PDA

View Full Version : OJ MAYO the next KB24

mp3
02-14-2010, 04:29 PM
Does anyone think that OJ Mayo can be the next Kobe Bryant. Mayo is very young still and is a pure scorer and is probably only going to get better.
Whats your opinion?

Ryan328
02-14-2010, 04:29 PM
Mayo is gonna have a great career in my opinion. The next Kobe? Def not.

clutchski
02-14-2010, 04:30 PM
Not the next KB.

Storch
02-14-2010, 04:33 PM
Kobe is not a pure scorer, he's a great defender. Thread fail.

RocketsRule
02-14-2010, 04:34 PM
He may be a Kobe-lite, but that may be the best he become.

Raph12
02-14-2010, 04:38 PM
No chance, he'd be damn lucky to become the next Ray Ray.

Hellcrooner
02-14-2010, 04:43 PM
No.

Next Ray Allen maybe.

He better hope Gay does not resign and Hollins does not wake up and allow Marc Gasol more shots or he will end up beng a role player.

Unfortunantely.

Because i think he should be the main man in Grizz and they shoudl trade Gay.

RocketsRule
02-14-2010, 04:45 PM
No.

Next Ray Allen maybe.

He better hope Gay does not resign and Hollins does not wake up and allow Marc Gasol more shots or he will end up beng a role player.

Unfortunantely.

:facepalm:

ElMarroAfamado
02-14-2010, 04:56 PM
not the next Kobe since i dont think he can ever become as good a shooter from all over the court like kobe...
and he takes too many ill advised shots that he misses horribly....
he reminds me more of an allen iverson than anything....in the future he might be the type to score 30-40 points every game simply cause he takes like a million shots

Hustla23
02-14-2010, 04:57 PM
He may be a Kobe-lite, but that may be the best he become.
I like this. He might be "Kobe-lite."

When Kobe was in his physical prime, he was tremendously athletic, quick, and strong.

I don't see how Kobe and Mayo compare physically at all.

I think Mayo will be a good player, but based on his physical peripherals, I can't see him becoming a legendary superstar, ala Kobe Bryant.

IversonIsKrazy
02-14-2010, 05:01 PM
I like to compare him more as a small Melo. He will have a very good career, but not a Kobe-like career. I think Melo is a lot better comparison, a pure scorer with a great jab-step shot, and spinmove.

mikantsass
02-14-2010, 05:10 PM
No.

Next Ray Allen maybe.

Unfortunantely.

Was that a joke?

Hellcrooner
02-14-2010, 05:13 PM
^no is not one woudl think a player that gets 15ppg in 8 friggins shots per game should get some more touches.

with 13 or 14 a game he becomes a 20 ppg 10rpg played

NYtilIdie
02-14-2010, 05:15 PM
No.

Next Ray Allen maybe.

Unfortunantely.

You would make Rudy Fernadez the main man on Blazers if you were in charge solely because he's a spanish player.

Hell you would probably trade Brandon Roy and Lamarcus Albridge if it meant getting Marc Gasol and Sergio Rodriguez.

Kobe4Life
02-14-2010, 05:17 PM
Does anyone think that OJ Mayo can be the next Kobe Bryant. Mayo is very young still and is a pure scorer and is probably only going to get better.
Whats your opinion?

oh and Brian Scalabrine is the next Larry Bird.......right....

Kyben36
02-14-2010, 05:25 PM
Kobe isnt even on the level of OJ mayo, Mayo is going to be better than MJ himself.

dominater6192
02-14-2010, 05:32 PM
Mayo will never average 25PPG 5RPG AND 5APG in a season, Kobe has averaged that in his career. Mayo is a good player but I doubt he'll ever even be an All-Star in the West and the next Kobe that is a joke right?

Hellcrooner
02-14-2010, 05:33 PM

You would make Rudy Fernadez the main man on Blazers if you were in charge solely because he's a spanish player.

Hell you would probably trade Brandon Roy and Lamarcus Albridge if it meant getting Marc Gasol and Sergio Rodriguez.

do you read or just say Hellcrooner Marc gasol spanish bias....

the thread is about MAYO

and what im saying is

1 Gay should be traded

2 MAYO should be the main guy in grizz.

3 Marc gasol should get more touches.

Basically scoring options for grizz 1 Mayo 2 Marc 3 Zach.

but what will PROBABLY HAPPEN

1 they resign gay and given his good numbers hollins makes more plays for marc

Options 1 Gay 2 Zach 3 Marc = oj ends up being role player.

