PDA

View Full Version : What team out East would be the team most likely to upset the Cavs in the playoffs?

JordansBulls
02-09-2010, 01:02 PM
Cleveland 41 11 .788
Orlando 35 17 .673 6
Boston 32 17 .653 7
Atlanta 32 17 .653 7
Toronto 28 23 .549 12
Chicago 24 25 .490 15
Charlotte 24 25 .490 15
Miami 24 27 .471 16

Orlando
Boston
Atlanta
Toronto
Chicago
Charlotte
Miami

ManRam
02-09-2010, 01:12 PM
Probably Orlando. We got them last year, and although they evened up the mismatches a bit with Shaq and with our loss of Hedo, I think we are a good enough team defensively to not let many games get out of hand, and good enough offensively to out score them at times. I do think Cleveland is the clear favorite, but I think we can get them again in a 7 game series...it just wont be nearly as easy.

Cleveland owns Atlanta. Boston isn't looking scary right now. The rest of the teams have no shot. It's gonna be either Orlando or Cleveland in the Finals.

Ruggy
02-09-2010, 01:18 PM
Orlando has the best shot and I'm not sure it would be that big of an "upset" if it happened. Charlotte could be a scary matchup.

Raph12
02-09-2010, 01:20 PM
Orlando and Cleveland are both playing great ball right now, wouldn't be surprised with either of them coming out of the East... anyone else would be an upset.

ManRam
02-09-2010, 01:24 PM
I actually think Charlotte is the most likely of any of the not top 4 teams to pull off the upset. They've beaten the Cavs twice since Stephen came along. Their defense is just as good as anyone else's in the league...and if Crash and Jackson get hot, they can score some points. They're pretty solid defensively up front too...a lot of hustle, much like the Cavs have up front.

Cool007
02-09-2010, 01:36 PM
New Jersey Nets

Kakaroach
02-09-2010, 01:39 PM
For sure Orlando and Atlanta. Boston if they get healthy.

FairWeatherFan?
02-09-2010, 01:41 PM
Bobcats.....perhaps the only team in the league with more "hustle" than the cavs.

Vee-Rex
02-09-2010, 01:48 PM
I'm from Cleveland and I will say that Charlotte would be an upset and we struggle against them.

I don't think Boston can beat us. Orlando can beat us but I think we are better this year and would beat them in a 7 game series.

Everyone that says Atlanta obviously don't watch us play them much. We usually run them over. Atlanta can't beat Cleveland and they always get spanked by Orlando so they really stand no chance in reaching the finals.

TheKing23
02-09-2010, 01:59 PM
Who voted for Chicago? :facepalm:

I would most like to avoid the Bobcats... I think they could trouble us more than any other team outside of the top three.

Wilson
02-09-2010, 02:02 PM
Could you really call Orlando beating them an 'upset'? They're not even a full season removed from the last time they did it...

Boston could do it if they're healthy in time.

Atlanta would have a pretty good shot in my opinion. They have a strong center in Al Horford, a guy who won't necessarily shut down LeBron but can have some success against him in Josh Smith, and a pretty good backcourt.

Cool007
02-09-2010, 02:05 PM
Who voted for Chicago? :facepalm:

I would most like to avoid the Bobcats... I think they could trouble us more than any other team outside of the top three.

I don't know who voted for Chicago but don't dismiss them by showing your facepalm. Bulls are not that bad like you want to believe and if Bulls make a trade (Amare/Boozer or something) then it's not really that far fetched that Bulls have as a good a chance as other teams.

Cowboys123456
02-09-2010, 02:17 PM
Toronto!!!

They beat them in game one and they will do so in the playoffs!!

jer3miah
02-09-2010, 02:29 PM
Orlando is gonna beat them. And it isn't going to be an upset. Yea, Cleveland got Shaq, but that isn't gonna make a difference. Rashard Lewis is Clevelands nightmare and they still don't have an answer for him! Magic bench is far better too.

knickerbockerny
02-09-2010, 02:33 PM
Charlotte matches up best against the Cavs. And honestly the Bobcats are one trade away from making a deep run in the playoffs this year.

TheWatcher34
02-09-2010, 02:36 PM
Chicago?? i wonder...

shep33
02-09-2010, 02:40 PM
I think the Celtics or Magic. I also think Boston picks it up after the break, and if they make a trade or not, I think the rest is gonna really help Garnett and Pierce. I just think they matchup the best against the Cavs defensively. I know they're old and what not, but if they make it to the ECF they definitely have a shot. Orlando can beat them too, cause they can put up points. Shaq can't get in foul trouble or else its over, cause we all know how D12 basically got whatever he wanted against Big Z and Varajao, then if they double Orlando is just gonna knock down 3 after 3. I think Cleveland is great, but they were kind of the same last year weren't they? Moe Williams, Parker, Delonte, and Shaq have to play consistently for them to win the ECF.

shep33
02-09-2010, 02:45 PM
Chicago?? i wonder...

