PDA

View Full Version : Bust Out Star

Swashcuff
02-09-2010, 10:47 AM
Who are the guys in the NBA with All Star potential who a just on the outside looking in and just waiting for the chance to BUST OUT and become a real star player. Guys who are relegated to bench duty or a limited role because of who they play with or behind. Obvious answers are Paul Millsap and Carl Landry.

I personally like Anthony Morrow’s game and I think he is underappreciated because of the system in which he plays in in GS. Maurecce Speights is also another guy that comes to mind he has tremendous upside but playing behind Dalembert and Brand and Eddie Jordan brilliance in managing his rotations has really kept his progression to a minimum. Jaryed Bayless is another possibility. Oh and as far as this year’s rookie class goes…..

Ty Lawson, Darren Collison (he’s getting the time now and making the most of it), DeJuan Blair and James Harden all good choices. Before the season began I thought for certain Thabeet would have been in this convo.

mp3
02-09-2010, 11:04 AM
jerryd bayless

footballer2369
02-09-2010, 11:09 AM
i think you may have listed the top 5 or 6 young players with the LEAST upside, excepting Speights.

Slimsim
02-09-2010, 11:30 AM
Thaddeus Young
Wilson Chandler
Mayo
Gay
Love

RadiantShot
02-09-2010, 11:36 AM
I'd put J.J. Redick in that category to be honest.
O.J. Mayo is a good one.
We've seen Brooks do it already.
Omri Casspi might not become a bust-out player, but he could be a good, reliable player.
Oh, wow, and Definitely Darren Collison, can't believe I didn't think of him till' now.
Eric Gordon. Most of the rookies are in this category, because they haven't proved everything yet, but we can pretty much tell who's going to come up big soon.

sep11ie
02-09-2010, 11:36 AM
Thaddeus Young
Wilson Chandler
Mayo
Gay
Love

Lol, Gay love

Swashcuff
02-09-2010, 02:35 PM
i think you may have listed the top 5 or 6 young players with the LEAST upside, excepting Speights.

Ok thank you very much for your lack of basketball knowledge

Swashcuff
02-09-2010, 02:39 PM
I'd put J.J. Redick in that category to be honest.
O.J. Mayo is a good one.
We've seen Brooks do it already.
Omri Casspi might not become a bust-out player, but he could be a good, reliable player.
Oh, wow, and Definitely Darren Collison, can't believe I didn't think of him till' now.
Eric Gordon. Most of the rookies are in this category, because they haven't proved everything yet, but we can pretty much tell who's going to come up big soon.

I put those rooks in because I believe that if given the oppurtunity to start lets by next season in a couple years the can be all star calibre.

I think people misunderstand. When I say BUST out i mean someone who can not only become MIP but someone who is a certain 1-2 player for their team (who ever it may be at that time). Maybe not now but 2,3,4 years down the road. I think of Michael Redd playing behind Ray All some years ago as the perfect example of this.

TheCardiacKids
02-09-2010, 02:49 PM
Javale Mcgee

eugene
02-09-2010, 03:13 PM
Beasley?

-Kobe24-TJ19-
02-09-2010, 03:43 PM
Lol, Gay love

haha hidden message

Baller1
02-09-2010, 03:43 PM
Westbrook!

Hellcrooner
02-09-2010, 03:59 PM
Oj Mayo and MArc Gasol from Grizzlies they could be putting up 25 ppg each if it was not for Gay and Randolph Hogging the ball.

Darren Collison he has C Paul on him thats a hughe weight to overcome.

Rudy Fernandez, Being behind Roy and having so many competition, Abtum , bayless, outlow, webester and an STUPID coach is killing his career he could be Manu part II

Paul Millsap, once they get rid of Boozer he will blossom finally.

Omri Casspi, Martin takes too many shots that he could use.

Speights could probably blossom.

Thad Young is being held by iggy, no wonder they want to trade him.

tMoNEy24
02-09-2010, 04:01 PM
Donte Greene

ATX
02-09-2010, 04:09 PM
Lol, Gay love

Gay Love Mayo, lol

1-800-STFU
02-09-2010, 04:14 PM
Westbrook!

