PDA

View Full Version : Ricky Rubio in NBA next year?

PistonsFan14
02-15-2010, 07:14 PM
Here are his stats so far for barcelona.

http://www.hoopsstats.com/basketball/fantasy/eurobasketball/euroleague/players/10/ricky_rubio/stats/282/id-1

He is only playing about 21 minutes per game. Scoring just over 6 a game. However adding over 5 Assists a game in just 21 minutes.

From my understanding he has an option in his contract to come to the NBA.

He was also quoted saying:

"The reason leading me to take this next step is to have a period of preparation to better take the challenge of the NBA in better conditions as a player. The Minnesota Timberwolves continue to be my first option and I wish to play with them in thenear future."

So do you guys think he comes over next year?

NYK_kidd77
02-15-2010, 07:17 PM
No

PatsSoxKnicks
02-15-2010, 07:20 PM
I think he's lying about wanting to play for the T-wolves.

Fresno
02-15-2010, 07:20 PM
No, unless they trade his rights to a major market.

Hes saying nice things about Minnesota because they are the only team that can put money into his buyout to bring him over next season.

Fresno
02-15-2010, 07:21 PM
I think he's lying about wanting to play for the T-wolves.

He wants them to put the $500K needed to help buy him out. If Minnesota doesn't do so then he wont play in the NBA until 2013.

PistonsFan14
02-15-2010, 07:23 PM
If thats the case the t-wolves should trade him this summer. Im not sure whatthe market is for him.. im gonna guess its not what it was this past summer but im sure there is teams out there that would give a 1st rounder for him...

New York sounds perfect but i know they dont have a 1st rounder this year. Maybe the year afters?

Hellcrooner
02-15-2010, 07:27 PM
He is not coming.

He signed a contact where his BUYOUT for this first summer is about 6 Million Dollars.

Nba teams can only pay 500000 for buyouts ( something that needs to be mended RIGHT NOW) so no team can allow to pay that buyout.

providing rubio wanted to put ALL his salary into the buyout and play or FREE his total rookie salary plus the 500000 dollars from the team arestill not enough.

SO basically

1 he will not join nba until 2011 when his buyout goes down to 2 million.

2 he will join nba in 2010 if woves trade him to a BIG CITY like NY or L.A in order that Mcadonalds, or COke, or GIllette, or dunkin donuts :p sign RUbio a 10 million a year contract in endorsements that allows him to pay his buyout himself.

Last: Check Pau Gasols TOny Parkers , Jose Calderons, GInobilis or Dirks stats in europe before joining NBA.

They CANT BE TRANSLATED AT ALL.....game is too different.

NYtilIdie
02-15-2010, 07:27 PM
Well you don't expect him to come and say "Get me the **** outta Minnesota". I think the main reason he stayed overseas (besides the buyout) is he was hoping to be traded, but since Kahn told him they'll wait for him his plan backfired.

All I know is there is going to be an unhappy camper in Sessions if Rubio does come along next year since Rubio's going to eat his minutes.

RadiantShot
02-15-2010, 07:30 PM
Ricky Rubio's going to end up being the next Fran Vasquez.

We (The Magic) got ****ed on that draft.

Fresno
02-15-2010, 07:30 PM
If thats the case the t-wolves should trade him this summer. Im not sure whatthe market is for him.. im gonna guess its not what it was this past summer but im sure there is teams out there that would give a 1st rounder for him...
The T'Wolves made a huge mistake gambling for Rubio considering they then took Flynn aswell and Flynn is becoming a pretty good NBA PG.

I have no clue what they were thinking but eventually somebody will reveal their thinking process 20 years from now. Rubio's value will drop each season as he gets older because of the time period for him to transition to the NBA, thats why guys like Jaskivicious(sp?) & Spanoulis(sp?) didn't last long because of their age and teams didnt want to spend 3-5 years allowing these guys to transition to the NBA and by the time they fit they are already in their 30's.

