PDA

View Full Version : Its his hometown, but why else would LBJ stay? (CLE vs others)

Markg
02-09-2010, 03:38 PM
I've seen a lot of discussions asking why LeBron would leave Cleveland, but other than the fact its his hometown -- why would he stay?

IMHO, Cleveland makes no sense for LeBron.

Its a small media market: LeBron is estimated to make some $100million more in endorsements and various media deals if he was in NY or LA.

Management has put almost nothing around him: Whereas the Lakers paid big bucks and made big moves to get Kobe an All-Star side kick in Gasol, and continued to back it up with Artest and others..Cleveland's big signing is an aging Shaq?

And please don't start in with that - 'Why would he go to a team that has nothing..LBJ wants to win!'

Cleveland is not in any better a position to win than the Knicks, Nets, Heat, Bulls, Clippers or anyone else analysts have as possible homes. If you took LeBron off that lineup you'd have (compared with Knicks, Nets, Bulls):

Cavs
Gibson/Williams
Parker/West
Moon/
Hickson/Verjano/Powe
Shaq/Ilgauskas

Bulls
Rose/Brown/Pargo
Kirk/Salmons/Brown/Pargo
Deng/Salmons
Gibson/Tyrus/JJ
Noah/Miller

Knicks
Duhon/NateDog/Douglas
Chandler/Hughes
Gallinari/Jeffries
Harrington/Jeffries
Lee/Hill/Curry/Darko

Nets
Harris/Dooling
Lee/CDR/Williams
Hayes/CDR/Hassel
Yi/Humphries
Lopez/Battie

Getting the picture here? Cavs without LeBron might be better than Nets and Knicks..certainly not Bulls. Throw in the fact Shaq is likely done next year and its pretty much obvious. The Cavs have NOTHING to offer Lebron other than the fact its his hometown.

Anyone care to make the argument that the Cavs without LeBron are better than any of the worst teams in the NBA? Feel free to post your own lineup comparisons, as I left out some of the most likely new thrones for the king.

Raoul Duke
02-09-2010, 03:42 PM
No offense, but that's kind of a dumb question. He'd stay because he has a coach he likes, teammates he likes, a city he loves which is located a short drive from where he grew up, and a front office that has spent his entire career proving to him that they'll do whatever it takes to provide him with the best pieces available.

All his people are from that area. His entire "inner circle". He can be "the man" in Cleveland in a way that he can't anywhere else.

Giaps
02-09-2010, 03:51 PM
Some think Lebron is too big for Cleveland... he's been in Ohio his whole life... sometimes people want to get away from that. We'll see in less than 6 months.

Chicagofaithful
02-09-2010, 03:59 PM
yeah im excited to see where he lands... but if he went to NY... i bet they'd go on a spending spree buying talent.

king4day
02-09-2010, 04:10 PM
He should stay because ownership has already proven they'll do whatever it takes to make him happy. They've got a boatload of talent already and will get younger when Shaq's contract expires and Big Z leaves.
Then if they get Jamison or Amar'e, they have a core that can't be rivaled by many teams outside of LA and maybe orlando.

jetsfan28
02-09-2010, 04:13 PM
Because they could offer more money. He could stay home and make more money on his contract due to Bird right rules.

Chicago, NY, NJ, and even LAC and OKC (I would love to see that, but it won't happen) would make more sense from a basketball standpoint, and a market standpoint (except for OKC), but Cleveland is home and can offer more money on his contracts (no one really knows just how much more he could make in endorsements from moving).

He should stay because ownership has already proven they'll do whatever it takes to make him happy. They've got a boatload of talent already and will get younger when Shaq's contract expires and Big Z leaves.
Then if they get Jamison or Amar'e, they have a core that can't be rivaled by many teams outside of LA and maybe orlando.

I'm not so sure about that. He could not have been happy that they didn't make a trade last year with Wally.

And they don't have a boatload of talent. I'll take Gallo/Chandler/Lee, Deng/Rose/Noah, and even Lopez/Harris/High draft pick over Cleveland's core outside of LeBron any day.

Markg
02-09-2010, 04:14 PM

If your boat is a kyak, then yes - by all means they have talent.

If they get Jamison or Amar'e is about the same argument as any other team makes...

And how exactly do they get younger just by Shaq leaving? Everyone else on that roster is already in or past their prime.

I'm sorry..but your reasoning is flawed to say the least.

Markg
02-09-2010, 04:15 PM
Because they could offer more money. He could stay home and make more money on his contract due to Bird right rules.

Chicago, NY, NJ, and even LAC and OKC (I would love to see that, but it won't happen) would make more sense from a basketball standpoint, and a market standpoint (except for OKC), but Cleveland is home and can offer more money on his contracts (no one really knows just how much more he could make in endorsements from moving).

I'm not so sure about that. He could not have been happy that they didn't make a trade last year with Wally.

True CLE can offer a bigger contract..but he stands to make HUGE amounts from sponsorships and endorsements if he leaves CLE for a bigger market..noone knows exactly how much, but its a big number thats for sure.

mikantsass
02-09-2010, 04:24 PM
Cavs
Gibson/Williams
Parker/West
Moon/
Hickson/Verjano/Powe
Shaq/Ilgauskas

Bulls
Rose/Brown/Pargo
Kirk/Salmons/Brown/Pargo
Deng/Salmons
Gibson/Tyrus/JJ
Noah/Miller

Knicks
Duhon/NateDog/Douglas
Chandler/Hughes
Gallinari/Jeffries
Harrington/Jeffries
Lee/Hill/Curry/Darko

Nets
Harris/Dooling
Lee/CDR/Williams
Hayes/CDR/Hassel
Yi/Humphries
Lopez/Battie

Getting the picture here? Cavs without LeBron might be better than Nets and Knicks..certainly not Bulls. Throw in the fact Shaq is likely done next year and its pretty much obvious. The Cavs have NOTHING to offer Lebron other than the fact its his hometown.

Anyone care to make the argument that the Cavs without LeBron are better than any of the worst teams in the NBA? Feel free to post your own lineup comparisons, as I left out some of the most likely new thrones for the king.

Shaq would not be on the team if LeBron wasnt in Cleveland

cheezinmypocket
02-09-2010, 04:26 PM
Its a small media market: LeBron is estimated to make some $100million more in endorsements and various media deals if he was in NY or LA.

