PDA

View Full Version : Its Official: Camby to the Blazers

xxcubs22xx
02-16-2010, 01:23 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=ArOMWTjwzRWm7o84bedDh3O8vLYF?slug=mc-cambytrade021510&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Los Angeles Clippers center Marcus Camby(notes) unknowingly attended his own farewell dinner on Monday night.

The Portland Trail Blazers agreed in principle Tuesday to acquire Camby from the Clippers, league sources said.

The deal only needs approval from the league office to be completed.

The trade proposal, which was first reported by Yahoo! Sports’ Adrian Wojnarowski, sends Camby to Portland in exchange for forward Travis Outlaw(notes), guard Steve Blake(notes) and $3 million.

In town in advance of their Tuesday game against the Trail Blazers, the Clippers were having a team dinner at Portland’s Ringside steakhouse Monday night when Camby received a call on his cell phone from his agent, Rick Kaplan. Kaplan informed Camby that he would likely be traded to Portland.

After taking the call from Kaplan, Camby immediately walked out of the restaurant. A source close to Camby says that while he recognizes the benefits of playing for a better team, he is upset because his family is comfortably settled in Los Angeles. He had hoped to re-sign with the Clippers this summer.

“He likes the Clippers, he likes the organization, he likes L.A.,” the source said. “His wife is happy in L.A. And he’s not one for change. He’s definitely not happy about this.”

Camby also was similarly upset when the Denver Nuggets traded him to the Clippers before the start of last season. The Nuggets made an unsuccessful last-ditch attempt to bring back Camby before the Clippers’ deal with the Blazers was finalized.

Camby isn’t the only one upset.

Said one Clipper: “All the guys are upset because our best defensive player got traded basically for a backup point guard and money.”

Outlaw, 25, played in 11 games this season before breaking his left foot, and the Clippers are unsure when he’ll play again. Blake, 29, is averaging 7.6 points and four assists in 51 games.

The Blazers have been searching for some inside help to deflect the blow of losing centers Greg Oden(notes) and Joel Przybilla(notes). Some in the league also believe Blazers general manager Kevin Pritchard wanted to clear the way for Jerryd Bayless(notes) to get more time in the backcourt with Andre Miller(notes).

The Clippers, meanwhile, also have been shopping forward Al Thornton(notes), who was meeting with his agent Monday in Portland.

Camby, 35, is averaging 7.7 points and 12.1 rebounds for the Clippers. He is making $9.1 million this season in the final year of his contract. Just last week, he told Yahoo! Sports he hoped the Clippers wouldn’t trade him.

“It feels good to be a wanted man, but I like it here,” Camby said.

Camby left the restaurant without most of his teammates getting a chance to tell him goodbye. He is not believed to have finished his meal.

Yahoo! Sports NBA columnist Adrian Wojnarowski contributed to this report.

TheKing23
02-16-2010, 01:25 PM
As I said before, great deal for the Blazers...

A half year rental that gives them a chance to contend this year when everyone returns healthy.

PG: Andre Miller
SG: Brandon Roy
SF: Martell Webster
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge
C: Marcus Camby

Jays Claw
02-16-2010, 01:26 PM
Good trade.

JordansBulls
02-16-2010, 01:26 PM

A half year rental that gives them a chance to contend this year when everyone returns healthy.

Yeah that team can for sure upset some good team out west.

jimbobjarree
02-16-2010, 01:36 PM
I'm not worried about the Blazers in being annoyed with this deal, just that Camby, the perfect piece for Utah, went for chump change...and where was our GM at?

at least he didnt go to Denver or San Antonio

Burkey3472
02-16-2010, 01:46 PM
Good deal for the Blazers.

Wade_County
02-16-2010, 01:56 PM
great trade for the blazers

THE MTL
02-16-2010, 02:00 PM
Wow Blazers are just that good. Their GM is incredible. From the drafting to the trading. I was prepared to write them off from the playoffs, but they good now. And its better for the 2010 free agency cause I dont see Camby resigning with them once all their bigs come back.

Fresno
02-16-2010, 02:01 PM

Contend for what? They're not contending for a NBA Title with that lineup. Could they upset a #3 or #4 seed, maybe. But they're sitting in the 8th seed right now and there is a 0% chance they could take down the Lakers.

