PDA

View Full Version : Competitions they should add to All Star Weekend

69centers
02-14-2010, 12:26 AM
Can anyone think of any other games for All Star Weekend?

I think they should add a free throw shooting contest. To see who can hit the most in a row without missing.

Also, a 1-on-1 game tournament. Guard vs. Guard, Forward vs. Forward, Center vs. Center and first one to 10 or maybe even 20 points wins. Winners advance until there are 2 players left and a trophy given out for each position winner.

jmtapia
02-14-2010, 12:27 AM
1 on 1 would be great between the two best players in the league...something like Kobe vs Lebron and so on...

Doogolas
02-14-2010, 12:29 AM
1 on 1 would be SWEET. I would kill to see that. Assuming they got people that didn't suck.

69centers
02-14-2010, 12:32 AM
The players might not want to hurt their image if they lost in the 1-on-1 or got posterized! Think of all the Youtube vids that would get thrown up and all the bragging rights of that team and player's fans.

cubfan23
02-14-2010, 12:33 AM
free throw contest would be boring i think. 1 on 1 nobody would do it because it could risk injury, or should I say no team would probably allow their star players to play.

ManRam
02-14-2010, 12:35 AM
I don't think any good NBA player would be willing to do a 1-on-1 contest. It would be cool though.

I can't really think of anything else they could add. Maybe a Shaq vs. Dwight dance contest.

1-800-STFU
02-14-2010, 12:35 AM
1 on 1 wont happen because of ego's and injuries. But its a great idea.

jimbobjarree
02-14-2010, 12:36 AM
they should make sure only the very best of each category is selected to make winning it actually mean something

shep33
02-14-2010, 12:37 AM
International vs NBA or USA

two types of games we can make out of this. 10 best NBA players (international included) vs 10 best international players in other leagues (i.e. Rubio, Splitter, etc.). Lot of solid guys around the world that people don't know about, and could definitely hold their own. Or the best internatioal player vs. NBA stars (all-stars or if ASG players don'[t want to play, how about putting all the snubs in... Josh Smith, Steven Jackson, Bynum, Gay, Mayo... something along that line). Play 1 half by international rules and 1 by NBA rules.

Denver-boy
02-14-2010, 12:47 AM
Free throw contest id rather see a knock out game... or just watch cheerleaders dance. the Dunk Contest= abunch lazy athletes who are to arrogant to dunk. dunk contest Failed again!!!!

NYK_kidd77
02-14-2010, 12:49 AM
The one on one idea would be great to see but idk if the stars will get in that either i just wouldn't want to see like 2 random guys in the stands play off.

69centers
02-14-2010, 12:50 AM
They could add a rapid fire free throw contest. Moving obstacles, moving cheerleaders in their way....

sacgiants1213
02-14-2010, 12:51 AM
2 Ball.

Denver-boy
02-14-2010, 12:52 AM
why was he in the dunk contest, he was the biggest joke, i mean what did most of those guy think when showing up to the dunk contest!!!

Gerald Wallace just distroyed his REP., if he had any.... he lost it all tonite. dude flat out embarrased himself :facepalm:

NYK_kidd77
maybe a foot race between the fastest guys in the league it wouldn't take much time to see but it'd be kind of interesting to see

ManRam
Water basketball. The traditional type and this type (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x65Of56EVdc)

NYK_kidd77
02-14-2010, 12:56 AM
they can add a dance off contest i know shaq would get in it.

sf-fanatic
02-14-2010, 01:24 AM
i think they should choose 4 centers to do the skills competition. it would be pretty entertaining. like yao/shaq/dwight/bynum

ManRam
02-14-2010, 01:29 AM
Have an all-white vs. all-black vs. all-foreign team round robin tournament.

sf-fanatic
02-14-2010, 01:32 AM
Have an all-white vs. all-black vs. all-foreign team round robin tournament.

good idea. i got a similar idea, how about instead of race we do a competition based on the colleges they went to. like players from uconn vs duke vs nc vs florida

ManRam
02-14-2010, 01:34 AM
good idea. i got a similar idea, how about instead of race we do a competition based on the colleges they went to. like players from uconn vs duke vs nc vs florida

Those would actually be good games...no fun.

I'd just want to see if the white team could beat the +50 point spread they'd surely receive verse the African American team.

NYK_kidd77
02-14-2010, 01:34 AM

This is also a really good idea.

sf-fanatic
02-14-2010, 01:39 AM
Those would actually be good games...no fun.

I'd just want to see if the white team could beat the +50 point spread they'd surely receive verse the African American team.

lol that competition would definitely be a blowout and funny to watch, but i dont think the nba would ever do it because of the race issue and some players are mixed so it would be hard to decide what team they would play for.

EL HEAT
02-14-2010, 01:44 AM
2 Ball.

I would like to see that.

69centers
02-14-2010, 01:46 AM
They should change up the Slam Dunk contest next year and spruce it up. Maybe add some mandatory dunks they have to do, and then a freestyle round. The mandatory ones could have a speed round, where two players start at center court, run to opposite baskets, and the first one to dunk wins that round. Then they could have padded obstacles they have to dunk over without touching them. Whenever they dunk over people, they always put their head down at the last second.

*Superman*
02-14-2010, 01:46 AM
They should add the "Don't suck at stuff because this is supposed to be fun for the fans" competition.

ko8e24
02-14-2010, 01:48 AM
wow, all-star wkend officially sux now. and what's up with the crowd in Dallas.