I actually think this is a super dangerous matchup for the Cavs. Chicago is playing a lot better since Christmas and Rose is on a tear. Right now Chicago would play Boston, and actually have a shot to beat them.

CAVS21
02-09-2010, 02:45 PM
Toronto!!!

They beat them in game one and they will do so in the playoffs!!

no chance:facepalm:

Legitimate
02-09-2010, 02:46 PM
none homer pick i have to say toronto..we already beat them..also..we have too many mobile big man,basically when we run our offense through our bigman we are a match up night mare forteams like Cleveland. No way shaq or zydrunas can stop bargs and bosh. also..we have a few not too bad of atheletic wing defenders to puton lebron all game long (wright,weems,dd).

Valleyfella
02-09-2010, 02:49 PM
Toronto. They have the third best record in the NBA since early December. If Turkoglu and Calderon can elevate their game just a fraction more, they could pull an upset. They've got depth and are gelling. I wouldn't favor them over the Cavs, of course, but they could give them a series.

IversonIsKrazy
02-09-2010, 02:49 PM
Magic for sure, while Chicago would put up a fight.

CAVS21
02-09-2010, 02:52 PM
Orlando is gonna beat them. And it isn't going to be an upset. Yea, Cleveland got Shaq, but that isn't gonna make a difference. Rashard Lewis is Clevelands nightmare and they still don't have an answer for him! Magic bench is far better too.

Not so fast my friend...you're right that it isn't an upset at all and other than Orlando if the Cavs lose to anybody else in the East it'd be an upset....Boston's too old....we own ATL....Chicago, Toronto, Miami=hahahahahah no way......now for Charlotte, they are the team that scares Cavs fans the most because of the way they've played us this year and how they play such great defense and like someone has already said they are the second best hustle team behind Cleveland.

Now for Orlando, their bench is NOT better than ours, in fact it's not even close. I've said it before and I'm gonna say it again....trading HEDO and LEE and getting VC will ultimately hurt them against us in the playoffs.

ManRam
02-09-2010, 02:52 PM
I still don't think Toronto plays good enough defense to win a 7 game series...

They can squeak out a win or two or three...but in the playoffs you need defense to keep you in every game. They just don't. Who stops LeBron? Who stops him when he gets in the paint? The Cavs will out hustle the hell out of the Raptors too. I give the Raptors a 5% chance at an upset.

JnasD
02-09-2010, 02:53 PM
Magic

CAVS21
02-09-2010, 02:54 PM
none homer pick i have to say toronto..we already beat them..also..we have too many mobile big man,basically when we run our offense through our bigman we are a match up night mare forteams like Cleveland. No way shaq or zydrunas can stop bargs and bosh. also..we have a few not too bad of atheletic wing defenders to puton lebron all game long (wright,weems,dd).

and you think they'll stop LeBron? you must be nuts..and Toronto is not good enough.....Orlando or Charlotte that's it

ManRam
02-09-2010, 02:55 PM
Not so fast my friend...you're right that it isn't an upset at all and other than Orlando if the Cavs lose to anybody else in the East it'd be an upset....Boston's too old....we own ATL....Chicago, Toronto, Miami=hahahahahah no way......now for Charlotte, they are the team that scares Cavs fans the most because of the way they've played us this year and how they play such great defense and like someone has already said they are the second best hustle team behind Cleveland.

Now for Orlando, their bench is NOT better than ours, in fact it's not even close. I've said it before and I'm gonna say it again....trading HEDO and LEE and getting VC will ultimately hurt them against us in the playoffs.

All I'm argue with you is about the bench. I think 90% of fans (who wont say their own team) will say that the Magic bench is better, and probably the best in the league. You also can't look at it like Hedo and Lee for VC. We got Anderson, we got Barnes, we got Bass, we got Williams...

We are much deeper than last year, by a mile. The Vince thing has yet to be settled, but if he gets it going, we are without a doubt much better than we were last year.

CAVS21
02-09-2010, 03:00 PM
All I'm argue with you is about the bench. I think 90% of fans (who wont say their own team) will say that the Magic bench is better, and probably the best in the league. You also can't look at it like Hedo and Lee for VC. We got Anderson, we got Barnes, we got Bass, we got Williams...

We are much deeper than last year, by a mile. The Vince thing has yet to be settled, but if he gets it going, we are without a doubt much better than we were last year.

