PDA

View Full Version : Magic NEED to Listen To Magic

Swashcuff
02-12-2010, 10:54 PM
I clearly remember Magic Johnson saying what Dwayne Wade needs to do in order to be successful playing along side Shaquille O'Neal.

His exact words "give it to the Big Guy".

The Orlando Magic need to do just that if they are going to win a Ship this year. This shot chucking is gonna make it real tough to defeat teams such as the Celts, Cavs and Hawks in the playoffs.

Magic is undoubtebly the best point guard to ever do it 5x champ 3x MVP 3x Finals MVP. He might just have a clue of what he is talking about.

DodgerBulls
02-12-2010, 11:08 PM
yes but then Howard does not have any post moves

jimm120
02-12-2010, 11:25 PM
Exactly, unfortunately, Dwight is just not a good shooter with moves.

Not even having the legendary Patrick Ewing, who was renowned for his offensive touch AND his offensive moves, has not been able to instill a consistent offensive move in Howard. I have always wanted Howard to succeed but I just remember seeing him play in the finals last year...horrid offense. He doesn't know how to post well...and if he does post someone up, he doesn't know how to take a good shot.

So, unless Dwight learns how to complete an offensive move for him to get the ball, then they can't rely on him consistentlyy without it being a move for him to get open without the ball for a dunk, layup, or putback.

Ewing had the Post up fade-a-away.
Shaq had the post up small hook.

Look at the David Lee sitaution in NY. Before this year, he was mostly what Dwight is. Just hustling for points. And he did well, averaging 18 ppg last year and around 15 or 16 the year before. But plays weren't called for him because he didn't have an offensive move. He got points on hustle and plays off the ball, just like Dwight is now. This year, though, Lee developed a small 15 footer which falls down often. Now, plays ARE called for him. Now he can score with his hustle, putbacks, and off the ball play, but now can also include his own little play of catching the ball and shotting from the left or right of the key from 15 feet away.

Dwight can't do that yet.

Raph12
02-13-2010, 04:04 AM
Exactly, unfortunately, Dwight is just not a good shooter with moves.

Not even having the legendary Patrick Ewing, who was renowned for his offensive touch AND his offensive moves, has not been able to instill a consistent offensive move in Howard. I have always wanted Howard to succeed but I just remember seeing him play in the finals last year...horrid offense. He doesn't know how to post well...and if he does post someone up, he doesn't know how to take a good shot.

So, unless Dwight learns how to complete an offensive move for him to get the ball, then they can't rely on him consistentlyy without it being a move for him to get open without the ball for a dunk, layup, or putback.

Ewing had the Post up fade-a-away.
Shaq had the post up small hook.

Look at the David Lee sitaution in NY. Before this year, he was mostly what Dwight is. Just hustling for points. And he did well, averaging 18 ppg last year and around 15 or 16 the year before. But plays weren't called for him because he didn't have an offensive move. He got points on hustle and plays off the ball, just like Dwight is now. This year, though, Lee developed a small 15 footer which falls down often. Now, plays ARE called for him. Now he can score with his hustle, putbacks, and off the ball play, but now can also include his own little play of catching the ball and shotting from the left or right of the key from 15 feet away.

Dwight can't do that yet.

Stupid statement IMO, Lee is like Amare, in the sense that he's just a finisher. Dwight would need a good pass-first type guy on his team to create those type of plays for him.

Right now, Dwight's got the spinning hook and running hook down with both hands, just ask Shaq, he's also worked on that 12-17 foot bank shot which he's hit much more consistently of late. The fact that they could get the ball to him, spread the floor and let him create for himself, already makes him better than Lee and Amare. The key for him will be consistency, if he can get that hook at 60+% on a regular basis, make the right pass out of double teams and keep his composure so he doesn't commit silly turnovers (usually offensive fouls) then he'll be good to go.

It's like VC said after his 48pt game, because this team has so many offensive weapons, they don't expect any one guy to dominate, why try to beat them with the power of one, when you can beat them as a team.

Tymer
02-13-2010, 04:23 AM
the problem is down the stretch of games (the close ones ive seen) giving it to dwight means fouls usually and his inconsistency to make them scares the team away from looking to him. As bad as Shaq was at Ft's he could always knock a few down at the end of games.

If Shard or VC got some low post touches at the end of games they could be much more efficient

ldc62
02-13-2010, 04:24 AM
Stupid statement IMO, Lee is like Amare, in the sense that he's just a finisher. Dwight would need a good pass-first type guy on his team to create those type of plays for him.

I agree with everything you said, except this snip. Lee is much more diverse in his point scoring than Amare. If you look at Amare's highlights, its always Nash giving a great lead pass.

Back to this thread: Dwight doesn't command double teams as often as Shaq. Dwight (after 6 years) still hasn't developed a decent post game.... Optimists can say that he's still young, but if you don't have some good postmoves after 6 years and with some help from Ewing... chances aren't looking good.

Raph12
02-13-2010, 04:50 AM
I agree with everything you said, except this snip. Lee is much more diverse in his point scoring than Amare. If you look at Amare's highlights, its always Nash giving a great lead pass.

Back to this thread: Dwight doesn't command double teams as often as Shaq. Dwight (after 6 years) still hasn't developed a decent post game.... Optimists can say that he's still young, but if you don't have some good postmoves after 6 years and with some help from Ewing... chances aren't looking good.

You just said you agreed with everything I said apart from that snippet... but in my previous post, I said:

"Dwight's got the spinning hook and running hook down with both hands, just ask Shaq, he's also worked on that 12-17 foot bank shot which he's hit much more consistently of late."

Now I don't see why we're comparing him to Shaq, no center has been as dominent as Shaq offensively. Shaq didn't need range or post moves because he could just bully his way to the basket. Dwight doesn't have that type of overwhelming power, which is why against defenders like Shaq, Perkins, Bynum, Nene, etc... He has to finesse his way to score.

Dwight scored 19pts in 22 minutes (mostly with Shaq guarding him), and then he got one touch in the last 7:31 in the fourth. He can score, he just needs the ball, and we all know he's WAY too damn nice to demand it.

Go back and watch the game against LA, Boston, Cleveland, etc... He clearly shows a deeper arsenal than his competitors (Bynum, Perkins/Sheed and Shaq/Z) down low, using a bevy of moves, footwork, hooks, bank shots, etc... to score the ball.