Where does this number come from? Is that a fact, or something that you thought sounded like a good dollar amount to base your argument around?

I can't see Lebron making an additional $100million being somewhere else, its not like he doesn't have his face all over international marketing already.

NetsPaint
02-09-2010, 04:27 PM
Maybe if the Cavaliers were in Akron he'd have a bigger chance to stay.Same state, but it could be a difference maker.

LeBron could also decide to want to play with Wade, and it seems like the only places that would happen is either Miami or NJ.I really have no idea if Jay-Z will play in any part of this, sure their friends and Jay-Z is a star, but LeBron might have lots of celebrity stars, so the friend thing might not mean anything as for as that being a big reason for him to sign with the Nets.

tMoNEy24
02-09-2010, 04:29 PM
I've seen a lot of discussions asking why LeBron would leave Cleveland, but other than the fact its his hometown -- why would he stay?

IMHO, Cleveland makes no sense for LeBron.

Management has put almost nothing around him: Whereas the Lakers paid big bucks and made big moves to get Kobe an All-Star side kick in Gasol, and continued to back it up with Artest and others..Cleveland's big signing is an aging Shaq?

And please don't start in with that - 'Why would he go to a team that has nothing..LBJ wants to win!'

Cleveland is not in any better a position to win than the Knicks, Nets, Heat, Bulls, Clippers or anyone else analysts have as possible homes. If you took LeBron off that lineup you'd have (compared with Knicks, Nets, Bulls):

Cavs
Gibson/Williams
Parker/West
Moon/
Hickson/Verjano/Powe
Shaq/Ilgauskas

Bulls
Rose/Brown/Pargo
Kirk/Salmons/Brown/Pargo
Deng/Salmons
Gibson/Tyrus/JJ
Noah/Miller

Knicks
Duhon/NateDog/Douglas
Chandler/Hughes
Gallinari/Jeffries
Harrington/Jeffries
Lee/Hill/Curry/Darko

Nets
Harris/Dooling
Lee/CDR/Williams
Hayes/CDR/Hassel
Yi/Humphries
Lopez/Battie

I wouldn't say the other teams are in better shape. Considering LBJ would command a max deal , the other teams would have to loose most of there talent they have now. Yeah, they might be if they take him off and just put him on another team. No way do I even put the cavs and nets in the same class

Gibby23
02-09-2010, 04:32 PM

And they don't have a boatload of talent. I'll take Gallo/Chandler/Lee, Deng/Rose/Noah, and even Lopez/Harris/High draft pick over Cleveland's core outside of LeBron any day.

They can only pay him as much as anyone else on a per year basis, but can offer him 6 years instead of 5. Lebron might as well take 5 year deal because he will be around 30 when he is a FA again and salaries might be higher by then. He could also do that by getting another opt out clause from the Cavs.

I know a lot of people compare the core of the Cavs with the core of the Knicks and Bulls and say the Knicks and Bulls are better. Lebron doesn't know how many wins those teams would have with him, but he does know the Cavs have the best record in the NBA with him and also had it last year.

tMoNEy24
02-09-2010, 04:34 PM
^^^ True

sintaks12
02-09-2010, 04:35 PM
They can only pay him as much as anyone else on a per year basis, but can offer him 6 years instead of 5. Lebron might as well take 5 year deal because he will be around 30 when he is a FA again and salaries might be higher by then. He could also do that by getting another opt out clause from the Cavs.

I know a lot of people compare the core of the Cavs with the core of the Knicks and Bulls and say the Knicks and Bulls are better. Lebron doesn't know how many wins those teams would have with him, but he does know the Cavs have the best record in the NBA with him and also had it last year.

He makes any team a contender. He knows that... cmon that ego his huge. Pair that fact with a team's ability to sign another top FA or possible max FA (Knicks, Nets, Heat, Bulls) how does he not bail? Cleveland is sweating right now, that's for sure.

Wade_County
02-09-2010, 04:37 PM
Some think Lebron is too big for Cleveland... he's been in Ohio his whole life... sometimes people want to get away from that. We'll see in less than 6 months.

im surprised no one made a count down thread let

tMoNEy24
02-09-2010, 04:37 PM
He makes any team a contender. He knows that... cmon that ego his huge. Pair that fact with a team's ability to sign another top FA or possible max FA (Knicks, Nets, Heat, Bulls) how does he not bail? Cleveland is sweating right now, that's for sure.

There's no way they'd be AS good as the Cavs, Most of what they have now would be gone.

fire2last
02-09-2010, 04:40 PM
CLE has arguably the deepest team in the NBA. Take out James and sure their starting 5 looks mediocre but that same could be said for almost every starting 5 minus LAL and SAS. But what CLE has that LAL and SAS don't is depth.

The Nets are a joke. I'd easily take CLE minus James over the Nets any day.

Knicks may lose Lee and I'd take CLE starting 5 minus James over NYK's.

I think CHI has the only legit team and if they were to add James they'd be tough. I think they can add a max and a 1/2 next year, depending on where the cap lands. But they will struggle with depth unless they can swing some trades before next year.

CLE has an established roster if they can make a good trade before the deadline this year it will be tough for LeBron to leave I think. But out of the teams you listed, CHI has the only legit team, IMO.

But hey maybe LeBron wants money instead of rings. If that's the case then maybe he will leave. But the guy already banks. I think he wants to win.

Gibby23
02-09-2010, 04:40 PM

The Cavs are not in cap hell either. They should have a good amount of money in 2011. Lebron can win a championship with this team and they can bring the same team back next year and add a major piece in 2011 to pair with Lebron. He could be on a championship team with money to spend.

pebloemer
02-09-2010, 04:44 PM
The Cavs are not in cap hell either. They should have a good amount of money in 2011. Lebron can when a championship with this team and they can bring the same team back next year and add a major piece in 2011 to pair with Lebron. He could be on a championship team with money to spend.

You have used great reason in this thread. Good posts.

tMoNEy24
02-09-2010, 04:53 PM
^^^ exactly. Lebron will "test" the FA waters just for the media to go CRAZY, he'll end up in CLE. Man loves it there

jeter 2
02-09-2010, 04:58 PM
I have to disagree with the fact that the Cleveland starting 5 minus would be better than the teams like knicks. To me, the Cleveland starting 5 minus lebron would be the worst team in the league, worse than the nets. Secondly, for years, lebron has been begging management for a sidekick, and for those years, they came up short. If he has a chance to play with another superstar, i see him leaving Cleveland. Sorry Cleveland fans.

