PDA

View Full Version : Danny Ferry is a beast

RaysFan
02-18-2010, 12:01 AM
Look at what he did over the last 9 months..

Out
-Ben Wallace
-Sasha Pavlovic
-Wally Z

In
-Shaq O'Neal
-Anthony Parker
-Jamario Moon
-Leon Powe
-Antawn Jamison

That is a great job of re-vamping what was already a 66 win team. I don't know what LeBron will do in the summer, but if he leaves Cleveland then nobody can say that he cares about winning. Danny Ferry is a very smart GM and Dan Gilbert is willing to spend money.

JordansBulls
02-18-2010, 12:03 AM

Out
-Ben Wallace
-Sasha Pavlovic
-Wally Z

In
-Shaq O'Neal
-Anthony Parker
-Jamario Moon
-Leon Powe
-Antawn Jamison

That is a great job of re-vamping what was already a 66 win team. I don't know what LeBron will do in the summer, but if he leaves Cleveland then nobody can say that he cares about winning. Danny Ferry is a very smart GM and Dan Gilbert is willing to spend money.

Should be easy to make deals when you got a top 3 player in the league.

TheKing23
02-18-2010, 12:06 AM
Should be easy to make deals when you got a top 3 player in the league.

Well clearly not if you look at Miami...

TheKing23
02-18-2010, 12:08 AM
Great to see Danny Ferry get some love.

Not only has he done a great job of acquiring the players, he's also be a fantastic judge of character in helping set up a team that has no conflicting egos.

You always take a risk when you put together the two biggest personalities in the league with LeBron and Shaq, but the Cavs are the closest team in the NBA and it shows.

Giraffes Rule
02-18-2010, 12:16 AM
Yeah, Delonte West just screams good character...

EaglesJackson10
02-18-2010, 12:17 AM
Who says Duke players cant make it in the NBA lol.

Denver-boy
02-18-2010, 12:17 AM
impressive. cavs are stacked...

HoopsDrive
02-18-2010, 12:27 AM
I agree on this. Good moves by Ferry, they're freaking loaded now. Should be a fun finals... if they make it.

LE-SHAQ
02-18-2010, 12:31 AM
I dont think we are done. Everyone assumes we are out for Amare, but Z was always going to be bought out. he was only in the deal for salary purposes. We still have Wally s/t and jj and Boobie or another player. its possible the Cavs still can get Amare if Phx is game or if not we can go make another splash for a 2 guard. We are way over the cap so we cant add any pieces in the off season we have to use Wally while we have the bird rights. Ferry has done a great job acquiring talent and giving up little. Dont be surprised we still have some bullets in our gun.

znick21
02-18-2010, 12:32 AM
he's done ok since he took over. but he and the cavs previous gm especially could have done a lot better job surrounding lebron with better talent earlier on in his career. their drafts/signings have been horrrible.

TheKing23
02-18-2010, 12:40 AM
Yeah, Delonte West just screams good character...

You're mistaking personal problems with a bad locking room presence...

The guys is one of the most loved Cavs among the players, and all his off court problems stem from his bipolar disorder. He's has shown great character by never allowing what troubles him off court to trouble him on court, affect his play and affect his teammates.

mark1125
02-18-2010, 12:47 AM
I will agree 100% IF they win the title.

Giraffes Rule
02-18-2010, 12:54 AM
You're mistaking personal problems with a bad locking room presence...

The guys is one of the most loved Cavs among the players, and all his off court problems stem from his bipolar disorder. He's has shown great character by never allowing what troubles him off court to trouble him on court, affect his play and affect his teammates.

Good character would be not having off the court issues at all. If you're riding around with 3 loaded weapons in a guitar case, that's not good character. I don't care how much the guys in the locker room like him, that's not the same thing as having good character.

koreancabbage
02-18-2010, 01:04 AM
looks good on paper, but no title = danny ferry is overrated.

give me a title Ferry, and all faith shall bestowed unto you.

Giraffes Rule
02-18-2010, 01:06 AM
looks good on paper, but no title = danny ferry is overrated.

give me a title Ferry, and all faith shall bestowed unto you.

I dunno, I think at this point Ferry's done all he can to put a winning team on the floor. It's up to the coaches and the players, and if they can't do it I don't think it's his fault.

JJ_JKidd
02-18-2010, 01:19 AM
(Danny Ferry is a beast) if the Cavs win the title without any controversies.

smith&wesson
02-18-2010, 01:20 AM
i find it interesting that it was pointed out how the cavs GM got shaq, parker and moon ...

the real credit should be given to him for ataining jameson with out having to give up hickson. thats where i give the GM props. im not a big cavs fan but you gotta give credit where its due. the cavs at this point are the favs to win the title. they have beat the lakers in each meeting thus giving them home court advantage in the finals. and they just added a great player to a team that is leading the league in wins. mr ferry i aplaud you :clap:

untill now i really didnt think the cavs management had given enough to lebron to resign. shaq is really old and on his last legs. mo williams was a good pick up but i dont think was enough to make lebron want to stay. but now you have jameson and theres the robyn that bat man needed. the jameson pick up is by far the biggest pick up the cavs made to suround lebron with talent. Lebron should most definatley resign now.

