PDA

View Full Version : Stop Comparing Dwight Howard to Shaquille O'neal!!!

Raph12
02-13-2010, 04:09 PM
Dwight Howard is Dwight Howard, he is not Shaquille O'Neal, nor will he ever be, Shaq is one of a kind and will never be replaced.

Shaq is the single most dominent big man of all-time, and yes that's over Wilt, Kareem and Hakeem. Now he's still not a better center than those guys, but he's more dominant than any big man to ever touch a basketball.

Dwight has been called "Superman" by the media after his high-flying dunks for a big man in his rookie season. Dwight didn't self-proclaim himself like Shaq did, he just rolled with what they gave him. He even tried to change his nickname to "Black Magic" because Shaq took so much offense to his previous nickname, but it never stuck and he couldn't shake his "Superman" persona.

Dwight Howard will never become Shaquille O'Neal and to compare the two is simply stupid. Shaq was a 7'1" 350lb beast in his prime, who bullied guys to get to the rim and finish strong over-the-top or hit the short hook. Dwight is a lean 6'11" 275lb athletic freak, who relies on a combination of strength, agility and footwork to get off a hook or beat his opponent to the basket. Shaq was unstoppable on the offensive end, while Dwight pries himself on his defensive abilities and anchors his team on the other end of the floor. While his post game is coming along, he'll never be the force Shaq was on the offensive end, no center will.

Ultimately, they're completely different players and the only thing they have in common, is the nickname so... STOP COMPARING THEM, DWIGHT IS DWIGHT AND SHAQ IS SHAQ SO JUST LET IT GO!!!!

ko8e24
02-13-2010, 04:16 PM
my brotha, no one is comparing the two. they'd be stupid to do so.

The Superman moniker was given to Dwight because of the dunk contest. Dwight and Shaq are both good-hearted guys who are also both DOWN TO EARTH. I'm very happy with Dwight's words from today, when he said that he has no BEEF with Shaq or this whole Superman thing, and that all he wants from SHaq is advice on how to be a better player and a better person. Once Shaq realizes this, their relationship will patch up, they'll be all goody-goody. There's totally no malice between the two, just a plain old misunderstanding that the stupid fans and media have created with this whole superman crap.

And at the end, Shaq will come out and say..."It was all marketing baby! Like me and Kobe, I fooled yall with me and Dwight. CAAAANN UUUUUU DIG IT!!!!!!!!!!!"

OFFICAL BOSS
02-13-2010, 04:24 PM
Dwight Howard is overrated.

gbpackers12
02-13-2010, 04:26 PM
Dwight Howard is overrated.

Nope. I wouldn't go that far. But him and Shaq are definitely two completely different players, who both just happen to be called "Superman."

Bucsfan
02-13-2010, 04:29 PM
im just tired of hearing about about it

Hellcrooner
02-13-2010, 04:37 PM
uh did Arenas point at howards head with a gun so he put on that red cape in the dunk contest?

ko8e24
02-13-2010, 04:41 PM
uh did Arenas point at howards head with a gun so he put on that red cape in the dunk contest?

:confused: wtf?

-Kobe24-TJ19-
02-13-2010, 04:57 PM
Dwight Howard will never be as good as Shaq, never!!!

ManRam
02-13-2010, 05:07 PM
The reasons the comparisons exist are obvious. Both were drafted first overall by the Magic. Both were physical specimens somewhat ahead of their times. They share a nickname. I could on and on.

I know they are nothing alike, and comparisons all fail, but is it selfish for me to want him to be more like Shaq...because frankly, I do. Maybe I just miss Shaq, and want Dwight to be the second go-around. But I think Dwight could and should play more like Shaq.

Hellcrooner
02-13-2010, 05:09 PM
i think howard should work on finesse moves and a good jumper THAT would make him a better all around player than Shaq and a more effective one.

Sadds The Gr8
02-13-2010, 05:16 PM
Dwight Howard will never be as good as Shaq, never!!!