KnicksorBust
02-09-2010, 04:58 PM
CLE has arguably the deepest team in the NBA. Take out James and sure their starting 5 looks mediocre but that same could be said for almost every starting 5 minus LAL and SAS. But what CLE has that LAL and SAS don't is depth.

The Nets are a joke. I'd easily take CLE minus James over the Nets any day.

Knicks may lose Lee and I'd take CLE starting 5 minus James over NYK's.

I think CHI has the only legit team and if they were to add James they'd be tough. I think they can add a max and a 1/2 next year, depending on where the cap lands. But they will struggle with depth unless they can swing some trades before next year.

CLE has an established roster if they can make a good trade before the deadline this year it will be tough for LeBron to leave I think. But out of the teams you listed, CHI has the only legit team, IMO.

But hey maybe LeBron wants money instead of rings. If that's the case then maybe he will leave. But the guy already banks. I think he wants to win.

Depth? Give me a break. One good PG, an undersized 2 with off the court issues, a WAY past his prime 2, no 3, an inconsistent 4, and two corpses at the 5. They'd win 30 games. Their roster is garbage without LeBron. He's so damn good it's ridiculous. Throw him on any team and they win at least 55 games.

miller74
02-09-2010, 05:06 PM
No offense, but that's kind of a dumb question. He'd stay because he has a coach he likes, teammates he likes, a city he loves which is located a short drive from where he grew up, and a front office that has spent his entire career proving to him that they'll do whatever it takes to provide him with the best pieces available.

All his people are from that area. His entire "inner circle". He can be "the man" in Cleveland in a way that he can't anywhere else.

Lebron is the man where ever he goes.

Dpop07
02-09-2010, 05:07 PM
It is a fact that within his Nike agreement it states that he'd make more money if he played in a larger market. Dallas does qualify...why wouldn't he accept a sign and trade with the mavs while they retain kidd(who bron loves), marian and dirk? that teams would be better than any NY, NJ, CHI situation.

tMoNEy24
02-09-2010, 05:08 PM
How could they afford that.. ^^^

Dpop07
02-09-2010, 05:09 PM
They have nearly 24 mil in expiring contracts of Howard and Dampier. Not sure how much his max contract would allow but throw in terry to get you to 35 mil.

jeter 2
02-09-2010, 05:12 PM
I heard that his nike contract is set to expire in 2010 as well.

Gibby23
02-09-2010, 05:12 PM
It is a fact that within his Nike agreement it states that he'd make more money if he played in a larger market. Dallas does qualify...why wouldn't he accept a sign and trade with the mavs while they retain kidd(who bron loves), marian and dirk? that teams would be better than any NY, NJ, CHI situation.

There is no way he ends up on the Mavs and the Cavs would not take bit pieces back in a sign and trade.

Dpop07
02-09-2010, 05:13 PM
And they aren't going to sign him to another one? He stands to make a lot more money in sponsorships in a larger market

tMoNEy24
02-09-2010, 05:14 PM
Mavs couldn't compete with the other teams in terms of a Sign and Trade.

bkmikeyy
02-09-2010, 05:14 PM
Clevelands best player under 27 without Lebron is JJ Hickson....enough said.
He has also made careers for players like Varejao and boobie gibson who would not make most NBA rosters without someone like Lebron helping them out.
Shaq is done after this season, so is big Z. Their only other above average player is Mo Williams, the rest of that roster is below average and too old to have any potential to get better.
So next year you have Mo, Delonte, Moon, Varejao, Parker, Hickson, Gibson, and a bunch of other scrubs.

On other teams:
Knicks have Gallinari, Chandler, Lee, Hill, TD, Jeffries(probably traded with nate or al)
Nets - Lopez, Harris, Lee, CDR, Twill, Yi
Bulls - Rose, Deng, Hinrich, Salmons, Gibson, Johnson, Noah

I think the Cavs talent level is not even close to what these teams offer. Imagine how much a pure shooter with height like Gallo will benefit from Lebron running the show? If he is putting up decent numbers 70 game sinto his career with Duhon he would e deadly with Lebron. Lee would still get his numbers because he gets them without affecting anyone. Hill would be by far the best prospect on that Cavs roster.
The Nets have a true center that will be a better version of Ilgauskas for years to come, Harris who is arguable better than mo williams and a bunch of young talent.
Bulls have one of the best young PGs in the game, Noah who is better than Varejao, and also plenty of young talent.
Cavs have..... NOTHING

IF lebron leaves this will be the end of the cavs for about a decade because noone will sign there and they will have to rebuild through the lottery.

Dpop07
02-09-2010, 05:15 PM
no doubt its a long, long shot but dallas is as likely to sign him as anyone else(beside the cavs). Cleveland would take back pieces vs letting him walk to a team that could sign him outright, right?

Gibby23
02-09-2010, 05:18 PM
no doubt its a long, long shot but dallas is as likely to sign him as anyone else(beside the cavs). Cleveland would take back pieces vs letting him walk to a team that could sign him outright, right?

If the Cavs were going to do a sign and trade, other teams have more to offer.

tMoNEy24
02-09-2010, 05:19 PM
Exactly ^^

Gibby23
02-09-2010, 05:20 PM
He has also made careers for players like Varejao and boobie gibson who would not make most NBA rosters without someone like Lebron helping them out.Shaq is done after this season, so is big Z. Their only other above average player is Mo Williams, the rest of that roster is below average and too old to have any potential to get better.
So next year you have Mo, Delonte, Moon, Varejao, Parker, Hickson, Gibson, and a bunch of other scrubs.

On other teams:
Knicks have Gallinari, Chandler, Lee, Hill, TD, Jeffries(probably traded with nate or al)

I think the Cavs talent level is not even close to what these teams offer. Imagine how much a pure shooter with height like Gallo will benefit from Lebron running the show? If he is putting up decent numbers 70 game sinto his career with Duhon he would e deadly with Lebron. Lee would still get his numbers because he gets them without affecting anyone. Hill would be by far the best prospect on that Cavs roster.
The Nets have a true center that will be a better version of Ilgauskas for years to come, Harris who is arguable better than mo williams and a bunch of young talent.
Bulls have one of the best young PGs in the game, Noah who is better than Varejao, and also plenty of young talent.
Cavs have..... NOTHING

IF lebron leaves this will be the end of the cavs for about a decade because noone will sign there and they will have to rebuild through the lottery.