New York sounds perfect but i know they dont have a 1st rounder this year. Maybe the year afters?

I really think the best deal would be to trade Rubio for Wilson Chandler, he does qualify as a "young, talented small forward" who could possibly excel elsewhere where he wouldn't have to play out of position.

Fresno
02-15-2010, 07:34 PM
He is not coming.

He signed a contact where his BUYOUT for this first summer is about 6 Million Dollars.

Nba teams can only pay 500000 for buyouts ( something that needs to be mended RIGHT NOW) so no team can allow to pay that buyout.

providing rubio wanted to put ALL his salary into the buyout and play or FREE his total rookie salary plus the 500000 dollars from the team arestill not enough.

SO basically

1 he will not join nba until 2011 when his buyout goes down to 2 million.

2 he will join nba in 2010 if woves trade him to a BIG CITY like NY or L.A in order that Mcadonalds, or COke, or GIllette, or dunkin donuts :p sign RUbio a 10 million a year contract in endorsements that allows him to pay his buyout himself.

Last: Check Pau Gasols TOny Parkers , Jose Calderons, GInobilis or Dirks stats in europe before joining NBA.

They CANT BE TRANSLATED AT ALL.....game is too different.

Thats the main reason why Rubio wants to go to a major media market because the value of his endorsement contracts increase, allowing for him to pay off his buyout.

Rubio is sponsored by McDonalds, Coca Cola, Gillette, Nike, among others. Him coming to a media market like New York increases his endorsement value as he will be reaching way more people as the face of the Knicks, and that reach goes further than just Knicks basketball fans. It goes to the casual New Yorker who can identify with the Knicks by seeing a Rubio ad or commercial.

PistonsFan14
02-15-2010, 07:36 PM
Yeah i dont know what their organization was thinking either. My best guess was they thought they could trade him.

Twolves Current:
Flynn
Brewer
Gomes
Love
Jefferson

What Could have been:
Flynn
Mayo
Gomes
Jordan Hill (instead of rubio)
Jefferson

Sad...

Fresno
02-15-2010, 07:37 PM
Ricky Rubio's going to end up being the next Fran Vasquez.

We (The Magic) got ****ed on that draft.

Vazquez could still come over to America, but just like Rubio possibly his value has dropped off the face of the Earth considering his age.

Now it seems like he could make more staying in Spain than coming to America as basically just a role player or even a bench warmer.

Fresno
02-15-2010, 07:42 PM
Yeah i dont know what their organization was thinking either. My best guess was they thought they could trade him.

Twolves Current:
Flynn
Brewer
Gomes
Love
Jefferson

What Could have been:
Flynn
Mayo
Gomes
Jefferson

Sad...

I was probably the only person who thought it made more sense for Minnesota to package the #5 and #6 picks to trade up with the Clippers for Blake Griffin.

Dont forget that Minnesota drafted Ty Lawson and traded him for a future 1st Round Pick, and in the process they passed on not only Lawson, Collison, Casspi, Blair, Gibson, Claver, etc. Any of those guys could've had a huge impact on their team this season, espescially Blair who would've given Minnesota the best young frontcourt in the NBA.

Vinny642
02-15-2010, 07:43 PM
I want this little punk to come to the NBA so CP and DWill can school him.

Hellcrooner
02-15-2010, 07:45 PM
Vazquez will Join Magic this summer or never at all he is a FA so no buyout involved.

hey Should definetly offer him to come,

Rubio in the worst case will be a Fa at age 22!!!! thats not to late to jooin the leage.

Also the mistake was not getting rubio the mistake was getng FLYNN right next and then another pg more.

that made rubio familiy feel unsure bout how serious wolves were about rubio.

PistonsFan14
02-15-2010, 07:48 PM
I was probably the only person who thought it made more sense for Minnesota to package the #5 and #6 picks to trade up with the Clippers for Blake Griffin.

