PDA

View Full Version : Do You Think the Suns Would've Eventually Won if They Had Kept Their Core Together?

Tony_Starks
02-10-2010, 02:59 PM
Bear in mind at one time they had a core of Nash, Bell, Marion, Joe Johnson, and Amare. It was one of the sickest lineups in the league.

Then they balked at extending JJ's contract and ship him for Diaw. Still they were playing some serious ball. Then of course the San Antonio debacle(s). Then the Shaq deal to combat the Spurs...

If Kerr doesn't blow the team up would they have eventually got a ring?

C-Van
02-10-2010, 03:07 PM
Bear in mind at one time they had a core of Nash, Bell, Marion, Joe Johnson, and Amare. It was one of the sickest lineups in the league.

Then they balked at extending JJ's contract and ship him for Diaw. Still they were playing some serious ball. Then of course the San Antonio debacle(s). Then the Shaq deal to combat the Spurs...

Yes and No. The way they played and used their players, I don't think that they woulda ever won a title, but I do think that that lineup is very much capable of winning a title, even with a "running" style of offense. They tried to work Shawn Marion and Q too much in the offense. If they had relied on Amare and JJ as their primary scorers, Nash as the distributor, Q as the spot up shooter, and Marion as a high energy defender, driver, and team player; then you are looking at a bonafide championship contender year in and year out.

iggypop123
02-10-2010, 03:10 PM
that was d'antoni. and jj wanted to leave. he wanted to be the guy. he is doing it now, but what killed them was draft pics. they wasted so many and their bench got thin. you cant have a 7 man rotation the entire yr and expect to win

C-Van
02-10-2010, 03:12 PM
Imagine if they had never traded Luol Deng, and kept him....damn.

SilverHaze
02-10-2010, 03:15 PM
had they kept Joe johnson instead of going out and getting a fat *** ole shaq on the last team in the league shaq would fit into then yeah maybe they would have

JLynn943
02-10-2010, 03:17 PM
I think they would have. They were incredibly close, and barring a few very questionable decisions/calls, they would have been in the finals, where they definitely could have won.

abe_froman
02-10-2010, 03:20 PM
Imagine if they had never traded Luol Deng, and kept him....damn.

same3 can be said for rondo to

ko8e24
02-10-2010, 03:25 PM

No, they did not have Joe Johnson and Raja Bell on the same team. Joe Johnson and Quentin Richardson left after the 2004-05 season, and Raja Bell and Tim Thomas came in the 2005-06 season.

SteveNash
02-10-2010, 04:40 PM
Nope.

shep33
02-10-2010, 04:44 PM
I don't think they coudl've kept everyone, they just wanted too much money. I woulda given up Marion, barbosa, Diaw, and tried to have kept Joe Johnson and Rondo instead. Rondo would've been cheap, Johnson more expensive. Or Deng and Johnson.

phoenix_bladen
02-10-2010, 05:06 PM
that was d'antoni. and jj wanted to leave. he wanted to be the guy. he is doing it now, but what killed them was draft pics. they wasted so many and their bench got thin. you cant have a 7 man rotation the entire yr and expect to win

yea i can't remember off the top of my head but didn't they trade away picks that turned out to be

rajon rondo, luol deng, rudy fernandez, nate robinson?

sickkkkkkkkkk!

SteveNash
02-10-2010, 05:24 PM
yea i can't remember off the top of my head but didn't they trade away picks that turned out to be

rajon rondo, luol deng, rudy fernandez, nate robinson?

sickkkkkkkkkk!

The Deng Trade was to get Nate Robinson.

The Robinson trade was to get rid of Quentin Richardson for Kurt Thomas.

Then they trade Kurt Thomas + 2 Firsts for nothing, just so they can save money.

:facepalm:

C-Van
02-10-2010, 05:32 PM
The Deng Trade was to get Nate Robinson.

The Robinson trade was to get rid of Quentin Richardson for Kurt Thomas.

Then they trade Kurt Thomas + 2 Firsts for nothing, just so they can save money.

:facepalm:

Grade A management

thephoenixson28
02-10-2010, 05:43 PM
It depends if we would've got a legit center. Imagine

Pg.nash
Sg.Joe johnson
Sf.marion
Pf.Amare
C.________

Right now

king4day
02-10-2010, 06:00 PM
If they kept the 04/05 team together we coulda had a ring.
If the Shaq trade doesn't go down, then we lose in the second, maybe (if lucky) 3rd round of finals that year.

Tony_Starks
02-10-2010, 06:57 PM
I don't think they coudl've kept everyone, they just wanted too much money. I woulda given up Marion, barbosa, Diaw, and tried to have kept Joe Johnson and Rondo instead. Rondo would've been cheap, Johnson more expensive. Or Deng and Johnson.

The thing with Joe Johnson is that he wouldn't have been that expensive if they would've extended him early when they saw how good he was. They basically waited til the last minute and tried to play hard ball until he demanded a trade. He was still under contract when they traded him. Same thing with Marion. They put that bs out there about they both wanted to be the man but in all reality they could've locked that whole team up for years and years, similar to what the Spurs did with their core.

Rondo and Deng were just examples of them being penny pinchers, they literally gave them away.

I think they might have pulled off a ring by now. The Spurs series were literally a couple of plays away from going in there favor. Nobody in the east would've beat them any of the years they were winning 60 games....