Yes, he made careers for guys who are on a team that is about to win 60 plus games for the 2nd year in a row.

Dpop07
02-09-2010, 05:20 PM
They may but lebron has to sign off on any sign and trade...dallas at least offers mostly expirings that wouldn't require CLE to take on any bad contracts

bkmikeyy
02-09-2010, 05:26 PM
Yes, he made careers for guys who are on a team that is about to win 60 plus games for the 2nd year in a row.

Not impressed, he is going to go down as one of the most dominant players the NBA has ever seen. He could win 60 games with just about any team in the league. Fact is Lebronless Cavs are a 15 win team.

Gibby23
02-09-2010, 05:26 PM
They may but lebron has to sign off on any sign and trade...dallas at least offers mostly expirings that wouldn't require CLE to take on any bad contracts

Lebron is not going to be traded for expirings. If the Cavs lose Lebron, what good is cap space? Im not saying they are even thinking about trading him, but a team trading Lebron would want atleast 3 1st round draft picks, 1 all star , about 2 really good young players, and maybe more.

if they want cap space, they can let him walk and have cap space, instead of waiting a year for contracts to expire.

Jaji
02-09-2010, 05:27 PM
LeBron James is NOT from Cleveland. He is from Akron. 2 different cities.

PC
02-09-2010, 05:29 PM
Why would LeBron agree to a S&T? So he could completely destroy the roster of the team he goes to? He's probably going to get another max contract after his next one so that extra year the Cavs can offer him isn't really a huge deal. If LeBron signs with another team, he won't even bother with a S&T

tMoNEy24
02-09-2010, 05:29 PM
Well he's from OHIO and Cleveland is in Ohio so he likes being in Ohio. Same thing

tMoNEy24
02-09-2010, 05:30 PM
Why would LeBron agree to a S&T? So he could completely destroy the roster of the team he goes to? He's probably going to get another max contract after his next one so that extra year the Cavs can offer him isn't really a huge deal. If LeBron signs with another team, he won't even bother with a S&T

Exactly

Dpop07
02-09-2010, 05:30 PM
i'm not saying its likely or that its not a pipe dream for every mavs fan but those expiring deals include team options that can be voided immediately when the trade is completed. Lebron is not gonna go to any team that has to give up that much to get him...why would he go to a team that was just stripped of all its talent?

koreancabbage
02-09-2010, 05:35 PM
they have the best record in the NBA, with contender written all over it. they have a good supporting cast and bench.

If Lebron wins it all this year, i don't see how he doesn't stay. money, championship, in his home state, family. Cleveland is the place to be for him.

He'll do for Cleveland like Jordan did for Chicago.

if he gets to the NBA finals, 90% he stays. He's that close to an NBA championship with this team.

There is gonna be a lot of work for him and the new team- to get to elite status right off the bat is hard.

Ethix11
02-09-2010, 05:36 PM
The Heat only have Daquan Cook (3 pt specialist) and Michael Beasley under contract for only one more year for a combined 7 million. Wade would instantly resign if LeBron wanted to play there and there would be enough money to go around to fill their roster with Reymond Felton and Brendan Haywood if they choose that route while still being able to fill their worthy bench through bird rights with guys like Haslem, Chalmers, Wright & Anthony while adding 3rd stringers such as 2 first rounders, 2 2nd rounders and some overseas players developing from last years draft.
Im just saying thats another possible lure.. .:shrug:
Felton
Wade
James
Beasley
Haywood

PC
02-09-2010, 05:41 PM
The Heat only have Daquan Cook (3 pt specialist) and Michael Beasley under contract for only one more year for a combined 7 million. Wade would instantly resign if LeBron wanted to play there and there would be enough money to go around to fill their roster with Reymond Felton and Brendan Haywood if they choose that route while still being able to fill their worthy bench through bird rights with guys like Haslem, Chalmers, Wright & Anthony while adding 3rd stringers such as 2 first rounders, 2 2nd rounders and some overseas players developing from last years draft.
Im just saying thats another possible lure.. .:shrug:
Felton
Wade
James
Beasley
Haywood

If you re-sign Wade, the Heat only have enough for another max player, and possibly a little extra, but def not enough for Felton or Haywood, let alone both

Ethix11
02-09-2010, 05:55 PM
Ok lets see.. 2 max contracts equal 30 million. Plus 7 million for Cook & Beasley equal 37 million. The Cap is estimated at 54 million leaving 17 million left over. Haywood makes 6 million flat and it doesnt look like he will demand anymore than that. So 17 minus 6 equals 11 million left over. Felton makes 5.5 million and isnt really any better so at that amount substracted to 11 million would still leave 5.5 million left over to be used on draft picks. THEN bird rights come into play. Dont give into your teams tendancies to overpay players because it can have a rippling effect on its fans.

colinskik
02-09-2010, 06:11 PM
Ok lets see.. 2 max contracts equal 30 million. Plus 7 million for Cook & Beasley equal 37 million. The Cap is estimated at 54 million leaving 17 million left over. Haywood makes 6 million flat and it doesnt look like he will demand anymore than that. So 17 minus 6 equals 11 million left over. Felton makes 5.5 million and isnt really any better so at that amount substracted to 11 million would still leave 5.5 million left over to be used on draft picks. THEN bird rights come into play. Dont give into your teams tendancies to overpay players because it can have a rippling effect on its fans.
So that's a starting 5. What about the rest of the team?

CAVS21
02-09-2010, 06:19 PM
And they don't have a boatload of talent. I'll take Gallo/Chandler/Lee, Deng/Rose/Noah, and even Lopez/Harris/High draft pick over Cleveland's core outside of LeBron any day.[/QUOTE]

For real? what kind of playoff and winning experience do those guys offer? Or even having a clue how to win, or most importantly the chemistry he has with the guys in Cleveland cannot be purchased by an owner. He's won't leave....he could be a global icon in Alaska so why leave home? His boys are here, his mom's here, he could be and IMO will be the guy that brings Cleveland a championship. He can be marketed in LA and NYC regardless...oh wait he already is....and the talent, owner, and coaches here are light years better than in NYC or NJ

magichatnumber9
02-09-2010, 06:27 PM
Lebron stays in Cleveland. Get over it.

fadedmario
02-09-2010, 06:38 PM
Lebron stays in Cleveland. Get over it.

