PDA

View Full Version : Dwight Howard's Offensive Game! (Video)

Raph12
02-17-2010, 12:42 AM
I've heard a lot of criticism about Dwight's lack of post moves and touch around the basket. Many feel that he's made no improvements in his game and still doesn't have what it takes to anchor his team offensively.

So I took the time to put together a little video, with minimal resources, I've put together a collection of clips that may have you second guessing yourself. This montage includes post moves, great footwork, great positioning, nice passing out of double teams and a smooth touch around the basket.

Take a look at the video and then answer the poll question above:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVVgEUE4or8

ADDED: There was supposed to be a poll, but my internet got messed up, so just answer this question in your response...

Is Dwight Howard's Offensive Game:

A - Capable of anchoring the Magic's offense

B - Good enough to be a solid second option

C - Too limited, he needs to keep working at it

MAC10TIZZY
02-17-2010, 12:56 AM
well done ralphie well done

Raph12
02-17-2010, 01:07 AM
well done ralphie well done

Thnx, btw it's Raphie not Ralphie...

wileyisTOFU
02-17-2010, 01:15 AM
come on. i could score on David Anderson

Duncan = Donkey
02-17-2010, 01:22 AM
Option C

Raph12
02-17-2010, 01:27 AM
come on. i could score on David Anderson

Name one guy he couldn't score on this season...

Option C

Care to elaborate?... What do you feel like he needs to work on?

ldc62
02-17-2010, 01:32 AM
Option C... because he only does a nice move in the post about once a game.

Zefflin
02-17-2010, 01:39 AM
I love Dwight, keeps getting better and better.

bchissie
02-17-2010, 01:52 AM
I love Dwight, keeps getting better and better.

Da' white around your lips

Raph12
02-17-2010, 01:53 AM
Option C... because he only does a nice move in the post about once a game.

You obviously don't watch enough Magic games... Go back and look at the game against the Celts, he made 5 post moves (spinning hooks, running hooks, dropsteps to the basket) in the fourth quarter alone... If you still don't buy into it, watch the game against LA, he light's them up in the first half with tons of moves and shots, yes I said shots (2 TimmyD-esque bank shots).

Watch some more games and then get back at me.

NYK_kidd77
02-17-2010, 01:56 AM
Option B

TheKing23
02-17-2010, 02:02 AM
I'll go with C.

That's a nice mix of highlights but his post game isn't consistent enough yet... For every one of those highlights there's probably one or two turnovers and bricked hook shots.

Good improvement, but he's still got a long way to go until he can anchor an offense.

Ragun
02-17-2010, 02:02 AM
c. any big can do the post moves he is doing there. he is just a lot stronger and more athletic than the other bigs. all i saw were dunks, dropsteps and running hooks. well there isnt much more you can do other than cleaning his moves up, work on his shot, and be able to pass out of a double better.

IversonIsKrazy
02-17-2010, 02:13 AM
in between A & B. But i think he will only get better and better, but his offense is still kind of limited, but will be better and better, and soon very very dominate.

RocketsRule
02-17-2010, 02:17 AM
I think it's really just a matter of him getting more touches. He's developed some nice moves in the post, such as that half hook, but his game is still very limited. However, he is improving and continuing to make strides so that obviously bodes well for him.

I'd have to say A/B. He's not quite ready to carry a team offensively, but he'd be a pretty damn good 2nd option.

ldc62
02-17-2010, 02:18 AM
You obviously don't watch enough Magic games... Go back and look at the game against the Celts, he made 5 post moves (spinning hooks, running hooks, dropsteps to the basket) in the fourth quarter alone... If you still don't buy into it, watch the game against LA, he light's them up in the first half with tons of moves and shots, yes I said shots (2 TimmyD-esque bank shots).

Watch some more games and then get back at me.

WOW... HE had 7 post moves in 2 game!!! :rolleyes:

Raph12
02-17-2010, 02:20 AM
c. any big can do the post moves he is doing there. he is just a lot stronger and more athletic than the other bigs. all i saw were dunks, dropsteps and running hooks. well there isnt much more you can do other than cleaning his moves up, work on his shot, and be able to pass out of a double better.

I don't see what you're getting at here, there aren't any other moves he could learn down low other than the "Dream Shake" which without proper coaching will never be fluent enough.

