PDA

View Full Version : Kevin Durant is 21 and averaging 30 a game. How far can he go?

ProdigyI
02-10-2010, 11:01 AM
How much will he be averaging when he's 25 years old to 30?

It's kind of scary

Carey
02-10-2010, 11:30 AM
For our sake hopefully not too much more then that, By then i expect us to be a championship caliber team with a more balanced offense but i do expect his scoring numbers to hover around 26 to 30 a game while his other numbers continue to go up.

td0tsfinest
02-10-2010, 11:36 AM
If this guys round outs his defensive game, he's going to be a scary player in this league ( though he is already on the offensive end). He's got all the necessary tools to be a good defender, that 7-0 foot wingspan could make him taysaun prince like.

Swashcuff
02-10-2010, 11:38 AM
KD35= Future HOFer

Pierzynski4Prez
02-10-2010, 11:41 AM
Unless he has no other legit scorer next to him, in that case OKC won't be successful, he can push up to 35 a game in his prime.

But if his team surrounds him with good offensive players (which they seem to be doing), I would imagine he stays between 25-30 for his career.

arkanian215
02-10-2010, 11:45 AM

It's kind of scary

i think the only thing that can hold him back would be an injury. he has great touch and form on his jumpers, has the physical tools to be special in this league (big hands, long frame, some strength, quick and athletic). he also has the killer instinct. as long as he's to go to guy on okc, i can imagine him getting 35 ppg in a season.

G-Funk
02-10-2010, 11:45 AM
He needs to take less shots and play defense and pass the ball more

2.9 assist per game=Ballhog

Carey
02-10-2010, 12:02 PM

Wrong! He takes 20 shots a game, we are average offensively so we depend on him heavily to score the points he scoring and play good team defense to win games. He is a very unselfish player, analyze the situation a little more before you look at one stat and make assumptions.

G-Funk
02-10-2010, 12:09 PM
Wrong! He takes 20 shots a game, we are average offensively so we depend on him heavily to score the points he scoring and play good team defense to win games. He is a very unselfish player, analyze the situation a little more before you look at one stat and make assumptions.

ok, so are you one of the guys who think that Lebron is better then Kobe cause he averages more assist?

Carey
02-10-2010, 12:16 PM
ok, so are you one of the guys who think that Lebron is better then Kobe cause he averages more assist?

How does that even relate or make sense? lol

bagwell368
02-10-2010, 12:21 PM
He can be the next McAdoo. Tall skinny gun turns into bit part defensive piece on Championship teams....

He's very talented on offense, but I do not like guys his size that can't/won't play D and gut it out inside.

He just reminds me more of McAdoo and Ralph Sampson then his fans should be comfortable with.

noahs_sideburns
02-10-2010, 12:24 PM

Is this a serious question? Lebron is better than Kobe without taking assists into account

Carey
02-10-2010, 12:25 PM
He can be the next McAdoo. Tall skinny gun turns into bit part defensive piece on Championship teams....

He's very talented on offense, but I do not like guys his size that can't/won't play D and gut it out inside.

He just reminds me more of McAdoo and Ralph Sampson then his fans should be comfortable with.

Have you watched an entire OKC game? We play great defense and he has really bought in and has played solid D. Sometimes very good, sometimes average. He'll never be a body builder but he's only 22, he will fill out some more, he gained 10 lbs and got alot stronger in the offseason, he'll continue to get stronger. I follow the team so its things i dont expect non-fans to know but he has a special work ethic. He will be one of the very best players in the league for a long time.

G-Funk
02-10-2010, 12:28 PM
Is this a serious question? Lebron is better than Kobe without taking assists into account

:facepalm:

ldc62
02-10-2010, 12:30 PM

Hater in the house.

DaBUU
02-10-2010, 12:33 PM

x2 :facepalm:

ManRam
02-10-2010, 12:35 PM
He's a forward. 2.9 assists isn't bad...especially considering the general lack of offense around him, and the fact that he has a PG who is a great passer and runs the offense most of the time.

He'll hang around 30 for a while. As Westbrook gets better, as Harden gets better, assuming they get a legit big sometime...his scoring burden will go down. He'll be a top 5 player for a long time. Hopefully OKC can get the pieces around him to give him the chance to contend.