Dont forget that Minnesota drafted Ty Lawson and traded him for a future 1st Round Pick, and in the process they passed on not only Lawson, Collison, Casspi, Blair, Gibson, Claver, etc. Any of those guys could've had a huge impact on their team this season, espescially Blair who would've given Minnesota the best young frontcourt in the NBA.

Damn i forgot about that too... T-Wolves have had so many chances to put a good team out there.. the sad thing is its not to late but its getting harder. I dont know what there mission is. Now trying to trade jefferson rumour has it? Jefferson sounds like a guy you build around, along with love and flynn.

My best suggestion is trade him to new york or somwhere and take what you can get. There is no way he is coming to minnesota.

Fresno
02-15-2010, 07:51 PM
Damn i forgot about that too... T-Wolves have had so many chances to put a good team out there.. the sad thing is its not to late but its getting harder. I dont know what there mission is. Now trying to trade jefferson rumour has it? Jefferson sounds like a guy you build around, along with love and flynn.

My best suggestion is trade him to new york or somwhere and take what you can get. There is no way he is coming to minnesota.

They may or may not trade Jefferson but I honestly have no clue what Kahn is thinking with these decisions. Hes much better than Kevin McFail but hes already said Minnesota isnt going to contend for 3-5 years. Why tell your fanbase you arent trying to put a contending team together now rather than spending time waiting.

People thought OKC was going to spend 3-5 years rebuilding to become a Playoff team and it only took 2 seasons.

Fresno
02-15-2010, 07:55 PM
Vazquez will Join Magic this summer or never at all he is a FA so no buyout involved.

hey Should definetly offer him to come,

Rubio in the worst case will be a Fa at age 22!!!! thats not to late to jooin the leage.

Also the mistake was not getting rubio the mistake was getng FLYNN right next and then another pg more.

that made rubio familiy feel unsure bout how serious wolves were about rubio.

Hey escuchen idiota dejar de usar las traducciones a escribir sus mensajes y simplemente se escribe en espaņol

Hellcrooner
02-15-2010, 07:58 PM
I want this little punk to come to the NBA so CP and DWill can school him.
if ty didt manage to punk him in the olympcis when he was barely 17 what makes you think they will punk him at 20 or 21 with a more develped body and skills?

PistonsFan14
02-15-2010, 07:59 PM
the t-wolves are like the oakland raiders of basketball when it comes to front office ordeals.

melbnutz
02-15-2010, 08:35 PM
i dont think many of you have studied up on david kahn's plans for the wolves. yes, this year it looks bad for the wolves and some question why he drafted so many point guards. the wolves drafted based on value, not needs. they have many needs and just picking up a guy based on a need could burn you in the long run. instead they drafted the best available players and now have assets. rubio's stock should only go up considering he is only 19? they drafted lawson to trade him to denver and now the wolves have a mid 1st round pick from denver this year in what is said to be a much stronger draft, makes sense to me. i wouldnt want to waste a pick on some garbage player just to fill needs either, unless you want to stay mediocore forever. obviously if rubio comes over to the wolves then sessions or flynn will be traded or the wolves can trade rubio for a high lottery pick, either way, it can be a win-win for them. everyone needs to see what kahn has done. he has 3 first round picks this summer in a much stronger draft, compared to a point guard heavy, weak draft last year. he also has moved contracts around to optimize cap-space, they have like 14 mil in space next summer, and if you offer good money and sell your plans to a rudy gay-type player, they would go to minny, minny is cold, but its a great city to live in, if you can handle cleveland or chicago or detroit, you can handle the twin cities. they also have one of the best centers in europe that is coming over next year, so i would hold off on judging this team until next season and see what they look like, ohh and kahn said they are 3-5 years away from a championship contender, and about 3 years from a playoff team, so he thinks next year they will be close and the year after they are a playoff team. i like the future of the wolves, they have lots to be excited for.