If you truly beleive that you are going to be disappointed. If he was going to sign he would have already done it. He is going to get a max deal no matter where he goes. There are around 10 teams with cap room next year. I hate New York as much as the next guy but that is where he is going. And for the few of you saying he wont be the man anywhere but Cleveland, your ridiculous. You can tell the Cleveland fans are trying to hold on to some pride. Face the facts, this is the last year you will be contenders for a long time. If Lebron is coming back to Cleveland, What is he waiting for?

JasonJohnHorn
02-09-2010, 07:00 PM
There are several reasons why i think LBJ will stay in Cleveland:
1: It is his hometown (everybody says it, but it must be stated).
2: He can get more money from Cleveland than anybody because they can sign him to a six-year deal in increases each season where as other teams can only sign him to five).
3: They are contenders.
4: They are willing to spend as much money as it takes to win.
5: They build around him and let him play the game he wants to play.

Cleveland has the upper hand for one and two, but there are other teams who are contenders, and there are other teams who are willing to spend whatever it takes to win, but the#5 is important I think because if LBJ were to go ring chasing in some place like LA for example, or with the Spurs or Celtics even, or even if he were to sign with New York and they, as they hope to, sign another big star like Wade, LBJ won't be able to play the game he seems to like to play so much. I have to imagine that as a competitor James is not only competing to win against his contemporaries in the NBA today, I have to think he is competing with history as well. I think he wants to be in the race for all time scoring leader, I think he wants to average a triple-double, and I think going anywhere other than Cleveland will hurt his chances to play in a that way. In LA he'd have to share with Kobe and credit would not be given to James the way it was given to Jordan for winning a title, or the way it has been given to Kobe. I think with the Spurs they have a style where multiple people share ball handling duties and set up plays, and in New York, they are hoping to bring in Wade as well (or Bosh at least).

I think Cleveland is the best fit for all the reason I've listed but perhaps most especially for reason #5.

Markg
02-09-2010, 07:04 PM
There are several reasons why i think LBJ will stay in Cleveland:
1: It is his hometown (everybody says it, but it must be stated).
2: He can get more money from Cleveland than anybody because they can sign him to a six-year deal in increases each season where as other teams can only sign him to five).
3: They are contenders.
4: They are willing to spend as much money as it takes to win.
5: They build around him and let him play the game he wants to play.

2 - If you add up endorsements, CLE cannot come close to matching other offers, like from NY.
3 - So is NY if they had him.
4 - So is NY if they had him.
5 - So would NY if they had him...

Once again..the ONLY reason to stay is 1: that its his hometown and he likes it there...

Gibby23
02-09-2010, 07:07 PM
2 - If you add up endorsements, CLE cannot come close to matching other offers, like from NY.
3 - So is NY if they had him.
4 - So is NY if they had him.
5 - So would NY if they had him...

Once again..the ONLY reason to stay is 1: that its his hometown and he likes it there...

And the fact that he knows what he has, and that is a top team in the NBA with the NBA's best record for the 2nd straight year.

avrpatsfan
02-09-2010, 07:08 PM

Thunder Possible Lineup
Westbrook
Harden
Lebron
Durant
Kristic

Really good but unlikely. With Lebron and a 2nd max contract the Knicks could be really good. They suck but Lebron is a missing piece of the puzzle

Tony_Starks
02-09-2010, 07:41 PM
I love how people say he has to go to a bigger market for endorsements. Yeah I mean its not like he has major deals already with Nike and McDonalds and we see his face on TV all the time or anything right?.......

Secondly why would he go to NY to play with their joke of a team? Their best player Lee won't even be there next year so you think he wants to play with the likes of Jeffries and Hill? Ok sure....

Thirdly Im not sure what games you guys watch but Cleveland has a damn good team, LBJ aside. Mo Williams was already good before he got to Cleveland, even an old Shaq is still better than most centers in the league and can draw double teams. Gibsons a dead eye shooter. Varejao is solid rebounder and good defender. Big Z's a solid backup. I can go down the line.

Cleveland is a contender and will be as long as he's there, they can pay him the most money, they've shown willingness to improve the team every year. He's not going to some garbage team to start all over again for a few extra commercials.

smith&wesson
02-09-2010, 07:42 PM
lebron took the cavs from being a sub par below 500 team to a contender.
it didnt happen over night but with moves here and there clevland has become really competative. now for lebron to start all over again on a team like new jersey it would mean that he didnt finish the job he started in clevland.

if lebron infact goes to a team like new york or new jersey it will take time for them to turn things around, by getting lebron the team doesnt instantly turn in to a contending team. You have to gel with players, coaches, find chemistry. Does lebron want to start all over again and MAYBE turn a new york or new jersey into a contender ? I say maybe because nothings for sure and anything can happen.. what if he goes to new york and dantoni's style dosnt fit him. What if he goes to new jersey and there isnt enough depth. Theres alot of what if's. Staying in clevland is a sure thing, they are contenders theres no question. He like's his coach ( i dont undrestand why because i dont like mike brown) but lebron does like mike brown and thats all that matters. He loves the guys he plays with, do you think he would be dancing and joking and laughing with them every chance he got if he didnt like them ??

imagine growing up as a kid dreaming to play in the big leagues one day. Now imagine being able to bring a ring to your own home town at least once in your career. Its one thing to win a ring, many greats never did. But winning that ring for your home town, your friends, family... it would actually mean somthing special.

new york has had many stars come and go, to name a few latrell sprewell, allen houston, eddy curry (was a start before taking a nose dive in new york) zach randolph (was great in portland, sucked it up in new york and is great again in memphis) steve francis was an outstanding player in houston and orlando before deteriating in new york,
the list goes on and on ...

whats the garantee that lebron goes there and the knicks become contenders ? there is none. its just a nice thought and thats about all it is. In reality Clevland is a contender and these other teams are just lottery teams that are dreaming and hoping for a saviour. Why lebron would want to be apart of organizations who constantly fail in the managment department is beyond me.

and last, there is the notion that great player... sorry let me rephrase that. the GREATEST players play and retire on one team. example ..bill russel, jordan, bird, magic, bryant, and maybe lebron ?

also clevland can match and out bid any offer another team can make to lebron. Thats an extra year of max money that other teams cant offer. I works out to about 30 million extra on his contract overall. forget about indorcements, do you guys really think lebron gets deprived of endourcments ?? i dont think soo and let me tell you why. before lebron james bounced an nba basket ball on an nba court he had a 100 000 000 $ deal with nike. if you think you have to play in new york to get exposure you simply dont have a clue. lebron is a world wide icon as it is.

im not a cavs fan and not for clevland so pls dont call me a homber... Im a raps fan.. im just stating the obviouse here.. lebron has it good in clevland and if he sells out it really wont look good for his image.

