PDA

View Full Version : Are the Spurs real contenders?

Hellcrooner
02-09-2010, 02:20 AM
I mean they just lost to a Kobeless and Bynumless lakers with Pau playing a good defensive game but mediocre on the offense.

How is that?

Are they really getting that old?

No pun to SPurs fans, im just surprised.

Mavrix
02-09-2010, 02:22 AM
They haven't been contenders all season long.

They'll end up as the 5th or 6th seed behind Lakers, Denver, Mavs, and Jazz.

_KB24_
02-09-2010, 02:37 AM
Nope, they're done. I don't want to hear that they are built "for the playoffs". That is bull. If you don't perform well in the season, your not going to have a deep playoff run. LA, Dallas, Utah, and Denver would easily handle them in a series.

Tha Truth
02-09-2010, 02:59 AM
As of right now, no.

But then again its the Spurs.

cbs134679
02-09-2010, 03:10 AM
Spurs usually pick it up in the second half of the season, as of now though I still think they need a shot-blocking center next to tim.

Lakersfan2483
02-09-2010, 03:12 AM
Out West, they are behind the Lakers and Nuggets in terms of being serious contenders. In order for them to get over the hump, they would have to make a move to upgrade their roster. They need more size on their frontcourt.

tredigs
02-09-2010, 03:13 AM
They're still a very good team, but not a contender at this point. They almost have TOO many mouths to feed, and are too deep. As weird as that sounds. It's messing with their team cohesion a little bit. Jefferson hasn't showed up, either. That hurt them.

That said, anybody else not surprised one bit that the Lakers are beating Western Conference playoff teams without Kobe? This break is the best thing Kobe could've done for himself, he was hurting them with his erratic play and shot chucking, and putting himself in more danger of being an even bigger hobbled mess come playoff time. Props to him for putting his drive and ego aside for a week or two and allowing himself to heal up.

Although, this is pretty much proving that Lebron and Durant deserve to be ahead of him in the MVP race at this point. Not that that matters in the big scheme of things, but risking the onslaught of another PSD battle, it's worth saying.

Chronz
02-09-2010, 03:16 AM
Well they are more of a contender than Dallas but no, they need TP back in the worst way.

Lakersfan2483
02-09-2010, 03:16 AM
They're still a very good team, but not a contender at this point. They almost have TOO many mouths to feed, and are too deep. As weird as that sounds. It's messing with their team cohesion a little bit. Jefferson hasn't showed up, either. That hurt them.

That said, anybody else not surprised one bit that the Lakers are beating Western Conference playoff teams without Kobe? This break is the best thing Kobe could've done for himself, he was hurting them with his erratic play and shot chucking, and putting himself in more danger of being an even bigger hobbled mess come playoff time. Props to him for putting his drive and ego aside for a week or two and allowing himself to heal up.

They beat an old Spurs team and a Blazers' team without Brandon Roy, Oden, Outlaw, and Pryzbilla. The win in Portland wasn't that great as they were missing their best player and most of their frontcourt.. Tonight's win was good, but let's not make a big deal out of 2 games. The real test will be in Utah.

*As far as the Durant comment, he's in the top 5 in terms of MVP discussions, but he will not finish in 1st or 2nd as his team is not winning enough. If he were to lead his team to one of the top records in the entire league and put up great numbers, then he would have a chance.

tredigs
02-09-2010, 03:20 AM
[/B]

They beat an old Spurs team and a Blazers' team without Brandon Roy, Oden, Outlaw, and Pryzbilla. The win in Portland wasn't that great. Tonight's win was good, but let's not make a big deal out of 2 games. The real test will be in Utah.

*As far as the Durant comment, he's in the top 5 in terms of MVP discussions, but he will not finish in 1st or 2nd as his team is not winning enough. If he were to lead his team to one of the top records in the entire league and put up great numbers, then he would have a chance.

Old? C'mon, not that old. Timmy's playing as good as he ever has in his career, and he's their anchor. They're still formidable. And that Blazers team is so deep at guard that they can still compete with anyone when Andre is running the show. Both teams were hurting a bit, but what team isn't.

And with Utah playing at home, that's a game I expect Utah to win if Kobe is playing at the state he's been playing in. And even 100%, it's a crapshoot. So yes, that will be very impressive if they pull that off.