Ok, You're right you did get those guys but at the same time I think without being a homer that Cleveland's bench is better BUT not by much and i refuse to dog on the Magic because of what happened last year...and the East is a two horse race...Orlando and Cleveland, can't wait to see the rematch

JordansBulls
02-09-2010, 03:07 PM
Could you really call Orlando beating them an 'upset'? They're not even a full season removed from the last time they did it...

Boston could do it if they're healthy in time.

Atlanta would have a pretty good shot in my opinion. They have a strong center in Al Horford, a guy who won't necessarily shut down LeBron but can have some success against him in Josh Smith, and a pretty good backcourt.

Yes it is an upset considering the Cavs were picked to be the team to beat in the east before the season and they most likely will get the best record again this season.

JordansBulls
02-09-2010, 03:07 PM
No love for Boston or Chicago?

I think Chicago would get them. We have the guy that frustrates Lebron the most in this league in Deng and also the Cavs have never beaten us in a series. Also Noah is upset from when Lebron the Cavs were dancing during the game

Macedonian
02-09-2010, 03:09 PM
I still don't think Toronto plays good enough defense to win a 7 game series...
I still think Toronto plays good enough offense to upset the Cavs...
16 consetutive 100+ games (and count)!

ManRam
02-09-2010, 03:09 PM

I think Chicago would get them. We have the guy that frustrates Lebron the most in this league in Deng and also the Cavs have never beaten us in a series. Also Noah is upset from when Lebron the Cavs were dancing during the game

Michael Jordan doesn't play for the Bulls any more. That fact is 100% irrelevant.

Swashcuff
02-09-2010, 03:29 PM
I wont neccesarily call Orlando and Boston upsets. Bobcats thought if hot in 7 with Tyson Chandler back (Maybe off the bench cuz the starting 5 are jelling) could give the Cavs a run for their money.

Double_R
02-09-2010, 03:32 PM
It's not an upset if Boston or Orlando beats Cleveland, they are part of the big 3 in the east, no offense Hawks fans.

bigsams50
02-09-2010, 03:43 PM
IMHO i think the Bobcats would have a good shot. We've played them well this year and we match up well.

alencp3
02-09-2010, 04:31 PM
Bosh and his company.

pebloemer
02-09-2010, 04:32 PM
I would say Boston, Orlando and Atlanta are the easy choices as they are all elite teams. Surprised that more people are saying Charlotte and Toronto over Atlanta and Boston. That being said my vote was for Charlotte because I like the riskier choices. A healthy Boston and determined Atlanta could still cause fits for the Cavs.

The wild card choices I do think are 1. Charlotte (strong defensively, enough talent) and 2. Toronto (versatility with big men, mismatch potential), but the more likely choices would be 1. Orlando, 2. Boston (experience, toughness), and 3. Atlanta.

JordansBulls
02-09-2010, 04:44 PM
Michael Jordan doesn't play for the Bulls any more. That fact is 100% irrelevant.

How does that apply?

ManRam
02-09-2010, 04:48 PM
How does that apply?

I don't get how "the Cavs have never beat us in a series" applies. Who cares about what teams 15+ years ago did verse each other? It means nothing.

Gibby23
02-09-2010, 04:48 PM

We are not talking about the 90's.

SensandRaps
02-09-2010, 04:54 PM

wait jordan is making another comeback with the bulls...

clutchski
02-09-2010, 04:55 PM
As a Raps fan I don't understand how 12 people voted for us..we are NOT going to beat Lebron and Shaq in a 7 game series. No way.

If anyone has a chance I think it's Orlando, ATL or Charlotte.

KnicksorBust
02-09-2010, 04:55 PM
Bobcats are a fun pick. I'd love to see that as the #1 vs. #8. LeBron will get the MVP we can have deja vu of Stephen Jackson shutting down MVP Dirk Nowitzki.

Gibby23
02-09-2010, 04:59 PM
Bobcats are a fun pick. I'd love to see that as the #1 vs. #8. LeBron will get the MVP we can have deja vu of Stephen Jackson shutting down MVP Dirk Nowitzki.

But Lebron can't really be "shut down" because he doesn't rely on his jumpshot as much as Dirk does.

koreancabbage
02-09-2010, 05:40 PM
Orlando

in a 7 game series, i don't see how the anyone could match up with them other than Orlando

dtmagnet
02-09-2010, 06:05 PM
Arlanta/Orlando.

CAVS21
02-09-2010, 06:29 PM
I still think Toronto plays good enough offense to upset the Cavs...
16 consetutive 100+ games (and count)!