Raoul Duke_91
02-10-2010, 12:45 PM

wtf? KD is the man on that team. If im in the thunder front office I am thrilled with the efficiency he scores with and the role he has taken as a leader on thier squad.

plus how many assists do you honestly expect a sf to get....he isnt as good a passer as lebron but then again who is, so its not really fair to expect him to get assists like that.

Seattlesports
02-10-2010, 12:46 PM
For the people on this who think he needs to have more assits have no knowledge of basketball. Just let him do what he does and thats score on every body so haters keep hating. He will be the best in the nba when he gets stronger

Kobe2324
02-10-2010, 12:48 PM
hes gonna keep scoring at this pace till he is surrounded by enough talent...But for now he is a fun player to watch, probly my 2nd favorite player to watch next to Kobe.

Hawkeye15
02-10-2010, 12:50 PM
I don't think he will average more than 30-32 ppg. There should be no need. The Thunder should be a pretty damn good team in about 2 years, so he will be getting help. But I would think he will be a big time scorer who could easily land top 5 of all time if he doesn't get hurt during his career. Great scorer, maybe passing Melo as the best scorer in the league, and I mean he scores in every way possible.

Hawkeye15
02-10-2010, 12:52 PM
good example. Remember when Bryant had to average 35 ppg to carry his team to the playoffs? Durant has to do the same thing essentially. When Westbrook, Harden, Green, and whomever they get going forward grow up, Durant won't have to shoulder than burden

TheKing23
02-10-2010, 01:03 PM
He could average 30-33 ppg on a non-contending team with no other offensive option or 25-28 on a contender with a legit second option.

I still don't really see him in the realm of LeBron, Wade and Kobe because he's purely offensive and is still only a scorer. He needs to add further dimensions to his offensive skill set to be in the same conversation as those guys and improve his defense dramatically.

Guy is a great scorer no doubt.

arkanian215
02-10-2010, 01:09 PM

:laugh: that's almost three a game.

Carey
02-10-2010, 01:15 PM
He could average 30-33 ppg on a non-contending team with no other offensive option or 25-28 on a contender with a legit second option.

I still don't really see him in the realm of LeBron, Wade and Kobe because he's purely offensive and is still only a scorer. He needs to add further dimensions to his offensive skill set to be in the same conversation as those guys and improve his defense dramatically.
Guy is a great scorer no doubt.

And at 22 he's certaintly years away from his prime and has improved rapidly in all faucets since he has been in the league.

Hawkeye15
02-10-2010, 01:17 PM
And at 22 he's certaintly years away from his prime and has improved rapidly in all faucets since he has been in the league.

he isnt athletic or strong enough to catch Bron, Wade, or Kobe. He is simply going to be a better Carmelo, which aint bad. He will easily be a top 4 player in the NBA over his prime years. But he will never be strong enough or fast enough to pass LeBron.

C-Van
02-10-2010, 01:25 PM
He is a very solid player, and judging by how he dominated at his one year with the Horns, I think we could potentially be looking at a guy who averages around 30-32 points a game, and can potentially get 9-10 boards a game, and even 11 if he beefs up significantly more. I don't think that the Thunder will be able to compete until they get a solid big man down low. Don't get me wrong, Jeff Green is good, but no team will ever win a championship with him as their sole threat downlow. I honestly think that the Thunder go too good, too soon. Another year in the lottery and they could have picked up someone with alot of upside like DeMarcus Cousins or Cole Aldrich, and they woulda been set for the next 7-8 years with a solid starting lineup like this

C- DeMarcus Cousins
PF- Jeff Green
SF- Kevin Durant
SG- Jeff Harden
PG- Russell Westbrook

Kevin is already a sick and amazing player, and he has the potential to be THAT player that can lead his team to glory too, I am that impressed with his game. He just needs a little bit more poundage (but not as much as people are making it sound), a bit more experience, a little work on D, and a solid big man down low.

Carey
02-10-2010, 01:25 PM
he isnt athletic or strong enough to catch Bron, Wade, or Kobe. He is simply going to be a better Carmelo, which aint bad. He will easily be a top 4 player in the NBA over his prime years. But he will never be strong enough or fast enough to pass LeBron.