This.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
02-13-2010, 05:23 PM
i think howard should work on finesse moves and a good jumper THAT would make him a better all around player than Shaq and a more effective one.

it doesn't matter if he develops a 20 foot jumper or even 30 foot jumpshot! those arent high percentage shots like prime shaq ones are.

do we ever see dwight howard running fastbreaks like shaq, I don't think so

Kakaroach
02-13-2010, 05:24 PM
Dwight will never ever be Shaq, but I'm tired of Shaq instigating all of this by being a crybaby to the media. You beat them, so just be quiet. Do you really care that much about a nickname?

prodigy
02-13-2010, 05:24 PM
Shaq is the single most dominant big man of all-time, and yes that's over Wilt, Kareem and Hakeem. Now he's still not a better center than those guys, but he's more dominant than any big man to ever touch a basketball.

Wearing a cape in the dunk contest and now doing a commercial where he plays superman is not helping that argument. I heard next season he wants to be called ''The chosen big ticket flash king James wild thing big shot bob Larry bird MJ Tim Duncan''.

j/k. He's a good guy. But needs to move away from this nickname.

ldc62
02-13-2010, 05:47 PM
Dwight is kinda overrated. Especially on Defense. Hes a great help defender, but can't shut opposing big men down.

FOBolous
02-13-2010, 05:49 PM
Dwight Howard sucks. it's a joke when people say he is better than a healthy Yao. a healthy Yao dominates Howard and humbles Shaq.

RadiantShot
02-13-2010, 05:59 PM
Such a stupid argument. "He should move away from his name." No he shouldn't. Shaq never did. Shaq gave himself loads of nicknames. Probably more than 10. Dwight's had 1 nickname. Superman. If people want to call him that, that's their choice, not yours. Stop your *****ing for Christ's sake. It's a DAMN nickname. Shaq needs to back the **** off, and stop being a little pusscake. Dwight was cool, he said he wouldn't start beef, I respect Dwight more than I respect Shaq, just because Shaq is a cocky ******. I don't see how people think he's funny, the negativity of his other conversations bring down the positives.

Everyone calls Lebron, "The King." But he's not.
Everyone calls players like Turk, Billups, and Ben Gordon, "Mr. 4th Quarter." Even though it was Billups' name first.
The list goes on, it's a NAME. HOP OFF HIS DAMN ****.

RadiantShot
02-13-2010, 06:00 PM
Dwight Howard sucks. it's a joke when people say he is better than a healthy Yao. a healthy Yao dominates Howard and humbles Shaq. even Shaq admits Yao is better than him.

Get out of this forum, you obviously don't have a CLUE what you're talking about. Either that, or you don't even know who Dwight Howard is. Dwight Howard would kill Yao, end of story. I don't care if Yao is healthy, Dwight would destroy him in the paint. Yao's a softy.

koreancabbage
02-13-2010, 06:05 PM
Get out of this forum, you obviously don't have a CLUE what you're talking about. Either that, or you don't even know who Dwight Howard is. Dwight Howard would kill Yao, end of story. I don't care if Yao is healthy, Dwight would destroy him in the paint. Yao's a softy.

he has his reasoning. i'm sorry but Yao has a better all round game than Howard. Howard is way overrated, sorry but he's still so one-dimensional right now. If he was in anyway a great offensive big man, Carter and Lewis would pass him the ball more and the coach would run more plays for him.

that, and he's not even a 20-10 player yet, but i'm sure he'll get there eventually.

Howard is just big with developing offensive away-from-basket skills. But in no way has Howard been as dangerous as Shaq in the paint nor as dominant in it.

FOBolous
02-13-2010, 06:07 PM

uhhh...you're the one who obviously don't know what you're talking about. Yao DOMINATES dwight howard EVERY SINGLE TIME they play against each other. EVERY SINGLE TIME. go look up the box score.

here's a sample:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/boxscore;_ylt=Ah6FHxRM2iO8Vr4Ya5r7Up2sPKB4?gid=200 5012019

Yao - 20 pts, 6 reb, 1 blk
Howard - 8 pts, 7 reb, 2 blk
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/boxscore;_ylt=AkJ6jVfwL5mHAWRsV1rx5lesPKB4?gid=200 5012410

Yao - 26 pts, 10 reb
Howard - 16 pts, 8 reb, 1 blk

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/boxscore;_ylt=Aty8vCQxxFbutb.UfXCJwLysPKB4?gid=200 5110810

Yao - 19 pts, 17 reb, 3 blk
Howard - 21 pts, 11 reb, 3 blk

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/boxscore;_ylt=AjB578Rf0nNYpX7IGzzLKMKsPKB4?gid=200 6022619

Yao - 22 pts, 10 reb, 2 blk
Howard - 4 pts, 11 reb, 1 blk

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/boxscore;_ylt=AjB578Rf0nNYpX7IGzzLKMKsPKB4?gid=200 7031110

Yao - 17 pts, 4 reb, 4 blk
Howard - 12 pts, 11 reb, 2 blk

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/boxscore;_ylt=ApyCLc0jLOBsXhdcn9KGR7CsPKB4?gid=200 8010419

Yao - 29 pts, 11 reb, 2 blk
Howard - 7 pts, 9 reb

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/boxscore;_ylt=AjB578Rf0nNYpX7IGzzLKMKsPKB4?gid=200 7031110

Yao - 37 pts, 7 reb, 4 blk
Howard - 16 pts, 12 reb, 1 blk

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/boxscore;_ylt=ApyCLc0jLOBsXhdcn9KGR7CsPKB4?gid=200 8010419

Yao - 26 pts, 10 reb
Howard - 16 pts, 8 reb, 1 blk

RadiantShot
02-13-2010, 06:21 PM
he has his reasoning. i'm sorry but Yao has a better all round game than Howard. Howard is way overrated, sorry but he's still so one-dimensional right now. If he was in anyway a great offensive big man, Carter and Lewis would pass him the ball more and the coach would run more plays for him.

that, and he's not even a 20-10 player yet, but i'm sure he'll get there eventually.

Howard is just big with developing offensive away-from-basket skills. But in no way has Howard been as dangerous as Shaq in the paint nor as dominant in it.

Have you even watched Howard this year? He's clearly surpassed Yao. He's not "one-dimensional" any more. He's developed a small jumper, has a consistent hook shot, can dunk the ball, back down, get the line, pass pretty well, what more do you want him to do? Shoot 3's? ****. Give the guy some credit. He's the most dominating center in the game today.

You're right, he's not a 20-10 player, he's an 18-14 or 15 player. That's even better.

Look how many touches Dwight is getting. Not even close to enough. Give Dwight Howard even half of Vince's attempts, and you have a 26-14 per game guy, right there. It's so easy for Dwight to score, but he never get's the damn ball!

OnslaughtXX6
02-13-2010, 06:22 PM
Dwight Howard sucks. it's a joke when people say he is better than a healthy Yao. a healthy Yao dominates Howard and humbles Shaq.

I agree with you. Dwight gets out played by centers that have more post moves and is more skilled (Gasol). He hasn't done anything in this league yet for him to even be compared to Shaq. Shaq should be insulted that they compare a guy that can only dunk and block shots.He's a better version of Emeka Okafor IMO.

RadiantShot
02-13-2010, 06:23 PM
uhhh...you're the one who obviously don't know what you're talking about. Yao DOMINATES dwight howard EVERY SINGLE TIME they play against each other. EVERY SINGLE TIME. go look up the box score.

here's a sample:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/boxscore;_ylt=Ah6FHxRM2iO8Vr4Ya5r7Up2sPKB4?gid=200 5012019

Yao - 20/6/1
Howard - 8/7/2
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/boxscore;_ylt=AkJ6jVfwL5mHAWRsV1rx5lesPKB4?gid=200 5012410

Yao - 26/10
Howard - 16/8/1

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/boxscore;_ylt=Aty8vCQxxFbutb.UfXCJwLysPKB4?gid=200 5110810

Yao - 19/17/3
Howard - 21/11/3

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/boxscore;_ylt=AjB578Rf0nNYpX7IGzzLKMKsPKB4?gid=200 6022619

Yao - 22/10/2
Howard - 4/11/1

Yao - 17/4/4
Howard - 12/11/2

Yao - 29/11/2
Howard - 7/9

Yao - 37/7/4
Howard - 16/12/1

Yao - 26/10
Howard - 16/8/1

Uhm, congrats? Howard wasn't even close to his level this year. He's been putting up better numbers lately, and has been a beast on the boards. When it's all said and done, Dwight will have a better career than Yao Ming, end of the story.

You pledge a good case, but seriously, this is common sense stuff, facts go overrated in this case.

Anyways, got to clean, I might come back on PSD later.

FOBolous
02-13-2010, 06:27 PM
Uhm, congrats? Howard wasn't even close to his level this year. He's been putting up better numbers lately, and has been a beast on the boards. When it's all said and done, Dwight will have a better career than Yao Ming, end of the story.

You pledge a good case, but seriously, this is common sense stuff, facts go overrated in this case.

:confused:

I said Yao dominates Howard. You laughed and said i don't know anything about basketball because there's no way "soft" yao can beat "tough" howard. you even go as far as saying that Howard would DESTROY yao in the paint. i than prove you wrong and all you can is "well, i'm right. you're wrong. bye. let me make up an excuse to run away" and you run away :laugh2: c'mon man.

Gibby23
02-13-2010, 06:27 PM

Howard was better the last 2 years than he is this year.

smith&wesson
02-13-2010, 06:29 PM
how bout people get creative and start making better knicknames.
obviously shaqs super man, he has had the tattoo, the big super man signs on his costum trucks.. he has had that knick name since the 90's
why the hell would any one go and call dwight howard superman isnt dwight good enough to have his own nick name ?

dany granger is batman. . but if shannon brown wins the dunk contest were also going to call him bat man just to stir up more drama. or how bout we call lebron james the black mamba. dosnt that sound original :facepalm:

-Kobe24-TJ19-
02-13-2010, 06:48 PM
Have you even watched Howard this year? He's clearly surpassed Yao. He's not "one-dimensional" any more. He's developed a small jumper, has a consistent hook shot, can dunk the ball, back down, get the line, pass pretty well, what more do you want him to do? Shoot 3's? ****. Give the guy some credit. He's the most dominating center in the game today.

You're right, he's not a 20-10 player, he's an 18-14 or 15 player. That's even better.

Look how many touches Dwight is getting. Not even close to enough. Give Dwight Howard even half of Vince's attempts, and you have a 26-14 per game guy, right there. It's so easy for Dwight to score, but he never get's the damn ball!

That is old and silly argument!He needs to get a better position down low to get the ball...Its like saying that kobe should pass the ball everytime to gasol because he shoots over 55% from the field!

If howard sucks then I guess we don't have any decent centers in the NBA :cry:

-Kobe24-TJ19-
02-13-2010, 06:52 PM

HAHA owned!:dance:

OnslaughtXX6
02-13-2010, 06:59 PM
Dwight Howard doesn't suck..... He is a above average center.

Raph12
02-13-2010, 07:01 PM
Dwight is kinda overrated. Especially on Defense. Hes a great help defender, but can't shut opposing big men down.

Yeah, it's not like he leads the NBA in defensive rating (points allowed per 100 possessions), oh wait, yes he does. Also leads in rpg, bpg, def win shares and double doubles.

Tell me when was the last time Dwight guarded someone one-on-one and got burned... The highest pts Dwight has allowed this season is 19pts, here is a list of key centers he has kept under 15ppg: David Lee (14.5), Nene (14), Al Jeff (14), Bogut (12.5), Hibbert (12.3), Haywood (11.5), J O'neal (10.5), Okur (10.5), Haywood (10), Shaq (10), Dalembert (9), Noah (9), Hawes (8.5), Bynum (8), B Lopez (7.5), Horford (6.7), Frye (5), Big Z (5), Perkins (4.2) and Okafor (0). All well below their season avgs, the only centers who've had even a bit of offensive success against him are: Marc Gasol (19 [13 FTM]) and Kaman (16 [8 of 22 FG]).