Man, I just hope next yr's all-star wkend in LA will be lights out! Staples Center and LA Live should just go all-out, get the absolute best entertainment of all-time, get all the hollywood stars out, get each and every marquee NBA name into each competition. Shannon Brown disappointed :pity:, but Gerald Wallace was a joke. He didn't even look like he was trying out there. Wtf?

Maybe after Cleveland disappoints again, and Shaq becomes a free agent, he should sign for 1 last season with the Lakeshow, and he and Kobe should run the all-star festivities in LA next yr, lol. Knowing Shaq, it prolly be the best all-star celebration ever.

*Superman*
02-14-2010, 01:50 AM
wow, all-star wkend officially sux now. and what's up with the crowd in Dallas.

Man, I just hope next yr's all-star wkend in LA will be lights out! Staples Center and LA Live should just go all-out, get the absolute best entertainment of all-time, get all the hollywood stars out, get each and every marquee NBA name into each competition. Shannon Brown disappointed :pity:, but Gerald Wallace was a joke. He didn't even look like he was trying out there. Wtf?

Maybe after Cleveland disappoints again, and Shaq becomes a free agent, he should sign for 1 last season with the Lakeshow, and he and Kobe should run the all-star festivities in LA next yr, lol. Knowing Shaq, it prolly be the best all-star celebration ever.

I agree. IT was horrible.

bowieinspace
02-14-2010, 01:58 AM
theres constant talk of best back court in the nba so i think a 2 on 2 game with the 2 starting guards of maybe 4 teams would be cool. maybe first to 15 or something. that would be a lot more exciting than the garbage i saw this year.

*Superman*
02-14-2010, 02:00 AM
theres constant talk of best back court in the nba so i think a 2 on 2 game with the 2 starting guards of maybe 4 teams would be cool. maybe first to 15 or something. that would be a lot more exciting than the garbage i saw this year.

That would be awesome!

bowieinspace
02-14-2010, 02:02 AM
thanks!

sf-fanatic
02-14-2010, 02:28 AM
how about nba stars vs mlb stars vs nfl all pros?
i know some of the mlb and nfl can ball for sure.

or a 3 vs 3 first to 6 bucks
with 4 cities/states represented and each team will consist of a mlb, nba, and nfl star

here are some of the team ideas:
LA(socal b/c LA doesnt have a football team): Kobe, Matt Kemp. Antonio Gates
Boston: Pierce, Youkilis, Brady (or moss?)
Dallas: Dirk, Romo, Oswalt (Hunter Pence?)
New York: Lee, Jeter, Manning
New Orleans: Chris Paul, Marqes Colston, and idk lol
Chicago: Derrick Rose, Devin Hester, Alfonso Soriano
Atlanta: Josh Smith, McCann, Michael Turner

this would generate the most buzz because it might generate mlb and nfl fans to also tune into all star weekend. it would make all star weekend so much bigger and bring more superstars into the weekend.

what do you think?

Hollasoren
02-14-2010, 02:55 AM
bring in some older guys like MJ, Reggie Miller, Larry bird and have a game with mixed new guys and old guys

rick66ankiel24
02-14-2010, 03:32 AM
I think they should add a two ball dribbling skill competition.. do you know who would win??? Jason Otter

Lizard King
02-14-2010, 03:42 AM
I think they should bring back the slam dunk competition. They have this thing going on, where a bunch of nobodies make crappy dunks that nobody cares about. Idk what it's called, but it's certainly not the slam dunk competiton.

Kyben36
02-14-2010, 03:52 AM
Owner tournament, owners of teams go 1 on 1 with one another to see who is truelye the best.

Tha Truth
02-14-2010, 03:57 AM
Dodgeball. It would be crazy and very entertaining!

29$JerZ
02-14-2010, 04:03 AM
All Star weekend officially is dead imo. Only the All-Star game is worth looking forward too any more.

Can't really add anything to it though, HORSE was a great idea at first since its an old form of a ball game but looked at what happened today.

djeller1139
02-14-2010, 04:29 AM
Do "World Cup" - a bunch of teams of two all playing on one hoop. If you make it you are out and move on to the next round. Then last team left loses and you go on till you're left with two teams, first to make it wins.

Probably wouldn't be that exciting...it's much more fun when you play at soccer.

Baller1
02-14-2010, 03:58 PM
how about nba stars vs mlb stars vs nfl all pros?
i know some of the mlb and nfl can ball for sure.

or a 3 vs 3 first to 6 bucks
with 4 cities/states represented and each team will consist of a mlb, nba, and nfl star

here are some of the team ideas:
LA(socal b/c LA doesnt have a football team): Kobe, Matt Kemp. Antonio Gates
Boston: Pierce, Youkilis, Brady (or moss?)
Dallas: Dirk, Romo, Oswalt (Hunter Pence?)
New York: Lee, Jeter, Manning
New Orleans: Chris Paul, Marqes Colston, and idk lol
Chicago: Derrick Rose, Devin Hester, Alfonso Soriano
Atlanta: Josh Smith, McCann, Michael Turner

this would generate the most buzz because it might generate mlb and nfl fans to also tune into all star weekend. it would make all star weekend so much bigger and bring more superstars into the weekend.

what do you think?

I actually think this is a really good idea.

TopsyTurvy
02-14-2010, 04:11 PM
I would really like to see the NBA embrace the streetball/gym culture a bit more. I know coaches and 'other professionals' don't like the basketball played at Ruckers Park, but acknowledgment of the style and swagger represented at that level would be nice.

I think the league has set a double standard for itself by allowing players to be represented as 'street ballers' in other forms of media (videogames, commercials, etc.) and yet doesn't embrace that aspect of the game.