PDA

View Full Version : Allow Me to Clear up the 2002 WCF Controversy

amos1er
02-14-2010, 09:18 PM
The average novice NBA fan will often bring up game 6 of the 2002 WCF when the Lakers shot 15 more free throw attempts than the Queens as the greatest robbery in NBA history. Allow me to clear up this little misconception. . .

In game 3 the Queens shot 25 more than the Lakers. How come no one ever mentions this?

In fact, they shot 23 more for the ENTIRE SERIES!!!

That year, Shaq lead the league in free throw attempts and Kobe was in the top five in free throw attempts. . .Yet the Queens got to the line more times than the Lakers. Doesn't that seem fishy?

If anything they had the overall advantage with the refs, yet we (Laker fans) still hear about how the league robbed the Queens to this day.

http://www.nba.com/games/20020531/SACLAL/boxscore.html

Fact is, Tim Donaghy chose this particular game as his point of reference in attacking the NBA because he knew it would grab the most attention. Most of the NBA fan base is jealous of the Lakers success and view the Laker franchise as an evil empire, similar to the Yankees. Donaghy needed something that would rile people up the most in his attack on David Stern. He knew that the best way to go about that was to prey off the overall hate for the Laker franchise.

Had he mentioned that in the 2004 Finals the Pistons shot 171 free throws to the Lakers 111. 60 MORE FTA FOR THE PISTONS IN ONLY A SEVEN GAME SERIES. An average of 12 more a game for the pistons. In 2004 the Lakers averaged more FTA than the Pistons throughout the regular season and the playoffs. Shaq was again the league leader in Free throw attempts and Kobe was in the top 5. So how the hell did the Pistons dominate the Lakers in free throw attempts in the finals. The real robbery was in a pivotal game five when the Pistons shot 19 more free thows than did the Lakers. Yet the majority of NBA fans will still cry about the 15 more that the Lakers had in game six of the 2002 WCF. :rolleyes:

BTW, this was the largest overall free throw disparity in NBA Finals history for a five game series. Yet Donaghy chose not to reference this game in his attack on Stern dispite the fact that the free throw disparity overall was much more controversial. Most likely because the story of a working class team like the Pistons defeating the evil empire of the Lakers touched the hearts of America. He knew that most of the NBA fan base loves to hate the Lakers and that this story would not be as devastating as the game 6 of the 2002 WCF, and he was right.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/playoffs/NBA_2004_finals.html

How come Donaghy didn't mention the 2006 NBA finals? A series which was riddled with bias one sided officiating that favored the Heat. In game 5, Wade went to the line as many times as the entire Mavricks squad including a last second phantom foul that guaranteed the Heat the win. HE WENT TO THE LINE 25 TIMES!!! The Heat had 24 more free throw attempts than the Mavricks. Yet we hear more about the 15 more that Lakers had than the Queens in game 6 of the WCF. :facepalm:

Dwane Wade set a new NBA Finals record that year by attempting 96 free throws in a 6 game series (16 per game). :pity:

Donaghy did not choose this as his reference point because he knew that most NBA fans hate Kobe Bryant and would love to see him replaced by either Dwane Wade or Lebron James as the leagues best player. Had he used this story, the only support he would have gained would have been from Laker fans and Mavrick fans.

http://www.nba.com/games/20060618/DALMIA/boxscore.html

http://www.nba.com/finals2006/

http://www.ericfolkerth.com/wheneftalks/files/archive-jun-2006.html

In game 2 of the 2008 NBA finals, The Celtics went to the line 38 times to the Lakers 10. Leon Poe, a bench player (who's life story happened to be the focus of the half time show) attempted 13, more than the entire Laker team, including Kobe Bryant the MVP of that year who was top 3 in FTA for both the regular and post season. The Celtics had 28 more freethow attempts than the Lakers in that game, yet a bigger deal is made about the 15 more the Lakers had than the Queens in game six of the 2002 WCF. :eyebrow:

http://www.nba.com/games/20080608/LALBOS/boxscore.html

Fact is the Lakers endure more BS than any other team in the NBA. If any of the situations I mentioned above were reversed and the other teams got ****ed that badly by the refs in a game agains the Lakers, the Lakers would be crucified. But since it was the Lakers getting ****ed and everyone loves to see us get ****ed, everything is ok and everyone will continue to refer to game six of the 2002 WCF as the most corrupt game in NBA history. Despite all the evidence I have brought forth that proves otherwise beyond a shadow of a doubt.

ManRam
02-14-2010, 09:23 PM
I'll read it later...but anytime you are trying to write a non-bias and completely objective article, here's a tip: don't say "Queens". It kills most of the credibility you need to actually convince anyone.

And # of FTs shot is a terrible way to judge fairness of a game. What if the Kings were actually fouled significantly more??? The only way to prove anything is empirical evidence, not FTA. I know I didn't read any of it yet, but just some thoughts.

ChiSox219
02-14-2010, 09:31 PM
I'll read it later...but anytime you are trying to write a non-bias and completely objective article, here's a tip: don't say "Queens". It kills most of the credibility you need to actually convince anyone.

And # of FTs shot is a terrible way to judge fairness of a game. What if the Kings were actually fouled significantly more??? The only way to prove anything is empirical evidence, not FTA. I know I didn't read any of it yet, but just some thoughts.

Win.

JordansBulls
02-14-2010, 09:31 PM
The average novice NBA fan will often bring up game 6 of the 2002 WCF when the Lakers shot 15 more free throw attempts than the Queens as the greatest robbery in NBA history. Allow me to clear up this little misconception. . .

In game 3 the Queens shot 25 more than the Lakers. How come no one ever mentions this?

Because the Lakers were blown out in game 3. If it was a close game throughout then you may have a point, but it wasn't. In fact the Kings were up like 20 after the 1st quarter. Lakers never had a chance in game 3. While Game 6 was nip and tuck throughout.

amos1er
02-14-2010, 09:32 PM

Yet we always hear how it was so unfair that the Lakers had 15 more FTA than the Queens in game six of the WCF and how they got robbed. I'm just sick of hearing the crying when its the Lakers who get ****ed more than any other team. I have documented proof to back up what I say as well.

td0tsfinest
02-14-2010, 09:35 PM
someone want to sum up what he's saying

MGB
02-14-2010, 09:39 PM
someone want to sum up what he's saying

here's the gist of it: "I love the Lakers and hate the "Queens," stop trying to hate on my Lakers. I'm 12 years old and didn't watch the series. FTA are the best indicator of fairness. Go Lakers!"

And I didn't even have to read the whole thing.