As for Durant, if he can get the THUNDER to a top 4 seed in the West (at 6th right now), and continues to have the Stats he's been pouring in, he absolutely couldn't be lower than 3. And should be 2nd. Lebron is having the best individual year I've seen since Jordan, so I won't go there.

iggypop123
02-09-2010, 03:34 AM
not even marcus camby could save them

TheVoltShow
02-09-2010, 04:04 AM
[/B]

so what youre saying is to win mvp your team has to have one of the top records AND have great numbers? thanks for the info haha

ldc62
02-09-2010, 04:06 AM
Whenever I count them out, they end up winning it. So I'm never going to say the Spurs are done.

ElMarroAfamado
02-09-2010, 04:12 AM
I mean they just lost to a Kobeless and Bynumless lakers with Pau playing a good defensive game but mediocre on the offense.

How is that?

Are they really getting that old?

No pun to SPurs fans, im just surprised.

the spurs are done...they suck and have sucked for a while...all this talk about
"never count them out" ....or "as long as they make the playoffs I wouldnt want to play them"
all these damn cliches people keep on repeating about them just stop...
its over for the Spurs and they are not going to win a title anytime soon

:facepalm:

ElMarroAfamado
02-09-2010, 04:13 AM
Whenever I count them out, they end up winning it. So I'm never going to say the Spurs are done.

lines like these

ElMarroAfamado
02-09-2010, 04:14 AM
Nope, they're done. I don't want to hear that they are built "for the playoffs". That is bull. If you don't perform well in the season, your not going to have a deep playoff run. LA, Dallas, Utah, and Denver would easily handle them in a series.

:clap:

shep33
02-09-2010, 04:22 AM
No. Denver, Utah are the only teams that can hang with the Lakers in the West IMO. Conference finals are gonna be Denver-LA, and San Antonio needs to rebuild.

Joshtd1
02-09-2010, 04:36 AM
Hate to say it, but unless the Spurs can magically turn it all around..we arent. Our defense is garbage, and throw out RJ sucking, and Pop's awful coaching..it hasnt been pretty.

Im not even worried about our offense, because we can score..we just need a better perimeter defender, and an actual tall big man. We do have one who is athletic, fast, can board and block shots..but Pop wont give him a chance which is dumb as hell.

PLAYERS FAN
02-09-2010, 06:09 AM
No. Pop is hurting his team by playing Jefferson at small forward and Blair at center!
His crazy rotation has been terrible! Pop has lost his mind!

JasonJohnHorn
02-09-2010, 10:08 AM
There is no doubt about it, the Spurs are in a funk right now and not playing to their full potential. I'm a big Duncan fan, so I may be biased, but the one thing that is hold the Spurs back right now is the center position, which is why LA had such an easy time last night because Gasol dominates whoever the Spurs throw up against him. I didn't actually get to watch the game last night, so I can't say for sure, but if it went as things have been going, DuJuan Blair was likely guarding Gasol. I'm loving Blair so far this season, but he does have his draw backs, and there are three key ones: he causes turnovers, he commits fouls (though he gets tough calls against him sometimes) and he gives up size on defence. With Ratliff getting very few minutes, and Blair and McDyess splitting minutes at center, there is some issues in the middle for the Spurs and since the Lakers have two all-star calibre centers (Gasol and Bynum), making LA the toughest match-up for them.

Still, with Duncan on the floor, and such a deep wing, it the Spurs can dictate the pace of the game and work out the chemistry issues that have had them running slow out of the gate, I still believe the Spurs can beat any team in the league in a 7 game series, but the Cavs and Lakers- because of their size in the middle, are the toughest match-ups for the Spurs which spells trouble for them since they likely would have to beat both of them for a title this year.

So though its unlikely that the Spurs will be hoisting up a banner this year, they still have a great team and can compete with anybody in the league.

MikefromMars
02-09-2010, 11:42 AM
They're not contenders, but they dont suck. Geez. I don't think they could beat the lakers, but I do think they may be able to slide past the Nugs, Utah, or The Mavs. The problem is they have no chemistry and they are playing too small. Jefferson has been a huge disappointment and I bet R.C. and Holt are wishing they would have saved that 15mil in cap space for this summer. They can't compete with The Lakers and that is crystal clear.

I hate their small line-up.

prodigy
02-09-2010, 11:47 AM
Gotta watch out for the spurs in the play-offs.

TIM DUNCAN!!!!!

koreancabbage
02-09-2010, 11:51 AM
no, they'd get dominated by Lakers, Cavs in a 7 game series. Both those teams are way deeper and talented overall by a huge margin to be beaten in a 7 game series.