His moves are consistent, that's why he shoots over 60%, problem is he gets only about 10-15 touches per game and it's hard to do more in only that amount of touches. He's constantly been working on his shot and the passing out of double teams will get better with more touches, if he gets the ball more, he'll score more and they'll double more, at which point he'd be in the situation where he could work on his passing out of doubles.

Again I don't see how he wouldn't be a great second option at the minimum, he could easily help get a team with Lebron, Melo, Wade, Roy, Paul, D-Will or another elite wing to a championship as the #2 guy.

koreancabbage
02-17-2010, 02:22 AM
Option B. Actually i believe he should be a 3rd option, scoring wise

Obviously Van Gundy doesn't believe he has a consistent offensive game, otherwise he'd be taking more than 10 shots a game. He dominates on match-ups, smaller guys on him, and does the unexpected sometimes, but he is also 4th in the league in PFs, so that leads to the stats: he gets a lot of offensive fouls, defensive fouls, he also has horrible ball handling turnovers. Actually he's even worse this year in terms of amount of turnovers, and his passing out of the double team is overrated.

Boss Man Chief
02-17-2010, 02:33 AM
Anyone could have a youtube video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMG4SAbXdEw

So is Sean May nice at offense...NO!!! But he looked good there. Dwight has flashes of greatness but still is a longggg way from being great. Players like shaq, hakeem, robinson, even kg did that night in and night out, dwight is not even close to being able to do that.

jmtapia
02-17-2010, 02:35 AM
C because thats what young players should do anyways...

Sadds The Gr8
02-17-2010, 02:39 AM
Option C.

Bausman
c

Howard has gotten better every year, but he is arguably the most athletic player in the league, he's one of the most athletic, and one of the biggest/strongest players in the NBA. He should be dominating the offensive end of the floor like he does on defense. But he's just not there yet even though he has been improving for 5 years. He's still terrible.

Im not saying terrible like Ben Wallace, but more like... how the hell are you so big and so strong and sooo freakishly athletic and not averaging 25 a game.. minimum.(like LeBron or Shaq)

I used to think Stan Van was the worst coach in the league because he didnt run his offense through Dwight way more often. But then I realized that he's a genius and he knows Dwight has no offensive game. They surround him with shooters and lets him do what he does best... chase rebounds for put backs and dunks.

Im not saying there is no hope for him because he works hard and is getting better and better. Im just saying for what he's working with he could be a lot better, but the problem is he just doesnt have that natural rhythm to his offensive game. (like Amir Johnson or Joe Alexander.) You cant teach that part of the game but you can teach the skills. And Dwight is improving on the skills but I just dont think he will ever be as dominant as he 'should' be.. and deffinitly not the the real Superman.

Its usually hard to criticize a highlight mix but just check out the 'passing highlights' you prolly searched high and low for. Those are on a highlight mix and the are all bad passes. The one pass Lewis had to catch at his feet the other one he had to step to the side... thats why you need good shooters with him. Sounds like im nit picking but trust me the nit pick at that level big time. A good passer will put it in your hands, an average passer will get it to you without you having to move anything but your arms. Dwight howard is the example for a bad passer.

Aright I'll give him a C+

Sadds The Gr8

So is Sean May nice at offense...NO!!! But he looked good there. Dwight has flashes of greatness but still is a longggg way from being great. Players like shaq, hakeem, robinson, even kg did that night in and night out, dwight is not even close to being able to do that.

This.

Raph12
02-17-2010, 02:41 AM

1st off, that video was garbage, he had no moves down low, most of the plays were created for him by teammates.

No one is comparing his game to Hakeem, Robinson and KG's, can't you just answer the question without bringing up HOFers? Is Dwight good enough to be a 1st or 2nd option, or is he still too limited and if so, how?

Btw, Shaq's never had any postmoves aside from the dropstep/spinmove (both moves Dwight uses often). Shaq didn't need post moves, he could just bulldoze his way to his comfort range (3 feet and under) and then dunk, layup or throw in a baby hook. Show me one highlight reel of Shaq using more hook shots and postmoves than dunks and layups, go ahead I dare you.