Despite being a roamer on defense and continuously leaving his man to help out, he has kept his man under 15 ppg on the regular and if they do have a bigger game than that's because they A - Took too many shots or B - Got easy baskets created by others.

Raph12
02-13-2010, 07:02 PM
it doesn't matter if he develops a 20 foot jumper or even 30 foot jumpshot! those arent high percentage shots like prime shaq ones are.

do we ever see dwight howard running fastbreaks like shaq, I don't think so

Stop comparing the two!!!

Btw this is for your stupid statement... You should just stick to losing sig bets. :p
http://www.nba.com/video/games/magic/2010/02/05/0020900732_was_orl_play3.nba/index.html

Lakersfan2483
02-13-2010, 07:06 PM
Dwight is definitely not on Shaq's level yet and probably won't ever get to that level, however he's a great player in his own right. Howard is a game changer on the defensive end of the floor and his post game/face up game has improved a great deal. Look for Howard to continue to get better as his game evolves.

Raph12
02-13-2010, 07:07 PM

Yao is better on offense, but Dwight's easily better overall.

Dwight isn't like Shaq or Barkley, he doesn't like to demand the ball, he lets the coach decides who gets the touches. Since the beginning of the season to now, he's gotten the ball a lot more and is starting to anchor the team's offense.

Dude you've got to be the dumbest guy in life, Dwight's had two 21-14 seasons already. This season's been different because the team has more offensive talent around him, so he's not getting the same touches he used to get.

Again, STOP COMPARING HIM TO SHAQ!!! HE WILL NEVER BE SHAQ, NO ONE UNDER 320LBS WILL EVER BE LIKE SHAQ!!! :mad:

Lakersfan2483
02-13-2010, 07:12 PM
The Shaq/Dwight comparison is bad as O'neal is an elite center up there with the likes of Kareem, Wilt, Russell and Hakeem. Howard has not gotten to that level, he's on the level of a Ewing or a Mourning.

Raph12
02-13-2010, 07:18 PM
This is what Dwight had to say about the Shaq situation when David Aldridge brought it up in an interview during Jam Session:

David: Mr O'Neal had some choice words about the "Superman" thing the other day. What is your response?

Dwight: I have no response to it, you know um, I respect Shaq, he's been in the league for a long time, you know I'd never try to steal anything from him. Um, I never called myself Superman, you know it came from the dunk contest, everybody just started calling me Superman after that, but I respect him. And um, the only thing I would want from Shaq is, you know for him to help me become a better player and a better person. He's already been through everything I'm going through now, as a player and as a person, so the only thing I'd want from him, instead of just beefing with Superman or anything which I have no beef with, is just to help me. You know, help me grow as a person and as a player and that's about it, I have no problem, I have no beef with the whole Superman issue, so it's dead. I'm stopping it, there's no beef, if he wants to be called Superman, I'll be Superman number 2. There you have it.

So Dwight takes the high road on the issue again, now the ball will be in Shaq's court.

Lakersfan2483
02-13-2010, 07:21 PM
This is what Dwight had to say about the Shaq situation when David Aldridge brought it up in an interview during Jam Session:

So Dwight takes the high road on the issue again, now the ball will be in Shaq's court.

Dwight is a class act, it's a shame Shaq is not giving Dwight any respect. Shaq is 38 years old and is acting like a child, he needs to grow up.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
02-13-2010, 07:21 PM
Stop comparing the two!!!

Btw this is for your stupid statement... You should just stick to losing sig bets. :p
http://www.nba.com/video/games/magic/2010/02/05/0020900732_was_orl_play3.nba/index.html

ok, sir lol:hide:

OnslaughtXX6
02-13-2010, 07:26 PM
When this guy learns how to dominate a game offesively then we can compare him with Shaq, but now.........NO

dudeonthemoon
02-13-2010, 07:32 PM

:facepalm::down::cricket:

Raph12
02-13-2010, 07:44 PM
ok, sir lol:hide:

Lol, I'm just tired of guys comparing the two, they're two different guys, just let them be, you know what I mean?