Vee-Rex
02-09-2010, 07:45 PM
LBJ won't let 'hometown' make his decision for him, and I'm from Cleveland saying this. So to everyone - hometown doesn't matter for him.

Also, money doesn't matter to him. No matter where he goes, he will get a max contract. He's filthy rich and I guarantee you winning is more important than more endorsements to him.

1. Legacy.
2. Winning.

Those are the two most important things to LBJ, he has basically said so himself in numerous interviews. It just so happens that he could never be the GOAT if he doesn't win, so numero uno needs numero dos.

I see Lebron staying in Cleveland right now. He runs the city. Braylon Edwards is traded because of him. You better believe that Cavaliers management asks him before making ANY roster changes. Jamison? Amare? None of it will take place unless Lebron gives the nod. Coach Mike Brown answers to Lebron.

The entire Cavaliers team is built around Lebron. He has shooters, cutters, and hustlers, that's it. It allows Cleveland to be an elite team while at the same time padding Lebron's stats since everyone else works off him. You can't just throw Lebron on any garbage team (NJ, NY) and expect them to become elite. Look at the record and roster of the Cavs 3-4 years ago (Lebron was still a monster) and you'll see why they suck. The players weren't suitable for him.

Lebron will never, ever go to Chicago. He'd forever play in Jordan's shadow. He'd never go to the Lakers since LA is Kobe's team.

And to the guy wondering why Lebron doesn't sign now... it's obvious. If you're a superstar and know almost every other team would love to have you, you always want to 'test the market' so that your own team will show just how much they want you. If Lebron never left any kind of threat of leaving then that'd be stupid.

smith&wesson
02-09-2010, 07:55 PM
I love how people say he has to go to a bigger market for endorsements. Yeah I mean its not like he has major deals already with Nike and McDonalds and we see his face on TV all the time or anything right?.......

Secondly why would he go to NY to play with their joke of a team? Their best player Lee won't even be there next year so you think he wants to play with the likes of Jeffries and Hill? Ok sure....

Thirdly Im not sure what games you guys watch but Cleveland has a damn good team, LBJ aside. Mo Williams was already good before he got to Cleveland, even an old Shaq is still better than most centers in the league and can draw double teams. Gibsons a dead eye shooter. Varejao is solid rebounder and good defender. Big Z's a solid backup. I can go down the line.

Cleveland is a contender and will be as long as he's there, they can pay him the most money, they've shown willingness to improve the team every year. He's not going to some garbage team to start all over again for a few extra commercials.

thats because they dont have a clue of what they are saying... its not theyre own opinions, its someone else that they read somewhere...

lebron had a hundred mill in indourcments before he played his first game in the nba. and that was with nike alone. god knows what he makes with all those other commercials....

i agree with your whole post. I think lebron stays in clevland.

perfusa2310
02-09-2010, 08:04 PM
Okay, I am a general fan of the NBA and have observed these boards for a year or so now. And it is unbelievable how everyone likes to talk up their team like lebron is reading these threads himself to try to convince him to come to their team. I do not have a favorite basketball team and just love the game. I do not care where lebron goes as long as he stays in the nba and doesnt go overseas, it just is annoying how some fans think they know lebrons best interests better than he does.
I have the tv option to watch every game and watch a lot of basketball. If any of you Knicks, Nets, or Bulls fans who think that LBJ might be going to your team, you must not watch many of the cavs games. This is the closest team in the NBA. On road trips, this team spends a lot of time together, the entire team goes out to dinner every night of the road trips. There is not a closer knit group of players in the nba. Lebron calls these players his family.
All this talk about him needing to go to a bigger market to get sponsorships is BS. I think he has sponsorships with nike, mcdonalds, microsoft, gatorade, and state farm insurance. Wow he really has to go to a big market to get big sponsorships huh? He has a multi million dollar house 20 minutes from the NICEST practice facility in the nba. Do I dare mention the chinese investors that are now minority owners of the cavs? They have said that there is more cavs merchandise in china now then any other team in the NBA. The cavs owner Dan Gilbert also is in the process of building 2 casinos in the city of cleveland, the man has money and is not afraid to spend it. HE will do anything to keep this team winning.
After watching all the NBA that I watch it is true that the cavs dont have as good of players as other teams in the NBA. but they have the best players that lebron needs. They dont need a point guard who needs to create and drive and distribute. They need someone who can hit open shots and create when lebron isnt on the floor. Lebron is the distributor. They dont need a power forward who dominates the game and clogs the lane. The cavs do not have a roster that matches the talent of other teams, but they have built this team near perfectly to expose the strengths of lebron.
Lastly, lebron loves the city he is in. Do you know anyone else who goes back to their high school to accept the MVP trophy and only invites his old teachers and principal along with the students?
I am nowhere near a cleveland fan, I just think they get put in a negative light by everyone who is so naive to think that a team like the cavs could put together a run to dominate this league for many years to come.

