PDA

View Full Version : Who won the Draft Class debate (Bucher vs Broussard)

Chronz
02-13-2010, 04:05 PM
http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/insider/news/story?id=4906025

Which is better, the class of 2008 or '09?

Bucher: Before we get started, I just want to thank my good friend Broussard for taking the least defensible position in these debates so far: that the NBA class of 2009 is better than the class of 2008. I promise I'll return the favor at some point.
(OOOOOOOOHHHHHH BURNNN)

Broussard: Before you go ahead and start patting yourself on the back, recognize that I waxed you in our first debate about All-Star changes, and I'm going to get you again.
(GET EMMMMMMM)

Bucher: Well, I'm going to sit back and win this debate with one name: Derrick Rose. As a rookie, he led a marginally talented team to the playoffs and nearly deposed the defending (albeit injured) champs in seven games. And he's performing a repeat act this year. He's already put himself on the ultra-short list of guys around whom you'd build a franchise. As full of nice surprises as the 2009 class has been, there is no one of his caliber. I've got a royal flush coming, and it starts with an ace high.

Broussard: If you're pinning all your hopes on Derrick Rose in this argument, you're sorely mistaken. Sure, Rose is terrific. But Tyreke Evans is having a better rookie season than Rose did, and he's arguably playing as well as (if not better than) Rose is now. Other examples: Though Brandon Jennings has cooled off from his historically hot start, he's still having a great rookie campaign; Stephen Curry is playing better and better amid the colossal dysfunction in Golden State; and while you may be forgetting Blake Griffin, I'm not -- he'll be a star.

As for Rose's leading a "marginally talented" team to the playoffs, wasn't that the same "marginally talented" team that several pundits picked to reach the NBA Finals a few years ago? You've wildly underrated Rose's supporting cast last year. Ben Gordon, Luol Deng, Brad Miller, Joakim Noah, Kirk Hinrich -- a rookie point guard could do much worse than that. In fact, one is: That would be Jennings, who has a truly "marginally talented" roster on the cusp of the playoffs

Its a long read but interesting none the less....... who you got, which draft class is better?

ldc62
02-13-2010, 05:46 PM
A lot of people don't have insider... Woulda been nice to post the whole article.

The_Pharouh
02-13-2010, 06:07 PM
The 2008 Draft is better but the 2009 is fairly strong and very deep with players that will have a good career in the NBA ,I won't be surprised if in 3 years from now we see 6 teams with starting PG from the 2009 class,simply it isn't a weak draft at all

JordansBulls
02-13-2010, 06:20 PM
2008 with Bucher

abe_froman
02-13-2010, 06:29 PM
thought rule was 3 year wait before we can really start to know

znick21
02-13-2010, 06:51 PM
i think the 2008 was better, but to be honest i don't think either of them are very good.

Derick713
02-13-2010, 07:10 PM
Broussard over Bucher in that debate. The Rooks beat the 2008 class last night. Derrick Rose had very nice talent around him when he took the Bulls to the playoffs.

D Roses Bulls
02-13-2010, 07:37 PM
Broussard over Bucher in that debate. The Rooks beat the 2008 class last night. Derrick Rose had very nice talent around him when he took the Bulls to the playoffs.

its like the all star game, it doesnt matter and the best player from 2008 (rose) didnt play in the game so that affected the outcome. also rose has a bunch of over achievers on the team. i watch every bulls game, they over achieved a couple years ago and if they didnt have rose they would be almost like the knicks are.