Raph12
02-15-2010, 08:46 PM
I think he's overrated, I'll wait to see what he does in the NBA before hopping on board.

ILLN355
02-15-2010, 09:05 PM
i dont think many of you have studied up on david kahn's plans for the wolves. yes, this year it looks bad for the wolves and some question why he drafted so many point guards. the wolves drafted based on value, not needs. they have many needs and just picking up a guy based on a need could burn you in the long run. instead they drafted the best available players and now have assets. rubio's stock should only go up considering he is only 19? they drafted lawson to trade him to denver and now the wolves have a mid 1st round pick from denver this year in what is said to be a much stronger draft, makes sense to me. i wouldnt want to waste a pick on some garbage player just to fill needs either, unless you want to stay mediocore forever. obviously if rubio comes over to the wolves then sessions or flynn will be traded or the wolves can trade rubio for a high lottery pick, either way, it can be a win-win for them. everyone needs to see what kahn has done. he has 3 first round picks this summer in a much stronger draft, compared to a point guard heavy, weak draft last year. he also has moved contracts around to optimize cap-space, they have like 14 mil in space next summer, and if you offer good money and sell your plans to a rudy gay-type player, they would go to minny, minny is cold, but its a great city to live in, if you can handle cleveland or chicago or detroit, you can handle the twin cities. they also have one of the best centers in europe that is coming over next year, so i would hold off on judging this team until next season and see what they look like, ohh and kahn said they are 3-5 years away from a championship contender, and about 3 years from a playoff team, so he thinks next year they will be close and the year after they are a playoff team. i like the future of the wolves, they have lots to be excited for.

whos that?

Fresno
02-15-2010, 09:12 PM
whos that?

I have no clue.

Doesn't Boston own the rights to Semih Erden?

Is the guy talking about Henk Norel?

JJ_JKidd
02-15-2010, 09:16 PM
I dont care abt this overrated Erik Morales look-alike. He can stay in Spain forever and just try to be a matador!

PistonsFan14
02-15-2010, 09:27 PM
hahaha. The thing is tho like i said before, with all the screw ups they still have the potential to put together a solid team.

mikantsass
02-15-2010, 09:29 PM
The kid is goin to get his ### handed to him in the NBA, who cares.....

SpectrumDweller
02-15-2010, 09:34 PM
People have been listing all of the would be moves of the Timberwolves from the past few years, but there is one huge move that is being overlooked and I think it's the worst of the bunch. THE TIMBERWOLVES DRAFTED BRANDON ROY AND TRADED HIM TO THE TRAIL BLAZERS FOR RANDY FOYE. I know they probably would have won more games and therefore had lesser draft picks, but just imagine.....

C - Al Jefferson
PF - Kevin Love
SF - Ryan Gomes/Corey Brewer
SG - Brandon Roy
PG - Johnny Flynn

their second pick could have been used on a number of players.....
Stephen Curry, Jordan Hill, DeMar DeRozan , Gerald Henderson

They then could have kept Ty Lawson and drafted DeJuan Blair instead of Wayne Ellington

It is easy to say all of this now because no one could have predicted how each player would play, but this is fun to think of regardless.

Philly Hammer
02-15-2010, 09:35 PM
He might come over but, not to play with the Timberwolves hell if I was him I wouldn't want to play for that crap franchise either.

Philly Hammer
02-15-2010, 09:38 PM
the t-wolves are like the oakland raiders of basketball when it comes to front office ordeals.LOL one of the dumbest franchises to date they give up better talent than they keep.

FLWolvesFan
02-15-2010, 10:35 PM
the t-wolves are like the oakland raiders of basketball when it comes to front office ordeals.

Which means the Wolves are a couple of steps above the lousy Lions as an organization;)

Hawkeye15
02-15-2010, 11:11 PM
Rubio can't be bought out until the summer of 2011. Next thread please

td0tsfinest
02-15-2010, 11:40 PM
he's not going to be a great scorer in this league but he's got all the tools to be a great passer.

As for is he coming next year, no. Barca just bought out his contract with DKV, so they expect him to be there for at least 2 years. If he wants to leave his buyout is going to be huge. With his rookie salary, he wouldn't be able to afford it.

BTW, does anyone know how many minutes there are in a European Basketball game?

topdog
02-16-2010, 12:03 AM

Twolves Current:
Flynn
Brewer
Gomes
Love
Jefferson

What Could have been:
Flynn
Mayo
Gomes
Jefferson

Sad...

:sigh:
That sounds awful. It's easy to play revisionist history especially with the Wolves but Love is way better than Hill and imo better than Mayo too. I'd rather have Casspi than Hill or Mayo.

Flynn (Rubio eventually... maybe)
Casspi
Brewer (much improved this year)
Love
Jefferson

Ray_R
02-16-2010, 12:03 AM
How long does Minny Hold his rights for????

Mauersota
02-16-2010, 12:37 AM
How long does Minny Hold his rights for????

Forever unless he would take a full year off and not receive a single penny for playing basketball for MN to lose his rights.

Twinsfan24
02-16-2010, 12:37 AM
Why did anyone post this cause its gonna be a knick fan takeover...................NO MORE RUBIO TALK...

Hellcrooner
02-16-2010, 12:54 AM
he's not going to be a great scorer in this league but he's got all the tools to be a great passer.

As for is he coming next year, no. Barca just bought out his contract with DKV, so they expect him to be there for at least 2 years. If he wants to leave his buyout is going to be huge. With his rookie salary, he wouldn't be able to afford it.

BTW, does anyone know how many minutes there are in a European Basketball game?

4 quartes of 10 minutes.

BUt he is on a DEEP team and europe basket works in a differente way.

you got always 8 or 9 players averaging 20 to 25 mpg and you barely ever see a paleyr play more than 30 mpg.

Also the scoring is shared much more the usual thing is that all the starting five scores 10 to 15 ppg .

PistonsFan14
02-16-2010, 01:14 AM
Which means the Wolves are a couple of steps above the lousy Lions as an organization;)

Hey now. Haha we (detroit lions) are under a new gm just like yous. But hey, we may draft crappy guys but atleast they would sign with us.

But then again that means they rob us. oh well i dont feel like talking about matt millen. :facepalm:

td0tsfinest
02-16-2010, 01:21 AM
4 quartes of 10 minutes.

BUt he is on a DEEP team and europe basket works in a differente way.

you got always 8 or 9 players averaging 20 to 25 mpg and you barely ever see a paleyr play more than 30 mpg.

Also the scoring is shared much more the usual thing is that all the starting five scores 10 to 15 ppg .

I don't think the euroleague should be underestimated.

I'm still trying to figure out how Brandon Jennings is excelling in his first year in the nba but his tenure in Roma wasn't that great.

Hellcrooner
02-16-2010, 01:38 AM
Jeenings didnt esceel in europe because he didnt buy into the mentallity you know? no first or secdon optin alyers, no plays made for the "star" jsut team game and give it to the open man or the one on astreak that night no mater if its a role player.

Where's KG?
02-16-2010, 01:56 AM
He might come over but, not to play with the Timberwolves hell if I was him I wouldn't want to play for that crap franchise either.

Last I checked your team is gonna be in the lottery next year too. I definitely think the Wolves have a better future than your team right now. Jonny Flynn, Al Jefferson, Kevin Love are good building blocks. 3 1st round picks next year does not hurt either. Also last I checked you have 33 million a year wrapped up in Iggy and Elton Brand until 2013. Don't talk down on another teams moves till you clean up your own house. We will get value outta Rubio. Whether we trade him (which i personally hope we do) or he plays here.

