PDA

View Full Version : Is Kobe worth a new max contract?

RaysFan
02-07-2010, 02:20 AM
What do you guys think? At age 32 (he will be 32 when/if he signs a new max contract) is he really worth $24 million a year for 6 years? He is a great player but if I were the Lakers I would play a little bit of hard ball with him. I would not give him more then 4 years at the max. Where else is Kobe going to go? The Lakers are his team and they are loaded. What other team could he go to for $24 million a year that is anything like LA?

I ask this because I find it interesting that a deal hasn't been reached...at least not to my knowledge. They were supposed to get something done over the summer and it never got done. There has to be a disagreement somewhere.

JermanJaysFan
02-07-2010, 02:24 AM
Absolutely. No question.

Just like Derek Jeter will be worth whatever he wants until the day he can physically no longer walk onto the baseball field- when a guy is such an icon for their fan base like Kobe is, they pay for their salary before they sink a bucket in the pre-season.

JNA17
02-07-2010, 02:28 AM
dumb question, easy answer, yes

close

kblo247
02-07-2010, 02:29 AM
We had this same thread a week or two ago.

lakerboy
02-07-2010, 02:32 AM
Kobe Bryant and LBJ are not just the two faces of the NBA, they are the faces o Basketball all around the world. They're market value is worth more than what they are getting paid.

still1ballin
02-07-2010, 02:39 AM
Yes

Lindystud36
02-07-2010, 02:40 AM
24 million for players like Kobe, LBJ in the NBA or Jeter in the MLB or crosby in the NHL is relatively cheap.

Players that are such icons, generate millions for teams just off of television commercials. Then once fans buy tickets to just see them play. 100 million dollars could be paid to each player in a year and they would still generate a profit for their teams.

KG2TB
02-07-2010, 02:44 AM
I'm in the minority on this one I guess. At 34, 35 he's gonna start to decline. At 37-38 he may be half of what he was during his prime. You can't pay a guy 24 mil a season when their last 3 seasons are gonna be down years. I would sign him to 4 years and then see where he's at physically and enter into another negotiation.

kblo247
02-07-2010, 02:52 AM
I'm in the minority on this one I guess. At 34, 35 he's gonna start to decline. At 37-38 he may be half of what he was during his prime. You can't pay a guy 24 mil a season when their last 3 seasons are gonna be down years. I would sign him to 4 years and then see where he's at physically and enter into another negotiation.

There is the over 36 rule that stops him from getting max then anyway.

Purple&Gold24
02-07-2010, 02:55 AM
Of course. He's earned it. No doubt.

zambo4president
02-07-2010, 03:04 AM
Imagine your jersey sales.

KBfrom8to24
02-07-2010, 03:38 AM
What do you guys think? At age 32 (he will be 32 when/if he signs a new max contract) is he really worth $24 million a year for 6 years? He is a great player but if I were the Lakers I would play a little bit of hard ball with him. I would not give him more then 4 years at the max. Where else is Kobe going to go? The Lakers are his team and they are loaded. What other team could he go to for $24 million a year that is anything like LA?

I ask this because I find it interesting that a deal hasn't been reached...at least not to my knowledge. They were supposed to get something done over the summer and it never got done. There has to be a disagreement somewhere.
He deserve it. He has the best work ethic in the league. He continues to play even with multiple injuries. And for that matter he deserve every cent of his contract. Most of all he is still the best player in the planet.

Hellcrooner
02-07-2010, 03:44 AM
No he should get the max money for the same amount of time gasols extension is in ( wich i think its the same amount of time artest and odom and bynums contracts run)

This way in 4 years Lakers have the ability to resign them for Low contracts ( they are already millionares lests win some more rings and dont be greedy)

at the same time they are able to sign two Max YOUNGER FAgents or 1 Fagent and resign Bynum if he is fianlly worht it ( wich i doubt)

OutOfTHEBLUE
02-07-2010, 04:02 AM
For me, this is a tough one.

I'm a Lakers fan first and foremost, and a Kobe fan second.

Having said that, given the current luxury tax system, and the eventual decline that Kobe WILL experience in the next few years, I'm not so sure I'd give him max money for that long.

Of course, this is hard because I don't ever want to see Kobe in another jersey. I doubt that any Laker fans are thrilled with that notion.

Ideally if we could extend him to keep him under contract for 4 more years at the max, that would be best. Keep in mind, I'm just thinking in hypotheticals here, but I think we can realistically bank on Kobe to give us at least three more spectacular seasons. Even if he starts to decline after that third season at the age of 35, then you'd have one hell of an expiring contract on your hands.

Again, I'm just thinking out loud, because as a Lakers fan I strongly feel it is not in our best interest to give a 32 year old player a max deal for 6 years.