#1Mavericksfan
02-09-2010, 11:55 AM
They're not contenders, but they dont suck. Geez. I don't think they could beat the lakers, but I do think they may be able to slide past the Nugs, Utah, or The Mavs. The problem is they have no chemistry and they are playing too small. Jefferson has been a huge disappointment and I bet R.C. and Holt are wishing they would have saved that 15mil in cap space for this summer. They can't compete with The Lakers and that is crystal clear.

I hate their small line-up.

Since when?...the Spurs haven't beat the Mavs in the playoffs since 2003 and the Mavs beat the Spurs in there prime in the 2006 playoffs.

MikefromMars
02-09-2010, 12:15 PM
Since when?...the Spurs haven't beat the Mavs in the playoffs since 2003 and the Mavs beat the Spurs in there prime in the 2006 playoffs.

Their*

I just dont think the matchup is that decisive where I would be willing to count the Spurs out. I think that series could go either way. You can't really count on the Mavs... ever. As a Mavs fan, you should know that. It is required to learn the heimlich maneuver if you root for any team from Dallas. Sucks, but very true.

I think if this thread was titled "Are the mavs really conteders" the same amount of people would say no, because they won't beat LA. They don't have the front court to win a 7 game series. Keep in mind, The Spurs are playing awful, but are still only 2 1/2 games behind Dallas.

IversonIsKrazy
02-09-2010, 02:42 PM
Lakers, Nuggets, Jazz, Mavericks > Spurs

Im honestly hoping that Spurs actually get out of the first round, i cant believe im saying that i am HOPING for Spurs to get out of first round, i hope they play suns first round n beat them again haha.

But they're really not real contenders, but come playoff time there going to be talked abt a lot, but wont do much.

futureman
02-09-2010, 02:49 PM
They need to bring the Center who they own the rights to, thats supposedly the best Center in the euroleague.

Hellcrooner
02-09-2010, 03:09 PM
^Tiago splitter.

I think he will go to the nba in two seasons when his contract is up.

Anyway this year Tomic from Real Madrid and Fran Vazquez From barcelona are playing better.,

BADKNEES
02-09-2010, 03:33 PM
the spurs are done...they suck and have sucked for a while...all this talk about
"never count them out" ....or "as long as they make the playoffs I wouldnt want to play them"
all these damn cliches people keep on repeating about them just stop...
its over for the Spurs and they are not going to win a title anytime soon

Saying "the Spurs suck and have sucked for a while"is a fascinating statement. They are not as feared as they used to be and rightly so but I hardly think they "suck" Whether you realized it or not, teams DON'T want to play them in the playoffs bc they are "playoff tested" and experienced in how to win. Sorry bro but it's true.

C-Van
02-09-2010, 04:51 PM
As a Spurs fan, I am going to say that yes, as of right now, we are not contenders. One of the keys to all of the Spurs titles in the past was having another good defending big man who could help on Timmy D when he needed. We have some other good big men, like Blair (who I think will be solid in a year or two) and Bonner. But both of them are best suited as reserves. McDyess is good, but he has lost quite a few inches on his vert, and has not been playing the best D. We need a solid big man akin to those Rasho Nestorivic's, Fabricio Oberto or Nazr Mohammed's of the past. Someone like Hilton Armstrong (as ridiculous as it sounds), Robin Lopez, or Desagna Diop would help as a long way as cheap and young tradable options that would vastly help Timmy allot on D. I really think we should make some kind of move for Samuel Dalembert, he would really be an effective defender and rebounder, and he has 3-4 years more left on his legs and could be a solid defender for a few more years.

jimbobjarree
02-09-2010, 04:54 PM
they haven't been contenders all season long.

They'll end up as the 5th or 6th seed behind lakers, denver, jazz and mavs

:)

jimbobjarree
02-09-2010, 04:56 PM
^Tiago splitter.

I think he will go to the nba in two seasons when his contract is up.

Anyway this year Tomic from Real Madrid and Fran Vazquez From barcelona are playing better.,

woooo Tomic is a Jazzman

Mavrix
02-09-2010, 05:00 PM
:)

Mavs are in a slump and Jazz are hot right NOW, but this is a 82 game season. Dallas will be the 2nd or 3rd seed, book it.

jimbobjarree
02-09-2010, 06:06 PM
Mavs are in a slump and Jazz are hot right NOW, but this is a 82 game season. Dallas will be the 2nd or 3rd seed, book it.

neverrrrrrrr

MikefromMars
02-09-2010, 06:17 PM
Dallas isn't that great.