Boss Man Chief
02-17-2010, 02:50 AM
Your a fool just because you dunk it doesnt mean that its not a post move. Shaq was wayyyyahead of dwight. LIGHTYEARS of what dwight will ever be. Shaq was the #1 of L.A. with kobe there. Dwight could never do that with a star 2 guard. He will ALWAYS be the #2 option.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUE_0LRxtpU&feature=related

Dwight will also never drop 61 in a game like shaq. Im not even a shaq fan but any REAL nba fan can see that

Boss Man Chief
02-17-2010, 02:50 AM
^^^^a real post player

LAcowBOMBER
02-17-2010, 02:59 AM
1st off, that video was garbage, he had no moves down low, most of the plays were created for him by teammates.

No one is comparing his game to Hakeem, Robinson and KG's, can't you just answer the question without bringing up HOFers? Is Dwight good enough to be a 1st or 2nd option, or is he still too limited and if so, how?

Btw, Shaq's never had any postmoves aside from the dropstep/spinmove (both moves Dwight uses often). Shaq didn't need post moves, he could just bulldoze his way to his comfort range (3 feet and under) and then dunk, layup or throw in a baby hook. Show me one highlight reel of Shaq using more hook shots and postmoves than dunks and layups, go ahead I dare you.

It's a highlight reel though. Why would it not be full of dunks? Dwight might be able to do the same post moves as Shaq, but not as effectively or as consistently. Dwight should be dominating on the offensive end with his size and athleticism, but he just does not have the moves to do so. It really isn't even debatable. The only way a team would ever win with Dwight as the number one option is if they were amazing defensively and I don't even think a team like that can exist in today's NBA

wileyisTOFU
02-17-2010, 03:03 AM
i think he'd easily score 5 more points a game if he would just stop smiling so much

Raph12
02-17-2010, 03:03 AM
Your a fool just because you dunk it doesnt mean that its not a post move. Shaq was wayyyyahead of dwight. LIGHTYEARS of what dwight will ever be. Shaq was the #1 of L.A. with kobe there. Dwight could never do that with a star 2 guard. He will ALWAYS be the #2 option.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUE_0LRxtpU&feature=related

Dwight will also never drop 61 in a game like shaq. Im not even a shaq fan but any REAL nba fan can see that

Shaq was ahead of Dwight in the sense that he was a better ballhandler and a great passer out of double teams. But Shaq's actual low post moves are average at best, he has always just powered his way to the basket, occasionally hitting the d with a dropstep or spin move. Shaq has been a beast and played in a time where the bigs ruled the game, the refs are very quick on the whistle in today's game. Shaq had a problem with foul trouble back in those days, if he was in his prime in today's game, he would not be nearly as dominant.

Btw, that 61pt game was the best game of his life and he never played like that prior or after that night, it's like you look back at Kobe's 81pt game and say "see Kobe's unstoppable, he can score against 3 guys on will..." The stars were aligned and everything was falling, everyone has nights like that and the defense was doing whatever they could to help out the big fella as well.

DodgerBulls
02-17-2010, 03:07 AM
I'll go with C.

That's a nice mix of highlights but his post game isn't consistent enough yet... For every one of those highlights there's probably one or two turnovers and bricked hook shots.

Good improvement, but he's still got a long way to go until he can anchor an offense.

:clap:

Boss Man Chief
02-17-2010, 03:17 AM
Okay and thats my point only REALLY good people have games like that. Not just anyone can have an 81 point game or not just any center can have a 61 point game. Those type of games are remarkable and dwight isnt even close to being remarkable on offense. And the only time shaq really bulldozed was when he was over-weight which was towards the end of his lakers carrer through now, which was towards the end of his career but when he was in his prime he used he size and athleticism to get to the bucket and score. And since shaq was a star he got the star calls like kobe/lebron get now. If dwight learned how to use his physical attributes he could be a BEAST but he doesnt. Shaq was a great post player that wasnt always huge, look at him at LSU or on Orlando he was more than "just a big body".

Boss Man Chief
02-17-2010, 03:22 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObgYw_L7FI8

Sorry for all the youtube videos but that is what the orignal post was right? Anyway that was shaq's rookie season dwight doesnt naturally have that skill to take over the game that he did and either you got it or you dont and as of now he don't "got it". I'm not saying he'll never get there but he's got A LOT of work to do

Raph12
02-17-2010, 01:10 PM
Okay and thats my point only REALLY good people have games like that. Not just anyone can have an 81 point game or not just any center can have a 61 point game. Those type of games are remarkable and dwight isnt even close to being remarkable on offense. And the only time shaq really bulldozed was when he was over-weight which was towards the end of his lakers carrer through now, which was towards the end of his career but when he was in his prime he used he size and athleticism to get to the bucket and score. And since shaq was a star he got the star calls like kobe/lebron get now. If dwight learned how to use his physical attributes he could be a BEAST but he doesnt. Shaq was a great post player that wasnt always huge, look at him at LSU or on Orlando he was more than "just a big body".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObgYw_L7FI8

Sorry for all the youtube videos but that is what the orignal post was right? Anyway that was shaq's rookie season dwight doesnt naturally have that skill to take over the game that he did and either you got it or you dont and as of now he don't "got it". I'm not saying he'll never get there but he's got A LOT of work to do

I get what you mean, Dwight doesn't have Shaq's natural feel for the game. And I totally agree, but Dwight has worked on his game and it's gotten a lot better, you guys forget that even Hakeem didn't avg 25+ppg until he was 30. Dwight's only 24 and he has some great moves already, he's carried the Magic's offense in the last 15-20 games or so and they've been winning games and he's been great on offense. Passing out of doubles and limiting his offensive fouls/turnovers are the things he really needs to work on now.

I don't see how you guys could say he wouldn't be an amazing second option down-low. Put him on a team with any elite wing and he'd automatically become the best second option in the league. People forget that Pau Gasol scores most of his points off passes, whether it be cutting to the rim or off a pick-and-pop. IMO Dwight's the best finisher in the game, so you put him on a team with CP3, D-Will, Lebron, Kobe, Roy, etc.. he'll look even more beastly and the team will easily contend every season. The Magic are contending now with Dwight as their focal point in the offense, they're 3-1 vs Boston, 3-0 vs Atlanta, 3-1 vs Toronto, 3-0 vs Charlotte, etc... So imagine if you place him on a team where he doesn't have to create 90% of his plays and has a star creating for him.

Jay22Redd
02-17-2010, 01:22 PM
I would have to say C. With his size and athleticism, he should be (even though this guy isnt going to like this) just like Shaq. He's a freak athlete that dunks like he's playing on an 8 foot goal. He shouldnt have games where he scores 13pts. Great athlete, would have him over any Center in the league today.

Raph12
02-17-2010, 01:29 PM
I would have to say C. With his size and athleticism, he should be (even though this guy isnt going to like this) just like Shaq. He's a freak athlete that dunks like he's playing on an 8 foot goal. He shouldnt have games where he scores 13pts. Great athlete, would have him over any Center in the league today.

Keep in mind Shaq's a lazy bear on defense, Dwight does 500x what he does on defense. If he scores 13 on 4-15 shooting, I see your point, if he scores 13 on 5-7 shooting, I blame the coach and his teammates.

Dwight's not like Shaq, both physically and mentally, Shaq was a 325+lb bull, he could overpower anyone easily to where he wants to be on the floor, while Dwight's a lean 275 who uses a combination of speed, agility, strength and finesse to score. That's only physically, mentally, Shaq always wanted to be the guy on the court on the offensive end, he'd demand the ball and make sure that he'd get his touches first, if he didn't, he'd let you know about it. Dwight's too nice, even when Barkley asked him when he'd start demanding the ball, he said he'd continue to play and let the coach call the plays.

kurivaimu
02-17-2010, 01:40 PM
option C-

And..i mean, what do the highlights show??? That he has made a good post moove in one game..It doesn't show how limited he really is.

Ffs. You could take Brian Scalabrine's highlights, mix it and say that he should be the celtics first option

macc
02-17-2010, 01:47 PM
Lets stop with the Dwight/Shaq comparisons. Dwight just isn't and never will be as big as Shaq. Shaq was a freak of nature with his size and natural talent. Hes what made me a Magic fan 18 years ago. Dwight got Shaq defensively because of his freakish athletism. I do agree with the people above me who said Shaq didn't have alot of post moves. He would just power his way in for his hook. Obviously it was affective.