I agree to an extent, he wont be physically imposing but he has great length, once he gets strong enough to absorb contact consistently when driving to the basket(he already leads the league in ft attempts and makes) also that help his defense because he'll be more confident with closing in on people and being able to absorb the contact once they drive. He'll be right in the conversation once these things happen.

bagwell368
02-10-2010, 01:26 PM
Have you watched an entire OKC game? We play great defense and he has really bought in and has played solid D. Sometimes very good, sometimes average. He'll never be a body builder but he's only 22, he will fill out some more, he gained 10 lbs and got alot stronger in the offseason, he'll continue to get stronger. I follow the team so its things i dont expect non-fans to know but he has a special work ethic. He will be one of the very best players in the league for a long time.

I have not seen him much this year. If you say he is making progress, then it's good for you and he could end up being a top 7 or 5 sort of player.

After KG took some years to fill out and get fierce.

Sadds The Gr8
02-10-2010, 01:27 PM

lol are u an idiot? SF's don't need to get assist...ESPECIALLY considering his PG averages 7+ apg already...:facepalm:

And he only averages 20 shots a game while averaging 30 ppg, showing how efficient he is...

Punkindrublic03
02-10-2010, 01:30 PM

If you are gonna play that game, Kobe only averaged 2.53 assists in his first 3 years in the league. KD 2.7 assists in his first 2.5 seasons. You have to make the argument comparable to career timelines.

A young KD is much greater than a young Kobe

stop hating and give the man credit.

Jahari Kavi
02-10-2010, 01:58 PM
durant should be one of the best ever to do it...yeah I'm calling it already.....I saw it in college, which is why I will never understand how these moronic scouts and analysts thought greg oden was the better pick.....oh the stupidity of some............

Swashcuff
02-10-2010, 03:34 PM
durant should be one of the best ever to do it...yeah I'm calling it already.....I saw it in college, which is why I will never understand how these moronic scouts and analysts thought greg oden was the better pick.....oh the stupidity of some............

they werent moronic they went for the Big. It has always been the case and it will always be like that. Every great dynasty with the exception of the BULLS was built around a big. Oden was suppose to be the next Big thing. If things worked out as planned and Oden was healthy with 20+ 12+ and 3 blocks the Blazers would be at the top of the west inserious title contention and Oden would have been widely regarded as the right choice. But hey Im glad KD was at two because he never would have gotten the chance to do what he's doing now with the team the Blazers have. So it worked out pretty ok.

Swashcuff
02-10-2010, 03:35 PM

What flavour HATERADE are you guzzling???

SteveNash
02-10-2010, 04:28 PM
30 is his peak.

phoenix_bladen
02-10-2010, 05:09 PM
iamgine portland took him instead of oden ?

roy + durant ? OMG......

Hawkeye15
02-10-2010, 05:10 PM
I agree to an extent, he wont be physically imposing but he has great length, once he gets strong enough to absorb contact consistently when driving to the basket(he already leads the league in ft attempts and makes) also that help his defense because he'll be more confident with closing in on people and being able to absorb the contact once they drive. He'll be right in the conversation once these things happen.

I disagree. While I can see Durant having many 50 point games for example, I don't ever see him having 20 games a year where he has double digits in rebounds or assists. He isnt going to be as complete as LeBron for example. But he is a highly skilled scorer, and will be arguably the best pure scorer in the NBA for many years. But don't expect many 25/15 games for example. He will continue to throw up 30/7/3.
I am not trying to slam him, he is a great, great player, and will be top 3-4. He just isn't catching LJ

JermanJaysFan
02-10-2010, 05:16 PM
I could certainly see him producing like Tracy McGrady circa 2002-2003.

JordansBulls
02-10-2010, 05:19 PM

It's kind of scary

Well it depends on his team.

sp1derm00
02-10-2010, 05:25 PM
I think Durant will be good enough to rival LBJ as the best SF in the league.

He is an extremely gifted scorer that has been improving each year. Consistent is a good word to describe Durant.

While he isn't as gifted athletically as Lebron, he is as gifted physically as Lebron, just in different ways. Lebron might be a 6'8 athletic freight train, but Durant is 6'9 with like a 7'4 wingspan... and he can shoot lights out.

