PDA

View Full Version : Source: Cavs Talking to Warriors About Corey Maggette

ko8e24
02-16-2010, 01:47 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4917507

The Cleveland Cavaliers' pursuit of Amare Stoudemire continues, but in case they can't land the Phoenix Suns' All-Star forward, they have begun talks with the Golden State Warriors about Corey Maggette.

Despite their league-high 13-game win streak, the Cavaliers are leaving no stone unturned in attempting to improve their team and bring the city it's first major sports league championship in 46 years.

In addition to speaking to the Washington Wizards regarding Antawn Jamison and the Indiana Pacers regarding Troy Murphy, Cleveland is in discussions with the Warriors about Maggette, according to four sources with knowledge of the talks.

Stoudemire is far and away the Cavaliers first choice, and sources close to Stoudemire said a report Monday that he told Cleveland he doesn't want to play there is false.

Sources say the Cavaliers are willing to send Zydrunas Ilgauskas, J.J. Hickson, a first-round pick and another player (to make the deal work financially) to Phoenix for Stoudemire, but while the Suns mull over their options, Cleveland remains one of the most active teams in the league leading up to Thursday's trade deadline.

The Cavs might need a Plan B, as the Miami Heat are pushing hard to land Stoudemire as well, sources told ESPN.com's Marc Stein on Monday night.

It is not clear whether the Cavaliers' second-choice is Jamison or Maggette. The discussions with Golden State have centered around Cleveland sending Ilgauskas and his $11.5 million expiring contract to the Warriors for Maggette. Other players, perhaps Cleveland's Danny Green and Golden State's Devean George, would have to be added to make the deal work financially.

As is the case with all their potential trades, the Cavaliers hope their trading partner would waive Ilgauskas so he could re-sign with Cleveland 30 days later. But no such deal can be struck beforehand, per league rules. The Cavaliers' interest in Maggette, who is averaging 20.8 points per game for the Warriors, is somewhat surprising. While the 30-year-old small forward has long been regarded as one of the league's most gifted scorers, he has three years and nearly $31 million left on his contract and has been somewhat injury prone.

Maggette, who has a career scoring average of 16.6 points, has also only made the playoffs one time in his 11-year career with Orlando, the Los Angeles Clippers and the Warriors. That has led some to question Maggette's ability to help a team win, but the same questions dogged Jamal Crawford before he was traded to Atlanta last summer. Crawford, a former teammate of Maggette's in Golden State, has helped the Hawks become an Eastern Conference contender.

LeBron James is aware of Cleveland's interest in Maggette, and sources close to him say he believes he could help the Cavaliers. Maggette can play shooting guard as well as small forward, and while he's not a great outside shooter, the Cavaliers could at times play James and Maggette together on the frontline in a small lineup.

ko8e24
02-16-2010, 02:00 AM
I just have no clue what Cleveland is doing. First Amare, then Antawn, then Murphy, and now Maggette? A Small forward? :confused:

NYK_kidd77
02-16-2010, 02:07 AM
Lol what is going on!!!

TheKing23
02-16-2010, 02:10 AM
I know it sounds strange but ESPN have us "apparently" revisiting all these deals we were interested in a few months ago... No way do we move for Maggette.

The only reason we were interested in him before was because we woul've had to have taken him alongside Anthony Randolph.

JNA17
02-16-2010, 02:11 AM
cavs want EVERYBODY!!!

BaustinSali08
02-16-2010, 02:17 AM
Yeah, I see no point to this ESPN statement. They are just trying to add more buzz to the Cavs.

SpursEvolution
02-16-2010, 02:23 AM
Next they're ganna have talks bout Kobe, and Timmy, plus Melo. Ha

Jahari Kavi
02-16-2010, 02:30 AM
i read from a cavs insider that they are talking to the warriors to be a 3rd team in the deal.

iggypop123
02-16-2010, 02:32 AM
bynum for chris paul! oh wait wrong teams

JNA17
02-16-2010, 02:35 AM
bynum for chris paul! oh wait wrong teams

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ad3Hzsy1-20

Derick713
02-16-2010, 02:46 AM
If Dan wants he can take on more salary by just using Wally and another player to take on Corey Maggette

Maurice Williams/Delonte West/Daniel Gibson/
Anthony Parker/Corey Maggette/Daniel Green/
LeBron James/Jamario Moon/Jawad Williams/
Amare Stoudemire/Anderson Varejao/Leon Powe/
Shaquille O'Neal/Zydrunas Ilgauskas/

Jahari Kavi
02-16-2010, 02:47 AM
http://twitter.com/PDcavsinsider

^^^this person has always been a very good inside source for the cavs

JNA17
02-16-2010, 02:53 AM
maybe Corey at SG?

Raph12
02-16-2010, 03:09 AM
BREAKING NEWS: Cavs Talking To Every Team About Everyone!!!

BravoKnights
02-16-2010, 03:32 AM
for a team that has won 13 games in a row, they are looking incredibly desperate lol...

JNA17
02-16-2010, 03:34 AM
for a team that has won 13 games in a row, they are looking incredibly desperate lol...

because they know that winning games in the season won't translate winning in the playoffs.

Fireworld
02-16-2010, 03:47 AM

ZERO confidence. :violin:

ko8e24
02-16-2010, 03:52 AM
It really doesn't matter that they have a 13 game winning streak during the regular season. i'm sure they'd rather have a 13-game winning streak in the playoffs, lol

They went 39-2 at home, best record 66-16 last season, basically steamrolled thru 90% of the competition during the regular season, and then got embarrased in the ECF

Regular season is not what they're playing for.

JJ_JKidd
02-16-2010, 04:35 AM
cavs want EVERYBODY!!!

I heard they also are making a move for Starbury even if they know he's overseas. They have also contacted David Robinson's agent as reported by John Doe. :facepalm:

JNA17
02-16-2010, 04:36 AM
I heard they also are making a move for Starbury even if they know he's overseas. They have also contacted David Robinson's agent as reported by John Doe. :facepalm:

Breaking News: The Cavs are looking for MJ to come out of retirement to play with lebron!

djeller1139
02-16-2010, 05:06 AM
Warriors let them have him! Please! Just get rid of Maggette this trade deadline and it will be a success!

B.JenningsMVP
02-16-2010, 05:09 AM
I got a call from Danny Ferry to see if I was interested in joining the Cavs as the waterboy, he said the recent one just hasn't been performing to level of excellence they need him to be. I rejected this offer.

JNA17
02-16-2010, 05:17 AM
I got a call from Danny Ferry to see if I was interested in joining the Cavs as the waterboy, he said the recent one just hasn't been performing to level of excellence they need him to be. I rejected this offer.

why did you reject? If your a lebron hater you could have poisoned the water and...

well you get it :D

B.JenningsMVP
02-16-2010, 05:20 AM
why did you reject? If your a lebron hater you could have poisoned the water and...

well you get it :D

Wow how dumb am I, I didn't think of that. I may just have to call him back and reconsider his offer after all.

JNA17
02-16-2010, 05:23 AM
Wow how dumb am I, I didn't think of that. I may just have to call him back and reconsider his offer after all.

I'm always clever with evil ideas muhahahaha! :smoking:

B.JenningsMVP
02-16-2010, 05:40 AM
I'm always clever with evil ideas muhahahaha! :smoking:

Yes you are, and because of that you can receive 50% of what the job will be paying me-- meaning you'll get $2

JNA17
02-16-2010, 05:45 AM
Yes you are, and because of that you can receive 50% of what the job will be paying me-- meaning you'll get $2

sweet! i can buy cheese burger and a drink from the dollar menu at McDonalds :D

B.JenningsMVP
02-16-2010, 05:49 AM
sweet! i can buy cheese burger and a drink from the dollar menu at McDonalds :D

mmmmmmmmm sounds good haha :clap:

JJ_JKidd
02-16-2010, 06:30 AM
Breaking News: The Cavs are looking for MJ to come out of retirement to play with lebron!

MJ comes out of retirement to be "The King w/o A Ring's" sidekick :clap:

The_Pharouh
02-16-2010, 08:58 AM
This thread is hilarious :D

BTownTeamsRKing
02-16-2010, 09:20 AM
these reports are just time fillers. im sure every contender is talking to to a lot of teams about a lot of players.

for ex)
the celtics are targetting: hinrich, iggy, ellis, nate etc

cheezinmypocket
02-16-2010, 09:35 AM
I hope the cavs end up taking on a few crappy contracts. It'd be even better if they manage to screw up their chemistry while they do it. :)

$ NyC $
02-16-2010, 09:54 AM
Even though they're on a 13 game winning streak its about getting a big name for LBJ.

kobebabe
02-16-2010, 10:21 AM
I am not surprised at all. They seem to want anyone that has two legs and can walk.....it's getting funny tho

FairWeatherFan?
02-16-2010, 10:42 AM
From what I hear, Corey is going to be used in a three team deal, not a straight up trade. This is not about the playoffs as much as it is about having another star for lebron in the future.

mikantsass
02-16-2010, 10:52 AM
Maggette and Bron Bron play the same position, how does this trade make sense????

ellisgw
02-16-2010, 01:09 PM
I am not surprised at all. They seem to want anyone that has two legs and can walk.....it's getting funny tho

i heard they are offering me and u with a fine ohio girl on the side

RaiderLakersA's
02-16-2010, 01:11 PM
I can't wait until the trade deadline is over.

td0tsfinest
02-16-2010, 01:15 PM
Not a fan of Maggette and I really do think he won't be the factor that pushes the Cavs over the top. And he's going to be paid approx. $ 10 M for three more years, I don't think it would be a good move on Ferry's part.

miller74
02-16-2010, 01:21 PM
Corry Meggette is trade rumours

Tribe
02-16-2010, 02:21 PM
Noooooooo this reminds me to much of the larry hughes acquisition....might be worth it with an expiring contract but to win a title....not the right move