Going back to Dwight. He's still got a ways to go. With that being said he's getting better and better as the year goes on. I used to critisize Dwight all the time for his lack of offense. Though more and more he's proving me wrong.

The majority of people in here aren't Magic fans so probably don't watch alot of Magic games but trust me, he's been quite impressive, esp in the last 20 games or so. The casual fan won't see his strides because all his highlights are dunks on espn. Your Magic fan who watches every single game sees exacly how far he's come.

If people pay more attention to Dwight they'll see that he's def improving. It wasn't till this year that he started taking his Tim Duncan bank, which suprising goes in most of the time. Hes getting there. The key is just getting more shots and touches.

JNaqvi23
02-17-2010, 02:12 PM
I think option C only because of how the team plays...they don't give Howard more than 10-12 touches a game...Orlando is a 3pt shooting team that really needs to start feeding Dwight the ball...I personally think he's only at 40% of his potential...

Double_R
02-17-2010, 02:17 PM
Another stellar thread Raph

AirCanada15ORL
02-17-2010, 02:55 PM
C-he's improving but still way to limited to be a go to threat. I know you love Dwight but he needs to improve offensivley. There are lots of others I'd rather have doing post moves. But I'd rather have Dwight for his presence and dominant defense.

SteveNash
02-17-2010, 04:41 PM
C.

A mix means little.

RollinDeep
02-17-2010, 05:03 PM
option C-

And..i mean, what do the highlights show??? That he has made a good post moove in one game..It doesn't show how limited he really is.

Ffs. You could take Brian Scalabrine's highlights, mix it and say that he should be the celtics first option

Mos def.

Even Adam Morrison has a highlight mix.

madiaz3
02-17-2010, 05:13 PM
C.

It's kind of like my boy in my sig Danilo Gallinari. He can post up to a degree, take people off the dribble, assist like a pro, dunk on kids, stepback and fadeaway but until the majority of his game is not just three point shooting (Dunking for Dwight) people will regard them with having limited skill sets.

Raph12
02-18-2010, 03:24 AM
You guys know that Dwight's avging 22.1ppg in his last 15 games on 60.1FG% and 65.3FT% right? They've gone 12 of 15 in that stretch of games, he's been anchoring the offense for a while now and it's paid dividends.

Dwight's statline for the night: +20 (+/-)
33pts 11-16fg 11-13ft 17Rebs 7Blks 3Asts 1To

ldc62
02-18-2010, 03:56 AM
Alright you've proved you're just an ignorant douche who probably watched your team get whooped by someone, so you're emotional.

I won't bother discussing this any further with a stubborn mind like yours.

I'm ignorant? I'm just stating the facts. He doesn't do this often and its a known fact, Homer. Didn't my team just school you in the finals? BTW looks like a majority of people are picking C too...

Raph12
02-18-2010, 04:10 AM
I'm ignorant? I'm just stating the facts. He doesn't do this often and its a known fact, Homer. Didn't my team just school you in the finals? BTW looks like a majority of people are picking C too...

Yeah you mean the team that's undefeated without the Finals MVP?... I can be an ignorant douchebag as well.

The facts are that he uses great footwork and finesse moves in the post regularly and anyone who watches enough Magic games this season would know that, but since most people don't, I made a little video to try and show people what they're missing.

Wait, didn't your team get lit up for 24pts by Dwight this season?... He outscored everyone on your team and did it extremely efficiently huh, yeah I guess if you can score at will against defenses like LA , Boston and Cleveland, you probably aren't that good after all.

I mean he's only led his team (as the #1 option) to the 3rd best record in the league, despite all of the team injuries, chemistry issues (5 new key teammates) and suspensions. He's gone for 22.1ppg on 60.1FG% and 65.3FT% in the last 15 games, while the Magic have won 12 of those, but I guess he just isn't good enough to be a second option on another team. :rolleyes:

Duncan = Donkey
02-18-2010, 05:29 AM
Name one guy he couldn't score on this season...