RaysFan
02-18-2010, 01:24 AM
he's done ok since he took over. but he and the cavs previous gm especially could have done a lot better job surrounding lebron with better talent earlier on in his career. their drafts/signings have been horrrible.

That's not really fair because Cleveland had Carlos Boozer but that whole fiasco set the franchise back for years. The previous GM was an idiot, but Ferry didn't get any good draft pick to work with and he only had 1 year of cap-space and that was in a REALLY down year for free agents.

Ferry has made some REALLY good moves, even dating back to that 10 player deal he pulled off with Seattle and Chicago. He has really impressed me. Even his late-round draft picks haven't been bad. Daniel Gibson, JJ Hickson, Shannon Brown, and Anderson Varejao. All of those are 2nd rounders except for Brown who was a really late 1st rounder.

Tony_Starks
02-18-2010, 01:26 AM
Glad to see Ferry get some love too! The people that used to say "Lebron doesn't have any help" and "he does it all by himself" don't know basketball. Ever since he's been there they've constantly made improvements to the team where he basically has a tailor made team full of players to compliment him.

thats why he's not leaving by the way

AI4MVP
02-18-2010, 01:30 AM
Mo Williams, Shaquille Oneal, Antwan Jamison. LeBron has a great supporting cast now. Lets see if he can be legendary

CAVS21
02-18-2010, 01:30 AM
I dont think we are done. Everyone assumes we are out for Amare, but Z was always going to be bought out. he was only in the deal for salary purposes. We still have Wally s/t and jj and Boobie or another player. its possible the Cavs still can get Amare if Phx is game or if not we can go make another splash for a 2 guard. We are way over the cap so we cant add any pieces in the off season we have to use Wally while we have the bird rights. Ferry has done a great job acquiring talent and giving up little. Dont be surprised we still have some bullets in our gun.

Ive been wondering that all night since I found out about the Jamison trade. he has to have something up his sleeve cuz this deal got done a hell of a lot faster than anybody expected....a 2 guard i hope......do we have enough bullets for someone better than what we've heard ie Maggette and Iggy??

heathonater
02-18-2010, 01:33 AM
ferry made a good move here. they are showing lebron that they will do what it takes to win a title. this doesn't make them significantly better than anyone else, but they have widened the gap in the east.

king4day
02-18-2010, 01:34 AM

Not only has he done a great job of acquiring the players, he's also be a fantastic judge of character in helping set up a team that has no conflicting egos.

You always take a risk when you put together the two biggest personalities in the league with LeBron and Shaq, but the Cavs are the closest team in the NBA and it shows.

Not saying the Cavs aren't close, but if you go on the Suns site to see what they do between games, u'd think they grew up together. A lot of teams are extremely close.

...Ferry does deserve a lot of credit. He turned bad contracts into pluses for this team. I didn't think they needed Jamison, but now with him, and assuming they get Z back, they will be so versitile through the lineup it's scary.

TheKing23
02-18-2010, 01:48 AM
Not saying the Cavs aren't close, but if you go on the Suns site to see what they do between games, u'd think they grew up together. A lot of teams are extremely close.

...Ferry does deserve a lot of credit. He turned bad contracts into pluses for this team. I didn't think they needed Jamison, but now with him, and assuming they get Z back, they will be so versitile through the lineup it's scary.

Actually, yeah, i'd have to agree with you on that one. The Suns have a great locker room chemistry. You can just tell it from the videos Steve Nash posts on YouTube!

kblo247
02-18-2010, 01:51 AM

Real talk,

He took his lumps with the Larry, Jones, and Marshall signings as a budding GM but he took a calculated risk and turned that into Wally and Ben to get them where they are.

He is growing into his role and carving his own resume' as an exec and I respect that and hope any good Lakers fan would as well as his everything he has done deserves as much credit as what Mitch and even Ainge in Boston has done.

CAVS21
02-18-2010, 01:54 AM
Real talk,

He took his lumps with the Larry, Jones, and Marshall signings as a budding GM but he took a calculated risk and turned that into Wally and Ben to get them where they are.

He is growing into his role and carving his own resume' as an exec and I respect that and hope any good Lakers fan would as well as his everything he has done deserves as much credit as what Mitch and even Ainge in Boston has done.

Much appreciated especially coming from a Lakers fan lol.

kblo247
02-18-2010, 02:01 AM

I should have edited that post to give the Magic GM, Otis some credit as well as he did the exact same thing.

