PDA

View Full Version : Can anything be done about star players being traded for expiring contract?

spreadeagle
02-12-2010, 06:23 PM
Seems like its been a huge trend to go after the highly sought expiring contract the last few years.I just think its lame when franchise players are getting traded for a bag of spaldings and a bunch of guys who are almost done in the NBA and are gunna sit on the bench and collect their millions for 3 months,Is there anything the NBA can do to try to stop this from going down.

Young2Kinsler
02-12-2010, 06:32 PM
Probably not, unless the envoke some sort of trade committe.

But then again, who is to say it's right to stop 2 business from making a transaction as long as there are no signs of collusion.

td0tsfinest
02-12-2010, 06:40 PM
In the end, those
bag of spaldings and a bunch of guys who are almost done in the NBA and are gunna sit on the bench actually help out the team. Especially with the 2010 off-season including the best free agent class we've seen in a very long time. They might not be going after Lebron or Wade or Bosh, but there are still a lot of good players becoming free agents.

spreadeagle
02-12-2010, 06:46 PM
In the end, those actually help out the team. Especially with the 2010 off-season including the best free agent class we've seen in a very long time. They might not be going after Lebron or Wade or Bosh, but there are still a lot of good players becoming free agents.

Ya i think alot of teams will be left in the cold.I think most players will stay put and a few will move, and teams like Philly who trade Iggy for nothing and cant sign anyone in the offseason will be screwd.Remember after the Jordan era in Chicago how they had tons of cash but couldnt land anyone because the management had a bad reputation of not treating players well?.They tried for Kobe n didnt get him and were done untill they got lucky n got Rose in the draft.You over pay for players in Free agency as well

spreadeagle
02-12-2010, 06:55 PM

But then again, who is to say it's right to stop 2 business from making a transaction as long as there are no signs of collusion.

Like in my fantasy league! lol.Why not have all owners vote on trades.I like that idea

MikefromMars
02-12-2010, 06:59 PM

I would say no to a trade committee. I can think of a couple of trades that origanally seemed horrible, that ended up working out well. The Pau Gasol trade is one that comes to mind.

bringinwood
02-12-2010, 07:01 PM
If you don't allow teams to trade expirings for cap room, you're going to have more and more teams relocating due to them being consistency in the luxury tax and them not being able to climb out of debt...

Not every team in the NBA can afford to absorb financial hit after financial hit such as the Knicks and Lakers...

It's not a bad system... It's flawed but, not that bad... The NFL's system for mid level vets is 10 fold worse...

It sucks that teams, seemingly, trade away talent for nothing at times... But, it, generally, comes back around during the draft or free agency when cap room is freed up...

spreadeagle
02-12-2010, 07:07 PM
If you don't allow teams to trade expirings for cap room, you're going to have more and more teams relocating due to them being consistency in the luxury tax and them not being able to climb out of debt...

Not every team in the NBA can afford to absorb financial hit after financial hit such as the Knicks and Lakers...

It's not a bad system... It's flawed but, not that bad... The NFL's system for mid level vets is 10 fold worse...

It sucks that teams, seemingly, trade away talent for nothing at times... But, it, generally, comes back around during the draft or free agency when cap room is freed up...

Ya the draft helps cause in the NBA one star player can take you from worst to first

Young and Stupid
02-12-2010, 07:22 PM
Like in my fantasy league! lol.Why not have all owners vote on trades.I like that idea

What are you 12? The system is fine.

spreadeagle
02-12-2010, 07:33 PM
What are you 12? The system is fine.

I was joking calm down:facepalm:

TopsyTurvy
02-12-2010, 08:02 PM
Absolutely something can be done. Players can give organizations money back and re-sign to smaller salaries. Part of the reason teams are making these moves is to offset some of the losses some 12 teams are taking this season. Personnel is a cost easily managed. Now throw in a contracting salary cap and the ridiculous amount of money owed if a team is in luxury tax range - and you have many of the teams in the NBA pegged right on the head going into the offseason.

There's also the possibility that the CBA will be thrown out the window and there may be a lockout as early as 2011.