....has been awful so far this year, barely shooting 40%

Carey
02-09-2010, 04:40 PM
westbrook!

+1

JeffG20
02-09-2010, 05:10 PM
Marcus Thornton has the potential

C-Van
02-09-2010, 05:44 PM
I am going to make my all "breakout" team.

PG- Kyle Lowry- In limited playing time he gets about 8ppg 4rpg and 5apg. He is a solid backup at this point, and does get about 25 minutes a night, but he really could be a good distrubitor for a team right now at starting point. And he is a GREAT rebounder for his size.

SG- Arron Afflalo- I know he starts for Detroit, but he only gets about 7 shots per game, and only about 25 minutes. He is hitting 45% of his threes and 48% of his shots. Could really eventually be a third option for a team in the near future in my eyes. He also an awesome effiency rating of +12.15.

SF- Anthony Randolph- In just 22 minutes a game he is averaging 12 points, 6.5 rebounds, 0.8 steals, and 1.6 blocks! Differences between him and and Don Nelson have kept him from playing, but he could really be a big time star within the next 2 or 3 years, if a coach is willing to give him the minutes.

PF- Brandon Bass- Went from getting attention as a potential starting big man for a team and getting about 19 minutes per game with the Mavs. Gets picked up by the Magic adn now only gets 13 minutes, yet is shooting the ball at a career high percentage. And he is a solid offensive rebounder.

C- DeAndre Jordan- He is shooting down at a whopping 64%, and is grabbing 3.5 boards and blocking 0.6 shots in just 12 minutes per game. He really needs to cut down on his turnovers as he is managing to average a whole turnover per game in his limited playing time, but he is probably a few good post moves away from being able to average 17ppg, 12 rpg, and 2.5bpg in a starters minutes.

Sleeper- Javale McGee is averaging over a block per game in just 8 minutes per game! If he got an average starter's minutes he could feasibly average 4.5 blocks per game!

koreancabbage
02-09-2010, 05:57 PM
Bargnani, has to be one of the most gifted offensive players out there. not being a homer but the guy averages 18 points a game without any plays run for him.

He can EASILY get 25+ points each night, seriously. The guy is a bonafide scorer and can shoot from anywhere on the court. If he EVER gets consistent and plays ran for him, easily a top 10 scorer in the league, watch a couple of Raptors games. He's pretty talented. offensively, he's got more range than Bosh. and yes, you can knock against his rebounding stats all you want, but he's a talented offensive player, especially for a big man, which is more rare in this league.

alexander_37
02-09-2010, 05:59 PM

PG- Kyle Lowry- In limited playing time he gets about 8ppg 4rpg and 5apg. He is a solid backup at this point, and does get about 25 minutes a night, but he really could be a good distrubitor for a team right now at starting point. And he is a GREAT rebounder for his size.

SG- Arron Afflalo- I know he starts for Detroit, but he only gets about 7 shots per game, and only about 25 minutes. He is hitting 45% of his threes and 48% of his shots. Could really eventually be a third option for a team in the near future in my eyes. He also an awesome effiency rating of +12.15.

SF- Anthony Randolph- In just 22 minutes a game he is averaging 12 points, 6.5 rebounds, 0.8 steals, and 1.6 blocks! Differences between him and and Don Nelson have kept him from playing, but he could really be a big time star within the next 2 or 3 years, if a coach is willing to give him the minutes.

PF- Carl Landry - Beast, 2nd in 4th quarter scoring next to Lebron last time I heard and that was like last week, so ya considering last year he got shot in the leg that's pretty good.

C- DeAndre Jordan- He is shooting down at a whopping 64%, and is grabbing 3.5 boards and blocking 0.6 shots in just 12 minutes per game. He really needs to cut down on his turnovers as he is managing to average a whole turnover per game in his limited playing time, but he is probably a few good post moves away from being able to average 17ppg, 12 rpg, and 2.5bpg in a starters minutes.

Sleeper- Javale McGee is averaging over a block per game in just 8 minutes per game! If he got an average starter's minutes he could feasibly average 4.5 blocks per game!

One change :)

Baller1
02-09-2010, 06:31 PM

Yeah, that's terrible. But if he's gonna put up 20 points, 10 assists, 7 rebounds, and 3-4 steals (average of past 3 games), then I'll live with the 40% shooting from a second year PG.

Swashcuff
02-09-2010, 06:43 PM

PF- Brandon Bass- Went from getting attention as a potential starting big man for a team and getting about 19 minutes per game with the Mavs. Gets picked up by the Magic adn now only gets 13 minutes, yet is shooting the ball at a career high percentage. And he is a solid offensive rebounder.

This is good. I think I am going to make one as well. Was waiting to hear DeAndre's name too. Oh and Afflalo is in Denver.

BALLER71
02-09-2010, 06:56 PM
What about Marcus Thornton?

C-Van
02-09-2010, 07:20 PM
This is good. I think I am going to make one as well. Was waiting to hear DeAndre's name too. Oh and Afflalo is in Denver.

yeah, yeah, yeah. I knew that, he starts over JR, I dunno why I put Detroit, I mean, I know he used to play there, but I knew he he had got traded for a second rounder.

C-Van
02-09-2010, 07:22 PM
One change :)

OH yeah, Carl Landry is good, I just think he is already really good, and alotta people have noticed him. I was thinking more along the lines of other people who haven't been noticed as much.

Chronz
02-09-2010, 07:26 PM
Typically its players with insane efficiency but not alot of touches that have that bust out potential.

Bucsfan
02-09-2010, 07:38 PM
Millsap
Wes Matthews (im hoping, for a rookie he sure is promising)
Ty Lawson (just not sure if he is full time starter material)
Kevin Love
Thaddeus Young

thats all i can think of at the moment

Ollie Tabooger
02-09-2010, 07:38 PM
sig says it all... oh yeah and wesley matthews

Chronz
02-09-2010, 07:39 PM

Thats a solid list I just dont like DeAndre as much as I did last year, hes the biggest offensive liability in the game. You can be a bad free throw shooter in this league and still be a good offensive player, you cannot be a horrendous free throw shooter and expect to make it in this league. Teams will just force you to shoot a shot you cant make. Coupled with the fact that hes turnover prone and we got ourselves a bonafide D-Leaguer. Nothing is holding him back but himself.

I dont know about Aflalo, I think hes being utilized perfectly.

Chronz
02-09-2010, 07:39 PM

Yea but his defense has been rabid

kozelkid
02-09-2010, 07:43 PM
Yea but his defense has been rabid

Maybe, but good defense isn't enough to make you a star, especially as a perimeter player. He really has been brutal offensively overall, especially considering that he has the luxury of playing with Durant.
He really is the definition of a raw player who is very inconsisntet.

Swashcuff
02-09-2010, 07:48 PM
Maybe, but good defense isn't enough to make you a star, especially as a perimeter player. He really has been brutal offensively overall, especially considering that he has the luxury of playing with Durant.

you are being sarcastic right?

C-Van
02-09-2010, 08:04 PM
Thats a solid list I just dont like DeAndre as much as I did last year, hes the biggest offensive liability in the game. You can be a bad free throw shooter in this league and still be a good offensive player, you cannot be a horrendous free throw shooter and expect to make it in this league. Teams will just force you to shoot a shot you cant make. Coupled with the fact that hes turnover prone and we got ourselves a bonafide D-Leaguer. Nothing is holding him back but himself.

I dont know about Aflalo, I think hes being utilized perfectly.

I agree, he does need to work on the free throw shooting, and I did mention the turnover problem. But I do think that with a little work in those areas he can become a stud in this league. Just look at Shaq, He averaged almost 4 turnovers a game in the beginning of his career, and we all know how good of a free throw shooter he is. DeAndre Jordan is a much worse free throw shooter than Shaq ever was, but he can certainly work at it and be a solid offensive force. I agree with what you said, he is the only one holding himself back.

However, I feel like Afflalo can be a stud on a team. We all saw what he could do at UCLA when he lead them to two Final Fours. Whenever you are a wing player, and you shoot the ball at 48% and hit 45% of your threes, you can really be a reliable offensive force. He is an awesome defender, and a great team player. I know he isn't that big, or overally athletic, but he can really be a great third option for a playoff team because of his shot, leadership, and great defense.

C-Van
02-09-2010, 08:10 PM

I agree, I mean I am the biggest Bruce Bowen fan out there, but by no means would I ever consider him a star. In order to be a star on a team you need to have some offensive game.

However, I disagree about Westbrook. He has a very high effeciency rating, and he gets 7.5 assists per game, and his FG% has gone up from last year, and his turnovers have gone down. Obviously he is improving, and eventually he will be an awesome player, and already a good one.

kozelkid
02-09-2010, 08:35 PM
you are being sarcastic right?

What's there to be sarcastic about?
His offense is fairly brutal atm. Inconsistent if you will. He has no business with a ts% below .49 considering the luxury of playing with Durant. Nor such a low A/TO. For the record, I am a big fan of Westbrook. However, he is still very raw on the offensive end.

kozelkid
02-09-2010, 08:38 PM
However, I disagree about Westbrook. He has a very high effeciency rating, and he gets 7.5 assists per game, and his FG% has gone up from last year, and his turnovers have gone down. Obviously he is improving, and eventually he will be an awesome player, and already a good one.

If by efficiency rating, you mean PER, than no it's not very high. It's good, but nothing special atm. His fg% might have went up, but so have his attempts while his fta went down. That's not exactly improvement. His ts% is actually lower than his rookie season. Whatever the reason, he isn't efficient offensively. One thing he has appeared to have improved on, his handling the ball better, but scoring wise, he still has alot of improvements to make, which I don't doubt he can. However, it goes back to my original post where I said that he is still very raw and inefficient.

jim51990
02-09-2010, 09:01 PM
k perk

jsumadchat
02-09-2010, 09:06 PM
amir johnson

Monta is beast
02-09-2010, 09:23 PM
Yeah if morrow could devolope a inside game, and he could work on his dribling he could become a star

Swashcuff
02-09-2010, 10:41 PM
What's there to be sarcastic about?
His offense is fairly brutal atm. Inconsistent if you will. He has no business with a ts% below .49 considering the luxury of playing with Durant. Nor such a low A/TO. For the record, I am a big fan of Westbrook. However, he is still very raw on the offensive end.

To call Westbrook brutal offensively is a serious overstatement. Brutal??? Really??? You are caught up too much on stats and figures and you havent paid attention to his actual play and his progress as a player on offence. He isnt the most efficient he somehow seems to put up big numbers when his team really needs him to and I'll tell you this he sure as hell is not a bad number two option behind KD. Calling him raw is pretty accurate but "Brutal" thats wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too much. You say that as if he is Ben Wallace or something.

Showmeyourtds
02-09-2010, 11:18 PM
speights, westbrook, and thad young who is soo explosive.

Kakaroach
02-09-2010, 11:41 PM
If/when Carlos Boozer leaves Utah, Paul Millsap will bust out much like he did last year and this year when he was the starter.

Also other guys like Jerryd Bayless and young players who aren't getting playing time on some teams.

val_modus
02-10-2010, 12:59 AM
Aaron Brooks if hes not already there, OJ Mayo is very close, needs to improve his defense. Big men i like... Kevin Love has alot of potential and i love Maureise Speights

J$mo0th_3o5
02-10-2010, 01:07 AM
Michael Beasley, Spoelstra is holding him down.

dwadefan03
02-10-2010, 01:12 AM
basically everyone on the warriors. steph curry is a beast. monta ellis has busted out this season. anothy morrow looks like hes gonna have a great career as a scorer, kelena azubuike is one of my favorite role players ever and i feel like he can bust out soon, anthony randolph looked very promising until he was sent to nellies doghouse, and if andris biedrins ever develops any sort of a post game he could be one of the better centers in the league

Bishnoff
02-10-2010, 01:29 AM
Collison, Young, Speights, Morrow, Randolph, and Bayless could all break out if given the opportunity. As a Suns fan, I've already seen most of these guys go for career highs against us.