DLeeicious
02-16-2010, 02:02 PM
Wow Blazers are just that good. Their GM is incredible. From the drafting to the trading. I was prepared to write them off from the playoffs, but they good now. And its better for the 2010 free agency cause I dont see Camby resigning with them once all their bigs come back.

Well it's not like he would get a monster new contract at his age if he did resign. But yeah I doubt it, he will be a good veteran signing for a club next offseason.

Definitely a good move by Portland...it seems they have been trying to dump Outlaw and Blake for some time now.

tdunk21
02-16-2010, 02:03 PM
Yeah that team can for sure upset some good team out west.

could that good team be the lakers???mavs???can they really beat the lakers now...mavs are not a big deal IMO...

Fresno
02-16-2010, 02:07 PM
could that good team be the lakers???mavs???can they really beat the lakers now...mavs are not a big deal IMO...

The Blazers cant beat the Lakers. Dont let Blazers fans try to fool you, Portland is still atleast 2 years away from becoming that team who can surplant the Lakers in the West.

MJ-BULLS
02-16-2010, 02:12 PM
good trade for the blazers

Thatruth32
02-16-2010, 02:21 PM
yup yup

Lakers4ItAll
02-16-2010, 02:29 PM
Great pickup for the Blazers

PraiseJesus
02-16-2010, 02:35 PM
The Clippers are the laughing stock of life

Legitimate
02-16-2010, 02:38 PM
i thought clippers were thin in the frountcourt??? this trade makes zero sense.

FOBolous
02-16-2010, 02:43 PM
what?!?! where was Morey. As a rockets fan, i wouldn't mind trading Scola for Camby cause Camby > Hayes and Landry > Scola

Tblaze
02-16-2010, 02:46 PM
I like it alot, atleast we can gain some additional playoff experience instead of throwing it away.

Fresno
02-16-2010, 02:46 PM
The Clippers are the laughing stock of life

Tell me something we dont know.

They trade for a backup PG in Blake, when Sebastian Telfair was having a good season as their backup on a cheaper salary.

Where does Outlaw fit in LA considering hes going to resign elsewhere next season? Did the Clippers not ask for atleast someone like Patty Mills or Bayless?

Carey
02-16-2010, 02:49 PM
Good trade for Portland, Camby fits right in, they defend very well. This is a good team that could make some noise if they can get a healthy Roy back

Carey
02-16-2010, 02:50 PM
Tell me something we dont know.

They trade for a backup PG in Blake, when Sebastian Telfair was having a good season as their backup on a cheaper salary.

Where does Outlaw fit in LA considering hes going to resign elsewhere next season? Did the Clippers not ask for atleast someone like Patty Mills or Bayless?

Finances, the Blazers are sending 3 million along with Blake and Outlaw

Alwaysballin247
02-16-2010, 03:13 PM
Good trade for the blazer... question now is there another move

Alwaysballin247
02-16-2010, 03:15 PM
also this move makes you question what the clippers are even doing... maybe they decided to call it a year...maybe davis is on the move since now they have 3 pg's

Wilson
02-16-2010, 03:34 PM
also this move makes you question what the clippers are even doing... maybe they decided to call it a year...maybe davis is on the move since now they have 3 pg's

That's what I was thinking. If they do move Baron Davis for a big man, they could be in pretty good shape next season:

Steve Blake / Sebastian Telfair
Eric Gordon / Rasual Butler
Travis Outlaw / Al Thornton
Blake Griffin
Chris Kaman / DeAndre Jordan

Plus something from a Baron Davis trade at either powerforward or center.

We'll see. The Clippers could suddenly be interesting at the deadline or in the off-season.

TheKing23
02-16-2010, 04:08 PM
That's what I was thinking. If they do move Baron Davis for a big man, they could be in pretty good shape next season:

Steve Blake / Sebastian Telfair
Eric Gordon / Rasual Butler
Travis Outlaw / Al Thornton
Blake Griffin
Chris Kaman / DeAndre Jordan

Plus something from a Baron Davis trade at either powerforward or center.

We'll see. The Clippers could suddenly be interesting at the deadline or in the off-season.

Travis Outlaw expires this year and there is no chance he re-signs with the Clips... He'll be fighting for minutes with Al Thornton, Rasual Butler and Craig Smith.

Wilson
02-16-2010, 04:11 PM
Travis Outlaw expires this year and there is no chance he re-signs with the Clips... He'll be fighting for minutes with Al Thornton, Rasual Butler and Craig Smith.

Craig Smith is a PF isn't he? That would leave Eric Gordon, Rasual Butler, Al Thornton and Travis Outlaw to fill out the starting and back up SG and SF spots.

Roy Rogers
02-16-2010, 04:15 PM
So, not having followed the NBA closely this year, in general is this great trade for the Blazers and a "meh" trade for the clippers?

C-Van
02-16-2010, 04:22 PM
So, not having followed the NBA closely this year, in general is this great trade for the Blazers and a "meh" trade for the clippers?

The Clippers are done, and they are merely recognizing it by trading Camby to a team that isn't. Kind of throwing in the cards. If they think that they have a chance at resigning Outlaw, then it ends up being a good trade for them though! GREAT trade for the Blaze though.

Romo2Bryant
02-16-2010, 04:30 PM
I like this trade for Blazers.

I don't know if he will be a rental for Blazers, why not re-sign him because you never know what's going to happen with Oden.

But I don't understand why Clippers wanted to do this.

td0tsfinest
02-16-2010, 04:46 PM
good move for the Blazers. They lose outlaw but with Roy, Fernandez, Batum and Webster, I think could afford to let him go to get a big man they desperately need.

Dawson8
02-16-2010, 04:47 PM
Oh man! The clippers just got "pritch slapped". KP worked a great deal for the rest of this year and for the off-season........
Fresno- You might be right about the Lakers this year.....you might not be. Fact is the Lakers have a tough time with Portland. It wouldn't shock me if the Blazers upset a team like the Lakers or Denver. I mean, the Blazers just went the first half of the season without more than half of their team......15 games without Roy. Keep in mind; they were in 3rd in the west 3 weeks ago. Roy will be coming back very soon and the team is only 3 games out of the 5th spot and 5 out of the 2nd seed. Teams like Utah, San Antonio, Denver, and Phoenix cannot argue that Portland just made a huge jump to contending. Even your Lakers who seem to not be as hot as they were last year, have to look at these Blazers as a better team. I am just saying don't be so sure this year about your Lake show. Moreover, the one problem with Portland was their interior defense and that got exposed in a major way the last 2 weeks or so. they just fixed it and a major run is more than possible with this team.

Kakaroach
02-16-2010, 06:51 PM
Good move for th Blazers, they get the center they need, finally resolve the PG situation, and free up their wings so that Batum and Webster can get more playing time.

Clippers got Outlaw too, very solid young player and an expiring in Blake.

bahama0811
02-16-2010, 06:55 PM
I guess for what they gave it was a good move for the Blazers but it doesn't really scare me at all. Camby is really over-rated as a defender. The one thing he really brings is rebounding which will definitely help the Blazers. I don't mind seeing him take jumpers from the FT line all night though.

Legitimate
02-16-2010, 06:59 PM
*coughs* *coughs* *clears throat** *coughs**..*yawns*

Westbrook36
02-16-2010, 07:11 PM
Great deal for the Blazers..Adds a perfect center next to LMA who can rebound (12-13 RPG) and play some defense.

blackjack_119
02-17-2010, 03:13 AM
This Clippers trade is like every Clippers trade:
Great for the team trading with the Clippers (Portland received Camby for very little)
Great for Sterling (he has to pay less salary and was given between $1.5M-$3M)
Bad for the Clippers (they get two players for a season that they have already given up on who will not resign with the team.)

ElMarroAfamado
02-17-2010, 03:43 AM
This Clippers trade is like every Clippers trade:
Great for the team trading with the Clippers (Portland received Camby for very little)
Great for Sterling (he has to pay less salary and was given between $1.5M-$3M)
Bad for the Clippers (they get two players for a season that they have already given up on who will not resign with the team.)

sad but true
:facepalm:

Ragun
02-17-2010, 03:50 AM
wow. clippers should of been able to get a first in this deal.