Deezys 40th acc
02-14-2010, 05:38 PM
^no is not one woudl think a player that gets 15ppg in 8 friggins shots per game should get some more touches.

with 13 or 14 a game he becomes a 20 ppg 10rpg played

Marc gasol gets plenty of touches. Just cause he is a spaniard dosent mean you have to think he is abused by not getting the ball. I watch him game in and game out and he gets enough touches so stop sayin that ****

showtym24
02-14-2010, 05:42 PM
No. He doesnt have the talent of kobe, and no where near the passion/killer instinct.

Wisdom Listens
02-14-2010, 05:43 PM

Whats your opinion?

Of course not. More like the next Gilbert Arenas (if he's lucky), but certainly not the next Kobe Bryant.

Deezys 40th acc
02-14-2010, 05:44 PM
No. He doesnt have the talent of kobe, and no where near the passion/killer instinct.

Dude you've probably barely even see the grizz and mayo play

YoungOne
02-14-2010, 05:44 PM
i think he will be a good scorer maybe like michael redd, of course without the injuries ..

Agar81
02-14-2010, 05:46 PM
I agree with Hellcrooner. Marc Gasol should be getting more touches. Gay is too streaky to be getting all the looks he has.

Agar81
02-14-2010, 05:48 PM
Deezy why don't you stop ridiculing everybody with your unnecessary profanity. This is an online forum where people are supposed to share their opinions. If you're going to post unintelligent posts like this you should leave because you don't want to hear anybody elses opinion

mrblisterdundee
02-14-2010, 05:49 PM
He's started out faster than Kobe Bryant, but the rest remains to be seen. Maybe in a bid to win quick and save the Grizzies' franchise, Memphis will trade Marc Gasol and OJ Mayo to Los Angeles for Kobe Bryant and Pau Gasol (please understand that I am kidding).
If Mayo becomes the focal point of the offense - after Zach Randolph is gone - then he can be like Kobe. It all depends on how much he gets to the rim, which translates into how much he is willing to work (Spike Lee's "Kobe Bryant: Puttin' Work In," or something like that). Mayo has the ability, though. He also has a good secondary supporting cast.

Wisdom Listens
02-14-2010, 05:50 PM
Deezy why don't you stop ridiculing everybody with your unnecessary profanity. This is an online forum where people are supposed to share their opinions.

Banned.

AI4MVP
02-14-2010, 05:51 PM
OJ Mayo=Brandon Roy

Agar81
02-14-2010, 05:52 PM
Banned.

good

Hellcrooner
02-14-2010, 05:54 PM
Marc gasol gets plenty of touches. Just cause he is a spaniard dosent mean you have to think he is abused by not getting the ball. I watch him game in and game out and he gets enough touches so stop sayin that ****

Zach Randolph : 846 attempts

Rudy Gay :796 attepts

Oj Mayo :769 attempts

Marc Gasol : 478 attemtps

so basicaly marc gets HALF the shots Zach gets and 55% of the shots fay and mayo get

Zach 20.5 ppg

gay 19.8 ppg

mayo 17.7 ppg

Gsol 14.9 ppg

so let me get this straight

Zach needs to shot TWICE te times marc shots to get 5 more points
:rolleyes:

Gay needs to shot almost tice the times to get 4 more points :facepalm:

Mayo needs to *** almost twice the times to get 3 more points :eyebrow:

Yeah im obviously spaniard biased.....

GiantYankKnicks
02-14-2010, 05:57 PM
A Smaller Joe Johnson is his ceiling imo

heathonater
02-14-2010, 06:02 PM
hes a good player, but he will never be good as kobe. i dont see mayo going down as an all time great player like kobe.

RadiantShot
02-14-2010, 06:08 PM
Next Kobe?
He won't even reach Ray Allen status.

mavwar53
02-14-2010, 06:11 PM
mayo is not going to be anywhere near kobe what a joke

GreenMan305
02-14-2010, 06:16 PM
lol @ this thread... please delete account

smith&wesson
02-14-2010, 06:35 PM
oj mayo wont ever be as complete as kobe is....
maybe more like stackhouse in his early years.

amos1er
02-14-2010, 06:39 PM
Whats your opinion?

