PDA

View Full Version : Best Available or Biggest Team Need?

Baldyy
02-16-2010, 06:46 PM
When drafting, do you think it's better to go with best player available, or aim at the biggest team need even if taking the biggest need might be a pretty big drop off from best available?

pd7631
02-16-2010, 06:52 PM
Best available........just think if Detroit had Melo or Wade instead of Darko. Or if Portland had MJ over Bowie. Always, always, always take the best player.

BALLER71
02-16-2010, 06:54 PM
In Basketball, best available is much more important IMO.

Chacarron
02-16-2010, 06:55 PM
Best Available. As somebody already said with Detroit and their misfortune.

pd7631
02-16-2010, 07:13 PM
Seriously, who voted for "team need"? When has that strategy ever worked out in the NBA?

Baldyy
02-16-2010, 07:20 PM
A few Bulls fans said it would be smarter for the Wolves to pass on John Wall if we got the first pick because we already have Johnny Flynn.

abe_froman
02-16-2010, 07:20 PM
bpa always

pd7631
02-16-2010, 07:28 PM
A few Bulls fans said it would be smarter for the Wolves to pass on John Wall if we got the first pick because we already have Johnny Flynn.

That would be really stupid. If you don't need both, then you can trade one, but instead of drafting an unknown commodity, why not trade Flynn for an established NBA player that fills a need and you KNOW that they can play.

Bulls_fan90
02-16-2010, 07:30 PM

No team should pass up John Wall. I mean your gm does love drafting pg's...how many did you draft last year?

Bucsfan
02-16-2010, 07:34 PM
I think it mainly depends on the team and/or where your drafting

if your in the top 10 you obviously go best player available, but later in teh draft i would be filling holes

I hope the jazz go with BPA with the knicks pick this year, hopefully its wall! :)

Kakaroach
02-16-2010, 07:38 PM
Best available, you can always trade that for your need and then some.

Mauersota
02-16-2010, 07:42 PM
No team should pass up John Wall. I mean your gm does love drafting pg's...how many did you draft last year?

Actually common sense (I'm sorry such a complicated subject is out of your grasp) says we ended up with 2 point guards from last years draft, one of which is on our current roster. It is on record that MN and Denver had a prearranged deal for Ty Lawson and Kahn essentially didn't pick him. Plus Calathes was traded IMMEDIATELY after we grabbed him so there was likely something going on there as well.

goldenstater
02-16-2010, 07:47 PM

well said, i mean gaurds are the only strong point on out team and there is still no way in hell i would pass up on wall EVER!!!!

goldenstater
02-16-2010, 07:51 PM
Actually common sense (I'm sorry such a complicated subject is out of your grasp) says we ended up with 2 point guards from last years draft, one of which is on our current roster. It is on record that MN and Denver had a prearranged deal for Ty Lawson and Kahn essentially didn't pick him. Plus Calathes was traded IMMEDIATELY after we grabbed him so there was likely something going on there as well.

does not matter wall is way better than any guards you have, you take him and trade someone. there would be no common sense involved if you past up on a potential superstar just cause of what you drafted last year or have guards. pretty easy concept.

Mauersota
02-16-2010, 07:55 PM
does not matter wall is way better than any guards you have, you take him and trade someone. there would be no common sense involved if you past up on a potential superstar just cause of what you drafted last year or have guards. pretty easy concept.

I'd take Wall instantly, you missed my point.

Bulls_fan90
02-16-2010, 07:56 PM

What are you talking about? I have no idea. I simply stated that no team should pass up the best player in the draft (John Wall). I then commented on the amount of pg's you drafted last year (didn't ask for any explanation about why you drafted them).

Bulls_fan90
02-16-2010, 07:57 PM
Exactly

What was your point?? I don't think anyone got it :confused:

what54!?
02-16-2010, 07:58 PM
the best availble. Everything else will work itself out later

Mauersota
02-16-2010, 08:02 PM
Exactly

What was your point?? I don't think anyone got it :confused:

That we didn't in the terms that people make it out to be draft 4 point guards. We had prearranged deals with other teams and the players could of just of easily been a SG, SF, PF, or a center but it just so happened that Lawson and probably Calathas where points. We essentially just draft two PGs Flynn and Rubio.

Bulls_fan90
02-16-2010, 08:13 PM
That we didn't in the terms that people make it out to be draft 4 point guards. We had prearranged deals with other teams and the players could of just of easily been a SG, SF, PF, or a center but it just so happened that Lawson and probably Calathas where points. We essentially just draft two PGs Flynn and Rubio.

I understood what Minny did in the draft last year. And it is relevant to this topic. They essentially drafted the best available players with their top two picks. And Rubio at pick 5 and Flynn at 6 were the best available talent. So if the Wolves do get the no1 pick i'd be shocked if they traded down.

Mauersota
02-16-2010, 08:16 PM
I understood what Minny did in the draft last year. And it is relevant to this topic. They essentially drafted the best available players with their top two picks. And Rubio at pick 5 and Flynn at 6 were the best available talent. So if the Wolves do get the no1 pick i'd be shocked if they traded down.

In Kahn us Wolves fans trust. I think he would pair Flynn+ some in order to get back into the top 5 probably to nab Turner if we somehow miraculously got Wall.

goldenstater
02-16-2010, 08:20 PM

my fault then, i must have misunderstood you wording then. warriors are in the same boat and i would flip my **** if we passed on him.