PDA

View Full Version : Vince says hes been saving his knees

Chronz
02-09-2010, 05:41 PM
PER True Hoop

Caller: ďI donít want to disgrace one of your fellow Tar Heels but Vince Carter is not playing very well for the Magic. Do you think they made a mistake by not trying harder to get [Hedo] Turkoglu back and then trading for him? I almost think heíd be better off the bench as kind of like a spark maybe that would help out. I donít know, you tell me.Ē

Jerry Stackhouse: ďI got the scoop on that when we played them [February 2 in Orlando] and Iím glad we got to that, because I asked him. I was like, ĎMan, whatís going on? Is it the team? Kind of being close to home? What is it?í Heís like, ĎStack, man, my knee isnít right. Iím basically not able, Iím able to play but ...í I think he kind of has a number in his mind of how long he really wants to continue playing because of all of the pounding and jumping that he has on his knees, and thatís what he told me, so I think that maybe thatís some of it. Hopefully he can find a way to weather that or strengthen it and be able to at least turn it on for them in the playoffs. But him playing at the level that heís playing right now, I donít see them really getting back to the Finals. They need him to be that guy, they need him to be that closer because they donít have a bona fide closer on that team. Rashard Lewis has won some games for them late but you canít really throw the ball down to [Dwight] Howard late because if he goes to the free throw line, [thereís] a good chance of having an empty possession with that. So youíve got to have Vince Carter, who is a guy that has been a closer for the most part of his career, to step up and be that closer for them. And, I think, as far as heís concerned, his body might not allow him to do that.Ē

Thoughts?

kEviN21
02-09-2010, 05:47 PM
After last night, the Magic should be fine. They need him to do what Paul Pierce does for the Celtics and not be a LBJ for the Cav's.

Cowboys123456
02-09-2010, 05:50 PM
all it takes is one person to play strong d on him and his season is over...

he is a joke

once he realized he cant play like he used to when it matters he will fake an injury and that will be a rap

BANK ON IT!!

MeanFinger
02-09-2010, 05:57 PM
it kinda makes sense.. they r sittin in the 2nd spot in the east. no need to grind it out every single night. its a long season..

GodsSon
02-09-2010, 06:04 PM
sounds like he isn't giving 100%...something that Toronto fans have been saying for years

ManRam
02-09-2010, 06:05 PM
I would have rather him just sit out a game here and there, or a couple weeks straight then to not give it 100% day in and day out. That bothers me.

I don't know if I believe it anyways.

dudeonthemoon
02-09-2010, 06:12 PM
hes not a winner doesnt no what it takes, you have lay everything on the line every play not saving ur legs. i think its bull ****, when u r trying to save ur legs u kinda play more efficient not shot 29% in a month

SteveNash
02-09-2010, 06:19 PM
If he wanted to save his knees, why would he not sit out? And if he didn't want to sit out, why did he take so many bad shots?

LeonFSU
02-09-2010, 06:50 PM
where in that Stackhouse quote does it say he is "saving his knees"? It sounds to me like he is legitimately hurt, and from some of the games I've seen him play lately, that isn't so hard to believe. Maybe he is feeling better now, or maybe some games his knees don't bother him as much and he can play through it.

PLAYERS FAN
02-09-2010, 06:54 PM
sounds like he isn't giving 100%...something that Toronto fans have been saying for years

:laugh:

ManRam
02-09-2010, 06:59 PM

Sounds like something Toronto fans need to get over...

Not giving 100% on a championship contending team is unacceptable. It's not acceptable on a cellar dweller either, but it's much more understandable.

GodsSon
02-09-2010, 07:07 PM

Not giving 100% on a championship contending team is unacceptable. It's not acceptable on a cellar dweller either, but it's much more understandable.

At this point in time I could really care less about him...the fact that he was brought in to bring you guys over the hump, and now this comes out that he's possibly not giving it 100%, I'd be pissed off if I were a Magic fan (if it's true)

ManRam
02-09-2010, 07:18 PM
At this point in time I could really care less about him...the fact that he was brought in to bring you guys over the hump, and now this comes out that he's possibly not giving it 100%, I'd be pissed off if I were a Magic fan (if it's true)

I'm pissed...and ask any other Magic fan here, I have not been a fan of VC since pretty much day 1. However, if it is true, and if him settling for ****** jump shots over attacking helps him be fresher for the playoffs, then I can live with it. I just would have rather he sat out games, maybe the second games of back-to-backs or something.

It's all about being healthy for the playoffs now. We wont win the title unless he plays like he has the last few games.

mvb815
02-09-2010, 07:18 PM

A couple more bad moves like not resigning turk or bringing VC in and they might be "cellar dwellers" in a few years.

smith&wesson
02-09-2010, 07:20 PM
Im a raps fan, and i dont have anything against VC... some raps fans really need to get over it and stop hating on this guy.. let it go already.

correct me if im wrong VC dropped 48 points in his last game ?? at 33 thats really impresive to me. and also it takes time for players to gel with new teams, and when i say time it could be different for different players... some players fit right in with a new system and team some players take a season to really adapt... turks going through the same thing in toronto. only he hasnt had a 48 point game and i dont think he ever will really.

orlando is still very dangerous imo...

Raph12
02-09-2010, 09:39 PM
After last night, the Magic should be fine. They need him to do what Paul Pierce does for the Celtics and not be a LBJ for the Cav's.

Dead on, we don't need him to drop 48 pts a night, Dwight dropped 25 and Shard dropped 18 last night, we have scorers. If he can go for anything around 17-5-3 on 45+%, the Magic have as good as chance as any to get to the Finals IMO.

*Superman*
02-09-2010, 09:51 PM
I believe him. There is no need for him to go full out everytime in the regular season.

joey_botafuko17
02-09-2010, 10:17 PM
Last nights game is prime example for me why you don't want Vince Carter on your team.

He can turn it on whenever he wants, and he just doesn't do it. He has no will to win. He could be the softest player in the league. I can count at least 5 times in my head I saw him cry when he was playing for the Raptors. The guy has all the talent in the world but hes missing the entangibles that make a winner....heart and the desire to do whatever it takes to win.

I wouldn't welcome him back on my team for free, and you can say Raptors fans should get over it by now, but growing up in Toronto, he was my hero...he quit on this team long before we quit on him, and he did it in New Jersey, and he will do it again.

heathonater
02-10-2010, 06:38 AM
vince carter sure had a game a couple nights ago. too bad he can't jump like he once did when he was half man-half amazing in toronto.

stawka
02-10-2010, 08:14 AM
If he's saving his knees for Playoff time, then what's wrong with that? Bla bla bla... We've heard it all before. "Shaq and LeBron won't work", we saw where that went. "Orlando is done without Turk", yes he created mismatches but come playoff time Orlando will be ready. "Boston is done", same goes with them.

I'm all for playing conservative during the first half of the season, but after the break give it your all. Come Playoff time, risk your life for the win. Especially on a contending team like the Magic, and on 30+ years of fragile knees. I'm not a Carter fan - never have, never will be... But cut the man some slack

dev0
02-10-2010, 09:32 AM
he's also just a whiner

Knowledge
02-10-2010, 12:08 PM
PER True Hoop

Thoughts?

Isnt this title kinda misleading? He isnt really talking about him saving his knees, he is talking about how Vince told him that his knee isnt/wasnt right. When you say Vince is saving his knees, it makes it look like he is not giving his all.

zambo4president
02-10-2010, 12:14 PM
Go hard everyday, something VC doesn't do.