Other than that though thanks

Teeboy1487
02-18-2010, 02:13 AM
Ferry is GM of the year no question.

D1JM
02-18-2010, 02:28 AM
It's the fact that lebron makes everyone around him good .

ko8e24
02-18-2010, 02:31 AM

kblo247 is one of the most unbiased non-homerish lakers fans here on PSD.

And I can't believe there's 2 things that people are not realizing in this trade

1) Cavs didn't have to give up JJ Hickson

2) Cavs got an extra player in Sebastian Telfair

The Los Angeles Clippers just made it a bit toughter IMO on their cross city rivals, the defending Champion Los Angeles Lakers (btw, I'm still confident we are going to REPEAT!)

This Telfair pickup is the "steal" of the trade. Jamison was the center piece obviously, and of course, he's the most important, but Telfair was the wildcard "steal" of this trade. Now you have essentially 4 point guards in Mo Williams, Delonte West, Sebastian Telfair and Daniel Gibson.

You also retain Hickson, and going to resign Big Z later on, and under-rated 2009 summer signing of Leon Powe (will be back from torn acl injury) gives them depth at the PF and C positions as well with Shaq, Big Z, Powe, Hickson, Jamison, Varejao, Darnell Jackson, Jawad Williams. And you still have your shooters and slashers in the Cavs free agent signings of Anthony Parker and Jamario Moon, and of course, LeBron James, their captain.

They now have depth at every position!

D1JM
02-18-2010, 02:32 AM
Lakers IMO are still the team to beat

ko8e24
02-18-2010, 02:36 AM
Lakers 13 players- Kobe Bryant, Pau Gasol, Andrew Bynum, Lamar Odom, Ron Artest, Derek Fisher, Jordan Farmar, Shannon Brown, Sasha Vujacic, Luke Walton, Josh Powell, DJ Mbenga, Adam Morrison

Cavaliers 15 players-LeBron James, Antawn Jamison, Shaquille O'Neal, Delonte West, Mo Williams, Anthony Parker, Jamario Moon, JJ Hickson, Zydrunas Ilkauskas, Anderson Varejao, Jawad Williams, Darnell Jackson, Leon Powe, Sebastian Telfair, Daniel Gibson

_KB24_
02-18-2010, 02:44 AM
Lakers 13 players- Kobe Bryant, Pau Gasol, Andrew Bynum, Lamar Odom, Ron Artest, Derek Fisher, Jordan Farmar, Shannon Brown, Sasha Vujacic, Luke Walton, Josh Powell, DJ Mbenga, Adam Morrison

Cavaliers 15 players-LeBron James, Antawn Jamison, Shaquille O'Neal, Delonte West, Mo Williams, Anthony Parker, Jamario Moon, JJ Hickson, Zydrunas Ilkauskas, Anderson Varejao, Jawad Williams, Darnell Jackson, Leon Powe, Sebastian Telfair, Daniel Gibson

Lakers- Kobe Bryant

Cavs- Lebron James

;)

CowboysKB24
02-18-2010, 02:49 AM

There the closest team in the NBA? Why? Because they practice game dances and skits... I think you mean the Cavs are one of the most immature teams in the league and it shows. It showed last year when they were dancing and looking like high school kids during games... that is probably why they didn't live up to their expectations.

But yes... Danny Ferry has done an excellent job this off-season and this season. I don't think the Shaq really added anything to greatness of the Cavs team, but getting rid of those other guys was the real success of the trade. Jamison is a HUGE pick up.

semperfi
02-18-2010, 02:52 AM
To everyone that thinks Telfair was a steal, he was thrown in because he's grossly overpaid.

And until they win a Championship, don't get your hopes up so much. They still have to get past Orlando. I'd bet my money on Dwight Howard against LeBron, any day.

ElMarroAfamado
02-18-2010, 02:54 AM
the cavs have a nice team but they are not winning the title and yeah..what the hell is going on with the HEAT
they have given D Wade no help whatsoever his departure from the HEAT in the off season would be the least surprising of all the free agents....

Mavrix
02-18-2010, 02:56 AM
Donnie Nelson/Mark Cuban:

Key rotation players

Out:
Antoine Wright
Jerry Stackhouse
Josh Howard
Brandon Bass

In:
Shawn Marion
Caron Butler
Brendan Haywood
Rodrigue Beaubois
Tim Thomas

ElMarroAfamado
02-18-2010, 02:56 AM
damn that Lebron Gif always slows down my Safari on my macbook haha
well until its done loading or whatever
but i guess its worth the lag and inconvenience because its really funny aha

Raph12
02-18-2010, 03:01 AM
Well clearly not if you look at Miami...

He said "Top 3" not Top 5.

kblo247
02-18-2010, 03:04 AM
Donnie Nelson/Mark Cuban:

Key rotation players

Out:
Antoine Wright
Jerry Stackhouse
Josh Howard
Brandon Bass

In:
Shawn Marion
Caron Butler
Brendan Haywood
Rodrigue Beaubois
Tim Thomas

Hurts their cause that they usually go after names and have gained that rep over fits ever since they traded Van Exel away.

J Lay
02-18-2010, 03:27 AM

Out
-Ben Wallace
-Sasha Pavlovic
-Wally Z

In
-Shaq O'Neal
-Anthony Parker
-Jamario Moon
-Leon Powe
-Antawn Jamison

are u serious lean powe, anthony parker jamario moon = garbage shaq = wayyyyyy past his prime still ok but not great and jamison is a rental for i think 2 years? dont quote me on jamison im guessing his contract. i know they didnt give up much to get these players but THEY OVERPAYED FOR EVERYONE OF THESE PLAYERS SALARY WISE LOL. Seriously this team is sooooo old its laughable and plus u think danny ferry is a good gm? why in the hell is mike brown still the coach then? cmon monnnnn. when the cavs lose to the magic AGAIN what will u pathetic once in a decade cavs fans think then? what happens when lebron resigns which i think he will and he gets injured its bound to happen. What happens when that knee eventually goes out? U GUYS HAVE NOOOOO GOOD YOUNG PLAYERS HICKSON IS WEAK.

RaptorsFanatic
02-18-2010, 03:30 AM
The NBA is a joke. I am tired of seeing the usual teams get better and better, of course, we are lucky that this league is not like MLB, or it would be much worse, but I really hate seeing these lopsided trades where the already talented team always wins.

RollinDeep
02-18-2010, 03:31 AM
Lakers- Kobe Bryant

Cavs- Lebron James

;)

Haha, basically what it comes down to.

ldc62
02-18-2010, 03:48 AM
Lets see the Cavs win a title before we call him a beast...

stawka
02-18-2010, 04:01 AM
LOL @ nervous and bitter Laker fans. Don't see that on PSD very often

CAVS21
02-18-2010, 05:16 AM
LOL @ nervous and bitter Laker fans. Don't see that on PSD very often

hahahahahahahahahahahaha...they're runnin scared:clap::clap::clap:

pistonsfanomg
02-18-2010, 09:10 AM
Jamison is 33

That was a stupid trade to me

He's aging

Amare is 26? LOL Thank God Cleveland didn't get Amare.

JasonJohnHorn
02-18-2010, 09:46 AM
I like Danny Ferry, but I'm not sure he is a "genius" or anything like that. He fortunate that in today's league teams make moves based on salary and not talent and that the team he works for makes lots of money and that his owner is willing to spend.

Joe Dumar (who admittedly made a bonner move drafting Darko) has been a great GM, but his owner cut him off from out-bidding Chi-town to keep Wallace, and didn't let him mathc Utah's offer to keep Okur. Had Detroit managed to keep both those players, Detroit would be in a better position had Dumars had the allowance that ferry has.

When teams are giving away players like Jamison and Shaq for expiring contracts, its easy to improve your roster. As for chemistry, we've yet to see how Jamison is going to work out (though I'm sure he will be fine), and if Jamison doens't work out fans will call for Ferry's head for not being able to land the Amare deal.

The Cavs are a solid team, a great team, and favorites to win the east (even before the trade), and is Big Z does come back, they will be even better.

But one of the key match-ups that will cause problems for the Cavs when the playoffs roll around is shooting guard.

Delonte West and Parker will not be able to compete at a high level, West because he is a point guard by nature and gives up too much height, and Parker because he doesn't have the sweet stroke the Cavs need to spread the floor. If the Cavs face up against players like AI 2.0, Joe Johnson, Vince Carter and Bryant, the shooting guard match-up will be the Cavs achillies heel. I would be more impressed with Ferry if he had pulled a deal off that snagged them AI 2.0 or Rip Hamilton, or even Kevin Martin (though I'm not personally too high on Martin).

Ferry is good, but a lot of his moves have been no-brainers, and if the Jamison trade does mess with the chemistry, fans will complain that he messed with a good thing, since the Cavs had the best record in the league before the trade.

Ferry is good, but I'm more impressed with guys like Coangelo (who have brought in talented undrafted players like Jarmio Moon and Jose Calderon), or Stever Kerr, whose owner has been having him shed contracts left and right in trades where they get next to nothing back and still remain competative in a tough western conference, and the Spurs front office have always been great while Memphis's GM (not sure who he is) has worked mircales to turnt hat team around.

mynameismo
02-18-2010, 09:53 AM
Those were really great moves. And he deserves all the credit. But that's what you should expect from a GM who's job is on the line.

"Danny: Bron, you happy now?"