Oefarmy2005
02-16-2010, 02:15 AM
I still don't understand why people are talking so much trash about the Wolves. We did have some moments and were a good team with KG. It's been 2 and a half seasons since he left, it's not like it's been 10. We are basically back to year one rebuilding with a new GM and coaching staff, so I'd give it some time before I judge Kahn. And talking about past mistakes the Wolves made: We also traded Ray Allen for Stephon Marbury, didn't resign Billups, drafted Mc'Cants ahead of Granger and the list can go on. But can you all seriously say I can't make that list about any other team in the league? Name one?

JNA17
02-16-2010, 02:17 AM

Twolves Current:
Flynn
Brewer
Gomes
Love
Jefferson

What Could have been:
Flynn
Mayo
Gomes
Jefferson

Sad...

wolves have a crush on point guards

Philly Hammer
02-16-2010, 03:32 AM
:sigh:
That sounds awful. It's easy to play revisionist history especially with the Wolves but Love is way better than Hill and imo better than Mayo too. I'd rather have Casspi than Hill or Mayo.

Flynn (Rubio eventually... maybe)
Casspi
Brewer (much improved this year)
Love
Jefferson:facepalm: get off the crack rock please.

Philly Hammer
02-16-2010, 03:43 AM
Last I checked your team is gonna be in the lottery next year too. I definitely think the Wolves have a better future than your team right now. Jonny Flynn, Al Jefferson, Kevin Love are good building blocks. 3 1st round picks next year does not hurt either. Also last I checked you have 33 million a year wrapped up in Iggy and Elton Brand until 2013. Don't talk down on another teams moves till you clean up your own house. We will get value outta Rubio. Whether we trade him (which i personally hope we do) or he plays here.blah blah blah 3 first round picks whatever. Giving minnesota 3 first round picks is like giving a crack head money you know for a fact their going to blow it. I just hope the Sixers are on the other end of the deal to clean up when the twolves decide to waste every single one of those draft picks by making their usual mindless trades.

boeknows
02-16-2010, 04:46 AM
Wow so many people in this thread have no clue what they are talking about when it comes to Minny.

Giaps
02-16-2010, 11:40 AM
I don't know, but I do know that 1 of Rubio or Flynn will get traded if they're both on the team. Having them both there is just plain stupid.

Hellcrooner
02-16-2010, 11:52 AM
^ well teams like stupidness.

like having Eddie Jones and Kobe for 2 seasons.

Lo Porto
02-16-2010, 12:17 PM
Minny is trying to get a good young SF according to all reports. Why not trade Rubio's rights to NY for Chandler, 2 2nd round picks and the max cash allowed? NY or Minny wouldn't get Rubio until 2011 anyway due to that contract he signed last summer.

Chandler is a good young cheap SF that would compliment Love and Jefferson.

mr.awesome
02-16-2010, 12:18 PM
you can't judge Rubio yet.when he comes here and sucks then you can jump all over his ***.

Hawkeye15
02-16-2010, 12:46 PM
:facepalm: get off the crack rock please.

please demonstrate why Mayo is better than Love if you will. I will then crap on your argument. Its really not a debate at this point. One is a one dimensional scorer, of which there are many in the NBA, the other is a dominant rebounder, passer, and can score 20 points any given game. One is not efficient, the other is. Let me know what you come up with hammertime

Hawkeye15
02-16-2010, 12:48 PM
blah blah blah 3 first round picks whatever. Giving minnesota 3 first round picks is like giving a crack head money you know for a fact their going to blow it. I just hope the Sixers are on the other end of the deal to clean up when the twolves decide to waste every single one of those draft picks by making their usual mindless trades.

again, before you write your drivel, please demonstrate as to why the Sixers have a brighter future than the Wolves. Don't just talk smack without actually posting something reasonable. I await your killer response

Vinny642
02-16-2010, 05:32 PM
if ty didt manage to punk him in the olympcis when he was barely 17 what makes you think they will punk him at 20 or 21 with a more develped body and skills?

Haha how cute your actually trying to compare NBA play with olympic play