Btw, that coast-to-coast was pretty sweet.

Ssshbliblibl00p
02-13-2010, 07:44 PM
Dwight Howard is Dwight Howard, he is not Shaquille O'Neal, nor will he ever be, Shaq is one of a kind and will never be replaced.

Shaq is the single most dominent big man of all-time, and yes that's over Wilt, Kareem and Hakeem. Now he's still not a better center than those guys, but he's more dominant than any big man to ever touch a basketball.

Dwight has been called "Superman" by the media after his high-flying dunks for a big man in his rookie season. Dwight didn't self-proclaim himself like Shaq did, he just rolled with what they gave him. He even tried to change his nickname to "Black Magic" because Shaq took so much offense to his previous nickname, but it never stuck and he couldn't shake his "Superman" persona.

Dwight Howard will never become Shaquille O'Neal and to compare the two is simply stupid. Shaq was a 7'1" 350lb beast in his prime, who bullied guys to get to the rim and finish strong over-the-top or hit the short hook. Dwight is a lean 6'11" 275lb athletic freak, who relies on a combination of strength, agility and footwork to get off a hook or beat his opponent to the basket. Shaq was unstoppable on the offensive end, while Dwight pries himself on his defensive abilities and anchors his team on the other end of the floor. While his post game is coming along, he'll never be the force Shaq was on the offensive end, no center will.

Ultimately, they're completely different players and the only thing they have in common, is the nickname so... STOP COMPARING THEM, DWIGHT IS DWIGHT AND SHAQ IS SHAQ SO JUST LET IT GO!!!!

...Like I really needed a crash course in Shaq lol. Dwight's basketball career thus far isn't even Ralph Samson's like this point, let alone worth comparing to the Diesels.

Shaq threw "Superman" patch work in his Ferrari for Pete's sake lol, He's been the "Superman" of the League since he came in. Dwight is just not a creative Dude, thats really it. He could have came out with something dope, but opted tojack "Superman" from two dudes, Shaquille O'neal and Kal El...not a good look Dwight.

JayAllDay
02-13-2010, 07:50 PM
Name another big man who was as good as those two for the Magic... you can't

That's why

Ssshbliblibl00p
02-13-2010, 08:02 PM
Dwight is a class act, it's a shame Shaq is not giving Dwight any respect. Shaq is 38 years old and is acting like a child, he needs to grow up.

Hey Laker fan, you road Shaq's dominance for nearly 4 Championships and countless comfortable wins while he was on the West coast, show some respect lol.

C_Mund
02-13-2010, 08:07 PM

sorry, man. I respect your posts that I read and all, but can we just stop making new threads for people to express their opinion towards a previous thread? This is like the third or fourth Shaq vs. Dwight thread in the last couple days.
I know that me writing in this thread is kind of hypocritical, but I had to get in my two cents before somebody started a new Shaq thread and people stopped reading this one.
Just post in that thread and

C_Mund
02-13-2010, 08:10 PM
.....and I'm pretty sure that the whole Dwight Howard "Superman" thing came from his non-stop man-love of the Soulja Boy song. He brought it on himself, and he should have said that he wasn't superman if somebody else started it. Instead, he drove the point home with the cape and phone-booth. his bad

igPay atinLay
02-13-2010, 08:14 PM
You know what the TC is right I mean its not fair to compare Shaq and Howard. First of all Shaq was repeatedly stopped by Matt Geiger and big bodies that did nothing more than take up space so Shaq couldn't do his thing. And Howard isn't slowed up by inferior talents that happen to have a lot of mass. So its not fair to compare them.

prodigy
02-13-2010, 08:15 PM
Such a stupid argument. "He should move away from his name.

His name is Dwight Howard. I clearly said nickname. He's such a good player he does not need to steal other guys.

How about peter pan? he flies to lol.