You're serious? Maybe they've played the Cavs well so far in the REGULAR SEASON but our D will be too much let alone LBJ tearing them a new one in a 7 game series that won't even go 6

Gibby23
02-09-2010, 06:47 PM
You're serious? Maybe they've played the Cavs well so far in the REGULAR SEASON but our D will be too much let alone LBJ tearing them a new one in a 7 game series that won't even go 6

You bold regular season to make it seem like the Cavs have done something in the postseason.

ManRam
02-09-2010, 06:49 PM
You bold regular season to make it seem like the Cavs have done something in the postseason.

They've done more than 95% of the teams in the league the last 3-5 years in the playoffs.

And did any non-Raptors fans vote for Toronto, just out of curiosity?

Gibby23
02-09-2010, 06:52 PM
They've done more than 95% of the teams in the league the last 3-5 years in the playoffs.

And did any non-Raptors fans vote for Toronto, just out of curiosity?

I did! J/K

The 2 teams that can give them trouble are the Magic and the Celtics but I wouldn't call those upsets. If the Hawks beat them, I would call it an upset.

Shammyguy3
02-09-2010, 06:59 PM
The Magic, Celtics (if healthy), and Hawks would not be upsets.
Miami has no shot because it's a one man team.
Toronto does not play all that physical, so i dont think they'd beat them.
Charlotte matches up really well against them, and they have the best coach in the game.
Chicago also matches up really well against them.

If i had to choose, i'd pick Chicago or Charlotte.

ManRam
02-09-2010, 07:02 PM
The Hawks would definitely, without a shadow of doubt, be an upset. The Cavs have flat out dominated them.

Orlando and Boston would be an upset too. The Cavs have the best record in the league. They are the best team in the league right now. Orlando and Boston would be underdogs, thus, it's an upset if they win.

Raph12
02-09-2010, 09:48 PM
Orlando and Charlotte are the most likely to beat them in 7 games, Boston if healthy would be next on the list.

I look forward to watching an ECFs rematch and possibly a Finals rematch as well.

Emphatiic
02-09-2010, 10:19 PM
i'm so tired of these got damn toranto fan's on PSD thinking that they're title contenders

jim51990
02-09-2010, 10:32 PM
themselves i honestly only believe they will lose if they kill them selves and make bron do every thing

Wray77
02-09-2010, 10:33 PM
Toranto Ropters! If they jump shoots are failing. Die by the jump shoot life by the jump shoot.

CAVS21
02-10-2010, 03:29 AM
chicago. rose absolutely wrecked the celtics last year. he could do it to the cavs.

lmfao:crazy:

CAVS21
02-10-2010, 03:32 AM

Compared to Toronto? Obviously the Cavs have done more than them in the postseason and that'd be the team I'm talking about.....let's see then....they've done more than ATL Chicago Orlando(because it was 1 deep run and the Cavs have had several) and pretty much Miami's entire roster minus Wade, Charlotte hasn't done anything either...Boston's the only team in the East that's done more.

C-Van
02-10-2010, 03:32 AM
chicago. rose absolutely wrecked the celtics last year. he could do it to the cavs.

...but they didn't beat the Celtics...

dominater6192
02-10-2010, 03:39 AM

Yeah but you have to be able to play defense to beat the Lebrons.

ee
02-10-2010, 04:14 AM
i wouldn't call losing against the celtics and orlando an upset.....they've beaten them before....

heathonater
02-10-2010, 06:30 AM
probably orlando. dwight howard is still a match up problem, even though shaq will offer tougher resistance than big z last year. the cavs also have to account for rashard lewis, because the cavs couldn't stop him and was a major reason why they lost last year. atlanta is also a problem due to their athleticism.

DaaBoTownSox
02-10-2010, 06:56 AM
I picked Boston, because when healthy, I think the Celtics are the 2nd best team.

But, after them, I believe it's Atlanta. I'm surprised only 8 people have voted for them...

Raps18-19 Champ
02-10-2010, 08:14 AM
Orlando, Atlanta or Boston winning wouldn't be an upset.

todu82
02-10-2010, 08:58 AM
Orlando. They beat them last year and this year they've improved quite a bit.

loveofthegame87
02-10-2010, 09:03 AM
Orlando and Boston wouldn't be consider an upset. Atlanta probably shouldn't be consider an upset, but they are the team to do so. Atlanta or any other team below them would be an upset.

johnwayne
02-10-2010, 09:28 AM

yea ok the series is 1-1....how is that owning us?

jsumadchat
02-10-2010, 02:33 PM
the only teams involved in this thread should be the raps, heat, bulls, and cats. i feel like the raps would have the best chance at an upset because of the matchup problems our bigs present. however, shotty defense and lebron taking over could be too much to overcome. i doubt any of the afforementioned teams upset the cavs.

JordansBulls
02-10-2010, 05:23 PM
i wouldn't call losing against the celtics and orlando an upset.....they've beaten them before....

IF the Cavs have the best record in the conference and/or league and they lose in the playoffs it is an upset.

rhaas74
02-10-2010, 05:30 PM
probably orlando. dwight howard is still a match up problem, even though shaq will offer tougher resistance than big z last year. the cavs also have to account for rashard lewis, because the cavs couldn't stop him and was a major reason why they lost last year. atlanta is also a problem due to their athleticism.

We have the size and athleticism to defend Lewis now, and Hedo is no longer there. They can put LeBron, Moon, Jawad on him. The Cavs can also go into their "small" lineup and have Mo, Parker, Moon/Jawad, LeBron, and Shaq on the court. So, even if Hedo were there we would still have the length to defend him.

JordansBulls
02-10-2010, 08:05 PM
We have the size and athleticism to defend Lewis now, and Hedo is no longer there. They can put LeBron, Moon, Jawad on him. The Cavs can also go into their "small" lineup and have Mo, Parker, Moon/Jawad, LeBron, and Shaq on the court. So, even if Hedo were there we would still have the length to defend him.

They have Vince this year though.

JordansBulls
02-12-2010, 11:53 AM
Looks like the Cavs are ready for Orlando now. But then again they did beat them last year in Cleveland during the season.

Raph12
02-12-2010, 12:33 PM
Looks like the Cavs are ready for Orlando now. But then again they did beat them last year in Cleveland during the season.

They were on the second of a back-to-back, fourth game in five nights and each game in a different city. Taking that into consideration, they went up on Dwight's running hook 96-94, with 7:31 to go. Dwight touched the ball only once after, Nelson missed two open layups and committed two silly turnovers, Carter couldn't get anything to go down and they couldn't stop the Cavs hot shooting. SVG admitted that he cost them the game when he pulled Dwight in the third (they were up 5pts [75-70] with momentum) and when he didn't go to him late.

I think if they meet in the playoffs, it will be a great, competitive 6/7-game series and the victor will be the team that wants it more, which at this point, is obviously the Cavs.

rhaas74
02-12-2010, 03:52 PM
They have Vince this year though.

But Vince does not offer them a size mismatch. We have taller, more athletic wings. And the Cavs went about it the right way. Instead of getting someone for their offense, they brought in some guys more for their defense. Parker and Moon bring that long, athletic wingman with a defenders mentality. I mean of course they aren't the best, but they are an upgrade and they aren't taking the ball out of LeBron's hands.

AK-50
02-12-2010, 04:01 PM
I picked Boston, because when healthy, I think the Celtics are the 2nd best team.

But, after them, I believe it's Atlanta. I'm surprised only 8 people have voted for them...

no you picked boston because its a homer pick dont lie to everyone like that

AK-50
02-12-2010, 04:02 PM
the Bobcats can probably upset the cavs even the hawks

Public Enemy #1
02-12-2010, 04:15 PM
The Celtics (if healthy), Magic, Bobcats... The Cavaliers are so overrated. They can beat anybody in the regular season but when it comes to the playoffs, the scrubs aka Mo Williams, West, Ilgauskus, Gibson, Andy, etc don't help LBJ at all and he ends up doing everything. The Cavaliers don't have a great team, they have a great player. They will go as far as Lebron can carry them.

Jahari Kavi
02-12-2010, 04:22 PM
i would say boston...shaq keeps dwight in check....magic didn't get better over the summer....cavs did

Chronz
02-12-2010, 04:26 PM
Any team that can get enough stops, I like Charlotte if Tyson returns to form, and if Diaw can get his game back on track.

CAVS21
02-12-2010, 04:34 PM
The Celtics (if healthy), Magic, Bobcats... The Cavaliers are so overrated. They can beat anybody in the regular season but when it comes to the playoffs, the scrubs aka Mo Williams, West, Ilgauskus, Gibson, Andy, etc don't help LBJ at all and he ends up doing everything. The Cavaliers don't have a great team, they have a great player. They will go as far as Lebron can carry them.

Dumbest thing I've seen in a while

lakerboy
02-12-2010, 05:28 PM
It's funny how Cavs fans talk about how tough their team now is, with Shaq and Varejao and Moon and Delonte and Mo and Hickson.

Well, it's that time of the year (January) when this team plays so well.

But once they are bounced from the playoffs they start trashing their own players again.

"Oh, LBJ's supporting cast sucks."