Vee-Rex
02-09-2010, 08:23 PM
Okay, I am a general fan of the NBA and have observed these boards for a year or so now. And it is unbelievable how everyone likes to talk up their team like lebron is reading these threads himself to try to convince him to come to their team. I do not have a favorite basketball team and just love the game. I do not care where lebron goes as long as he stays in the nba and doesnt go overseas, it just is annoying how some fans think they know lebrons best interests better than he does.
I have the tv option to watch every game and watch a lot of basketball. If any of you Knicks, Nets, or Bulls fans who think that LBJ might be going to your team, you must not watch many of the cavs games. This is the closest team in the NBA. On road trips, this team spends a lot of time together, the entire team goes out to dinner every night of the road trips. There is not a closer knit group of players in the nba. Lebron calls these players his family.
All this talk about him needing to go to a bigger market to get sponsorships is BS. I think he has sponsorships with nike, mcdonalds, microsoft, gatorade, and state farm insurance. Wow he really has to go to a big market to get big sponsorships huh? He has a multi million dollar house 20 minutes from the NICEST practice facility in the nba. Do I dare mention the chinese investors that are now minority owners of the cavs? They have said that there is more cavs merchandise in china now then any other team in the NBA. The cavs owner Dan Gilbert also is in the process of building 2 casinos in the city of cleveland, the man has money and is not afraid to spend it. HE will do anything to keep this team winning.
After watching all the NBA that I watch it is true that the cavs dont have as good of players as other teams in the NBA. but they have the best players that lebron needs. They dont need a point guard who needs to create and drive and distribute. They need someone who can hit open shots and create when lebron isnt on the floor. Lebron is the distributor. They dont need a power forward who dominates the game and clogs the lane. The cavs do not have a roster that matches the talent of other teams, but they have built this team near perfectly to expose the strengths of lebron.
Lastly, lebron loves the city he is in. Do you know anyone else who goes back to their high school to accept the MVP trophy and only invites his old teachers and principal along with the students?
I am nowhere near a cleveland fan, I just think they get put in a negative light by everyone who is so naive to think that a team like the cavs could put together a run to dominate this league for many years to come.

Best post in this entire thread and it sums up the Cavs very, very nicely.

Kakaroach
02-09-2010, 08:48 PM
The Cavs can offer him the most money to stay cuz of Bird Rights. Thats a pretty good reason.

koreancabbage
02-09-2010, 09:32 PM
The Cavs can offer him the most money to stay cuz of Bird Rights. Thats a pretty good reason.

and an extra year as well

td0tsfinest
02-09-2010, 09:37 PM
akron's his hometown but ohio is home state.

Financially, they got shaq's money coming of the books. So they'll be able to retain Lebron and get a star player alongside him. I also think that if he doesn't win a championship, then he's got unfinished business.

smith&wesson
02-09-2010, 09:47 PM

Thats a huge reason considering his last and only contract signing was for three years. he has yet to sign a max deal contract. Im pretty sure a player of lebrons caliber wants the most lucritive deal..

Ethix11
02-09-2010, 10:07 PM
akron's his hometown but ohio is home state.

Financially, they got shaq's money coming of the books. So they'll be able to retain Lebron and get a star player alongside him. I also think that if he doesn't win a championship, then he's got unfinished business.

Both Shaq and Big Z are coming off the books cutting 30 million and reducing the Cavs payroll to 50 million instead of 80. They will only have around 4 million of wiggle room and no Center. They cannot sign a star next year because they wont have the room. But the next year they will have room to sign a star assuming that they dont bring back Big Z who said he was retiring or Shaq who isnt going to take little money. So they will have to fill their Center position with someone weak and they wont win anything next year. Unless they bring back Shaq but that kills any chance of them getting a star because they wont have enough players on the roster to play plus Shaq would eat up some of their cap room as well.

Basically the team you see now, is the best team your going to see in Cleveland since they still have Big Z for depth and Shaq getting older and slower unless they make a blockbuster trade down the line somehow.

So that's a starting 5. What about the rest of the team?

THEN Bird rights come into play to pay existing Heat players over the cap and theres enough room to pay draft picks too.

Mane
02-09-2010, 10:12 PM
Hes going to the Wiz.

_KB24_
02-09-2010, 10:36 PM
Who cares. Whats the point of making threads like these in the middle of the season. Their the best team in the NBA right now, leave it at that. The guy will do whatever he wants. He is unpredictable. Move on.

kswissdaf
02-09-2010, 10:52 PM
60 % percent chance he stays 25% New york 15% Miami

fadedmario
02-09-2010, 10:59 PM
And the fact that he knows what he has, and that is a top team in the NBA with the NBA's best record for the 2nd straight year.

Until the playoffs (just like last year)

SJSharksfan3186
02-10-2010, 03:10 AM
He has no reason too other than escaping the media in a big city like New York. Cash rules everything around me (C.R.E.A.M.)

CAVS21
02-10-2010, 05:03 PM
He has also made careers for players like Varejao and boobie gibson who would not make most NBA rosters without someone like Lebron helping them out.
Shaq is done after this season, so is big Z. Their only other above average player is Mo Williams, the rest of that roster is below average and too old to have any potential to get better.

On other teams:

Bulls have one of the best young PGs in the game, Noah who is better than Varejao, and also plenty of young talent.Cavs have..... NOTHING

youre serious???????:facepalm:

CAVS21
02-10-2010, 05:07 PM

EXACTLY!!! why would he go to a team that he would have to build with again? it'll be his 8th year in the league so I'm positive he doesn't want to just start over.......what he has here is far better than any situation he could go to.....Chicago isn't an option because of the looming shadow of MJ and the fact that they wouldn't have any depth what so ever......GET OVER IT EVERYBODY HE STAYS

defender4m
02-10-2010, 05:29 PM
EXACTLY!!! why would he go to a team that he would have to build with again? it'll be his 8th year in the league so I'm positive he doesn't want to just start over.......what he has here is far better than any situation he could go to.....Chicago isn't an option because of the looming shadow of MJ and the fact that they wouldn't have any depth what so ever......GET OVER IT EVERYBODY HE STAYS

yea i think hes going to stay in cleveland. As much as id like him to come to the nets i dont think hes going anywhere at all. He has built up the city and team by himself. Hes close to all the players and the fans love him.
And i dont know how much more sponsorship he can get if he goes to NY because hes everywhere already. But maybe he comes to the Nets :D

Southsideheat
02-10-2010, 05:34 PM
I've heard Lebron is only concerned with championships at this point in his career. If that's the case, the Bulls are the clear choice.

Cavs_Fan24
02-10-2010, 05:51 PM
LeBron's a loyal guy. He's not going to leave the place that made him who he is for anywhere else. He's staying. Period.

tMoNEy24
02-10-2010, 06:00 PM
Look at the Greats, Close to most of them have stayed put. LBJ is staying.

tMoNEy24
02-10-2010, 06:01 PM
He'll "Test" the FA waters just to make the media go CRAZY and then he'll be back

fadedmario
02-11-2010, 12:35 AM
LeBron's a loyal guy. He's not going to leave the place that made him who he is for anywhere else. He's staying. Period.

