PDA

View Full Version : Monta Ellis hampering Stephen Curry's growth?

Sadds The Gr8
02-11-2010, 02:29 AM
I put this in the NBA forum because I want everyone's opinion, not just Warriors fans. When that whole Ellis for Ray Allen rumour first came up, the reason GS felt that they should trade Ellis is because he would hamper Curry's growth. I never realized this, but looking back at the games Ellis missed, these are Curry's stats. I'm not sure if I'm missing any, but if I am, let me know...

Pretty much every time Ellis misses a game, Curry steps up huge and puts up amazing #s.

Jan 22 vs NJ - 32 pts, 7 rebs, 4 ast (Ellis played but got hurt in the middle of the game)

Jan 26 vs Kings - 27 pts, 9 rebs, 6 ast

Jan 23 vs Suns - 25 pts, 5 rebs, 2 ast

and Today vs Clippers - 36 pts, 10 rebs, 13 ast

Looking at these #s, Curry clearly plays better when he dominates the ball...(I guess he's used to it, being a one man team at Davidson)

So I ask you guys this...

1) Do you guys think this is true, and that Ellis has been hampering Curry's growth somewhat?

2) If so, do you think they should trade Ellis? Now I know Ellis is a stud as well (he's my best guy on ym fantasy team), but when Curry carries the team, his players usually play much better because Curry's a better distributor. However When Monta carries the team, he usually does it alone and takes over the game himself. So would it be better for Curry's growth to trade him? Personally, I think if Curry had the team alone all along he would be right under Tyreke for RoTY honors.

What do you guys think?

tredigs
02-11-2010, 02:41 AM
I'm a Warriors fan, but... Yes, and YES. He does hamper his growth a bit (although Steph gets great minutes), and yes the Warriors should trade Ellis. Not simply because he hurts Curry, but because the way Nellie uses him, he hurts the team.

There's a reason why Ellis has a negative +- and it's because he cloggs up the offense. He is a very inefficient scorer (tho' I realize he has a decent fg%, that's not all that goes into it), and has the ball in his hands WAY too much. He needs to be the second option on a team, ironically he's all star caliber when this is the case.

What the Warriors need is a point forward. Hey LBJ, whatchya doing this summer??!

kikeyanez
02-11-2010, 02:58 AM
monta ellis,brandon wright for blake griffin an marcus camby this trade will help both teams! get it done riley

TrueFan420
02-11-2010, 02:59 AM
Yes and yes. Ellis needs to play with a big pg that most importantly is a vet. He respected baron and played off of him which was why he played so well with him. Anyone that says ellis has to have the ball in his hands to be good needs to watch the warriors games when they had baron. With curry he does not believe/ respect him enough to let him have the ball and make not only him(ellis) but everyone on the team better.

Chronz
02-11-2010, 03:11 AM
Im becoming more and more convinced that he makes players worse

Raph12
02-11-2010, 03:14 AM
monta ellis,brandon wright for blake griffin an marcus camby this trade will help both teams! get it done riley

Right and maybe you could trade anthony morrow,anthony randolph for kobe bryant and pau gasol this trade will help both teams! get it done riley. :rolleyes:

kikeyanez
02-11-2010, 03:30 AM
Right and maybe you could trade anthony morrow,anthony randolph for kobe bryant and pau gasol this trade will help both teams! get it done riley. :rolleyes:

funny:facepalm:

GSRaider
02-11-2010, 03:57 AM
YES to the OPs question

Monta has got to go...

robbnen#31
02-11-2010, 04:41 AM
I have been advocating the trading of Ellis for quite a while. Ever since the beginning of the year it became pretty evident that those 2 starting together in the back court wouldn't be successful.

bmanjones
02-11-2010, 06:33 AM
are u serious?

#1Mavericksfan
02-11-2010, 11:44 AM
Yes.....Ellis is a bag hog

GO COOGS
02-11-2010, 12:04 PM
Ellis to houston for twac

Thatruth32
02-11-2010, 12:29 PM
yea of course to a point he slows down his growth because when monta is on the floor he is the best player... i love steph and i think he is the future of the team i said that the sec we drafted him but u just cant give monta away for a scrub and or cap space....

rand3h
02-11-2010, 01:00 PM
these so called numbers are insignificant in Don Nelson's offense. Curry is not being limited on growth because Monta has plenty of game experience to offer to him.

Being able to play alongside such a dynamic scorer like Ellis is only going to fine tune Curry's game. It won't affect his growth now but it could 2-3 years from now. Especially when his rookie contract is up.

ULT WARRIOR408
02-11-2010, 01:04 PM
I don't think that Monta is hampering Curry's growth.They just need to learn to how to play together.

bagwell368
02-11-2010, 01:23 PM
They are similar players except:

Curry is younger, cheaper, a much better 3 pt shooter, can actually play w/o the rock (IE less FGA and more Assists per minute).

Why wouldn't you want to get rid of Ellis if you are running GS?

Sadds The Gr8
02-11-2010, 02:14 PM
yea of course to a point he slows down his growth because when monta is on the floor he is the best player... i love steph and i think he is the future of the team i said that the sec we drafted him but u just cant give monta away for a scrub and or cap space....

yea that's exactly what i was thinking too...he's too good to just give away...i would've said maybe they should trade him for a 1st round pick, but thye have a high pick anyways since they'll be in the lottery....so they'll be able to draft damarcus cousins, a scoring big man they desperately need.

Niro
02-11-2010, 02:21 PM
somehow trade ellis for iggy if you ask me

Swashcuff
02-11-2010, 02:22 PM
these so called numbers are insignificant in Don Nelson's offense. Curry is not being limited on growth because Monta has plenty of game experience to offer to him.

Being able to play alongside such a dynamic scorer like Ellis is only going to fine tune Curry's game. It won't affect his growth now but it could 2-3 years from now. Especially when his rookie contract is up.

Well said.

Monta is beast
02-11-2010, 02:33 PM
Yeah i think he is. I;v said it once and i will say it again, We need to trade Ellis, Randolph for a team changing PF. If we could do that it would not only help Curry because Ellis is gone but also because he would have another star player who does not play the same position. Another thing is I think Curry is smarter then Ellis, Exspecially on defense he is a way better all around defender then Ellis.

Sadds The Gr8
02-11-2010, 02:41 PM

how are those insignificant? look at those numbers....that is a ROOKIE putting up those #s. Clearly both of them are guys that need to dominate the ball in order for themselves to be successful. Maybe if it was one game, you'd have a point, but it's becoming clear that Curry plays better w/o Ellis.

Swashcuff
02-11-2010, 03:15 PM
somehow trade ellis for iggy if you ask me

That would be simply insane for the Warriors Iggy is probly one of the better players in the league to play along side Curry.