Ummmmm..........no.

Check back with me in five years. :rolleyes:

Boston-Born
02-14-2010, 06:43 PM
do you read or just say Hellcrooner Marc gasol spanish bias....

the thread is about MAYO

and what im saying is

1 Gay should be traded

2 MAYO should be the main guy in grizz.

3 Marc gasol should get more touches.

Basically scoring options for grizz 1 Mayo 2 Zach 3 Marc.

but what will PROBABLY HAPPEN

1 they resign gay and given his good numbers hollins makes more plays for marc

Options 1 Gay 2 Zach 3 Marc = oj ends up being role player.

*fixed

Team*Chicago
02-14-2010, 06:55 PM
After he got his -ss whooped by some rookies that came out of a weak draft class, he'll never be the next Kobe. He's not playing in the All-Star game and he's not even Kobe's replacement at shooting guard at the All-Star game. He better be like Tyrke Evans or Dejuian Blair.

Burkey3472
02-14-2010, 07:01 PM
Mayo is going to be a good player but not as good as Kobe.....not even close.

Fresno
02-14-2010, 07:04 PM
OJ wants to be a PG.

eric1501
02-14-2010, 07:19 PM
Is this thread serious? Who wants a guy that chucks up 16-20 shots a game and still only scores 16 points? And whoever said he wants to be a PG is laughable. Never seen a PG take 20 shots a game and only dish out 3 dimes a game as well.

eric1501
02-14-2010, 07:22 PM
And oh yeah I let OJ know this the other night when he was in Minnesota:

"Love > Mayo Keep chucking up bricks!"

Of course Mayo just looked at me like I was a punk but he still got the message.

Hawkeye15
02-14-2010, 07:57 PM
the next Kobe? Please. The next Ray Allen/Ben Gordon love child most likely. Mayo will be a very good scorer, but he doesn't appear to be a franchise player at this point of his career.

Hawkeye15
02-14-2010, 08:02 PM
Mayo doesn't drive, relies on his jumper, and still gets beat off the dribble. Kobe was drawing fouls left and right his 2nd year, and scoring, rebounding, and passing at a far higher pace, despite the Lakers feeble attempts to keep his growth in check. He may be the modern Reggie Miller. He aint gonna be a Wade/Kobe player

kobeonekenobe
02-14-2010, 08:42 PM
I know I'm gunna get shot down 4 this but the only young player I think u can compare 2 kobe is Kevin durant, I know their size is diferent but just the way they can score from anywhere on the court... also the way Tyreke Evans plays (if he improved his j)

mzgrizz
02-14-2010, 09:27 PM
No, I don't think he'll be a Kobe clone. He really has taken a back seat in his development with all our scorers but he does not YET seem to be affected with sharing the ball. The man has ice water in his veins; very smooth and needs to be pickier with his shot selection. But sometimes the guards chuck one up when the clock winds down and it's wasted. I'm very glad we have OJ; I think the whole lineup might get shaken up after the break(JUST A FEELING......NO SOURCE!) and we'll see better utilization of OJ's talents.

td0tsfinest
02-14-2010, 09:33 PM
weirder **** has happened.

goose15
02-14-2010, 09:36 PM
nope.

igPay atinLay
02-14-2010, 09:39 PM
No because Mayo has too much class and personality to trash his roots and alleged rape someone and pay off his wife with a huge ring so no. Basketball wise he can play some defense and not score as well as Kobe so again no.

Fresno
02-14-2010, 10:00 PM
Is this thread serious? Who wants a guy that chucks up 16-20 shots a game and still only scores 16 points? And whoever said he wants to be a PG is laughable. Never seen a PG take 20 shots a game and only dish out 3 dimes a game as well.

Actually OJ is the one who said he spent this past offseason working on his PG skills.

There is something wrong with OJ Mayo, and this has gone on since his HS days. I've been following Mayo since he was in 7th grade dominating HS seniors in Kentucky before he transfered to North College Hill.

For a guy with his talent level, he does nothing but run through the motions for most of the game. He takes bad shots, tries to be a PG and get others involved in the game but rarely sets players up for assists. Its sad almost, then at some point in the game he finds the drive and is just unstoppable he can do it all on the court. That is what seperates him from becoming like Kobe, Kobe plays with the drive to win the entire game and that drive just gets more intense the closer the score is. Like mgrizz said, OJ has ice water flowing through his veins and is smooth of a player as you will find in the NBA. He plays like he knows hes better than you, and those same qualities can be found in a guy like Kobe. If OJ finds his drive to be a winner then he will be one of the Top 5 players in the NBA, hes a complete player who just doesn't play like he should.

Fresno
02-14-2010, 10:04 PM
No, I don't think he'll be a Kobe clone. He really has taken a back seat in his development with all our scorers but he does not YET seem to be affected with sharing the ball. The man has ice water in his veins; very smooth and needs to be pickier with his shot selection. But sometimes the guards chuck one up when the clock winds down and it's wasted. I'm very glad we have OJ; I think the whole lineup might get shaken up after the break(JUST A FEELING......NO SOURCE!) and we'll see better utilization of OJ's talents.

The better way to utilize Mayo's talents is to build the team around Mayo, and Memphis is not going to do that.

Like in my other post, he doesn't seem like hes 100% focused on the game but if he realized he had to carry the team then maybe he might get more focused. Based on overall skill alone I'd take Mayo over every SG in the NBA other than Wade & Kobe right now.

Bishnoff
02-14-2010, 10:13 PM
No, he doesn't have Kobe's athleticism for starters.

fadedmario
02-14-2010, 10:24 PM
90% of the people on this thread have probably not even seen Mayo play. He's a very good player who has a very high ceiling. It's unfair to compare him to Kobe but remember this. Kobe average around 7-8 points a game his rookie season and sat the bench. If he was the world's greatest player out the gates, he would have been starting and putting up 25 5 5 right? Give the guy a break he's still young and playing on a team where two other players take a majority of the shots. When Mayo was in high school they compared him to Lebron James. The kid's got skill.

Big Quett
02-14-2010, 10:48 PM

Fans in Minny dont like him i get that. But dont just make up stuff because of that fact. he takes 15 shots and scores 18 ppg. And he is not a pg we all know that. But he IS better than Cory Brewer. You guys are happy with Kevin and we are happy with OJ GET A LIFE AND GET OVER IT

No i dont think he is going to be Kobe but is that a bad thing? Kobe is a top 2 SG of all time at the least. Just because he isnt going to be Kobe doesnt mean he wont be good.

Fresno
02-14-2010, 10:52 PM
90% of the people on this thread have probably not even seen Mayo play. He's a very good player who has a very high ceiling. It's unfair to compare him to Kobe but remember this. Kobe average around 7-8 points a game his rookie season and sat the bench. If he was the world's greatest player out the gates, he would have been starting and putting up 25 5 5 right? Give the guy a break he's still young and playing on a team where two other players take a majority of the shots. When Mayo was in high school they compared him to Lebron James. The kid's got skill.

I agree.

But wasnt Kobe the youngest player in NBA History? He started his NBA career as a 17 year old.

OJ doesnt compare to LeBron at all. I think people just gave him that comparison for how much better he was over everyone in HS, he played 6 years of HS ball considering he spent 7th and 8th grade at a Kentucky Senior High.

Cavs_Fan24
02-14-2010, 11:13 PM
I see mayo as more of a ray Allen. Since coming into the NBA he has become more of a shooter than a slasher

AntwanN21
02-14-2010, 11:29 PM
I see mayo as more of a ray Allen. Since coming into the NBA he has become more of a shooter than a slasher

no i dont think his jumper can be as great as allen, he will be a great player, not ray allen

Hawkeye15
02-15-2010, 02:52 AM

that was also a time when you could come out of high school, and the words, "upside", and "youth" werent the lead words in scouting reports. Mayo also went to a terrible team, Kobe to a very good team. Mayo was also more NBA ready at 21 (yes, he was old for a 1 year and out player) than an 18 year old Kobe. But Mayo does not have Kobe's height, athletic ability, or desire to attack the rim. He literally reminds me of Ben Gordon. The Mayo hype was compared to LeBron, but by Mayo's senior year in high school, the hype had cooled compared to LJ, and in his one year in the Pac 10, of which Love, Westbrook, Lopez, and company played just as well or better, it was shown he is a very good talent, but probably going to end up a great shooter, and that is about it.

Hawkeye15
02-15-2010, 02:53 AM
Fans in Minny dont like him i get that. But dont just make up stuff because of that fact. he takes 15 shots and scores 18 ppg. And he is not a pg we all know that. But he IS better than Cory Brewer. You guys are happy with Kevin and we are happy with OJ GET A LIFE AND GET OVER IT

No i dont think he is going to be Kobe but is that a bad thing? Kobe is a top 2 SG of all time at the least. Just because he isnt going to be Kobe doesnt mean he wont be good.

as a Wolves fan, I am happy with the trade, but Mayo would be a MONSTER upgrade at our wing positions. That isn't even debatable. I have my issues with Mayo, and was very glad we got Love and change for him, but I would never call Mayo a scrub. Far from. He will find a niche as a 20 ppg scorer who is a dead eye shooter. But what else?

HeirCanada
02-15-2010, 03:01 AM
Maybe next Arenas, or Ben Gordon.

Not Kobe.

urnuttynut
02-15-2010, 03:29 AM
if you asked me last year, i would say he'll be a great player, maybe one day a top 5 player in the league, but considering the fact he hasnt really improved in his 2nd year, comparing to kobe is just insane.

it's not fair to say next kobe... kobe might be the 2nd best SG to have ever lived. and once kobe retires... he'll get better in people's mind, much like jordan has become impossible to scratch no matter what any one will do.

let him be him, not the next "name"

fadedmario
02-15-2010, 03:44 AM
Maybe next Arenas, or Ben Gordon.

Not Kobe.

I'm a Detroit fan. So I've watched Gordon. Mayo is already better than Gordon. Arenas has never really been healthy so it's not a very fair comparison. Once again, I don't think many of you have watched Mayo play. If Rudy Gay was not on that team, his numbers would be much higher. Rudy Gay is an underrated player himself. In my opinion I think Mayo will eventually be better than Derrick Rose. That draft will be known for Mayo. He WILL be a superstar.

vash9
02-15-2010, 05:22 AM
Good player.

BUT. He's far too young to be compared to someone especially Kobe. Durant is only 3 years in, and Mayo is not even close to Durant.

He's gonna be a great player though.

Big Quett
02-15-2010, 08:05 AM
as a Wolves fan, I am happy with the trade, but Mayo would be a MONSTER upgrade at our wing positions. That isn't even debatable. I have my issues with Mayo, and was very glad we got Love and change for him, but I would never call Mayo a scrub. Far from. He will find a niche as a 20 ppg scorer who is a dead eye shooter. But what else?

You ever thought maybe that is what he is asked to do? I mean i think what he is doing is working for our team. Dont you say? All i am saying is if Minny is going to post stuff about him just make it factual. I mean dont let the facts get in the way of a good story. You act as if he cant improve. This is his second year. I think he still has a little bit time to improve.

nashty13
02-15-2010, 08:14 AM
not a chance.... kobe came in the league at 18, Mayo close to 22 despite only playing college one year. He's not as young as you'd think.

stawka
02-15-2010, 08:54 AM
Mayo>MJ>LeBron>Kobe

why are these threads made again?!

AntwanN21
02-15-2010, 11:55 AM
oj mayo will be oj mayo, i hate player comparisons just let the player be who he wants to be players can have similar styles but at the end of the day its best for a player to have his own name than share it

eric1501
02-17-2010, 10:46 AM
You ever thought maybe that is what he is asked to do? I mean i think what he is doing is working for our team. Dont you say? All i am saying is if Minny is going to post stuff about him just make it factual. I mean dont let the facts get in the way of a good story. You act as if he cant improve. This is his second year. I think he still has a little bit time to improve.

What wasn't "factual" about me saying Love > Mayo and that Mayo chucks up 16-20 shots a game and can only score 16-18 a night while dishing out 3 dimes? Again not a PG....not Kobe....End of story.

And when did I bring up Corey Brewer? Damn near every player in the league is better than Corey Brewer.

king4day
02-17-2010, 10:51 AM
I think Durant has a better chance at being the next Kobe and Mayo is nowhere near him.

Mr.Chi-Town
02-17-2010, 11:04 AM
lol @ this thread... please delete account

lol @ this post ... please delete account

Mr.Chi-Town
02-17-2010, 11:06 AM
Mayo>MJ>LeBron>Kobe

why are these threads made again?!

why are these posts made again?

GreenMan305
02-17-2010, 11:16 AM
mayo isnt going to be that much better than he is now.. all he does is jumpshoot and he is an okay passer.. doesnt offer anything other than that.. he is more of a crawford clone just not as gifted as a scorer as crawford

GreenMan305
02-17-2010, 11:16 AM
lol @ this post ... please delete account

lol uMad?

quit crying

Mr.Chi-Town
02-17-2010, 11:23 AM
lol uMad?

quit crying

im not the 1 who feels the need to complain that a thread was made then post in it crying. wah wah they keep making these threads waaaaaaahhhh.:cry:

Big Quett
02-17-2010, 11:23 AM
]What wasn't "factual" about me saying Love > Mayo and that Mayo chucks up 16-20 shots a game and can only score 16-18 a night while dishing out 3 dimes?[/B] Again not a PG....not Kobe....End of story.

And when did I bring up Corey Brewer? Damn near every player in the league is better than Corey Brewer.

Because you said he takes 20 shots and scores 16ppg.... he takes 15 shots not 20 and scores 18ppg not 16 like you previously stated. And who said he is a pg? He is a sg.

And since that trade how is you guys teams been doing huh? Another great 24 win season. Yeap you guys really won huh?

GreenMan305
02-17-2010, 11:25 AM
love >>> mayo no question.. mayo PER is falling every game.. hes almost below 14... love is a beast

Mr.Chi-Town
02-17-2010, 11:29 AM
love >>> mayo no question.. mayo PER is falling every game.. hes almost below 14... love is a beast

This i agree with you on . something tells me he gonna end up being a 6th man.(mayo that is) i think he will be more of a ben gordon.

eric1501
02-17-2010, 11:34 AM
Because you said he takes 20 shots and scores 16ppg.... he takes 15 shots not 20 and scores 18ppg not 16 like you previously stated. And who said he is a pg? He is a sg.

And since that trade how is you guys teams been doing huh? Another great 24 win season. Yeap you guys really won huh?

Read my post.....16-20 shots 16-18 points big difference....I bet Mayo would have to take another 6 shots to get from 16 points to 18 too huh? And hear we go again...Didn't bring up Corey Brewer and you do....Didn't bring up the Grizz or the Wolves and you do....Mayo will NEVER be more than a 18 and 3 guy. As Love will always AT LEAST be a 15 and 12 guy night in night out.

mser58
02-17-2010, 11:41 AM
maybe?

twoearl
02-17-2010, 11:48 AM
Did you lose a bet or something? Because the only reason somebody would create this thread is because they were forced to do so. I am not even going to dignify that question with a response.

eric1501
02-17-2010, 11:53 AM
I know this doesn't mean much because it was only the last 7 games but here is his shot selection points scored and assists in his last 7 games:

Feb 16: 5-11 15 points 2 assists
Feb 9: 7-18 16 points 4 assists
Feb 6: 7-14 16 points 4 assists
Feb 5: 4-14 11 points 1 assist
Feb 2: 4-15 10 points 4 assists
Feb 1: 3-11 9 points 1 assist
Jan 30: 8-19 17 points 3 assists

Very poor start to Feb while chucking up shots and not alot of scoring. Definatly doesn't get his team involved much either with the low assists.

eric1501
02-17-2010, 11:54 AM
Forgot to say that those last 7 games Kobe Bryant wouldn't have a stat line like that for one game especially 7 games in a row.

Stunner
02-17-2010, 12:04 PM
OJ Mayo=Brandon Roy

Good compare but i think OJ might become a lil better than Brandon. But at the end of the day is he jus OJ

Hawkeye15
02-17-2010, 02:58 PM

he can improve. He will become a better shooter. I am posting facts bro. He will be a Ben Gordon/Reggie Miller. He is probably not going to be an all around player like Kobe/Wade, etc. It has nothing to do with my being a Minnesota fan. I was not a Mayo fan when he was at USC, and I was actually disappointed the Wolves took him at #3, although I understood he was regarded as the 3rd best talent, therefore they had to take him value wise.
Like I keep saying, Mayo is a fine player. But I see his ceiling as a 22 ppg shooter, and not much else besides decent on the ball defense. He wil be that 2nd or 3rd scoring option on a playoff team. And have a good career.
But to compare him to the best SG in the last 15 years is a bit much.

Hawkeye15
02-17-2010, 03:03 PM

Love is clearly the better player, so yep. Won

LA_Raiders
02-17-2010, 03:29 PM
No

eric1501
02-17-2010, 04:00 PM
No

No? Why is Kevin Love #12 for PER? Why would he be top 3 in rebounding in the league if he played enough games this year? Double doubles nightly. Not to mention can actually pass as a big man. I guess I would rather have that guy that can "shoot the lights out" in OJ Mayo.

G-Funk
02-17-2010, 04:57 PM
I don't think it's fair for him to be compared to Kobe.

Ollie Tabooger
02-17-2010, 09:20 PM
yeah whoever said he is comparible to ben gordon is pretty accurate imo. but we'll see he could become more. Definitely not kobe though.

JNA17
02-17-2010, 09:22 PM
mayo will be great, next kobe will be extremely difficult

Big Quett
02-17-2010, 11:16 PM
he can improve. He will become a better shooter. I am posting facts bro. He will be a Ben Gordon/Reggie Miller. He is probably not going to be an all around player like Kobe/Wade, etc. It has nothing to do with my being a Minnesota fan. I was not a Mayo fan when he was at USC, and I was actually disappointed the Wolves took him at #3, although I understood he was regarded as the 3rd best talent, therefore they had to take him value wise.
Like I keep saying, Mayo is a fine player. But I see his ceiling as a 22 ppg shooter, and not much else besides decent on the ball defense. He wil be that 2nd or 3rd scoring option on a playoff team. And have a good career.
But to compare him to the best SG in the last 15 years is a bit much.

I never said he would be Kobe. Go ahead and read all my posts. And can we please put away the Love and Mayo comparison. You guys got what you wanted a pf to pair with your other pf. And we got who we wanted. Why is every time anybody brings up Mayo somebody brings up Love. GET OVER IT PEOPLE. If you say love is a better player then guess what? The Grizz are a better team and that is not even debatable

mzgrizz
02-18-2010, 01:10 AM
I never said he would be Kobe. Go ahead and read all my posts. And can we please put away the Love and Mayo comparison. You guys got what you wanted a pf to pair with your other pf. And we got who we wanted. Why is every time anybody brings up Mayo somebody brings up Love. GET OVER IT PEOPLE. If you say love is a better player then guess what? The Grizz are a better team and that is not even debatable

Well said ,Quett.....how can you really compare such different styles of players as OJ and Love? But you CAN compare the Grizzlies to the Twolves now.

Hawkeye15
02-18-2010, 02:18 AM

nah dude, I was referring to the thread. You and me have never had an issue, not starting one now. And as far as the Grizz are concerned, they started their rebuild slightly before the Wolves did. It is only natural they are ahead right now. We can revisit who is the better team in a couple of years

Hawkeye15
02-18-2010, 02:21 AM
you can compare players despite positions. Love is clearly more efficient and brings more to the table as an individual. But the team comparison, sure that is easy. wins/losses. You are 3 years into rebuilding, Kahn tore the team apart and started over with only Jefferson around. Like I said, we can revisit that in a couple of years, when our young core of Flynn, Love, Jefferson, and whatever comes of Rubio (either he is in uniform or he fetched us a good player), plus our picks this next year and tons of upcoming cash. And who knows. Gay may be wearing a Wolves jersey in November. Lots can change.
This thread was about Mayo, and him being the next Kobe. Not a good comparison. Standing by that. He will be an elite shooter. That is about all I see currently.

Big Quett
02-18-2010, 12:52 PM
nah dude, I was referring to the thread. You and me have never had an issue, not starting one now. And as far as the Grizz are concerned, they started their rebuild slightly before the Wolves did. It is only natural they are ahead right now. We can revisit who is the better team in a couple of years

I was under the impression that you guys started rebuilding after you traded Garnett. And that was before the start of the 07-08 season. The same season we traded Gasol in that season.

So how did we start earlier?

But hey your right. the good thing about it is it will play out on the court.

JayW_1023
02-18-2010, 12:55 PM
Just because he looks and acts a bit like Kobe don't make him Kobe. He can however become a great shooter who plays at his own relaxing pace...and drains jumpers with veins of ice. Mayo reminds me of a more athletic Chris Mullin.

Ssshbliblibl00p
02-18-2010, 01:05 PM
You get bloop for this thread.

(chris carter)....CMMMMMMMON MANNNNNNN!