C-Van
02-10-2010, 05:28 PM
iamgine portland took him instead of oden ?

roy + durant ? OMG......

plus lamarcus...geeze louis

JNA17
02-10-2010, 05:34 PM

Allen Iverson was known to be the biggest big hog in the early 2000s and in his prime and averaged about 7 or 8 assists a game, what does that tell you?

JWO35
02-10-2010, 05:36 PM
At the age of 31..Kevin Durant will be averaging 60ppg

harlequin018
02-10-2010, 05:38 PM
He can score along with anyone. Its not good for the Thunder, but he can average mid 30s easily without hugely sacrificing efficiency when he gets a little older and wiser. He's definitely a dynamic player and already in the elite company of guys like LeBron, Kobe and Wade. With time, he'll be the runaway second best player in the league.

Ovratd1up
02-10-2010, 05:38 PM
I disagree. While I can see Durant having many 50 point games for example, I don't ever see him having 20 games a year where he has double digits in rebounds or assists. He isnt going to be as complete as LeBron for example. But he is a highly skilled scorer, and will be arguably the best pure scorer in the NBA for many years. But don't expect many 25/15 games for example. He will continue to throw up 30/7/3.
I am not trying to slam him, he is a great, great player, and will be top 3-4. He just isn't catching LJ

He already has 16 double-doubles this year, so... yeah...

JNA17
02-10-2010, 05:39 PM
If you are gonna play that game, Kobe only averaged 2.53 assists in his first 3 years in the league. KD 2.7 assists in his first 2.5 seasons. You have to make the argument comparable to career timelines.

terrible example.

In Kobe's first year he hardly got 15 min a game.
In Kobe's 2nd year, once again, did not start, only got 26 min, and still started in the all star game at age 19.
In Kobe's 3rd year where he finally got his start, he averaged 20 but also it was the strike year so not many games where he could have his change to score or assist more.

nice try ;).

Even though i do think assists and steals are the 2 most overrated stats, your example was just terrible.

Bishnoff
02-10-2010, 05:39 PM
[QUOTE=C-Van;12257199]

C- DeMarcus Cousins
PF- Jeff Green
SF- Kevin Durant
SG- Jeff Harden
PG- Russell Westbrook

QUOTE]

That line-up is just plain scary. It's a pity that the Thunder are doing so well and Cousins will end up going top 4.

Chronz
02-10-2010, 05:41 PM
God forbid KD ends up like Tmac, anyone got any info on KD's medical history? I would hate for another once a decade talent to fall victim to bad genetics

Bishnoff
02-10-2010, 05:43 PM
terrible example.

In Kobe's first year he hardly got 15 min a game.
In Kobe's 2nd year, once again, did not start, only got 26 min, and still started in the all star game at age 19.
In Kobe's 3rd year where he finally got his start, he averaged 20 but also it was the strike year so not many games where he could have his change to score or assist more.

nice try ;).

Even though i do think assists and steals are the 2 most overrated stats, your example was just terrible.

Not a terrible example. Kobe had Shaq (as well as Eddie Jones, Van Exel etc.) to pass to and get easy assists. KD doesn't have anyone remotely that dominant at the moment. Punkindrublic03 didn't even mention scoring; he was only defending KD from the ballhog posts.

JNA17
02-10-2010, 05:45 PM
Not a terrible example. Kobe had Shaq to pass to and get easy assists. KD doesn't have anyone remotely that dominant at the moment.

Kobe's a SG, not a PG lol.

And once again how is kobe able to get a lot of assists if he did not get the min to do so? Your logic is failing.

valade16
02-10-2010, 05:46 PM
I watched him play against the Blazers last night and I noticed that everytime he got the ball on offense he shot it/rarely passed it. He took many shots where he basically dribbled once, stepped back, and shot.

On the other side of the coin like 90% of their offense was movement to get him the ball, and those step back shots he took, he drilled nearly evertime.