Care to elaborate?... What do you feel like he needs to work on?

ill admit i dont watch orlando much. but when i do i see him do 1 move, that running sweeping hook shot which seems to be very inconsistent.

so what does he have to work on............everything i guess. but then again i dont watch the magic much, so maybe im wrong

ishouldbeagm
02-18-2010, 06:13 AM
C. too inconsistent should be dominating but doesn't even when he does get touches i've seen him throw up some ugly shots my 15 year old 5'8 cousin has a better offensive game than dwight does and he's more consistent too

ldc62
02-18-2010, 06:16 AM
Yeah you mean the team that's undefeated without the Finals MVP?... I can be an ignorant douchebag as well.

The facts are that he uses great footwork and finesse moves in the post regularly and anyone who watches enough Magic games this season would know that, but since most people don't, I made a little video to try and show people what they're missing.

Wait, didn't your team get lit up for 24pts by Dwight this season?... He outscored everyone on your team and did it extremely efficiently huh, yeah I guess if you can score at will against defenses like LA , Boston and Cleveland, you probably aren't that good after all.

I mean he's only led his team (as the #1 option) to the 3rd best record in the league, despite all of the team injuries, chemistry issues (5 new key teammates) and suspensions. He's gone for 22.1ppg on 60.1FG% and 65.3FT% in the last 15 games, while the Magic have won 12 of those, but I guess he just isn't good enough to be a second option on another team. :rolleyes:

Talk to me when the playoffs arrive... BTW if you don't remember, Hedo carried the Magic against the Lakers. Also when did I say he wasn't good??? I just said his Post moves can use work... (C - Too limited, he needs to keep working at it) learn to read please. I guess if people choose C, the creator of this thread goes into a hissy fit because he can't accept the truth. Why create a thread and ask for opinions if you want everyone to agree with you?

Raph12
02-18-2010, 01:20 PM
Talk to me when the playoffs arrive... BTW if you don't remember, Hedo carried the Magic against the Lakers. Also when did I say he wasn't good??? I just said his Post moves can use work... (C - Too limited, he needs to keep working at it) learn to read please. I guess if people choose C, the creator of this thread goes into a hissy fit because he can't accept the truth. Why create a thread and ask for opinions if you want everyone to agree with you?

I will and I do remember the Finals and that Dwight Howard is a completely different Dwight than this season.

Yes but option C means he isn't good enough to be a second option on a team. Right now he's the number 1 option on the Magic and has been anchoring their offense for about 15 games now. In those 15 games they've won 12 and he's put up great stats.

22.1ppg-14.2rpg-1.7apg-1.1spg-3.6bpg on 60.1FG% and 65.3FT%

Now if you ask me, those are great stats for a first option and going 12-3 is not half bad either. To say he's not able to be a second option is just ridiculous, I just wanted to see how many people would take the ignorant choice. This is not the same Dwight of last season, he's been beasting for quite some time now and I wanted to see if anyone has noticed... Apparently not.

Raph12
02-18-2010, 01:21 PM
ill admit i dont watch orlando much. but when i do i see him do 1 move, that running sweeping hook shot which seems to be very inconsistent.

so what does he have to work on............everything i guess. but then again i dont watch the magic much, so maybe im wrong

Thank you for being honest and admitting you don't watch enough games. A lot of other guys here like to pretend like they've seen every game and say he's too inconsistent.

JayW_1023
02-18-2010, 01:21 PM
A mash up of clips can make Jerome James look good. Not convinced. Not denying Dwight is improving offensively...but it's at a snails pace.

ldc62
02-18-2010, 02:32 PM
I will and I do remember the Finals and that Dwight Howard is a completely different Dwight than this season.

Yes but option C means he isn't good enough to be a second option on a team. Right now he's the number 1 option on the Magic and has been anchoring their offense for about 15 games now. In those 15 games they've won 12 and he's put up great stats.

22.1ppg-14.2rpg-1.7apg-1.1spg-3.6bpg on 60.1FG% and 65.3FT%

Now if you ask me, those are great stats for a first option and going 12-3 is not half bad either. To say he's not able to be a second option is just ridiculous, I just wanted to see how many people would take the ignorant choice. This is not the same Dwight of last season, he's been beasting for quite some time now and I wanted to see if anyone has noticed... Apparently not.
:facepalm: C - Too limited, he needs to keep working at it. Basically sums up his post game. It doesn't mean he can't be a second option... where does it say that. It means that he needs to keep working at it.

Raph12
02-18-2010, 02:51 PM
:facepalm: C - Too limited, he needs to keep working at it. Basically sums up his post game. It doesn't mean he can't be a second option... where does it say that. It means that he needs to keep working at it.

"B - Good enough to be a solid second option"

If you chose "he's too limited" that means you think he is too limited "to be a solid second option" now doesn't it. Option C is for people who think he's still not good enough to be the second option on offense, that's why there is the third option.

Obviously he's going to keep working at it, but to be a solid 1st option, not 2nd. He's leading his team to the 2nd best East record and 3rd best overall record, being a second option would mean having someone who could score the ball better than he can. If he's on a team like that, they win the title hands down IMO and if he's on a team where two guys can score the ball better than he can... Game over!

JayW_1023
02-18-2010, 02:54 PM
Hamed Haddadi, eat yer heart out!

:p

Fresno
02-18-2010, 03:11 PM
Raph what is up with your sig?

Dont tell me you're a Cavs/Celtics/Magic/Spurs/Lakers fan.

Fresno
02-18-2010, 03:17 PM

If you chose "he's too limited" that means you think he is too limited "to be a solid second option" now doesn't it. Option C is for people who think he's still not good enough to be the second option on offense, that's why there is the third option.

Obviously he's going to keep working at it, but to be a solid 1st option, not 2nd. He's leading his team to the 2nd best East record and 3rd best overall record, being a second option would mean having someone who could score the ball better than he can. If he's on a team like that, they win the title hands down IMO and if he's on a team where two guys can score the ball better than he can... Game over!

The point with Dwight is that although he can be a good second option on a team, the "Robin" to a great wing player's "Batman", the problem with Dwight is that hes not a player you can get the ball to and have him dominate the low post to win the game.

Did you watch the Playoffs this past season where the Magic did not let him touch the ball in the 4th quarter of several games and wanted him only to grab boards/play defense while the ball remained in Hedo's control. Did you watch the NBA Finals where the Lakers' defense around the post forced Dwight away from the basket on offense on a lot of plays. Nobody said he doesn't have any post skills, the problem is that despite the 1 on 1 coaching from Ewing he has been unable to consistently use his post skills in his game and instead relies on what he knows best, using his athletic advantage.

Thats the point. Dwight has yet to become a well rounded big man who can utilize the moves hes learned to make him a dominate big man.

NickyNick
02-18-2010, 03:42 PM
this is whack....i could make a clip of all of rondos free throws that actually went in and make a thread called "rondo is nasty at free throws!!"

RollinDeep
02-18-2010, 04:02 PM
this is whack....i could make a clip of all of rondos free throws that actually went in and make a thread called "rondo is nasty at free throws!!"

Uh oh.

Here come the Shaq Free throw highlights.

Raph12
02-18-2010, 04:25 PM
The point with Dwight is that although he can be a good second option on a team, the "Robin" to a great wing player's "Batman", the problem with Dwight is that hes not a player you can get the ball to and have him dominate the low post to win the game.

Did you watch the Playoffs this past season where the Magic did not let him touch the ball in the 4th quarter of several games and wanted him only to grab boards/play defense while the ball remained in Hedo's control. Did you watch the NBA Finals where the Lakers' defense around the post forced Dwight away from the basket on offense on a lot of plays. Nobody said he doesn't have any post skills, the problem is that despite the 1 on 1 coaching from Ewing he has been unable to consistently use his post skills in his game and instead relies on what he knows best, using his athletic advantage.

Thats the point. Dwight has yet to become a well rounded big man who can utilize the moves hes learned to make him a dominate big man.

Dwight has come really far from last season, last year he would just get the ball when he got into good position, this season he's taking the ball off the blocks and creating for himself.

He's made great strides and I look for him to continue to dominate for the rest of the season going into the playoffs. If you look at his stats for the last 15 games, you'll see that he's done wonders as the #1 option on the Magic and they've been playing great as well. This is why I made the video, to show that he's come along nicely from last season to this season.

SteveNash
02-18-2010, 04:30 PM

Dwight should be the last option. I'd put him below Gortat. He should just work on playing solid defense which he usually doesn't do and rebounding. Be a Dennis Rodman type. No sense giving him the ball as he turns the ball over, can't hit free throws, struggles to create his own shot or find open looks for teammates.

Fresno
02-18-2010, 04:50 PM
Dwight has come really far from last season, last year he would just get the ball when he got into good position, this season he's taking the ball off the blocks and creating for himself.

He's made great strides and I look for him to continue to dominate for the rest of the season going into the playoffs. If you look at his stats for the last 15 games, you'll see that he's done wonders as the #1 option on the Magic and they've been playing great as well. This is why I made the video, to show that he's come along nicely from last season to this season.

We'll see come the Playoffs. He cant be completely taken out of a game because he still provides a presence on the boards and on defense, but dominant is something I'd hold off on for Dwight.

Good and productive, but not yet dominant.

Fresno
02-18-2010, 04:52 PM
Dwight should be the last option. I'd put him below Gortat. He should just work on playing solid defense which he usually doesn't do and rebounding. Be a Dennis Rodman type. No sense giving him the ball as he turns the ball over, can't hit free throws, struggles to create his own shot or find open looks for teammates.

Dwight is nothing like Rodman. Dwight doesn't even bring 1/4 the passion/intensity that Rodman brought to games.

Rodman was drugged up though.:)

Raph12
02-18-2010, 05:31 PM

You my friend have lost your mind.

I didn't know they allowed mental patients to use computers in the asylum... Ask them to get you NBA League Pass as well, so you could actually watch a few Magic games, not just read the Cleveland Plain Dealer.

Raph12
02-18-2010, 05:32 PM
We'll see come the Playoffs. He cant be completely taken out of a game because he still provides a presence on the boards and on defense, but dominant is something I'd hold off on for Dwight.

Good and productive, but not yet dominant.

Fair enough.

ldc62
02-18-2010, 05:47 PM

I guess hes C and B then... because he needs to work on his game and thats a fact.

SteveNash
02-18-2010, 06:25 PM
You my friend have lost your mind.

I didn't know they allowed mental patients to use computers in the asylum... Ask them to get you NBA League Pass as well, so you could actually watch a few Magic games, not just read the Cleveland Plain Dealer.

Dwight's been labeled a franchise player but hasn't shown he can lead a franchise. It's like building your team around Marbury, it's only going to end badly.

Dwight is 24 if he was going to be a reliable scorer he'd show more than he has by now.

I don't know what you're getting at with your Cleveland Plain Dealer dig. Are you trying to call be a Cleveland fan? And how is it possible for someone to be a fan of the CLEVELAND CAVALIERS - BOSTON CELTICS - ORLANDO MAGIC - SAN ANTONIO SPURS And LOS ANGELES LAKERS?

Raph12
02-18-2010, 07:58 PM
Dwight's been labeled a franchise player but hasn't shown he can lead a franchise. It's like building your team around Marbury, it's only going to end badly.

Dwight is 24 if he was going to be a reliable scorer he'd show more than he has by now.

I don't know what you're getting at with your Cleveland Plain Dealer dig. Are you trying to call be a Cleveland fan? And how is it possible for someone to be a fan of the CLEVELAND CAVALIERS - BOSTON CELTICS - ORLANDO MAGIC - SAN ANTONIO SPURS And LOS ANGELES LAKERS?

Dwight's 24 years old and has easily shown that he can lead a team to Ws, they are 11 of their last 15, losses against the Cavs (where Dwight had 19 in 22 mins and then didn't touch the ball in the last 7.5 mins), Lakers (where Dwight had 18 first half and then only 6 second half; 1-1FG, 4-5 FT), Grizz (where Dwight scored 27, hitting two FTs to tie the game and then never to be seen again) and the Wiz (where Dwight had 18 in 3 quarters, ahead by double digits, only to get 3 touches in the fourth).... He's avged 22.1ppg-14.2rpg-1.7apg-1.1spg-3.6bpg on 60.1FG% and 65.3FT% in that span of 15 games.

Since they've let Dwight anchor the offense, the Magic have put themselves into a position to win and contend for a title, by letting Dwight lead them on both ends.

The "Cleveland Plain Dealer" thing was a jk, the Cavs media always seem to poke fun at the Magic, as do you. I'm a fan of the sport of basketball, I do have fav players and I also have a pecking order in which I root for teams, those are my 5 fav teams to watch.