money to spend with nobody to spend it on...so we can point and laugh next year

JasonJohnHorn
02-18-2010, 10:20 AM
Generally speaking, teams that do well have fans, and fans spend money and generate revenue which allows the to absorb huge contracts that teams who aren't doing well are seeking to dump contracts and rebuild.

The league is in a place right now where teams make moves based on money and not based on talent.

mynameismo
02-18-2010, 10:26 AM
One word. "Money"

Hellcrooner
02-18-2010, 10:32 AM
Lol i wonder how people has the balls to still go and say the trade for gasol is still unfair because "nobody" knew Marc Gasol was any good.

Man EVERYBODY IN EUROPE knew.

And the fact that american fans ignored him does not mean that the PROFESSIONAL SCOUTS on NBA TEAMS who GET PAID MONEY to know this things didnt KNOW.

Draco
02-18-2010, 10:37 AM
Just to emphasize a point that a few people already touched on...

All of those players mentioned by the OP are signed to contracts worth more than the player was worth to their original teams (MN, PHX, MEM, WAS). I'm guessing they were signed to big contracts with the hope that the franchise would be able to build around them.. and that didn't happen. (save Shaq, whose contract was Mia's problem before they made it someone elses) Consequently they were traded to contenders (or teams that figured to be contenders because they had a major piece and/or a some trades in place such as Kobe, Pierce, Ray, etc) that could better justify absorbing those large contracts. Hopefully Stern will be able to fix this problem with a new CBA.

nrwskinny
02-18-2010, 10:39 AM
I can't even make trades like these on 2K10!!!!!!
Dallas, Boston, and Cleveland are all getting desperate--they have been in the "trade news" since the beginning. People like Mark Cuban always will continue to makes trades that look good on paper, but backfire later down the road.....
Boston just wants to make a trade just to make one--their window has closed nad they are stuck with Ray Allen and KG's huge contracts....
No way Cleveland will be able to afford this "star power" next year.

MAC10TIZZY
02-18-2010, 10:59 AM
Carter somehow ends up in Orlando for Courtney Lee and some other scrubs.

Something fishy is going on around here. What is going on? It is getting ridiculous.[/QUOTE]

a promising c.lee, rafer alston(who led us to the finals), an expiring contract of tony batie for an aging vince carter????? SMH

DaBUU
02-18-2010, 11:15 AM
Its been true for a while, going all the way back to the Knicks getting Ewing. The Knicks card was frozen thats how Stern knew to pick it. We got DRose when we didnt deserve the #1 pick, so I can't be a hypocrite.

Markg
02-18-2010, 11:20 AM
Bill Simmons actually lamented on this topic in a recent article a few days ago. I hate his writing with the fire of a thousand suns..but he sums it up pretty well.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/100208/one

The bulk of his explaination:

These trades happen all the time now: Teams making lopsided deals to clear cap space so they can overpay other players. Last season, Detroit gave away Chauncey Billups so it could spend $95 million on two bench players. This season, Washington turned two of its top four and the No. 5 pick of the 2009 draft into a slew of expiring 2010 contracts. Right now, Phoenix is reportedly mulling over a trade in which it would turn Amar'e Stoudemire into J.J. Hickson, Zydrunas Ilgauskas' expiring contract and the 30th pick in the 2010 draft, or as Suns fans call it, "The Poop Bouillabaisse." Every deal is the same: Team A wants to save money; Team B will only take on money if it pillages Team A in the deal. That's how we knew the Granger-Jefferson rumor was fake. Teams don't make old-school trades in the National Basketball Association any more.

The other answer is that many owners understand all-too-well (as do corporations and various companies) that they can make still money while putting out an inferior product. Owners generally do not care about winning championships, they care about making money. Once the cost-benefit ratio of keeping a player becomes a little thin, they firesale to save money and start all over again. That's why owners like Mark Cuban and George Stienbrener (however douchy) are so special...they genuinely care about winning. Look at the Bulls, they've lead or been leaders in ticket sales every year since Jordan even though they've had only a few winning seasons. I'm not directly implying that J. Reinsdorf doesn't care about winning, but he is certainly one of the cheapest owners in both baseball and basketball.

Markg
02-18-2010, 11:22 AM
Its been true for a while, going all the way back to the Knicks getting Ewing. The Knicks card was frozen thats how Stern knew to pick it. We got DRose when we didnt deserve the #1 pick, so I can't be a hypocrite.

I don't understand...what does the lottery have to do with unbalanced trades? And what do you mean by frozen?

twoearl
02-18-2010, 11:31 AM
NBA is not a TEAM league like the NFL, it's about the super star players and they will do anything to promote those players, which means surrounding them with players so they win.

Yup, this basically sums it up right here. Oh dont worry Dwade is about to get a gift real soon too. I guarantee he will be playing with bosh or amare next year.

jimbobjarree
02-18-2010, 11:31 AM
its a continuous cycle. Poor teams want to clear the books because what they had isnt working. Big teams are the only ones who can afford to take on salary and it being worth it as they have a shot of winning with this player. Poor teams then have cap space and sign a player to a big contract who doesnt deserve it, and the cycle starts again.

bringinwood
02-18-2010, 12:24 PM
It seems stacked, but in all reality, it's not as bad as one would think...

Are the Cavs playing in a big market ??? No....

Magic ??? No... Most of their marketing power get's swallowed up by the heat...

Trailerblazers ??? No... Most of their market gets swallowed up by the Lakers, Clippers, and Warriors... They have Portland, but outside of that, most are Lakers fans...

Nuggets ??? No... Denver is a football first city, baseball and hockey second and third respectively...

Raptors ???

Hawks ???

If you don't allow for contracts to get traded, you will have teams going bankrupted... These teams can't afford to pay these guys, while they stay mediocre or bad, have no fans coming out to see the teams, and will go into the luxury tax if they attempt to make a trade to improve their teams...

These teams have all drafted well... Good drafts equate to good teams, which in turn equate to fans coming out to see the games...

From the beginning to the end, the management of the game is simple... Draft well...

The Lakers, for all the flack they take, draft extremely well...
The Sixer's and Knicks don't... All three play in big markets....

DaBUU
02-18-2010, 12:30 PM
I don't understand...what does the lottery have to do with unbalanced trades? And what do you mean by frozen?

I meant the NBA as a whole seems to favor stars and teams in big markets. Same thing the ref wrote in his book, NBA is fixed. And theres a rumor that the year the Knicks won the lottery and got Patrick Ewing it was fixed. Stern was blindly picking the envelopes to determine the order of the draft, rumor has that the Knicks envelope was frozen so he knew which one it was so he could pick it last, that way the Knicks could pick Ewing.

Giaps
02-18-2010, 12:37 PM
It's the GM relationships. Kerr and Ferry are friends with Kerr being the crappiest of the 2. Ferry gets what he wants.

McHale and Ainge are friends with McHale being the crappiest of the 2.. catching my drift???