I think his "ballhog" label is more a product of their offense, not an indication of how he plays...

kArSoN RyDaH
02-10-2010, 05:51 PM

well if you want to play that game then kobe didnt even start his frst two years so you cant compare the two. take into account kobe only started 7 games his first two years so his minutes were limited. if you take his first 2 years starting hes averaging a little over 4 assists per game. durant is the sole player on his team and cant get assists. you cant make this comparison. but its funny how everyone says wen kobe shoots too much hes a ballhog but here u have durant who jacks up almost as much shots and has practically no assists and you guys idolize him..:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Ovratd1up
02-10-2010, 06:09 PM
If I had arguably the league's best scorer in the league I would let him be a ball hog. He is amazingly efficient for all the possessions he uses, as opposed to say, Westbrook. I'm guessing Durant stopped passing him the ball as much when he realized he was making less than 2 shots for every 5 he took.

tredigs
02-10-2010, 07:03 PM
If his team other than him shot better than 42% from the field, he'd have closer to 6 assists a game.

tredigs
02-10-2010, 07:08 PM
well if you want to play that game then kobe didnt even start his frst two years so you cant compare the two. take into account kobe only started 7 games his first two years so his minutes were limited. if you take his first 2 years starting hes averaging a little over 4 assists per game. durant is the sole player on his team and cant get assists. you cant make this comparison. but its funny how everyone says wen kobe shoots too much hes a ballhog but here u have durant who jacks up almost as much shots and has practically no assists and you guys idolize him..:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Just look at the stats, man. Kobe shoots more, and makes less. Facepalm yourself all you want, but it's the way it is. Plus, a sg who had the most dominate player of all time in his prime on his team while growing into the league had BETTER get more assists than a 6'10" small forward who has a team around him shooting a disgusting percentage (not to hate on those guys, their upside is huge and they're a good group, but it's a fact).

tredigs
02-10-2010, 07:17 PM
I have not seen him much this year. If you say he is making progress, then it's good for you and he could end up being a top 7 or 5 sort of player.

After KG took some years to fill out and get fierce.

He already is. He's proven to be unstoppable offensively, and with his three hitting at the rate it is (>50% over the last 2+months), he is just scary good. Defense is DRAMATICALLY improved. If you don't believe me, go to www.82games.com/0910/0910OKC.HTM and check out his production compared to his opponents. There's a BIG reason why his +- stats are so ridiculous this year (in a good way), and were so poor last year. The answer is his defense.

We're looking at a top 3 MVP candidate this year (I have him 2nd behind Lebron), who is amazingly efficient offensively and is only 21 years old. Sky is the limit. I will say, though, that this league is UNBELIEVABLY talented right now with Wade, Melo, Cp3, Howard, Kobe, Lebron, Durant and about 20 others knocking at the door. Possibly the most talented the league has ever been, overall. Reminds me of early 90's b-ball.

/threadjack

G-Funk
02-10-2010, 07:30 PM
It was intended to all u maggots who called Kobe a ballhog.But I guess now it's ok to shoot and not pass. but a few years ago Kobe wasn't a team player. bunch of ****ing hypocrites.

replace that m with and f homos

tredigs
02-10-2010, 07:39 PM
It was intended to all u maggots who called Kobe a ballhog.But I guess now it's ok to shoot and not pass. but a few years ago Kobe wasn't a team player. bunch of ****ing hypocrites.

replace that m with and f homos

Kinda fun to watch the fury that goes into seeing a butthurt Laker fan realizing they have no argument that an up 'n coming 21 year old is already a more efficient and deadlier offensive force than Kobe now.

Hawkeye15
02-10-2010, 07:51 PM
He already has 16 double-doubles this year, so... yeah...

what I meant is, he isn't going to have a 20 rebound game ,or just a complete dominant all around game as often as LeBron for example. He isnt going to put up 30+ PER seasons. I am really not trying to slight Durant, he is awesome. But he is not catching LeBron. Lets look at both of their 3rd seasons.