_KB24_
02-10-2010, 07:16 PM
Nope.

magichatnumber9
02-10-2010, 07:29 PM
Trades have hurt more teams then helped. I think if teams were more patient with young players as they seem to be with veterans then they would be better off. Celtics for example PG Chauncey Billups SG Joe Johnson SF Paul Pierce PF Al Jefferson C? We didn't draft Perk so I don't know. That's a pretty sick lineup.

magichatnumber9
02-10-2010, 07:31 PM
The thing with Joe Johnson is that he wouldn't have been that expensive if they would've extended him early when they saw how good he was. They basically waited til the last minute and tried to play hard ball until he demanded a trade. He was still under contract when they traded him. Same thing with Marion. They put that bs out there about they both wanted to be the man but in all reality they could've locked that whole team up for years and years, similar to what the Spurs did with their core.

Rondo and Deng were just examples of them being penny pinchers, they literally gave them away.

I think they might have pulled off a ring by now. The Spurs series were literally a couple of plays away from going in there favor. Nobody in the east would've beat them any of the years they were winning 60 games....That's on the front office then.

GodsSon
02-10-2010, 07:32 PM
They might have been...Marion, JJ, Amare, Nash, Q coupled with guys like Blur and signees like Matt Barnes and Grant Hill; not to mention rookies/draft picks they gave away like Rondo, Deng and Rudy

Alwaysballin247
02-10-2010, 07:50 PM
probably would have been number one team record wise but you can't win in the playoffs with that style so I would so no but FUN FUN FUN team to watch

Hawkeye15
02-10-2010, 08:12 PM
sure they would have. And their payroll would be $100 million

Bashna
02-10-2010, 08:16 PM
We were FORCED out of winning a ring twice, and maybe even 3 times if you count JJ's broken face. So yes, we could've won easily had we resigned JJ and never traded away prospects.

JasonJohnHorn
02-10-2010, 08:31 PM
As a fan of the game I like to watch great teams play great ball and that team was great. Q. Richardson was playing great ball alongside the other four starters and looked like an all-star himself, Marion waa boarding and defending and drop around 20 points a night, Amare was a center that could face the basket and put the ball on the floor as well as shoot and play the pivot, Joe Johnson is a great all-around player who thrived and finally made his mark with the Suns and Nash is the greatest facillitator in the league. That starting line-up was AMAZING!!!! That first season with Nash they lacked depth, but they picked up Hill that off seeason, and Tim thomas and already had Barbosa. They would have had a solid 8 man rotation and just would have needed a big on the bench to get some boards, take some fouls and defend and that team would have been dynastic! Its hard to say if they would have won because the Spurs and the Lakers would still have all the pieces they have and had, but it would have been a lot more fun to watch.

And I think its important to note that Steve Kerr is not entirely to blame for the shape of the team. The moves he's made have all been based on money and that is obviously an instruction he has gotten from his boss. Most GM's would spend as much as they could if allowed and if a GM is insturcted to move a contract to reduce pay roll, then his hands are tied. I think Kerr has actually pulled off some impressive moves and kept a solid rotation together considering the limititations he's had, but its sad when you have to give away draft picks to move contracts (like the Kurt Thomas move), because then you can't even hope to rebuild through the draft. Joe Dumars had a similar issue himself when Okur signed an offer sheet with Utah. I'm sure Dumars wanted to match, but he had to keep his salary at a certain level to avoid the luxry tax and keep room available for re-signing Ben Wallace (which didn't happen because he wasn't given the green light to out bid the Bulls). The Pistons would also still have their core together along with Okur had Dumars had free reign.

GM's sometimes have their hands tied and guys like Kerr and Dumars have done pretty decent jobs considering the limits they've been given, though I'm not so inclined to forgive the Ben Gordon/Charlie V signings this past off season ;-)

NYKnickFanatic
02-10-2010, 08:34 PM
No, they did not have Joe Johnson and Raja Bell on the same team. Joe Johnson and Quentin Richardson left after the 2004-05 season, and Raja Bell and Tim Thomas came in the 2005-06 season.

This. :clap:

jojoe1188
02-10-2010, 08:43 PM
if stoudemire doesnt get suspended they would have won anyway.....lol

JasonJohnHorn
02-10-2010, 09:04 PM
if stoudemire doesnt get suspended they would have won anyway.....lol

I love the pic you have up. Great shot.

24/7
02-10-2010, 09:05 PM
No. Steve Nash is one of the worst defenders in the NBA. And that team was terrible Defensively. Steve Nash's style is great for running people out of the building in the regular season, but against the big boys, it doesn't work, and it won't ever work.

heyman321
02-10-2010, 09:34 PM
No. Steve Nash is one of the worst defenders in the NBA. And that team was terrible Defensively. Steve Nash's style is great for running people out of the building in the regular season, but against the big boys, it doesn't work, and it won't ever work.

Pretty sure they would have won in 06/07 if Diaw and Stoudemire were playing.

Bashna
02-10-2010, 09:39 PM

Shows what you know... The Suns were between 12-15 in defensive rating between 05-07. Above Average is terrible apparently, you're an Idiot.

td0tsfinest
02-10-2010, 09:49 PM
if joe johnson stayed, I think they could've won the championship the year after.

But the core of Nash, Stat and Marion would have still kept the Suns as the cream of the west crop.

24/7
02-10-2010, 10:01 PM
The fact is: Steve Nash-Ball didn't win a single ring. So who gives a **** about them?

Bishnoff
02-10-2010, 10:05 PM
:cry: