PDA

View Full Version : 2nd Best Player on a team that was "Captain"

raptors_fanatic
02-08-2010, 12:15 AM
I know the NBA doesn't stress the use of a "Captain" significantly or as much as an organization such as the NHL or something......in most cases the best player is considered captain....or if there is more than one star, the one who was there first (Paul Pierce???)......well i was just wondering, ALL TIME....current or past:

Any team that has had a captain who was not considered their best/franchise player.....

EX: I'm not too sure but i think Shane Battier was captain of Rockets even when T-Mac & Yao were there........

Chronz
02-08-2010, 12:19 AM
Darrel Armstrong when Tmac was around, wow Tmac really didnt like that leadership role........ nah really though Tmac was co captain with Rafer I believe, then it became Battier and Tmac.

Ragun
02-08-2010, 12:26 AM
turiaf is the 2nd best player on the warriors, but he is their captain.

ManRam
02-08-2010, 12:26 AM
Team Captains:

Boston: Pierce
Nets: Harris
Knicks:
76ers: Sammy and Iggy
Raptors: Bosh
Bulls: Deng, Kirk, Hunter
Cavs: LeBron
Pistons:
Pacers:
Bucks:
Hawks: Johnson
Bobcats: Wallace
Heat: Haslem and Wade
Magic: Howard
Wizards: Bulter and Jamison
Mavs: Dirk
Rockets: Battier and Hayes
Grizzlies: Gasol and Randolph
Hornets: West
Spurs: Duncan
Warriors: Biedrins, Turiaf and Ellis
Clippers: Davis and Kaman
Lakers: Bryant
Suns: Nash and Hill
Kings:
Nuggets: Melo, Martin and Chauncey
T-Wolves:
Thunder: Green and Durant
Blazers: Aldridge and Roy
Jazz: Kirilenko and Williams

I guess I'm surprised Paul is a Hornets captain. Boston's best player is Rondo not Pierce. The Bulls best player is Rose, but he's not captain worthy yet. The Rockets best player is probably not Shane or Hayes...the rest are fine.

Surprised Rip or Prince aren't a captain for Detroit, or Granger for Indy. Tyreke should be a captain next year for sure.

Not sure why some teams don't have them. Don't think it's a coincidence that they all suck.

WoodbridgeSkins
02-08-2010, 12:41 AM
Arenas "was" the Wizards franchise player. They knew better than to ever have him be a captain.

Chacarron
02-08-2010, 12:44 AM
Fisher is captain I think. :shrug:

ko8e24
02-08-2010, 12:53 AM

He and Kobe both, but moreso D. Fish

Wilson
02-08-2010, 12:56 AM

:nod:

I believe Luke Walton is viewed as a team captain as well, but I might be wrong.

Chacarron
02-08-2010, 12:56 AM

It's the main reason he still starting.

RaiderLakersA's
02-08-2010, 01:01 AM

Yeah, Kobe and Fish were co-captains at one point. Not sure if that's still the case.

Anyone else remember when only the captain could talk to the refs? Wow, how quickly that rule faded.

ManRam
02-08-2010, 01:03 AM
Yeah, Kobe and Fish were co-captains at one point. Not sure if that's still the case.

Anyone else remember when only the captain could talk to the refs? Wow, how quickly that rule faded.

That would be AMAZING if they reimplemented and enforced that rule.

Whining is quite possibly the most annoying thing about the NBA right now. It's getting out of hand.

Chronz
02-08-2010, 01:06 AM
Thats still the rule, only the captains can talk to the refs during free throws or a timeout.

RaiderLakersA's
02-08-2010, 01:07 AM
It's the main reason he still starting.

Naw, Fish, Phil Jackson and Kobe are the reasons why Fish starts. Trust and respect goes a long ways in the this league. The reality is, he's not a come off the bench player that can ignite a team. Never was. So it's best to leave him out there with the number 1 squad where his experience and leadership makes up for his declining athleticism. With a starting diet of Kobe, Gasol, Artest and Bynum, one Fish doesn't ruin the meal.

WoodbridgeSkins
02-08-2010, 01:10 AM
Arenas "was" the Wizards franchise player. They knew better than to ever have him be a captain.

Everyone just cares about the Lakers I guess.

ARMIN12NBA
02-08-2010, 01:28 AM
:nod:

I believe Luke Walton is viewed as a team captain as well, but I might be wrong.

He is not.

Wilson
02-08-2010, 01:32 AM
He is not.

Whoops, my mistake...

ChaseMe
02-08-2010, 01:57 AM
Anthony Parker was a captain with Bosh past year.