If you disagree with me, then provide me with some statistics and examples...don't just say you disagree. I'd like to know of players that performed at a high enough level past 35 years of age to warrant taking up such a huge chunk of payroll.

Hellcrooner
02-07-2010, 04:04 AM
only MJ and maybe Kareem or Karl Malone

DerekRE_3
02-07-2010, 04:08 AM
No he should get the max money for the same amount of time gasols extension is in ( wich i think its the same amount of time artest and odom and bynums contracts run)

This way in 4 years Lakers have the ability to resign them for Low contracts ( they are already millionares lests win some more rings and dont be greedy)

at the same time they are able to sign two Max YOUNGER FAgents or 1 Fagent and resign Bynum if he is fianlly worht it ( wich i doubt)

It's impossible for you to not mention Pau when talking about anything related to Kobe or the Lakers isn't it?

Hellcrooner
02-07-2010, 04:13 AM
^ did i mention odom artest and bynum too?

im making a team thought so i have to consider all the variables i think

Kyben36
02-07-2010, 04:24 AM
Im my mind, No ****ing way, No offense to kobe, he is a hell of a player, and at his current status, he deserves a max, but in 5-6 years, NO ****ing way.

IMO, he deserves a reverse max, as most of his $ comes now, and it slowly decreases every year. Just my opinion, I dont beleive that when he is 38 he will be anything close to what he is now. with his miles, He will be done by 36 if you ask me.

NO doubt on his current play, he deserves it, but once again, he is 32, and going to be on the decline.

Hawkeye15
02-07-2010, 09:03 AM
sure, for 3 years. He has earned a max salary for a few more years.

mjqusoldier
02-07-2010, 09:23 AM
yes...kobe is still going to be good when he is old because like jordan he is so smart and knows how to adjust. Kobe can't jump like he used to but he still is 1 of the best if not the best players in the league because of his high b-ball iq.

EL HEAT
02-07-2010, 09:55 AM
He is the best player in the nba.

marlinsfan24
02-07-2010, 10:05 AM
I'd give it to him right away

Stay_Swim
02-07-2010, 10:41 AM
Lets see...should the best player in the NBA be paid like it... Um YES. And Im even more dumbfounded that some Lakers fans disagree. Kobe is the greatest right now because of his mechanics, footwork, and intelligence. He knows he can run or jump like Lebron, but does it matter? No? He, unlike Lebron simply knows how to score, not just run into the lane run into someone and get a foul called for you. Kobe is so smart on the court. And didn't MJ win like 3 or 4 more rings after the age of 31? Kobe's like fine wine he's going to continue to get better with age.

Hawkeye15
02-07-2010, 10:56 AM
Lets see...should the best player in the NBA be paid like it... Um YES. And Im even more dumbfounded that some Lakers fans disagree. Kobe is the greatest right now because of his mechanics, footwork, and intelligence. He knows he can run or jump like Lebron, but does it matter? No? He, unlike Lebron simply knows how to score, not just run into the lane run into someone and get a foul called for you. Kobe is so smart on the court. And didn't MJ win like 3 or 4 more rings after the age of 31? Kobe's like fine wine he's going to continue to get better with age.

we will disagree on him being the best player, but players with over 1000 games, who have had decreasing levels of efficiency over the past 3 years (individually), are not getting better with age. Sorry. He has EARNED a 3 year deal at max money for example, but he will not be playing like a max player 3-4 years from now. But I do think he has earned a 3 year, $65 million contract for example.
and MJ came into the league at 21, and sat 2 years of his prime. So by Kobe's age, he still had a lot left

Giantwarrior
02-07-2010, 11:25 AM
kobe has earned double his pay check the way he dedicates himself every year to improve his game. this year alone he was with Hakeem leaning post moves and shooting with his left hand. He maybe a bit slower when hes 36 but he will be wiser. he find ways to get better and to win.

so yes he deserves one max contract. no more then 4-5 years.

DaBUU
02-07-2010, 01:10 PM
of course he is

magichatnumber9
02-07-2010, 01:39 PM
We can dispute this all we want but I highly doubt Kobe is gonna ask for a max contract. The guy wants to win and he realizes he can't do it alone. Him getting a max contract only lessens his chance to win. And lets face it Kobe is not worried about money.

showtym24
02-07-2010, 02:07 PM
Absolutely. No question.

Just like Derek Jeter will be worth whatever he wants until the day he can physically no longer walk onto the baseball field- when a guy is such an icon for their fan base like Kobe is, they pay for their salary before they sink a bucket in the pre-season.

Dont ever compare derek jeter to kobe bryant ever again. Thank you.

And to anwser the question yes.

Raph12
02-07-2010, 02:11 PM
He can go anywhere he wants, he's Kobe ****ing Bryant!

superkegger
02-07-2010, 05:31 PM
He's practically a cult in LA. He's worthy whatever the Lakers can play him, because they're assured to get in back in what he brings in.