LeBron was already a great distributor. He also drew fouls at a much higher rate. Durant is far behind in both of these, and doesn't have the same build or athletic build in the least. But, he has a WAY better jumper for their 3rd years, of which is already elite and probably won't get much better, since its already as good as it gets. I dont think he has the physical build to be a LeBron type defender or penetrator. Basically, he is getting to his celiing shortly as a supreme scorer. He simply won't be the same all around player LeBron is. But then again, there hasn't been a player like LeBron come along ever. Durant is going to be another great scorer who has impressive numbers, and his team's success will dictate where he goes down in history.
I will say, I was actually surprised at Durant's rebound rate. Watching him I dont even notice his rebounding, but his rate is pretty good for a SF. It will no doubt be the following rankings for SF's going forward

LeBron
Durant
Melo

sorry Denver fans, Durant has past Melo at this point

Raph12
02-10-2010, 08:32 PM
Lebron went for 31.6ppg-6.6rpg-7.1apg-1.6spg-0.8bpg in his 3rd season as a 21 year old. He hasn't done anything too outstanding since, soooo...

Kyben36
02-10-2010, 08:39 PM
I know I will get bashed, but to me, he has only showed he can score, another great scorer was ben Gordon, and he isnt that good, untill durant can prove to become more of a player maker not scorer, and better defensivly, he wont win anything IMO.

truthfully, he doesnt remind me of an allstar, he is to me a big time scorer at this point in his carear.

sargon21
02-10-2010, 08:39 PM
damn if he gets to 35 thats ridic, mj only got to 37 in prime

Bullsfan22
02-10-2010, 08:50 PM

lebron is better than kobe PERIOD.

to answer the question I think he will stay around where he's at scoring wise. I think he'll become a better passer, rebounder and leader.

Chronz
02-10-2010, 08:55 PM
I know I will get bashed, but to me, he has only showed he can score, another great scorer was ben Gordon, and he isnt that good, untill durant can prove to become more of a player maker not scorer, and better defensivly, he wont win anything IMO.

truthfully, he doesnt remind me of an allstar, he is to me a big time scorer at this point in his carear.
You deserve to be bashed for comparing BG to Durant. They dont fall under the same category as far as scorers go.

C-Van
02-11-2010, 01:29 AM

Oh my Gawd...you just compared Ben Gordon to Kevin Durant...awesome. I have NEVER seen that, nor do I think I ever will again.

Hey, have any of you been noticing similarities in Tyreke Evans game to Shaq in his prime?

JayW_1023
02-11-2010, 08:12 AM
People are giving Durant way too much credit. Yes he can score...but his allround game needs work. Russell Westbrook is a stud in his own right and he can actually defend.

CAVS21
02-11-2010, 01:34 PM

:facepalm: well here's the thing, Bron IS better all around compared to Kobe BUT this thread is about Durant. With that being said, IMO the sky is the limit for this kid. Could you imagine if he put on like 20-25 pounds of muscle and keeps developing? that would be insane! As the talent develops around him like it seems to be I think his assist numbers will go way up and can see him and LBJ fighting for MVPs for many years to come.

SteveNash
02-11-2010, 04:56 PM
Comparing Durant to Gordon is better than comparing him to Sampson and McAdoo.

JayW_1023
02-11-2010, 06:38 PM
Durant reminds me most of George Gervin, The Iceman. Two great scorers...two different generations. But both very similair.

DerekRE_3
02-11-2010, 06:42 PM
People are giving Durant way too much credit. Yes he can score...but his allround game needs work. Russell Westbrook is a stud in his own right and he can actually defend.

I don't think Durant is as a bad of defender as some people make him out to be. With his combination of quickness and length, he could become a very good defender. For now, I'd call him average to above average. Obviously he's not their defensive stopper, that's what they have Thabo for.

td0tsfinest
02-11-2010, 06:53 PM
Durant reminds me most of George Gervin, The Iceman. Two great scorers...two different generations. But both very similair.

Man how old are you to have watched the Ice Man play.

JayW_1023
02-12-2010, 10:55 AM
Man how old are you to have watched the Ice Man play.

I'm not that old...just watch alot of footage. As a Spurs fan i'm well aware of the history.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5liYhD-ads

Gervin is probably the closest thing to Durant.

king4day
02-12-2010, 11:02 AM
He's lookin like he'll surpass Wade in the top 3 over the next few years....

Then again, he might even pass Kobe as Kobe starts to decline.

This is the first time that I feel passing on Durant was a mistake for Portland.
Despite injuries, Oden was the correct choice at the time, but I don't think anyone thought KD would be this good.

Chronz
02-12-2010, 02:28 PM
Yea if Gervin could shoot 3's and defend atleast respectably