Because a Cavs fan is saying it, it must be true :eyebrow:

tMoNEy24
02-11-2010, 01:14 AM
Doubtful ^^^ Who wants to bet LbJ is staying in CLE?

Southsideheat
02-11-2010, 11:36 AM
He's not going to leave the place that made him who he is for anywhere else.

I'm pretty sure Lebron made himself who he is and Cleveland is just lucky to have him. It sounds harsh but that's just the reality.

Raoul Duke_91
02-11-2010, 11:54 AM

whatever makes you sleep at night pal
even if he is a loyal guy....id still be sweatin bullets if i was a cavs fan until the day that deal is inked.

Raoul Duke_91
02-11-2010, 11:58 AM
if the time comes when lebron signs somewhere else........listen real closely and youll be able to hear the entire state of Ohio collectively $hitting their pants.

king4day
02-11-2010, 12:13 PM
If he gets a ring this year, I wonder if he'll feel like he's done a favor to the Cavs and the fans and can leave knowing they'll always be grateful that he brought a ring to town.

Raoul Duke_91
02-11-2010, 12:17 PM
If he gets a ring this year, I wonder if he'll feel like he's done a favor to the Cavs and the fans and can leave knowing they'll always be grateful that he brought a ring to town.

lol?
what kind of logic is that?! haha if hes all about winning championships and he wins one.......then hes gonna leave :eyebrow:

Tony_Starks
02-11-2010, 12:44 PM
Next season look for Lebron to get boo'd everytime his Cavs visit the Garden or New Jersey. Fans will be holding up signs like "You could've saved us!" and "We've waited 2 years for you, thanks alot LeJerk!"

fadedmario
02-11-2010, 12:44 PM
if the time comes when lebron signs somewhere else........listen real closely and youll be able to hear the entire state of Ohio collectively $hitting their pants.

:clap::clap::clap:

CAVS21
02-11-2010, 01:19 PM
Because a Cavs fan is saying it, it must be true :eyebrow:

and because a Detroit fan said it it must be stupid:facepalm:

Jaji
02-17-2010, 09:59 AM
Well he's from OHIO and Cleveland is in Ohio so he likes being in Ohio. Same thing

Thanks for informing us of what LeBron likes. Does he like hot sauce on his collard greens as well? You obviously like LA seeing as how you're from the Bay :rolleyes:. I happen to have many ties in Akron and LeBron has said his loyalty is to AKRON, not Cleveland. I've been to Akron a thousand times, Cleveland maybe 3. The 2 cities don't go hand in hand. They are 2 different cities about an hour apart. That's like me, being from Buffalo and playing pro sports in Rochester. Don't just assume I love Rochester. It's completely different city. Not the same thing.

mser58
02-17-2010, 10:12 AM
There is more too it, and maybe to Lebron being already one of the most beloved sports figures ever in that city he really appreciates Cleveland.

Tribe
02-17-2010, 10:21 AM
Being in first place and a #1 or #2 seed in the playoffs every year doesnt hurt either...having an owner willing to do ANYTHING to make him happy...being brought in to the discussion and having a voice on all moves the franchise makes...

Jaji
02-17-2010, 10:36 AM
Being in first place and a #1 or #2 seed in the playoffs every year doesnt hurt either...having an owner willing to do ANYTHING to make him happy...being brought in to the discussion and having a voice on all moves the franchise makes...

Yeah but I think that will happen pretty much anywhere he goes. Whoever he signs with will be a contender. And they will cater to him as well. That's LeBron, not Cleveland.

tjlipford
02-17-2010, 10:44 AM
Why would he leave? Every year we are one of the top teams and Ferry and Gilbert are some of the best GMs and owners in the NBA. It doesn't matter how good are team is without Lebron. It matters that they play tough defense and hit open shots with him. The Cavs can offer him the highest contract over anyone else.

As far as endorsements, he was the second highest paid player in the NBA last year behind Kobe. And that is before he gets that big contract. His endorsements won't stop if he played in Australia. Kobe made 45 million last year and LB made 40 million.

I keep saying this, the knicks are terrible. I'm 22 and ever since I been alive the best teams have been the Bulls, Rockets with Hakeem, Spurs, and LA. Everyone that plays the knicks light them new *******s. They play no D also.

If Bosh would go to NY it would be understandable but if Lebron does not sign back with Cleveland I don't see him playing in NY.

Y'all don't like it or want to admit it but LB and the Cavs are closer every year to winning a championship and if we acquire Amare then that would solidify to LB that the Cavs are serious about winning.

rhaas74
02-17-2010, 12:14 PM
Thanks for informing us of what LeBron likes. Does he like hot sauce on his collard greens as well? You obviously like LA seeing as how you're from the Bay :rolleyes:. I happen to have many ties in Akron and LeBron has said his loyalty is to AKRON, not Cleveland. I've been to Akron a thousand times, Cleveland maybe 3. The 2 cities don't go hand in hand. They are 2 different cities about an hour apart. That's like me, being from Buffalo and playing pro sports in Rochester. Don't just assume I love Rochester. It's completely different city. Not the same thing.

Its actually closer to 30-40 minutes. He built a gigantic house 15 minutes from where he went to high school, and yet that house is still a half hour away from Cleveland. So while they are two seperate cities, if you grow up in Akron you associate with Cleveland. Hell, I am even further south than Akron but I still consider myself from around Cleveland.

Jaji
02-18-2010, 03:38 AM
Its actually closer to 30-40 minutes. He built a gigantic house 15 minutes from where he went to high school, and yet that house is still a half hour away from Cleveland. So while they are two seperate cities, if you grow up in Akron you associate with Cleveland. Hell, I am even further south than Akron but I still consider myself from around Cleveland.

Okay well that's different from anyone I've ever known. I have a lot of cousins in Akron and have spent much time there including some whole summers growing up. Cleveland was always an afterthought, may as well have been Columbus or Los Angeles even. I've been to Akron a thousand times. I can count the number of times I've been to Cleveland on my hand. They are close, but close doesn't mean the same. Cleveland is not his hometown. Akron is. And from talking to people who have ties to LeBron (Akron really isn't that big), the feeling is that his loyalty is to Akron, not Cleveland. It's a direct quote from LeBron, himself, as I understand it, although I never actually heard the words come out of his mouth.